MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Peter Smith

Countdown to AK's first A320

I'm really surprised to read this: I never ever had any problems at BKI, be it either at T1 or T2 or along Jln Selangor....or is it, because I'm orang putih ?

Pieter,

My "orang putih" also tried to do something like that but was told off after I had my share of it.

:p

Anyway, is it because there are some sensitive military equipment at T2 such that photography was disallowed?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Unless the occasional USA military or private jets are to be kept secret....

Yes SV, with the wide stairs leading up to it from the departure hall seating area (also a cafe / bar there as well I recall) I dunno if you're old enough, but there used to be a decorative pond at bottom of the stairs at first, complete with gold fishes / carp (too young to tell the difference then !) The viewing gallery was certainly much airier and brighter than the dingy lounge downstairs.

Sorry however, need to shatter your childhood reminiscence (actually our childhood reminiscence !) - as far as I know, the place has been demolished ! T2 was left abandoned for quite some years after everything moved to T1, neglect crept in and if I remember correctly, there was even a fire. It's only within the last what, 4-5 years the place was refurbished and new roof put in etc. Sadly, not much at the place now that one can identify from days past.

very unfortunately, nowaday, the T2 no more viewing gallery.... :( if it does not hide anywhere la... :p also the fish, as u mention also invisible... also also the pond fill full by DUST and foot print. :lol:

Sherman,

You do realize I was referring to times when BKI's main (and only!) terminal was where T2 is now ? Something like 30 years or so ago !

Not the spiral staircase with pool of water at bottom as existing presently, the old stairway leading up to the viewing gallery (then) would have been somewhere near the x-ray machine at check-in counter area nowadays, I reckon.

If what I'm saying makes any sense to anyone, welcome to the 'oldies' corner !! :lol: :lol:

Sherman,

You do realize I was referring to times when BKI's main (and only!) terminal was where T2 is now ? Something like 30 years or so ago !

Not the spiral staircase with pool of water at bottom as existing presently, the old stairway leading up to the viewing gallery (then) would have been somewhere near the x-ray machine at check-in counter area nowadays, I reckon.

If what I'm saying makes any sense to anyone, welcome to the 'oldies' corner !! :lol: :lol:

i do realize that, thats y i said 'unfortunately nowadays'..... hope u realize too...

Actually, if one stretches one's imagination, there are spots for viewing at T2 now - the offices located on 1/F level. I once had to clear a consignment of goods at T2 and was directed to the handling agent's office there. For once I wasn't bothered how long it took them to complete all the documentation !!

Actually, if one stretches one's imagination, there are spots for viewing at T2 now - the offices located on 1/F level. I once had to clear a consignment of goods at T2 and was directed to the handling agent's office there. For once I wasn't bothered how long it took them to complete all the documentation !!

r u mean the AK office which at 1st floor nowadays?

r u mean the AK office which at 1st floor nowadays?

Not certain whose offices are up there now, but 1st floor it is. Stretch of one's imagination meaning to think up some excuse, however lame it may be, to have some business requiring one's presence there (summary = Cari Hal !) :lol:

From what I can remember from my childhood, the current BKI has different roof than the original terminal? Can you confirm, BC? I always have a sense of that area being an industrial area, thanks to the gigantic Shell kerosene tank standing at the end of the road. Architecturally, this is a really bad move! :)

I can't remember there is a pond at the bottom of the steps, not to mention that it is completed with gold fishes! Another thing I remember is the horrible baggage carousel next to the waiting lounge. I think at the original waiting lounge, they have located the waiting lounge and baggage carousel together? It is faint memory..... I remember it because this is one of the places where I am able to see a DC-10 or A300 parked there and occasionally Royal Brunei's B737-2M6 Adv and B727-200.

It was quite a bit of a "total recall" when I revisited Terminal 2 some years ago at BKI. The overhead 'gateway' structure with WELCOME TO KOTA KINABALU, SABAH written on it at the road leading to the terminal still stands, not too sure if it is original. BC, you know what I am talking about right?

Thanks for bringing back some lost memory of mine, BC... I must fly with AK to BKI in order to experience that terminal again.

Edited by S V Choong

(1) ..... the current BKI has different roof than the original terminal?

(2) ..... thanks to the gigantic Shell kerosene tank standing at the end of the road

(3) ..... the horrible baggage carousel next to the waiting lounge

(4) ..... The overhead 'gateway' structure ... if it is original

(5) ..... to experience that terminal again.

(1) Yes, the current 'winged' structure is very different from the 'original'

(2) But it's about the only recognisable relic at T2 from yesteryears ! (refer 4 below)

(3) The place was really overstretched during the last few years before operations was moved to where T1 is now. I guess it is a tribute to those in charge they managed to cope best they could with what they had, albeit with almost constant extensions, upgrading, modifications. Those would also have been the years I was away for studies, so, not much recollection of that era

(4) Yes, I believe the same structure is still standing after all these years - still greeting visitors !

(5) For better or worse, it is a totally different experience nowadays. For years after BKI 'relocated' to T1, it was a pleasure to experience the strikingly similar atmosphere at old TWU. I suppose the nearest nowadays would be LDU !

(5) For better or worse, it is a totally different experience nowadays. For years after BKI 'relocated' to T1, it was a pleasure to experience the strikingly similar atmosphere at old TWU. I suppose the nearest nowadays would be LDU !

Let me see if I could still find any pics of the old TWU.... I wonder what it is like at LDU? I bet most LDU resident will try take a 1.5 hour drive to reach TWU and take a flight to KUL from there! Alternatively 2.5 hour drive to SDK.

LDU is very much like old TWU, only about half the size though. Orientation of terminal vs runway is quite different though - whilst at TWU it was at about half length and to one side of runway, at LDU it's more like a 'Kai Tak' layout.

Incidentally, old LBU also of very similar layout and design.

AK eager to start Dhaka near future, don't knoW what will happen with Biman, hope not like PAL.

AK is going to start Dhaka ? That's new to me.

AK is going to start Dhaka ? That's new to me.

AirAsia eager to start operations in Dhaka

The Daily Star

Publication Date : 2006-03-08

Malaysia-based AirAsia is eager to start operations in Dhaka as the airline sees huge business prospects in Bangladesh. "We see a huge prospect of operating flights from Bangladesh, with a large number of passengers flying to Malaysia, Thailand and other cities in the region," Kamaruddin Meranun, group deputy chief executive officer of the airline, told a press conference in Dhaka yesterday (March 7).

The high official of the company is now in Bangladesh to explore the possibilities of regional airline operation in association with East-West Airlines of Bangladesh.

East-West Airlines, a sister concern of Orion Group, has already obtained Provisional Air Transport Operating Licence. The airline is planning to operate flights on domestic routes.

"The expected deal between AirAsia and East-West Airlines on operating both domestic and international flights will be the first foreign direct investment in Bangladesh's aviation sector," K. Mojibul Hoq, executive president of Orion Group, told the briefing at Bangladesh-China Friendship Conference Centre.

In the open sky policy regime, the initiative of joint co-operation between East-West Airlines and AirAsia will be a huge boost for the development of the aviation sector, Hoq noted.

AirAsia began its operations in Malaysia in 1996 and now has expanded its services to Thailand and Indonesia through joint ventures.

The airline is now operating 100 flights a day from four hubs located in Kuala Lumpur and Johor Baru in Malaysia.

AirAsia eager to start operations in Dhaka

The Daily Star

Publication Date : 2006-03-08

Malaysia-based AirAsia is eager to start operations in Dhaka as the airline sees huge business prospects in Bangladesh. "We see a huge prospect of operating flights from Bangladesh, with a large number of passengers flying to Malaysia, Thailand and other cities in the region," Kamaruddin Meranun, group deputy chief executive officer of the airline, told a press conference in Dhaka yesterday (March 7).

The high official of the company is now in Bangladesh to explore the possibilities of regional airline operation in association with East-West Airlines of Bangladesh.

East-West Airlines, a sister concern of Orion Group, has already obtained Provisional Air Transport Operating Licence. The airline is planning to operate flights on domestic routes.

"The expected deal between AirAsia and East-West Airlines on operating both domestic and international flights will be the first foreign direct investment in Bangladesh's aviation sector," K. Mojibul Hoq, executive president of Orion Group, told the briefing at Bangladesh-China Friendship Conference Centre.

In the open sky policy regime, the initiative of joint co-operation between East-West Airlines and AirAsia will be a huge boost for the development of the aviation sector, Hoq noted.

AirAsia began its operations in Malaysia in 1996 and now has expanded its services to Thailand and Indonesia through joint ventures.

The airline is now operating 100 flights a day from four hubs located in Kuala Lumpur and Johor Baru in Malaysia.

Thanks for that. Will be interesting to see how things turn out to be.

BC, remember that there used to be a spacious viewing gallery upstairs of BKI old terminal (currently Terminal 2)??

SV,

More nostalgia ?!!

IPB Image

Courtesy of "Sejarah Sabah Dalam Gambar 1881-1981"

Pic apparently copyrighted by Sabah State Govt, hope they don't mind ! :unsure:

Don't worry Bing Chu, I think this is exactly what the Sabah Govt wants with this picture, that is to help promoting the history of the state.

Nice picture anyway. Any date?

Nice picture anyway. Any date?

Caption under says "around 1970's" Credit for pic should go to the State Archives - there are some jewels there !

Yeah, nice pix, hope the Sabah gov. doesn't bash u

BTW, AFF just born

When is it due for delivery to AK ? Or is it already in service with AK ?

I i not mistaken the new Airbus will include the recline seat.. correct me if i'm wrong..

-cheers- :lol:

FYI, here are the details of the flying AK A320-214's

9M-AFA msn2612

9M-AFB msn2633

9M-AFC msn2656 "Red Devil"

9M-AFD msn2683

9M-AFE msn2699

9M-AFF msn2760

9M-AFG msn2816

9M-AFH msn2826 (in TLS)

9M-AFI msn2842 (in TLS)