MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H Azmal

AirAsia flight cancellations staggering

AirAsia flight cancellations staggering

Our investigations have revealed AirAsia's staggering 67 flight cancellations compared to Jetstar Asia, which canceled just four over the same period while performing double the number of flights. AirAsia has repeatedly proven it is economical with the truth and it is not even close to approaching acceptable international standards organisationally.

Yes, the latest independent figures from the renowned flightstats.com highlighted AirAsia's staggering 67 flight cancellations compared to Australia’s Jetstar Asia which had a mere four between January and March. Malaysians, however, are entirely unmoved that our 'national carrier' is otherwise becoming the 'Aeroflot of the East'.

Is AirAsia going to suggest that due to unforeseen circumstances they encountered sixty-three more instances of bad luck than Jetstar? Or will they admit to aborting scheduled flights that didn't rake in enough passengers, offloading them to fill later flights? If this is not a breach of contract, then it is certainly a breach of ethics.

Let's assume a flight gets aborted when it is significantly under half-full. By our estimation, that amounts to roughly 4000 plus people per month on average that paid for a flight, only to find it was aborted by AirAsia.

Disappearing along with each aborted flight went whatever holiday plans, reunions, business meetings, connecting flights - and the occasional dying relative - that awaited each passenger at their destination. AirAsia X is on that same flight-path.

Add to this AirAsia's pocketing of refunds and airport taxes that should and could be returned to tens of thousands of customers and misleading marketing that is widely seen as illegal in the civilised world.

At least AirAsia is consistent. If anything, staff is disregarded even more than passengers. Trainee pilots, upon graduation, have more hours squeezed out of them than most countries aviation regulations allow.

All that and Air Asia celebrates and trumpets about several insignificant awards. Meanwhile, its competitors are quietly getting on with the business of actually carrying passengers from A to B and winning major global awards. With none of the self-congratulations and cheesy spin doctoring, the Australians and Singaporeans (Tiger Airways) have made Malaysia look entirely Third World .

Of course, silence does not equate with compliance to ethics or the law. In fact, it could be argued that the longer AirAsia escape an independent inquiry, the worse they will become. If you do not like what you see. Please become a member of the Petition for an Independent Investigation of AirAsia.

it is bad, especially now during the off peak season. my dad was scheduled on the 1pm flight to PEN today afternoon, and due to low pax, they decided to call it off. so happened for the first flight out to CGK last whole week where they cancelled it and also the first flight to REP too. business seems to be more like a game for them.

Our investigations have revealed AirAsia's staggering 67 flight cancellations compared to Jetstar Asia, which canceled just four over the same period while performing double the number of flights. AirAsia has repeatedly proven it is economical with the truth and it is not even close to approaching acceptable international standards organisationally.

Jetstar Asia only has a fleet of 5, while AirAsia has nearly ten times as many at 47 (Malaysia-based only). How could Jetstar Asia have flown double the number of flights within the same period? The initial statement must be true or else they're not actually comparing apple with apple.

during the March school holiday, my brother and sister flight back KK from KL also canceled. but fortunately they call we the before and offering we either the earlier flight or next flight. another word is don't expect too much from a LCC. please don't hentam me, just my opinion. :pardon:

Jetstar Asia only has a fleet of 5, while AirAsia has nearly ten times as many at 47 (Malaysia-based only). How could Jetstar Asia have flown double the number of flights within the same period? The initial statement must be true or else they're not actually comparing apple with apple.

I think they are probably referring to just the KUL - SIN route. Which makes sense as AirAsia flies twice daily each way while both Tiger Airways and Jetstar Asia has only one flight a day each way.

No they are talking about all flights.

What a waste of time to even compare the two. 3K has about a 10th if not less of the routes AK does, fleets are comparable in size. Must have been a sloooooooooow news day.

Just to share a few bad experiences I had with AK

1. In 2006 year end my office had a training in KCH and we took Air Asia. The original schedule was I think 8:30pm. Delayed for 1 hour. Checked-in and boarded the plane, engine died. Cannot start so waited for awhile before everyone boarded another plane. Halfway refueling and thunderstorm came. Air steward cannot close the door due to the stairs still connected to the plane so front row carpet all wet. Rain stopped and continue refueling. After that taxi to end of runway and as I was bracing myself for the take-off the plane slowly roll back to terminal. Captain addressed that due to extension of Kuching airport the airport had to be shutdown after 12pm. We would not be able to make it before 12pm. Had excuse not to attend the training.

2. My mum booked the inaugural flight from BKI-PEN. She was heading back to Penang for Ching Meng. Flight scheduled at 7am so we checked in very early. Around 9am mum called said flight delayed to an unknown time. Around 12pm another delay. Another delayed at 2pm. Finally mum called flight canceled at 7pm! I went to the airport and there was a commotion as some Penangites were furious and they demanded answers at the AK office on the first floor T2. Security personnel had to be called in to handle the situation. At one point I thought of lodging a police report against AK for illegally confining my mum. AK finally fixed the problem at around 9pm and they offer either we continue with the flight or take another one another day. My mum took the same flight 2 days later. For the 12 hours AK held my mum in the departure hall they only gave her and the rest of the passengers 1 plain bread and 1 bottle of 325ml water each. My MAS flight from Labuan to KK was delayed for 30 minutes and we were given mixed veggie rice, water and an apple! Due to this incident I started using my this signature in DAC - "Air Asia - Not Everyone can Fly".

3. Last month was supposed to travel to KL on the 12pm flight to attend a formal function at 7pm that night. This was the next day after I came back from SZX. Around 10am received an sms that the flight has been canceled and asked to choose another flight instead. Thought they would automatically put me on the next flight so went to airport at 1pm for the 2pm flight. No name and that flight and the 4pm flight also full. Phone boss if still need to travel as by the time reach KL function already over. Boss said cancel the trip.

4. On the 9/4 - a day after election again to KL with boss but different flight. Boss booked the 10am and I took the 12pm. Boss' flight was canceled and ended up the same flight with me. The flight was full to the brink so we suspected that AK was putting passengers for 2 flights into 1.

Personally I suspected that with the number of flights between KK-KL each day AK probably canceled at least 1 flight everyday. You can choose a flight but not necessary that that particular flight would fly. Anyway that's my own opinion.

Weird enough, I never had any problem traveling with AK, their ground staffs were mostly friendly, on-time performance.

Whereas MH gave me tons of troubles, delay, rude ground staff, delay without any information and many more.

All in all, I think it all depends on luck? I must also admit MH did gave me really good experience, so did AK.

So far, I've not had any problems with AK(touch wood!), all of my flights have been very pleasant and on time. My flight to Sibu last Saturday at 0655 had only about 50% load. :lol:

But then again, we don't have much choice here. If MAS does not lower their fare, or no other LCC be allowed to operate domestically, it's AK all the way.

One of the reason why I never fly LCC.

If fly medium cost or legacy carrier, they will still go on even if there's not many pax.

I think, AK must fix this problem quickly,

why AK adding new route whereas they often experience delay??? like KCH -Bali, KK- Bali...

The routes you mentioned are operated by QZ not AK.

I hope the routes are profitable and kept.

As penalty for flight cancellation is low, it is likely that AK consolidate flights when load is low. :sorry:

Believe we need legislation to penalise irresponsible and greedy company or better still, if there is another strong LCC to compete with AK.

However, consumer rights and protection is not important or priority to gomen. :angry:

:clapping:

QZ is indonesia airasia?

Correct junior. You can enjoy nasi goreng and teh botol sosro kotak onboard.

i think the route v many flights per day will b the unlucki route

coz everyday check flights at KLIA website saw many cancellation flight to Kuching kk langkawi.....

btw, the load for the flight to hanoi hochiminh hongkong haikou guangzhou are really good

hope they will increase the frequency but not..... cancel @@

i think the route v many flights per day will b the unlucki route

coz everyday check flights at KLIA website saw many cancellation flight to Kuching kk langkawi.....

btw, the load for the flight to hanoi hochiminh hongkong haikou guangzhou are really good

hope they will increase the frequency but not..... cancel @@

wow... ur words r so pro... s like ur name. :clapping:

everyday check flights at KLIA website saw many cancellation flight to Kuching kk langkawi.....

Baaaahhh, BKI & LGK are exactly the flights I booked for June !!1 :blink: :blink:

Hope, operational reliability better that time... :pardon:

i too had a few bad experience with AK. They cant just simply delay or rather "retime"(as AK would prefer to call it) flights again n again... Hopefully d authority can do something about it...

Some might suggest that we r nt suppose to complain as AK is a "low cost" carrier. but i personally think tat "low cost" doesn't mean "delay/retime"! a flight is stil a flight whether is "full fare" or "low cost"...

i think the route v many flights per day will b the unlucki routecoz everyday check flights at KLIA website saw many cancellation flight to Kuching kk langkawi.....btw, the load for the flight to hanoi hochiminh hongkong haikou guangzhou are really goodhope they will increase the frequency but not..... cancel @@
1 other incident, only this time not related to flight cancellation.Was coming back from KL in Feb along with some friends. Our scheduled flight was at 7:30pm and when we reached LCCT the electronic board displayed our flight as delayed. Since we were already there we might as well check in but when we clarify with the attendant at the check-in counter, she said flight is on time. So obviously the display board was incorrect! :blink:Please check with as many people as possible when you are flying on AK.
i too had a few bad experience with AK. They cant just simply delay or rather "retime"(as AK would prefer to call it) flights again n again... Hopefully d authority can do something about it...Some might suggest that we r nt suppose to complain as AK is a "low cost" carrier. but i personally think tat "low cost" doesn't mean "delay/retime"! a flight is stil a flight whether is "full fare" or "low cost"...
Yeah, low cost but still pay. Besides, not really low cost lah. Edited by waiping

Dunno about you guys, but we used AK on average 2x a month for last 3 yrs, and everything generally fine, no real complaints.

Just got back from SGN. Flew inaugural flight AK146 (AHH) last Tue, arrived SGN on the dot. Returned to KUL just now with AK147 (AFW), arrived a whopping 25min early :good:. Am thinking of doing another AK trip to SGN next week, but no more seats on preferred dates. Many tourists from Vietnam now visiting Malaysia because of AK, like in AK147 I was in.

Btw my next confirmed flight with AK is KUL-LBU on 1/5.

Last year AK canceled my KCH flight and I was put on the next flight to KCH, nothing to do but get bored at that tin shed they called a terminal. Return to KUL, the flight was delayed. This year my AK flights to BKI was perfect and on time. Next flight with AK is in 2 months to LGK. Should be interesting to see their on time performance.

From my experience, it's the LCC's that have a problem with on time performance, perhaps just my rotten luck. For example DJ was delayed for 3 hrs, 1.5 of those hours was stuck in the DJ plane on the tarmac at OOL, almost missed by connection at SYD.

OS was delayed and canceled in VIE but that was snow related.

A few years ago I was in PEN. I had a MH flight from KUL to AMS in the late evening. Got to the airport mid afternoon to get AK flight to KUL but was cancelled and later flight was full, so in order to catch MH flight to AMS, had to get a one way with MH which was a blessing in disguise as I managed to tag my luggage all the way to AMS.

Sign in to follow this