MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
KC Sim

Singapore Airshow 2008 - 19-24 February 2008

The Singapore Airhsow kicks off today with the first of four trade days . . . followed by two public days on Saturday and Sunday.

The new airshow venue is absolutely beautiful. Occupying a seaside location, it is constantly washed with a seabreeze that (according to a crew member from the RAAF Roulettes) was gusting up to 40 knots.

It was media day yesterday and here's a trio of shots just to give you a glimpse of some of the highlights . . . tonnes of pictures begging to be processed.

The six-ship Black Knights aerobatic team from the Republic of Singapore Air Force opens the show each day . . . but in this shot, only four of the Black Knights are seen climbing into the blue yonder . . .

mw-BlackKnights-2008-02-18-01Cr-Cli.jpg

The US Air Force along with its Navy cousins provide much of the foreign military hardwares including a C-130J, B-1B, two F-15s, an F-16, an F-A-18 Super Hornet, a KC-135.

mw-ZZ-AF84-0025-2008-02-18-01Cr-Ref.jpg

Wowing the crowd - definitely the crow-pleaser - is this Airbus A380 with the "Greener, Cleaner, Quieter, Smarter" slogan. It is seen on its final pass in front of the crowd just before leaving the show site at the end of each day's performance.

mw-F-WWOW-2008-02-18-04Cr-Greener-F.jpg

More shots from others and me will follow in the coming days. For other MalaysianWings friends coming to the Singapore Airshow 2008, remember to add a cap to your survival kit. Transportation to and from the site is via a shuttle bus from and to the EXPO MRT Station ($5 one-way). Tonnes of photography opportunities whenever aircraft are being towed. So keep your eyes peeled for such action.

KC Sim

Wow KC.... superb photos! :clapping: :clapping:

I like the dugong's pix... the wing reflecting the tagline on the fuselage

great shot there :good:

Can't wait for other shots... as well from other shooters... :D

I knew you were going to say that Simon... hahaha... :pardon:

It Damn Hot To Miss~!! Cilaka.. Working this Saturday.. and Gaji blum dapat lagi aduuhaai~!!! :ninja:

Btw. Nice Shot Guyz.. especialy the massive A380..

hhhmmm...

Can we buy trade pass there??

Thanks for the update...the B-1B...can we go Close to it?? I mean walk very near the plane? Like underneath it?...

I guess...more to come.

Fantastic! Great coverage! Keep 'em coming!

Thanks KC :clapping: :good: Thanks tsentsan :clapping: :good:

hhhmmm...

Thanks for the update...the B-1B...can we go Close to it?? I mean walk very near the plane? Like underneath it?...

I guess...more to come.

I think the trade pass is available at SGD50 per day or SGD150 for the entire trade days... go to their website.. should be somewhere there,...

Wow nice dramatic pix KC and TTT!

Something new about this airshow is that aircraft would be towed along the public road to take off from the adjacent air base. In other words, it is for once able to get very decent shots of some aircraft participating in the aircraft without paying a single cent for admission.

Wide angle is definitely needed! A significant part of the wing passes over you as it makes the turn into the airbase taxiway later.

F-WWOW_taxiin_MW.jpg

And of course a whole new background to catch her in when she returns after the flying display to be towed back to the static display area.

F-WWOW_taxi_MW.jpg

As for getting to the airshow, I recommend taking the hotel shuttle instead as it is much more value for money due to the longer journey time (but save on MRT fare to expo), more comfortable buses (tour coaches) ($5 also). The hotel shuttle runs every half hour and tickets are sold at the Tour East set up in the hotel lobby. They take about 40mins and depart from Meritus Mandarin, Pan Pacific, Marina Oriental, Marina Mandarin and Swissotel.

19 February 2008 - First Trade Day. Weather was very sunny.

The Black Knights opened the flying display as usual. Today's flying display was beefed up by the participation of the Korean Aerospace Industry (KAI) A-50 Golden Eagle. This is competing against the Aermacchi M-346 for a Singapore trainer order.

Here the Black Knights is seen performing a burst in a nice blue sky.

mw-BlackKnights-2008-02-19-02Cr-Bur.jpg

And crossing one another . . .

mw-BlackKnights-2008-02-19-01Cr-Cro.jpg

The A380's departure and return to the static park is as much a highlight as its flying display itself. It is seen here in a nose-on study . . . showing clearly the flex in the wing.

mw-F-WWOW-2008-02-19-02Cr-TOW.jpg

mw-F-WWOW-2008-02-19-01Cr-TOW.jpg

Malaysia's Hornbill Skyways' Super King Air B200 is also in the static park.

mw-N34008-2008-02-19-01-HornbillSky.jpg

F-OKEF . . . a Eurocopter heli from Indonesian Air Transport (IAT) is seen here in a lovely blue livery.

mw-F-OKEF-2008-02-19-01Cr-IAT-RMS.jpg

The Royal Australian Air Force's Pilaus PC-9 aerobatic team - the Roulettes . . . is seen here executing a loop.

mw-Roulettes-2008-02-19-01Cr-Loop.jpg

Absolutely worn out by the heat . . . lots more pics remain unprocessed.

KC Sim

hhhmmm...

I guess...more to come.

Trade pass - Yes you can buy. $50 a pop.

B-1B - No, you cant. On media preview day we were allowed to do so. So something like this can be shot:

DSC_5755.jpg

Sign in to follow this