MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Y. J. Foo

Subang Skypark Development Including New RM 1.5 Billion KTM Rail Link

1 hour ago, JuliusWong said:

Drove past the airport a few weeks ago, the area across the the airport, those ex-Malaysia Airlines buildings, and sports complex are now all hoarded up. 

Heard the land area at those location will be sold to a GLC entity. The only thing left still operating is some of the leftover MAS SIM centre which is still pending the completion of the KLIA south zone sim building. But for the adjacent MAS hangar those are now operated by SIA engineering.

Heard this new terminal for phase 3 will include a mall LOL i just hope its not one of those gotta walk through the shopping mall before check in like KLIA 2.

5 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

The whole NST article doesn't give any confidence any Malaysia-based airlines are interested in commencing jet service in SZB. 

I am pretty sure MH wants to use SZB. AK was begging to stay at SZB last time and I'd be very surprised if they don't want to begin operations there again. This is not only limited to domestic but regional as well. And if neither airlines apply for slots, they will lose the ability to apply when demand grows because it will be a slot restricted airport.

5 hours ago, jahur said:

Supposed land acquisition.

That looks like former T2 along with (former?) Airod, DCA and Met Office area? What happened to the former T1 area? IIRC, it was meant to be some hangar or engineering building but I don't recall seeing anything there. Isn't ex-T1 land better? It's larger (and IIRC, it has at least 14 gates back then) and a huge parking facility and it's closer to the roundabout. 

Subang Airport Road isn't the best right now and getting in there between 5 and 7:30 is a huge pain. Can't imagine catching a 6-8 PM flight there.I hope there are plans to either have a spur LRT line from the Kelana Line or the KTM Subang Skypark link running at least every 30 minutes for people to take it (not too sure if heavy rail is the best answer either). A spur link will be the best since it can effectively decrease headways for the busier part of the Kelana line.

2 hours ago, Robert said:

SKS and perhaps Singapore's Scoot will. Wouldn't be surprised if AK wants to return as well.

I don't think it's a Scoot destination. It's more likely a SQ mainline destination. I can imagine it'd be a premium flight. The most affluent neighborhoods around Klang Valley are within 20-25 minutes drive (without traffic) of SZB.

2 hours ago, jahur said:

Heard this new terminal for phase 3 will include a mall LOL i just hope its not one of those gotta walk through the shopping mall before check in like KLIA 2.

Hopefully it's not WCT/Pavilion Group developing this project 😅. They aren't the best (and I am being very polite) but from their last press release, it seems like it's WCT 😓. Hopefully they will include some sort of rail link or at worst, pedestrian friendly walk to the current KTM station. They aren't known for designing anything with pedestrians in mind to maximize parking charges (e.g. Pavilion Damansara Heights).

1 hour ago, Craig said:

That looks like former T2 along with (former?) Airod, DCA and Met Office area? What happened to the former T1 area? IIRC, it was meant to be some hangar or engineering building but I don't recall seeing anything there. Isn't ex-T1 land better? It's larger (and IIRC, it has at least 14 gates back then) and a huge parking facility and it's closer to the roundabout. 

Subang Airport Road isn't the best right now and getting in there between 5 and 7:30 is a huge pain. Can't imagine catching a 6-8 PM flight there.I hope there are plans to either have a spur LRT line from the Kelana Line or the KTM Subang Skypark link running at least every 30 minutes for people to take it (not too sure if heavy rail is the best answer either). A spur link will be the best since it can effectively decrease headways for the busier part of the Kelana line.

Heard some of the GA companies and etc will be relocating near the former T1 area. The AFRS will be moving to the opposite end of the runway near the TUDM area. Airod and NADI will stayput. Technically SZB airport will be the combination of Skypark and the old T2 area.

I agree with you they need to settle the road asap. The road along Cita mall during evening is madness lol and i got caught up in it twice that i personally avoid it like a plague.

1 hour ago, jahur said:

I agree with you they need to settle the road asap. The road along Cita mall during evening is madness lol and i got caught up in it twice that i personally avoid it like a plague.

The problem with that is a lot of traffic are bound for Ara Damansara and they all get stuck at the Sime Darby flyover/traffic light. And there's a huge bottleneck near the Glenmarie LRT station. It's concrete beams all over making the road there as good as it gets. If they can get a spur line running through Ara Damansara to SZB, I think that'll alleviate a bit of traffic.

12 hours ago, Craig said:

The problem with that is a lot of traffic are bound for Ara Damansara and they all get stuck at the Sime Darby flyover/traffic light. And there's a huge bottleneck near the Glenmarie LRT station. It's concrete beams all over making the road there as good as it gets. If they can get a spur line running through Ara Damansara to SZB, I think that'll alleviate a bit of traffic.

Subang Airport road is like a cancer spreading from time to time. There was no central planning for this road. Everytime a developer builds, the road gets widened, The section between Citta Mall and NKVE interchange was not widened and became a bottleneck. Past that, NKVE traffic pouring out of the highway caused congestion and the jam is there most times of the day - its only a question of how long the tailbacks are. 

Seriously, SZB's capacity must be compromised because of the transportation problems. KTM must really step up and provide a good, high frequency service from Sentral. Otherwise, the investment put into building that line is really wasted.

Looks like some ramp work is being conducted from bay 36 onwards.

On 3/14/2024 at 2:56 PM, JuliusWong said:

Oh dear, Phase 3 the capacity will be expanded to 8 million. RIP Jalan Lapangan Terbang Subang.

Btw, doesn't the MAHB senior general manager for strategy knows that Batik Air has stopped their ATR services last month? And they have made it clear they are not coming back to SZB with jet services? The whole NST article doesn't give any confidence any Malaysia-based airlines are interested in commencing jet service in SZB. MAG CEO Captain Izham last year has stated they need to engage with industry players and policymakers to avoid cannibalisation. Batik Air CEO also said they won't be returning to SZB. Really don't know what is happening behind the scene.

From where you got info that OD not planning to return to SZB with jet operations?

In this article, Chandran mentioned that they are interested to start jet operations once the airport is ready because they have the slots already: https://www.nst.com.my/business/corporate/2023/10/971775/batik-air-malaysia-add-three-more-aircraft-year-end-expansion-asia

"We're preparing ourselves to have more jets subject to regulatory approval and the opening up of Subang Airport for jet operations.""If Subang (Airport) is opening up with jet (operations), then we can immediately get into that market because we have the slots available. We have our ground handling available. We have all the infrastructure," Chandran said."

Edited by Adam Lawrence

Now it says end of march 2 jet aircraft parking available?

Subang airport revamp will produce 8.7 billion gross output a year once completed

By the end of this month, two jets will be parked here under the airport’s interim jet operations.

He said currently, it can only hold 11 ATR aircraft, but the redesign will make the airport capable of housing five ATR aircraft and six jets.

“Helicopter business aviation you will see here, not much in Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA),” Randhill said adding that that the cargo services in Subang will be demolished and moved to KLIA.

I am curious why the international security/immigration gates are gates 28-32-ish whilst the jets (assume it's for international, unless props are used for international) are using gates 32-37. Shouldn't they be swapped around (the security/immigration area)? Or are they planning for jets to fly to Borneo and props remain to XSP and maybe BTH.

The current KTM Skypark terminal is across the parking lot. Assuming they won't re-align the rail, it looks like the landside terminal will be built at the current T3 and also where the parking lot is? And the airside terminal is where former T2 is?

34 minutes ago, Craig said:

I am curious why the international security/immigration gates are gates 28-32-ish whilst the jets (assume it's for international, unless props are used for international) are using gates 32-37. Shouldn't they be swapped around (the security/immigration area)? Or are they planning for jets to fly to Borneo and props remain to XSP and maybe BTH.

The current KTM Skypark terminal is across the parking lot. Assuming they won't re-align the rail, it looks like the landside terminal will be built at the current T3 and also where the parking lot is? And the airside terminal is where former T2 is?

I think everything is adhoc until the new terminal comes.

From the looks of it a mall will be build that connects the train station directly to the new terminal that is build on bulldozed site where the GA former hangars and t2 building was.

That would be one very odd shaped shopping mall. I am curious to know how the new alignment of Jalan Lapangan Terbang works. Cause there is only one way in and out of the area at the moment, unless you take a big detour via Kpg Melayu Subang.

The landside terminal/mall looks a side view of a wing. There seems to be a ramp for cars but where will passengers be dropped off? From the looks of it, train passengers will have to walk through a mall again (hopefully not as complicated as KUL T2 but rather a straight path). If the check in is at the landside terminal, I am curious if immigration/security will be at the bottle neck (would be a bit dumb). How about making the mall separate instead of integrated like this? It's awful for passengers. It's a city airport, people who want to get in and out quickly.

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

The landside terminal/mall looks a side view of a wing. There seems to be a ramp for cars but where will passengers be dropped off? From the looks of it, train passengers will have to walk through a mall again (hopefully not as complicated as KUL T2 but rather a straight path). If the check in is at the landside terminal, I am curious if immigration/security will be at the bottle neck (would be a bit dumb). How about making the mall separate instead of integrated like this? It's awful for passengers. It's a city airport, people who want to get in and out quickly.

With how WCT handles Paradigm Mall in PJ and KLIA Terminal 2, I am not holding my breathe. Please have very very low expectation. :P

MAHB has come to the realisation that turboprop ops are dying and are now in panic stations. That is why they so hastily introduced jet operations this year, even without any serious major infrastructure work being done.

3 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

With how WCT handles Paradigm Mall in PJ and KLIA Terminal 2, I am not holding my breathe. Please have very very low expectation. :P

I don't mind if it's functional. No one ever says "Let's take a drive down Subang Airport Road for fun" or "You know, we don't have enough malls in Klang Valley". That mall will probably only cater to air travelers. I don't know why the government chose WCT again even after such a shoddy job for T2. Everyone complains about it other than WCT.

3 hours ago, flee said:

MAHB has come to the realisation that turboprop ops are dying and are now in panic stations. That is why they so hastily introduced jet operations this year, even without any serious major infrastructure work being done.

That is fine. They have to plan this out for the future with the new terminal. Make it classic and ageless. KUL T1 is ageless (architecturally speaking). I am not expecting KUL T1 quality (e.g. high ceilings, granite tiles etc.) but something functional. Attaching a mall is not functional.

3 hours ago, flee said:

Regional jet is idea for SZB. To protect KUL, gomen insisted turboprop for SZB. 

I always don’t understand why the rush to demolish the old Subang international terminal. It is a waste to demolish such an architectural beautiful building with no proper plan in place yet.

Ps: really missed the spiral ramp !

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

9 hours ago, Kee Hooi Yen said:

I always don’t understand why the rush to demolish the old Subang international terminal. It is a waste to demolish such an architectural beautiful building with no proper plan in place yet.

I guess they didn't have any plans to reopen SZB T1 24 years ago and T1 is sitting on very valuable real estate. But yes T1 was also an ageless architecture and I think they should have build something that reminisce that but more modern. I am quite surprised they are doing the new terminal where T2/T3 is. It's a bad location because they have a bottleneck at the taxiway which I remember only allows 2 lanes both ways. T1 has a much larger space and the whole infrastructure was already there last time. Parking, hotel, ATC, huge terminal, easy access.

13 hours ago, Kee Hooi Yen said:

A certain PM didn't want anything to use SZB which would detract from his KLIA project. I believe there was a plan for a convention center and it fell through after T1 was demolished..... convenient 

Just spent some time getting nostalgic by reading some old Subang related threads on here.

I moved to Malaysia in 2000 so I never got to experience T1 or T2. I was supposed to fly SZB-KBR on MH in 2001 but missed my flight and ended up having to go from KLIA. In 2005 or 2006 I went to Tioman on Berjaya Air and it was surreal going into T3 which seemed semi abandoned. You could even see markings on the floor where MH check in desks had been previously located.

Sadly many links and pictures on the old posst are no longer available although I did find an old aerial picture of T1 for the 1990’s

I have never seen any pictures of T2 and curious what it was like so please share if you have any

Lastly so many members have stopped posting although I see some on the various MH FB groups

Here is an article about the old Subang airport

https://www.tslr.net/2007/10/remember-subang-airport.html

We went there when my aunties returned from overseas when I was young. I remember during pre-jet bridge era people can walk out to the open air viewing balcony waiving at the passenger boarding or deboarding via the stairs.

In the mid-80s there was a major makeover at Terminal 1 where the terminal building was enclosed with glass panel and air conditioned, and jet bridge installed. I think it was during this time the spiral ramps were removed for escalators. Public can still access to the open air viewing balcony at this point in time (it was later restricted to public access in the 90s I think), although there were some glass panels erected in front of the balcony preventing public from climbing and enter to the ramp area.  

T2 was built as a temporary facility during the major renovation at T1. I remember when we picked up my aunt who were returned from Australia from T2 she mentioned the terminal was very simply and similar to Canberra airport terminal building. T2 was later turned into KUL-SIN shuttle service terminal when T1 renovation was completed.

T1's A&W restaurant and later T3's A&W in the 90s was my regular place to go for my study during my Uni days in lieu of library 😉

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

21 hours ago, Kee Hooi Yen said:

The first time I got on board a plane in 1969, I used the spiral ramp to the apron. It was an MSA B737 flight to SIN. Unfortunately, I was too young to know if it was a -100 or -200. 

I just hope that when they construct the new terminal, it will be simple and open plan like T4 in Changi or HKIA. Enclosed departure rooms are very old school and just look at how congested those rooms are, even for an A320 flight!