MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

I personally think they look ok, maybe not the most modern layout but still reasonably pleasing cabins to be in. Anyway, I won't be passing any judgement till I've flown and tried out the seats for myself. I've got a good selection seats on my upcoming flights (middles, aisles and windows) to test properly :)

I know it's unlikely, but I really wish they would come out with a new interior with the second or third one. This one looks a bit plain. No MH pillows, blanket and headrest cover. I guess they haven't received this bird formally, so they can't accessorise to their liking just yet.

I personally think they look ok, maybe not the most modern layout but still reasonably pleasing cabins to be in. Anyway, I won't be passing any judgement till I've flown and tried out the seats for myself. I've got a good selection seats on my upcoming flights (middles, aisles and windows) to test properly :)

Pls do a trip report, SQFG.. Many of us here, including I, will be looking forward to your appraisal of the product compared to other airlines. Looks like at the moment, you will have the whole F cabin to yourself? Hmmm beyond suite...

Edited by V Wong

China Southern has the most simple First Class seats among all A380 operators. And MH First Class is no different with China Southern's.

China Southern has the most simple First Class seats among all A380 operators and MH First Class is no different with China Southern's

Pls do a trip report, SQFG.. Many of us here, including I, will be looking forward to your appraisal of the product compared to other airlines. Looks like at the moment, you will have the whole F cabin to yourself? Hmmm beyond suite...

No lah - i don't have all the seats in cabin on one flight :p I have a few different LHRs and SYDs booked that's all:p , and not the inaugurals either. Someone will surely go before me

No lah - i don't have all the seats in cabin on one flight :p I have a few different LHRs and SYDs booked that's all:p , and not the inaugurals either. Someone will surely go before me

oh... your trip reports are most enjoyable and unbiased. With the customary (left) foot shot too...

China Southern has the most simple First Class seats among all A380 operators. And MH First Class is no different with China Southern's.

China Southern has the most simple First Class seats among all A380 operators and MH First Class is no different with China Southern's

And CZ did not go around town that it will be the premium airline (that other airlines will talk about).

MH+new+F+class.jpg

I noticed these seats have the "Red Blue" tone. Perhaps an older picture ? Blanket seems wayyyyy too plain as well, even less pattern than the purple ones in economy now.

I think it would be much preferable if MAS can roll out the blanket with a big WAU logo on it... don't you guys think so? :)

Hmmm the seats might not be that attractive but the LCD screens in C are bigger than that of SQ's with MH's LCD being 17 inches and SQ's 15.4 inches. Also, MH has a luxurious seat pitch in their F class of 85 inches compared to SQ's 81 inches in their Suites. MH also has a 74 seat pitch for business compared to SQ's 55 inches so we better not judge yet! I'd rather sit in an ugly but comfortable seat than a fancy but hard and tight seat. :) http://malaysiaairlines.listedcompany.com/news.html/id/292297

Edited by rajaumarrr

Can I confirm that the new F seat on MH A380 is identical to the one used by Jet Airways (and Turkish Airlines and Thai Airways and Royal Brunei and Gulf Air) on their B77W?

1295469.jpg

1215093.jpg

If it is, just FYI to us all, the seat has been introduced in the market since 2007 or 5 years ago.

I think it would be much preferable if MAS can roll out the blanket with a big WAU logo on it... don't you guys think so? :)

MH+new+F+class.jpg

Why cant they take photos that show more caring side of stewardess like adjusting the blanket instead of this peeping into other privacy..

Hmmm the seats might not be that attractive but the LCD screens in C are bigger than that of SQ's with MH's LCD being 17 inches and SQ's 15.4 inches. Also, MH has a luxurious seat pitch in their F class of 85 inches compared to SQ's 81 inches in their Suites. MH also has a 74 seat pitch for business compared to SQ's 55 inches so we better not judge yet! I'd rather sit in an ugly but comfortable seat than a fancy but hard and tight seat. :) http://malaysiaairlines.listedcompany.com/news.html/id/292297

Those numbers don't really mean anything. On SQ J you're given the space in width- which then translates into a bed utilization at an angle. If pitch as we understand it was the be all and end all of what we define as "space" - then not only is SQ J crap but also the new CX cirrus, which I suspect has even less "pitch" but is EASILY the best J seat out there. What MH gives you in a "straight" line - SQ and CX give you in a different way. In the end it's square footage that counts - and in this respect all 3 are actually not that far apart.

As for F vs SQ R - again, forget the metrics. SQ R is the best commercial seat I've ever flown in bar none. 4 inches at that end of the range is negligible, to the point where the things that set a product apart isn't 1 or 2 inches here and there. Granted these aren't close door suites on MH but if they can get them close in level to CX F (another fav of mine) - passengers are in for a treat :)

Those numbers don't really mean anything. On SQ J you're given the space in width- which then translates into a bed utilization at an angle. If pitch as we understand it was the be all and end all of what we define as "space" - then not only is SQ J crap but also the new CX cirrus, which I suspect has even less "pitch" but is EASILY the best J seat out there. What MH gives you in a "straight" line - SQ and CX give you in a different way. In the end it's square footage that counts - and in this respect all 3 are actually not that far apart.

As for F vs SQ R - again, forget the metrics. SQ R is the best commercial seat I've ever flown in bar none. 4 inches at that end of the range is negligible, to the point where the things that set a product apart isn't 1 or 2 inches here and there. Granted these aren't close door suites on MH but if they can get them close in level to CX F (another fav of mine) - passengers are in for a treat :)

Thanks for straightening that out. Was waiting for somebody to clarify things.

And MH J still requires the wdw pax to do a bit of acrobatics to get to the aisle if the seatmate is fully horizontal. This is dissappointing in this day & age.

As for the extra 1.6in LCD size...trying comparing the contents of Krisworld & MH's offering.

And I suspect by the time MH is still waiting to get its 6th A380 with those cabin offerings, SQ would be on the verge of launching a new F & J.

Indeed very disappointing.. Who do they appoint to come up with ideas that are 5 years behind time? How is that going to help steal premium pax from SQ and EK?

Makan gaji buta je ..

Makan gaji buta je ..

If it's merely 'makan gaji buta' there is theoretically a defianable quantum to it

It's when things go beyond the quantifiable ...... :D

one question... If their J configuration as 1-2-1 wouldn't it kill the F class? From the looks can we say their J more likes premium Y while F is the J class seat?? :D

I guess this is the price for mas delaying the a380 delivery.... everything become old already. :(

I guess this is the price for mas delaying the a380 delivery.... everything become old already. :(

Everyone's dugong has been delayed, so everyone's everything also became old before delivery

But why other's can still wow ?! :)

Who do they appoint to come up with ideas that are 5 years behind time?

mmm...maybe I'll speculate that they obtained feedback from GLC staff who are their very loyal customers...forgetting the fact that these folks, more often than not, have to fly MH or AK. So, you get an incestuous relationship. Perhaps, not unlike the Emperor's new clothes.

mmm...maybe I'll speculate that they obtained feedback from GLC staff who are their very loyal customers...forgetting the fact that these folks, more often than not, have to fly MH or AK. So, you get an incestuous relationship. Perhaps, not unlike the Emperor's new clothes.

The impression I get, those GLC staff, especially high up, live a life of indulgence and opulence.. I am sure they will come out with something that will put the likes of Emirates to shame if given half a chance.

At the end of the day, the management has to be responsible.

I don't think their business class or even first class were tried and tested before they release them to fare-paying public. CX spent millions of dollars to come out with their new business class, only for research stage.

Did MH really respond to a feedback? I'm sure many people (including myself) complained about their outdated 777 interior using onboard feedback forms. Nothing has been done.

And I suspect by the time MH is still waiting to get its 6th A380 with those cabin offerings, SQ would be on the verge of launching a new F & J.

You suspect correctly.A bird in the tree told me SQ will roll out a new F and J on the next tranche of 77W's ordered. Due for fiscal year 2013-2014

Amazing stuff, MAS is living in a denial. Until those unseen hands in the pie disappear and the managers with no experience in the aviation industry are kicked out, I am afraid MAS will not be able to go forward, let alone survive. The sad thing is that despite the multiple bailouts and WAUs and BTPs, I worry that the only thing MAS will be flying soon will be kites.

Sad indeed, especially for those hardworking staff, whatever their level, who try their very best to keep the flag flying high.