MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

I booked myself a seat on MH 2 for 1st July 2012 hoping that will be the inaugural Malaysia Airlines A380 flight KUL - LHR. I hope they won't have the same bidding gimmick like SQ had when they flew the A380 for the very first time since this is not the first A380 to fly commercially.

Can't wait to see more details of the First and Business Class of the A380!

Edited by rockefeller

I think when Ahmad M mentioned that the colour red is reserved for another airline, that airline in question is AK, not RedQ. It is as simple as blue belongs to MH and red belongs to AK. MH cannot use red because red is already taken by AK (yeah I know it's kinda stupid but these fights over colours and fonts have been precedented). That is my understanding anyway.

Blue belongs to MH? How about adding a bit of gold with the blue for the "wings of Gold", MAS? =@

Is this why they have not painted their 747 and 777s in the updated livery? Not to mention they painted some Firefly's B737s back to the old colours.

Edited by S V Choong

Fully agree ^

Hope we won't be disappointed with the new livery. BTW is it true Firefly's 737's were repainted with old colors, and not the Philippines one?

BTW is it true Firefly's 737's were repainted with old colors, and not the Philippines one?

Apparently so. These photos show 9M-FFC before...

1984028.jpg

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Firefly/Boeing-737-86N/1984028/M/

...and after

2034683.jpg

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Malaysia-Airlines/Boeing-737-86N/2034683/M/

Both photos by Waiping.

BTW seems it's also the case for -FFB, and -FFD, not sure about the others.

Edited by Y. J. Foo

That is a good sign. Hopefully the new management realized just how ugly the new livery was and decided to have a better one before it was too late.

The newest name for MH regional carrier is MAS.

The Company announced to the KLSE that it acquired a company called MAS Airline System Sdn Bhd back in mid Jan. Perhaps this legal entity will house the "new" short haul ops.

Hopefully, the livery will scream premium. Something like mainline Gulfair when the current livery of GF was first launched together with a separate "lower-cost" sister ops Gulf Traveller which suggests a clear demarcation of premium service on one part and another one for the unwashed masses. (OK, I know GF may not be the best example financially given that it's in dire straits).

Well, it would do MH good to get rid of that "new" livery that suggests it's a Philippine Airlines LCC unit.

You either get PAL or SIA... New one looks like PAL and "old" (or current) livery looked to be inspired by SIA, merely completing the cheatlines... :)

I don't mind the new livery actually, it is not the best but it does give it a bit of a fresh touch. Likewise, I think the old (or current) livery wouldn't fit the A380 very well, the cheatline will be very low, if it is placed under the lower row windows! Leaving the white colour to cover the majority (70%?) if the aircraft. The ideal situation will be to have the white and grey about to balance each other out, and cheatline in the middle, if the old livery is to be kept.

Other airlines seemed have taken steps to make changes to their livery to accomodate the A380. ie. Singapore Airlines and Qantas, it is the flagship afterall.

Edited by S V Choong

Other airlines seemed have taken steps to make changes to their livery to accomodate the A380. ie. Singapore Airlines and Qantas, it is the flagship afterall.

I find the SQ cheat line on the lower deck scheme to be a bit off - especially when you add to the billboard letters on the font.

I have a gut feeling that cheatlines will go out of the way from MH

Since this has been mentioned before, let me just remind everyone that someone who has seen it said that it has a resemblance to the Heliconia.

I loved the colour scheme of the heliconia livery much more than the hibiscus one. I think it would be fantastic to have the new livery on all the long-haul aircraft (A380, A333E and the B772). They can keep the swoosh design for the premium regional carrier (MAS) coz the swoosh does look nice on small aircraft.

Since this has been mentioned before, let me just remind everyone that someone who has seen it said that it has a resemblance to the Heliconia.

If this is true and has a resemblance of Heliconia, and once all aircrafts painted... it will attract worldwide attention.. for spotters anyway :)

And this will put MAS in the spotlight like both the B777 Heliconia and B747 Hisbiscus did. I know for a fact I was excited when I saw MAS

flew these two to Sydney years back..

Having said this, hope it turns out awesome.

It was reported in A.Net that MSN078 has finished its painting but there has been 0 photos yet. I guess should it is really a new/special livery as speculated before, it could leak anytime from now.

I am excited! Can't wait to see the new livery and what's inside the A380!

It was reported in A.Net that MSN078 has finished its painting but there has been 0 photos yet. I guess should it is really a new/special livery as speculated before, it could leak anytime from now.

I've always wondered how difficult it is to hide something as big as the A380 especially when they need the space in the hangar for other aircraft. Perhaps a gigantic drapery over the thing.

I've always wondered how difficult it is to hide something as big as the A380 especially when they need the space in the hangar for other aircraft. Perhaps a gigantic drapery over the thing.

Actually, what I've heard is that the people upstairs are considering whether to paint everything in Hamburg or to paint the new livery in KUL - if it's in KUL, the paint work in Hamburg is only for the base.

OT: Just curious, how did management keep Hibiscus (largely) obscure until the last moment? Probably they'll do the same for the A380.

Were 747 and 777 painted in SZB? There is a picture on a.net 777 doing a low-pass with new livery.

I thought they were. In fact, wasn't the point of Hibiscus & Helliconia is to publicise MH's painting capabilities?

Just like Boeing 747-8 orange 'sunrise' livery, MH A380 would make an unofficial public debut because they have to be moved from hangar for the next A380.

This is really exciting...for once all of us hope that MH will do something right.

From what I understand none of the Asia-based MRO company can handle A380 yet. If this is true, the painting will all be done in Hamburg itself, like any other A380s. There is a discussion going on at A.Net where should Qantas infamous VH-OQA will be repainted.

For once, we dont have accountants deciding how much paint should be put on the plane and ignoring the intangible PR benefits of an outstanding livery. I always thought the repainting back to normal livery of the Hibiscus & Heliconia was a mistake. Only bean-counters would make that narrow, myopic decision.

Actually, what I've heard is that the people upstairs are considering whether to paint everything in Hamburg or to paint the new livery in KUL - if it's in KUL, the paint work in Hamburg is only for the base.

This makes the most sense. However then the much-awaited arrival of the A380 would be anti-climatic, because it hasn't been painted yet!