MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

The plane is definitely ready, just doubt about the interior design and seats configuration.

Agree. This is the very reason for the delay in the delivery of the first A380 from April 2012 to an undetermined date in Quarter 2 2012 following the MH-AK share swap, where the previously announced 508 seats across 4 classes configuration was deemed not 'premium' enough for MH.

I am not sure if the new MH team has finalised the final configuration (with the expected increase in the number of seat in J class, reduce in number of Y class seats and probably the abolishment of the proposed Y+ cabin). Therefore, I have spies in the relevant departments deployed for us for leakages.

I am not sure if the new MH team has finalised the final configuration (with the expected increase in the number of seat in J class, reduce in number of Y class seats and probably the abolishment of the proposed Y+ cabin). Therefore, I have spies in the relevant departments deployed for us for leakages.

The removal of Y+ cabin would not be a good business decision though, since increasingly more people prefer to have more luxury over standard Y seats while not paying a significant premium for J seats. Perhaps the whole Y class on upper deck to be replaced by Y+ seating? Using CZ's seatmap as a template, if MH increase the J class seats to 70, then there should still be space for around 50 Y+ seat on upper deck.(That'd mean Y class no longer have an opportunity to be on upper deck at MH's 380 though :sorry:)

They will probably remove Y+ if it's too much of a competition to Air Asia X premium seats...

Anyway, hope they don't screw up this time.. Would like to see some good quality products..

They will probably remove Y+ if it's too much of a competition to Air Asia X premium seats...

Anyway, hope they don't screw up this time.. Would like to see some good quality products..

Actually I think it should be more Y+ seats as AirAsia X premium seats compete with MH's Y class. So having more Y+ and less Y will move MH upmarket.

Any chance for the Y seats to have 34" of seat pitch ?

Data as of 03NOV11

http://airlineroute.net/2011/11/02/mh-388/

Malaysia Airlines' A380 service is set to take off on 02JUL12, Kuala Lumpur - London Heathrow MH002/003 Service. Reservation is now open.

From 02JUL12 to 14AUG12, service operates 3 times a week. This increases to Daily from 15AUG12.

Configuration is F8C52Y443 - Lower Deck: F/Y, Upper Deck: C/Y

Edited by Jim Liu

No real promo fares either - so they had better give customers a good product. Otherwise there will be lots of empty seats.

No real promo fares either - so they had better give customers a good product. Otherwise there will be lots of empty seats.

Promo fares are only available at least 4-6 months prior to departure

What seems to be most telling is the lack of Premium Economy.

Looking at this pic,

ScreenShot122.jpg

How do you know the 2-4-2 is upper deck and not Premium Economy, Jim?

Edited by jani

Wonder if they will do test flight to KCH as KCH is 380 ready?

Oh yeah, that would attract a lot of spotters. I do know KCH and supposedly BKI are both ready for A380 accommodation. Perhaps wait till there are real peak season or any touch wood case like happening to QF? which they have to clear the domestic sector backlog and deploying A380 on MEL - SYD sector.

Wonder if they will do test flight to KCH as KCH is 380 ready?

Well they may do that for pilot familiarisation. However, MH already has a simulator for this purpose and I guess that this need is not so great. But I guess the senior A380 captains will be the first to fly so that they can help the FOs get comfortable...

It looks like the first two MH A380s will be used for the LHR route to enable a daily service. Two aircraft can easily do the 14 weekly flights to and from LHR.

What's the difference between the blue stars and the white stars in economy on the map? Could the blue stars represent premium economy? They are at the front of the upper deck economy section, after all...

What's the difference between the blue stars and the white stars in economy on the map? Could the blue stars represent premium economy? They are at the front of the upper deck economy section, after all...

Could it be that MH's Y+ seats are actually Y seats with bigger seat pitch, similar to UA's version??

I guess that's it. Judging from the seat map, Y will feature just 32" of seat pitch based on the seat arrangement and rows available between doorX - doorX :(

No.

Looks like premium economy to me.

If it was upper deck, the rear section must also be 2-4-2 (like SQ economy on upper deck).

So if it is lower deck it is possible that it is the business class though...

Looks like premium economy to me.

If it was upper deck, the rear section must also be 2-4-2 (like SQ economy on upper deck).

So if it is lower deck it is possible that it is the business class though...

Originally I put down Premium Economy when I was doing the article, but had to change it cause others suggested it's just upper deck economy in the rear.

QANTAS' A380 has Premium Economy on upper deck rear section, but it's 2-3-2. And I seriously doubted MH will have 90+ seats of Premium Economy.

Edited by Jim Liu

On that seat map, it states Premium:Q. What does that mean?

Edited by Josh T

It looks like the first two MH A380s will be used for the LHR route to enable a daily service. Two aircraft can easily do the 14 weekly flights to and from LHR.

Believe it need 3 aircraft for double daily KUL-LHR.

:drinks: