MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azri M.

LCCT 'bursting at the seams'

I hope they build budget hotel too, with hourly rental.

Hourly rental budget hotel reminds me of something else, much more sinister......

Hourly rental budget hotel reminds me of something else, much more sinister......

Can I hazard a guess..in the form of a question posed to me quite a number of times in KL...

"Abang...mau servis..?" :blink:

Can I hazard a guess..in the form of a question posed to me quite a number of times in KL..."Abang...mau servis..?" :blink:
Please Imran, if you were to innocently answered : "servis apa?" I would disown you as a friend :rofl:
That was what I meant...hahahaha... you just don't know who could be sitting next to you in AK... :rofl:

Please Imran, if you were to innocently answered : "servis apa?" I would disown you as a friend :rofl:

thats between me and the pimp i guess... :rofl:

..... you just don't know who could be sitting next to you in AK... :rofl:

That would apply irrespective of whichever carrier you're flying (when travelling alone that is) - be it luxuriating in some LCC's sardine can or roughing it out in SQ's new 'beyond first' cubicles :)

As expected and right on cue, the earlier media write-up on LCCT being crowded etc (notice the link between Kalimullah and NST)...leads to the real motive behind it all - Subang!

(If it happens, good for the consumer, bad for KLIA, very bad for Firefly - in fact, it could be curtains.)

November 22, 2007 16:43 PM

Airasia Offers To Operate Subang Airport On Its Own

SEPANG, Nov 22 (Bernama) -- AirAsia Bhd is keen to operate and develop the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport at Subang via private financing initiative (PFI) and make it more business driven and competitive regionally.

AirAsia chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes said today the company was prepared to table a fresh proposal to the government seeking its permission to operate the airport.

When asked for his reaction should the government allow this, he said: "Definitely AirAsia will be prepared for that (to operate the Subang Airport via PFI).

"You have PFI roads, PFI power stations as well as many infrastructure projects, why not the airport," he told reporters after the company's annual general meeting here.

Personally, he said, it would be a good idea for the government to allow AirAsia to go into Subang Airport so that subsequently the no-frills airline would address on its own all matters related to the operation and infrastructure of the airport.

AirAsia had, among others, suggested that it too be allowed to operate via Subang just like community airline FireFly, a subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines.

Yesterday, Air Asia X chairman Datuk Seri Kalimullah Hassan was reported as saying that Malaysia needed a larger low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) soon to accommodate the increasing passenger volume if it wants to become the regional hub for low-cost travel.

Fernandes said the Subang PFI airport operations, apart from attracting more foreign investors to locate their businesses in Malaysia due to easier access to the Federal Capital, will also make it easier for foreigners to come here for medical, education and tourism reasons.

"Let's make Kuala Lumpur a relevant hub. If we are good and become a strong aviation player, there are so many aspects we can cater for, especially in the medical, tourism and education industries," he added.

"It is a fantastic cause-and-effect business. If we have our own airport close to town, it will attract more foreign investors and more visitors to Malaysia."

Fernandes also said that if AirAsia is allowed to operate Subang Airport, the LCCT at Sepang can be converted into a cargo terminal.

Asked on details of AirAsia's plans to impose a baggage charge on passengers to help cushion the impact of higher fuel prices, he said: "That's one of the ideas that I have. I'd rather look at things like that in a more democratic and fairer way. Maybe we will charge between RM1 and RM2 per extra bag.

"I do not know when to implement it, but what I can say is that it may be pretty soon, and I'm sure that once we implement it, MAS will follow us!"

-- BERNAMA

As expected and right on cue, the earlier media write-up on LCCT being crowded etc (notice the link between Kalimullah and NST)...leads to the real motive behind it all - Subang!

(If it happens, good for the consumer, bad for KLIA, very bad for Firefly - in fact, it could be curtains.)

November 22, 2007 16:43 PM

Airasia Offers To Operate Subang Airport On Its Own

SEPANG, Nov 22 (Bernama) -- AirAsia Bhd is keen to operate and develop the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport at Subang via private financing initiative (PFI) and make it more business driven and competitive regionally.

AirAsia chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes said today the company was prepared to table a fresh proposal to the government seeking its permission to operate the airport.

When asked for his reaction should the government allow this, he said: "Definitely AirAsia will be prepared for that (to operate the Subang Airport via PFI).

"You have PFI roads, PFI power stations as well as many infrastructure projects, why not the airport," he told reporters after the company's annual general meeting here.

Personally, he said, it would be a good idea for the government to allow AirAsia to go into Subang Airport so that subsequently the no-frills airline would address on its own all matters related to the operation and infrastructure of the airport.

AirAsia had, among others, suggested that it too be allowed to operate via Subang just like community airline FireFly, a subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines.

Yesterday, Air Asia X chairman Datuk Seri Kalimullah Hassan was reported as saying that Malaysia needed a larger low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) soon to accommodate the increasing passenger volume if it wants to become the regional hub for low-cost travel.

Fernandes said the Subang PFI airport operations, apart from attracting more foreign investors to locate their businesses in Malaysia due to easier access to the Federal Capital, will also make it easier for foreigners to come here for medical, education and tourism reasons.

"Let's make Kuala Lumpur a relevant hub. If we are good and become a strong aviation player, there are so many aspects we can cater for, especially in the medical, tourism and education industries," he added.

"It is a fantastic cause-and-effect business. If we have our own airport close to town, it will attract more foreign investors and more visitors to Malaysia."

Fernandes also said that if AirAsia is allowed to operate Subang Airport, the LCCT at Sepang can be converted into a cargo terminal.

Asked on details of AirAsia's plans to impose a baggage charge on passengers to help cushion the impact of higher fuel prices, he said: "That's one of the ideas that I have. I'd rather look at things like that in a more democratic and fairer way. Maybe we will charge between RM1 and RM2 per extra bag.

"I do not know when to implement it, but what I can say is that it may be pretty soon, and I'm sure that once we implement it, MAS will follow us!"

-- BERNAMA

They better be quick. Kalimullah days, possibly, are numbered.

There is another related article in a local newspaper (Berita Hairan) I think. But it stop short of mentioning Subang.

Sudah bagi paha mau mintak betis

Really wasting tax payer money :angry:

Proposed terminal needed to replace Sepang as it reaches full capacity

SEREMBAN: The Negri Sembilan government has proposed that an airport be built to replace the low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) in Sepang.

Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan said the state had held talks with Sime Darby Group and AirAsia over the matter.

“We are all agreeable that we need a new airport to replace the LCCT,” he said at a press conference yesterday.

A working paper had been submitted to the Transport Ministry.

Mohamad said although the authorities had in principle agreed to the proposal, a comprehensive paper would be tabled to the Cabinet for final approval.

The construction of the new airport, on a 2,800ha area at the state’s central corridor in Labu, would be financed by the private sector, he said.

“AirAsia is already facing some difficulties at the LCCT as its volume of passengers has almost reached full capacity. This way, Negri Sembilan will also have an airport of its own,” he said.

The three parties hoped to start talks with Malaysia Airports Bhd soon.

Sime Darby owns the land where the proposed airport would be built.

Mohamad said the state came up with the idea after the Federal Government rejected a request from AirAsia to move its operations to the old aiport in Subang.

Asked if it was viable for the state, Sime Darby Group and AirAsia to proceed with the project amid the uncertain economic outlook, Mohamad said it was a good time to do so as construction costs would be low.

Mohamad said that with the completion of the dual-track rail project between Seremban and Gemas by 2012, more people would relocate to the southern part of the state and the demand for air travel would also increase. - The Star

I don't agree at all.. New Labu LCCT airport will be just 10km away from KLIA??!! KLIA will be very quiet then. The empty slot next to the KLIA satellite building and the open carpark in front of KLIA helipad could be a good spot for the new LCCT.

labu.jpg

Edited by MIR

i tot they already have the plan to build the LCCT opposite of MTB?

imagine airasia's aircraft going for maintainance, flying from LABU Int'l to Sepang Int'l.... oh wait... to save cost... its better we tow it for 10KM! LOL!!

That is one of the craziest ideas ever if it is approved !!!

As it is KLIA is already going down the drains with capacity and

if AK moves to another airport....which is silly to be located just

10km out of the current airport, then we are just living in a circus !!

Unless of course they mean it as a new terminal and not a new

airport, pathetic jorunalism or ignorance on the part of the interested

party !!

Circus it is !!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That is one of the craziest ideas ever if it is approved !!!

As it is KLIA is already going down the drains with capacity and

if AK moves to another airport....which is silly to be located just

10km out of the current airport, then we are just living in a circus !!

I have a more fundamental question: can AK last that long? :)

10 Km, wow...maybe they have an idea of building the terminal in Labu. Passengers will board the bus from there and proceed to LCCT in KLIA. It will just be a terminal with kelapa sawit all around the building. No runway or A320 in front of it...but with rapidKL bus...LOL

I can understand discussions with Sime taking place over the land, but not inviting MAB to join the party. Only recently AK was complaining that MAB are screwing them from all directions - so why would you want to get into bed with them now!! Is there a ruling that MAB have to control all Malaysian airports (and the fee's they charge)?

Wait a minute! So this new airport is actually further away from KL city?! Is KL that land scares that they can't find any empty plots closer to the city? I mean the RM10 bus ride from Sentral to LCCT is dreadfully long, sometimes longer than the flight itself!

But yeah, I would think that if AK got its own airport that it built and operated (in cooperation with another company maybe?), independent of MAB, it would be better for AK in the long run since it knows that it has the traffic to sustain the airport and they can build and expand as per their needs.

EDIT: just wondering, if AK or whoever who wants to build the airport owns the land, can they build the airport privately without government approval? It would be like USM, built, owned and operated by Air Bangkok. I mean do the laws allow for it?

Edited by reyneo

They make building an airport just like building a tennis court....

This kind of politicians. Should I say more?

..... that MAB are screwing them from all directions - so why would you want to get into bed with them now!!

Under normal circumstance, that would be a very valid reason to get into bed - no ? :p

Anyway, my guess is AK will have to find a way to work with MAB somehow

Even if proposed Labu International LCC Hub Airport does materialize, there are so many other MAB operated airports in Malaysia that AK serves

As far as I am aware, in Malaysia, there is no problem if you want to build your own airport as long as the airport meets the requirements of the DCA. For that matter even if you want to build a temporary airport too, you may, as long as DCA approves it. The fact that a small fry like me had experienced building a temporary airport in Seremban Two 5 years ago, what is the problem for AirAsia and Sime Darby to build one in Labu. MAHB have no control over private airports. Hope to park my future light GA aircraft in Labu..... :clapping: :clapping:

By proposing a new airport 10km from KUL means the NS State gomen is not confidence with MAHB in development of KUL and ignoring Federal gomen ‘s planning for KUL. Politically, it is unusual for a BN State gomen to compromise the Federal gomen, may be the MB is trying to get some mileage from the party election or a way to crate project for cronies.

Given in-competency of MAHB, the new LCCT at KUL should be awarded to a third party to operate. Hopefully, the new LCCT can compete with MTB by providing better than basic facility.

:drinks:

Sign in to follow this