MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azri M.

LCCT 'bursting at the seams'

Oh no. looks like worse than a bus terminal. I think LCCT is in its full capacity already. Really chaotic. I thought expansion is underway, if they can build this building in 10 months, I'm sure the expansion should take less then that. Really shameful lah.

LCCT 'bursting at the seams' (New Strait Times)

By : Jennifer Gomez SEPANG: The Low-Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) here is bursting at the seams.

The growing popularity of budget travel is taking its toll on the airport's facilities and services -- from the baggage screening as one enters the terminal building, the departure halls, and up to the collection of luggage on arrival.

With 25,000 passengers a day catching close to 200 flights, there are no distinct areas for the different processes passengers must go through -- it's a hodgepodge of people.

Hard to miss as one enters the terminal are the scores of passengers sitting on their trolleys because of the lack of seats in the main area.

Rashidah Majidi, 42, who was travelling back to Kuching with four of her children and three nieces, complained about the lack of seats at the airport.

"It's also very warm. Although my flight is at 5pm I came early because I didn't want to get stuck in the perpetual long queues here. It's so much cooler and more convenient at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport."

Indonesian medical officer Robby Nur Adieya, sitting on his trolley looking somewhat resigned as he waited for his flight to Jakarta, told the New Straits Times that he had been warned about the lack of seats at the LCCT by a colleague.

To ease the long lines at the check-in counters, AirAsia staff were conducting Personal Digital Assistant check-ins. A guest officer was also trying to get passengers to use the self check-in machines for those with no luggage.

The international departure hall was just as bad as hundreds of passengers squeezed into two lines in narrow aisles at each departure exit.

There was also confusion over which lines to join as several of the flight information displays were not working.

Adding to the congestion was the fact that not all facilities were fully utilised. Yet another line formed after passengers cleared Immigration and made their way to the X-ray screening security check-point.

Only two of the three checkpoints were manned.

The international flight arrival area was chaotic, and a number of passengers complained about the long wait to collect their bags.

Both the international and domestic departure halls have a single food and beverage outlet each, which were jam-packed.

Outside the terminal, the 1,100-bay car park was also a mess with cars parked indiscriminately.

A spokesperson for Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd, which runs the terminal, said there were plans to expand the terminal while a new LCCT is being built nearer to the KLIA.

Edited by Azri M.

The expansion to the current building will take a few months. The new LCC-T across from the MTB will take at least 3 years to complete.Is it just me or is the above article the start of a series of articles, etc that form part of a lobbying effort to allow AK to operate out of SZB?Maybe I smelling it differently by what will happen is that AK is given "temporary permission" to operate out of SZB, which will negatively effect Firefly, despite having new ATRs. Then this temporary permission is made permanent after another series of lobbying effort (via, amongst others, NSTP group's publication, given the shareholders' links) that will argue that Klang Valley folks like having a choice for intra-Malaysia domestic flights (between SZB and KUL).Politically, AK has the pole position & upper hand, as it has been able to create big-picture positives for Malaysia, like creating the largest LCC hub, in Asia, located here in M'sia.Note how that article first appeared in the NST (and maybe Berita Hairan too - I didn't check).

The expansion to the current building will take a few months. The new LCC-T across from the MTB will take at least 3 years to complete.Is it just me or is the above article the start of a series of articles, etc that form part of a lobbying effort to allow AK to operate out of SZB?Maybe I smelling it differently by what will happen is that AK is given "temporary permission" to operate out of SZB, which will negatively effect Firefly, despite having new ATRs. Then this temporary permission is made permanent after another series of lobbying effort (via, amongst others, NSTP group's publication, given the shareholders' links) that will argue that Klang Valley folks like having a choice for intra-Malaysia domestic flights (between SZB and KUL).Politically, AK has the pole position & upper hand, as it has been able to create big-picture positives for Malaysia, like creating the largest LCC hub, in Asia, located here in M'sia.Note how that article first appeared in the NST (and maybe Berita Hairan too - I didn't check).

If true, very strategic move by AK.

But I really want Firefly to continue to fly and prosper. Hopefully, they will also fly jets, possibly in the Embraer E jets.

Berita Hairan :rofl:

wait till you read Utusan Meloya!!!

AK does think strategically and does act covertly through various media to achieve its strategies.

In this week's The Edge, AK's ex-CFO (and ex-FAX CEO) did state explicitly that TF thinks very big picture, global domination.

Today, the KUL-S'pore route, tomorrow SZB. next week - the world!

And having friends in the media certainly does help as a great lobbying tool, and to infuse certain thoughts in the minds of the travelling public.

my opinion on LCCT is it just do not have enough food station, i mean fast food , cafe and etc. i just hate when i need to wait for in a long line just to wait for my bigmac meal(asian kitchen is not my choice :p , but it too is over darn crowded)....

seating wise , yes it is not enough within the air-conditioned terminal....

why the new LCCT need 3 years to construct?? is the constructor for bki t2 assigned for the job??:p ...

why the new LCCT need 3 years to construct?? is the constructor for bki t2 assigned for the job??:p ...

If u know where the new LCC-T is to be sited, you will agree that it will take that long, unless suddenly AK decides to trade its A320s for Sikorsky helicopters.

The current LCC-T was built in record time as all access is practically ready, both air side for aircraft, or landside, for public. Tarmac was very ready and the land was flat.

The earthworks alone for the foundation of the proposed new LCC-T will take a while. Imagine building another MTB right across from where the MTB is. And think about the taxiways.

Edited by mushrif a

If u know where the new LCC-T is to be sited, you will agree that it will take that long, unless suddenly AK decides to trade its A320s for Sikorsky helicopters.

The current LCC-T was built in record time as all access is practically ready, both air side for aircraft, or landside, for public. Tarmac was very ready and the land was flat.

The earthworks alone for the foundation of the proposed new LCC-T will take a while. Imagine building another MTB right across from where the MTB is. And think about the taxiways.

thanks for the info mushrif ....my bad :sorry:

anyway ...3 years is too long considering the LCCT is nearing it "breaking point" :p ...... as what i have mentioned , i do prefer if they open more food and beverages outlet at LCCT, it's just not enough for the meantime . A burger king at LCCT will make me smile :lol:

anyway ...3 years is too long considering the LCCT is nearing it "breaking point" :p ...... as what i have mentioned , i do prefer if they open more food and beverages outlet at LCCT, it's just not enough for the meantime . A burger king at LCCT will make me smile :lol:

Temporary solution is to shift some flights out of Lcc to be operated from the MTB itself... should very much ease up the traffic... but cost wise, TF won't be happy about it kekekee <_>

Since it is a LOW COST Carrier Terminal, I prefer if they allow PASAR MALAM style stall selling Ramly burgers, sugarcane drink, char keuw teow, fried bananas and the likes :drinks: and of course, not to mention fake designers clothes from Thailand plus the latest movie DVD from questionable sources :lol:

Since it is a LOW COST Carrier Terminal, I prefer if they allow PASAR MALAM style stall selling Ramly burgers, sugarcane drink, char keuw teow, fried bananas and the likes :drinks: and of course, not to mention fake designers clothes from Thailand plus the latest movie DVD from questionable sources :lol:

LOL!!! Great idea.

Since the LCCT is bursting, maybe they should just set up temporary open air tents or shields and get the pasar malam idea for the commercial space. It should be quite "exotic", although not as pretty as Koh Samui's airport. :lol:

I would definitely come for supper to watch the planes engine roaring above me.... :yahoo:

Temporary solution is to shift some flights out of Lcc to be operated from the MTB itself... should very much ease up the traffic... but cost wise, TF won't be happy about it kekekee <_>

sounds reasonable ignatius, but there is one problem, how they gonna handle which flight operate from which terminal??? as far as i know, it will be a heck of mess for ak to let passenger know which terminal they should go . I can foresee that some passenger may end at the wrong terminal:p ....:lol:

OMG :rofl:

You are losing the plot.

The "temporary" solution is to allow AK to fly out of SZB. As I said, the supposedly media-initiated lobbying has began.

Every month my kids in KBR & PEN fly home to Shah Alam at just RM40-RM50 one way on AK's new A320s. Also almost every month I fly out with my missus on leisure trips. I'm a simple end-user with virtually no brand loyalty or sentiment. For biz trips, same thing. The best value-for-money deal gets my (& my firm's) cash. As simple as that.

So if AK has ambitions for SZB, I won't fuss about it; even better for me, SZB is just 15min from home. :-)

i woudn't be surprise of the so called plot that ak want to operate out of SZB. every businessman will take any good oportunity when they can foresee a better future right?

my 2 cent

Live feed from LCCT now...

0010hrs 16 Nov:

Three flights from KCH, MYY and BKI arrived almost at the same time. All three baggage carousel were in use. Quite a crowd and lots of traffic as everyone, even with the lightest, smallest of baggage insisted of pushing the trolleys.

0030hrs

After taking a seat observing people infront of the Lost and Found counter, I went to the carousel to collect my 14kg bag.

0035hrs

Went out to look for cash machine. None were in operation. The "24 hours" sign was just for show it seemed. Had only RM8 in my wallet after a shopping and eating spree at 30,00 ft. Jeeez, should have withdrawn some at BKI earlier. According to the Info Counter lady, the cash machines would be up again around 2 am.

0040hrs-now

At an overpriced coffee outlet at LCCT. On the free WiFi network.

wah ewan..i do wish u luck on ur rm 8 ...enough for a cofee at Coffee bean o not??? :p .....i do hope the atm machine really on at 2 am...if not ..hoow u gonna travel???

best of luck ewan..:lol:

btw..thx for the live feed...

wah ewan..i do wish u luck on ur rm 8 ...enough for a cofee at Coffee bean o not??? :p .....i do hope the atm machine really on at 2 am...if not ..hoow u gonna travel???

best of luck ewan..:lol:

btw..thx for the live feed...

Khaled, Louis,

Don't worry. A prolific Malay gigolo like me can survive anywhere! :rofl:

0520hrs

Left CBTL after achieving PR status there after a full 5 hours sitting there. I hope they won't miss me.

0521hrs

Check-in counter R42. Empty. "Is it a light load this morning?" Nice check-in counter lady: (Glanncing at the screen) "Yes".

Only one baggage of 6 kg was checked-in. My cabin-sized suitcase which I intended to carry onboard was 13kg - way above the allowance 7kg.

dsc00226.jpg-20071116-061755.jpg

The self-check in terminal

dsc00225.jpg-20071116-061538.jpg

Busy LCCT

0523hrs

Upon reaching departure hall gate, was stopped to have my suitcase weighed. Was asked to re-check in. Time to redistrubute the load. Looked like they were really strict on this. Off to the men's for load redistribution exercise. Managed to transfer some into my laptop bagpack.

0530hrs

To the scale again. Now 10kg and the man 'closed one eye'. Good. As I was wearing my jacket now, I told him, "It was this jacket which was heavy".

0532 - now

Sitting infront of Gate P2. Put back the load to its original location

dsc00228.jpg-20071116-062221.jpg

Gate P2

dsc00229.jpg-20071116-062343.jpg

View to the right where I was sitting.

dsc00227.jpg-20071116-062044.jpg

Load redistribution accomplished.

Errr... have I gone OT here? It looks like I'm doing a TR in this thread hehhehe. Sorry if I have.

ewan ...u did show how busy the LCCT is :p ....

u keep my lonely sleepless night or i should say morning :unknw: alive :lol: ......

Edited by Louis L.

Morning Louis,

One more thing I notice about LCCT is that the AK staff style of making public address a la school prefect/discipline master. The tone is firm, rushed and patronizing all at once. And it's funny too how the passengers queue obediently at the door.

As I'm typing this one of the staff member is shouting "TAWAU! TAWAU! TAWAU!" which reminds me of my bas mini days in front of Bangkok Bank when the bus conductors hailed "SOGO! CHOW KIT! THE MALL!!" coaxing you to come on board their pink little devils.

OK, my flight is being called now. I choose to stay seated and not to queue until everyone has gone.... Light load according to the check-in counter lady.

Wah, I dont know they become so strict on hand luggage. Last year, when I ride with them, they never weigh my hand luggage. So I assume as long as the size is right, they ar ok with it. Damn, I thought of overstaffing my hand luggage with stuff. :p

When do they strictly implement this? Or was I just lucky last time?

Sign in to follow this