MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Meor

BKI Spotting V2

very bad weather ah Sam :nea:

now more on stable already, airport back to normal already. just dunno where MH2616 gone to. :(

Since I am living near the airport, i can tell you the approach altitude upon landing to BKI for most aircrafts I saw during the heavy rain yesterday was way too low...I was waiting for MH 81 to come in at around 1815 but to no avail...then an hour later a wide body craft landed...assuming it was MH 81 which was delayed by the weather....or was it MH2616?...

Hello... I heard from my 'eyes on the ground' that there have been RMAF jets doing touch-n-gos, as well as doing low flybys, for the past few days in BKI

Anyone caught anything? :search:

Hello... I heard from my 'eyes on the ground' that there have been RMAF jets doing touch-n-gos, as well as doing low flybys, for the past few days in BKI

Anyone caught anything? :search:

Edited by Ignatius

Iggy, you spam ar? :rofl:

Andi, although i din spot it, but i can hear it clearly from my work place for the past few days, today also la... if not mistaken, today got two like that. but i don't have the time to run out from the building just to watch it, too busy. :sorry:

Dante, thanks a lot for the details, at least we now know that what had happen. safe flights... :drinks:

Alif, if not mistaken MH81 no delay on that day. from your place can see Rwy02 or Rwy20 arrival?

Did BKI get a visit from an Antonov prop in the last 24 hours? I spotted an Antonov heading your way overhead Miri last night at about 7.30 pm, with the aircraft routing back down the coast at 12.15 today. I suspect it flew from either Johor Bahru or Seletar and was on it's way to either BKI or LBU.

My SBS-1 showed the aircraft to be registered in Laos, but a registration tie-up is not know, hence my interest :rolleyes:

TIA,

Steve

Sam,is that An-26 permanently based at BKI?

not sure about that. i only spot she for once, and that day she is heading to SDK, if not mistaken.

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the reply. I should have said that it was actually an AN12, the one with four props.

I am fairly certain now that it was RDPL-34156, operated by Airmark (Indonesia). This machine visited Changi on the 20th.

Thanks again :drinks:

Steve

today bad weather (rain) since 1 or 2 pm, and many flights after 4 got delayed or go around or diverted, no landing and departure. so eventually where is your MH2616 gone to?

BWM or just go around? ETA 7.45pm. :pardon:

updates: MH2617 delay till dunno when. :( MH2616 not even reach BKI.

now more on stable already, airport back to normal already. just dunno where MH2616 gone to. :(

hahahahaha.. sorry guys. let me tell you the story. so, departing out of KUL, we expected the weather to be bad, but not THAT BAD la... then during descent, got the latest weather, reported heavy thunderstorm rain within 20nm of BKI with visibility 1500m. So, nevermind la, still ok wat, just shoot one approach. So lined up for approach, all the way to minima, visual with runway end, then around 200ft, one huge sweep of rain came and blinded us so gotta go around la.... i could see the terminal and the tower before that sweep came, and the go-around was about 100ft or so... which was pretty low... hehehe. anyways, pickup a hold at GAYAN, which is over Karambunai area, weather there also bad, so move on to hold at KAPRI just avoiding the worst of the weather. holding there for a good 20-30mins (we brought with us tonnes of fuel just for this weather), then decide to divert to BWN since there was no improvement in the weather. SO THATS WHERE WE ALL WENT la.... hehehe... Ended up in BWN, the ground support there dont handle A330s so we gotta do all the stuff ourselves la, Captain gotta certify the aircraft and I gotta do the refuelling la... which was cool, but the workload was a lot la. Then later, we proceed back to BKI. That time the weather still light rain and ended up have to wait for bay (another 30mins) again as usual BKI never have enough and also MH81 was already there so took up one chunk of bay.... SO THATS WHAT HAPPEN la... sorry to disappoint you guys. next time again la ok? Will let you guys know again. Anyways, nice to see BKI again, miss that place....

MH2617 was scheduled to leave for KUL from BKI at 5.35pm on the evening of 9th June 2008. I went to the airport at 4.15pm that day and went thru immigration at 4.35pm. It was raining heavily outside and my ride to KUL was still no where to be seen. Then it was already 5.45pm but there was no announcement about our flight at all or that our flight has been delayed etc.

The KKIA ground staff ONLY announced the new departure time for our flight to KUL (MH2617) at 6.00pm (Wasn't that like too late already ? The plane was supposed to leave at 5.35pm. They are so unprofessional and a shame to Malaysia Airlines). By the way, the new departure time for MH2617 is 7.45pm (from the announcement). Royal Brunei Airlines flight back to BWN was delayed too. So was MH068 to TPE. Dragonair flight back to HKG was delayed by 40 minutes due to technical problem. Many other flights were delayed too that day.

Anyways, the story didn't just end there. By the time it was 7.15pm, our ride to KUL was still no where to be seen. I knew we will not depart at 7.45pm but there was no annoucement from the MAS ground staffs at all to give us an update on our flight. We were only told our flight will depart at 9.10pm at 8.00pm. What a service from a 5-star carrier. Way to go my beloved Malaysia Airlines.

By the way, no meal vouchers were offered to us for the nearly 4 hours delay. I had to fork out RM5.50 myself to buy a sandwich. Snackbox served on that flight was terrible. The sandwich was sooooo tiny. Tiniest i have ever seen in my whole life and was definitely a joke. I think they put some curry gravy inside and it tasted terrible.

Our flight finally took off around 9.20pm and touched down at KLIA around 11.30pm and finally docked at the terminal around 11.40pm. The landing was PERFECT !!!! Well done to the pilots on that flight. By the time i got my luggage back it was already 11.59pm and the last KL Express train leave for KL Sentral at 12am. So i had no choice but to hire a taxi to go to my hotel. I paid RM98.40 for a budget taxi for a one-way ride to Vistana Hotel in downtown Kuala Lumpur (airport budget limo, a black Proton Waja). What a day !

Since I am living near the airport, i can tell you the approach altitude upon landing to BKI for most aircrafts I saw during the heavy rain yesterday was way too low...I was waiting for MH 81 to come in at around 1815 but to no avail...then an hour later a wide body craft landed...assuming it was MH 81 which was delayed by the weather....or was it MH2616?...

If my memory serves me correctly, MH2616 landed at 7.30pm. MH081 landed from NRT on-time that day but it left for KUL 45 minutes late which resulted to further delay to my flight (MH2617) :angry:

Edited by Isaac

Hi guys,

I`ll be heading to KK from Miri tomorrow morning in my CHC S92. Should be landing at about 0945 with a quick turnaround at T2, then routing back through at about 1130. If any of you guys are around I`d appreciate a photo! I promise to wave :rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

thanks for the information, Sung and Adrian... :drinks: just realize that their door opening style are so special one. :p

Steve, sorry that i couldn't go spot you. :sorry: hopefully someone else catch your arrival and departure. or maybe next time? :D

Steve, sorry that i couldn't go spot you. :sorry: hopefully someone else catch your arrival and departure. or maybe next time? :D

No worries, maybe next time!! The weather this morning was great for flying, the mountain top was visible from about 40nm away, awesome!

A couple of questions:

Does the Philippine registered AN26 ever do any flying?

How long has the silver A109 (9M-YHM) at Sabah Air been around for?

Thanks Guys.....

Steve

Does the Philippine registered AN26 ever do any flying?

I have only ever seen her flying once in all the time I'm aware of her stay here

Perhaps she does fly at other times when I'm slogging away elsewhere :)

By and large, seems to hibernate at T2 apron most of the time

Edited by BC Tam

The B767 entry door opening is by sliding up into the cabin. Same method like MD11. ^_^

It is like the DC10 door which is open using electical power during normal operations and goes up. The good points is all the crew has to do is press a button and up it goes. In an emergency, the chance of the door not opening due to external obstruction like a tree falling againts the door is reduced but if power assist fails in an emergency, it would take the strength of three persons to lift the door manually in the armed position as the heavy slide pack is attached to the floor.