MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azuddin

Going to HKG

Hello everyone

I'm planning on going to Hong Kong next week, due to my semester break.

My main objective is to try on B777 for the first time, any type of 777. I need some advise on which airline would you all recommended to catch a flight on a 777. The last time, I flew on CX morning flight from HKG to KUL, when I booked the ticket online, it is said the flight would be on 777-300, but the aircraft was switched to A330.

thank you

Azuddin

Normally I would recommend MH as they fly the 772 to HKG everyday except Friday (744)...but given their 5 * service is now a myth...

try SQ for real 5* service. You are virtually guaranteed a 777 on most, if not all of your legs.

Take the 8am something 772 departure from KUL to SIN on SQ. Then connect to the 11am or so service on their very nice 77W (only once a day on the 77W).

For return leg, you can go for more 777s or mix a 744 (from HKG) and a 777.

Normally I would recommend MH as they fly the 772 to HKG everyday except Friday (744)...but given their 5 * service is now a myth...

try SQ for real 5* service. You are virtually guaranteed a 777 on most, if not all of your legs.

Take the 8am something 772 departure from KUL to SIN on SQ. Then connect to the 11am or so service on their very nice 77W (only once a day on the 77W).

For return leg, you can go for more 777s or mix a 744 (from HKG) and a 777.

Thanks Mushrif, I'll give it a try.

Azuddin

My recommendation would be 77W of SQ. Try avoid 772 as you can fly everywhere, but 77W is still rare...

Just my 2 cents...

Hop on to SQ861/862 served by SQ 77W if you can and on the KUL-SIN, you will be flying on regional 777-212ER. You get 777s all the way to HKG! SQ859/860 are served by 773 (non-ER) if as far as I remember. :)

Edited by S V Choong

Azuddin,

Based on your avatar B777-300ER, I thought you will be the last person to say "I've never flown on a B777"

Anyway, good luck... and most importantly, hope to see a trip report coming soon

Fly SQ and you're guranteed on a 777 :p

Except SQ1/2 and SQ865/866 which are operated by 744s. :)

I read somewhere that CX also flies to KUL with the 77W. However, I think it is more like a one-off thing.

It really depends on how long u will stay at HKG. If you really want to maximize your time in HKG and aircraft type is not an issue, I think CI give you the best timing, flying off 1st thing in the morning (before MH and CX), and coming back late in the afternoon (after MH and CX).

Based on your avatar B777-300ER, I thought you will be the last person to say "I've never flown on a B777"

I wish the same too.

I flew mostly on 747-400, 757-200 and 767-400ER. Some of these flight route are earlier to be flown with 777, but a lot of changes. But 767-400ER is a damn nice aircraft.

I take you guys advice and choose SQ.

Azuddin

Wise choice Azuddin. Your first B777 flight should be a special and pleasantly memorable occasion, and on SQ, it will be.

Hello everyone

I'm planning on going to Hong Kong next week, due to my semester break.

My main objective is to try on B777 for the first time, any type of 777. I need some advise on which airline would you all recommended to catch a flight on a 777. The last time, I flew on CX morning flight from HKG to KUL, when I booked the ticket online, it is said the flight would be on 777-300, but the aircraft was switched to A330.

thank you

Azuddin

cx now ... starting rm1380 / adult (twin share)... with 2n in novotel century thrown in.... not unless u insisted 777

Cool, done this route many times, here the catch....

try SQ 772, 77W, or perhaps go for MH772 or 77W of CX, between CX and MH, MH has better 772! Consider TG? :pardon:

Cool, done this route many times, here the catch....

try SQ 772, 77W, or perhaps go for MH772 or 77W of CX, between CX and MH, MH has better 772! Consider TG? :pardon:

Since everyone recommended SQ, I'll go for SQ.

Azuddin

Hi,

I love flying MAS's 772 from SYD-KUL. It always feels so cosy...i guess I just love the looks of the overhead luggage compartments...soo curvy... :D

Way to go for my first post ^_^

Seeing as how I can't find an "introduce yourself" section, I'll do it right here.

My name is Eric.

I was born in KK, moved to KB for most of my childhood, the KK again for a year before moving to Sydney when I was about 8 years old.

Have been back to KK 2 twice ever since moving to Australia, most recently November last year. Both times of MH 772's.

Have been a big fan of Malaysia Airlines ever since I grew a fascination of aviation when I was around 10 years old.

Have always wanted to be a pilot, but I have terrible eyesight. Still wish to fly one day though...

Any other questions, just ask :)

Oh and am 19 years old now

Edited by ericchai

Hi,

I love flying MAS's 772 from SYD-KUL. It always feels so cosy...i guess I just love the looks of the overhead luggage compartments...soo curvy... :D

Way to go for my first post ^_^

Seeing as how I can't find an "introduce yourself" section, I'll do it right here.

My name is Eric.

I was born in KK, moved to KB for most of my childhood, the KK again for a year before moving to Sydney when I was about 8 years old.

Have been back to KK 2 twice ever since moving to Australia, most recently November last year. Both times of MH 772's.

Have been a big fan of Malaysia Airlines ever since I grew a fascination of aviation when I was around 10 years old.

Have always wanted to be a pilot, but I have terrible eyesight. Still wish to fly one day though...

Any other questions, just ask :)

Oh and am 19 years old now

Does MH fly 772 from Syd to KUL? i tot they use their 744

Does MH fly 772 from Syd to KUL? i tot they use their 744

Yea am just looking it up right now...the 772 used to fly late nights (around 10:30pm) direct to KL. It looks like they have terminated it now...am really depressed...I loved the 772s!!!!!!!!!!!!!

welcome to MW, Eric.

yes, MH used to operate the 772 on MH140/SYD/KUL. and IIRC the equipment change was due to the recent routing of SYD/BNE/KUL iso direct SYDKUL. picking up (and delivering) more pax and freight from BNE now.

back to topic:

Azuddin,

I'd go for the SQ's 77W.

Edited by Tony

Since everyone recommended SQ, I'll go for SQ.

Azuddin

If you look at the SQ schedules and plan accordingly, you could bag the 772, 77W (-SW series) and 773 (-SY series) all on SQ on KUL-SIN-HKG vv.

(That's 3 different safety cards).

The 772 on the KUL-SINvv leg can also come in 2 configs, the regional 2 class (-SR series) or the long haul (-SV series), not that there'll be much difference in Y, apart from perhaps a marginal increase in leg room on the latter.

Good day Azuddin,

There are several factors to be considered before making your decision.

1. Time Flexibility:

Do you have to travel to HKG at a specific time? Because if you don't then maybe MH is the carrier to choose because there is only 1 flight on B772 in a day, which depart at 09:15 am.

If you have to travel on a specific time, then SQ should be your choice as they have 5 daily flights (out of 9) which are using an all B777 equipments to HKG to choose from.

2. Flight Duration:

If you would like to arrive in HKG in the shortest time, then choose MH as it offers a direct non stop flight to HKG. You'll be there in 3 hours and 45 minutes.

If time is at your disposal and you don't mind to transit in SIN and changing from one aircraft to another, then choose SQ. By doing so, the travel time will become almost 6 hours including the time spend on the ground while transiting.

3. Ticket Price

If you have more money, fly MH. I use 30 Oct and 6 Nov as a dummy to search for your flight tickets and on MH the ticket on MH 72/73 for the dates are MYR 1,705 (V class).

SQ offers a cheaper price. On the same dates, it is only MYR 1,583.

All prices are inclusive of tax and surcharges.

4. Other Matters

Several little issues have to be considered as well. Since it is going to be your first B777 and someone suggested that it should be a memorable one, SQ's B77W is a good idea especially if you are travelling on Business Class. The J class on SQ's B77W stunned the aviation world by storm! There's only 1 B77W being deployed daily so you have to fly on SQ 103 (KUL-SIN) and then on SQ 862 (SIN-HKG) to catch this beauty.

FFP Miles. Choose MH if you are an Enrich Member who would like to gain more miles or choose SQ if you would like to join the elite world of Krisflyers and the whole StarAlliance FFPs benefits.

Food. As a muslim, halal food is paramount. If you don't mind having a halal food as a 'special food' then go with SQ. Standard food on SQ is HARAM. I on the other hand won't ever tolerate that so MH will always be my choice.

(I know that halal food can be ordered specifically but as I highlighted, I only fly a carrier that offer halal meals as their standard meals, not 'special food'. Personal reason).

MAY YOU CHOOSE WITH WIT AND WISDOM. Have a wonderful journey ahead.

I'm still considering

Now my dad ask me to take his Enrich gold point and redeem it for KUL-HKG-KUL.

go with CX. the shopping onboard. i know you got a long list of goods want to buy from CXcitement!

SQ inflight sale is better. CX only sell the 1/1000 scale Boeing and Airbus set on board, but not on all route (only on long haul).

Azuddin

Mohd Azizul,

Is there any recommendation of any websites i can use to book flights online? I tend to get ridicolously high prices when i try to search online.

Food. As a muslim, halal food is paramount. If you don't mind having a halal food as a 'special food' then go with SQ. Standard food on SQ is HARAM. I on the other hand won't ever tolerate that so MH will always be my choice.

(I know that halal food can be ordered specifically but as I highlighted, I only fly a carrier that offer halal meals as their standard meals, not 'special food'. Personal reason).

MAY YOU CHOOSE WITH WIT AND WISDOM. Have a wonderful journey ahead.

I wouldn't necessarily state explicitly that standard SQ food is "HARAM". Food uploaded in places like DXB, AUH, JED, KHI are all halal by default. (the same may apply to some or all India stations) Also, std food uploaded elsewhere may include vegetarian or seafood based meals which are certainly not HARAM.

I wonder what would you fly on if the likes of MH, EK, BI, QR, EY, SV, GF, KU etc do not serve a destination that you're heading to.

Sign in to follow this