MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Rumour: MH to Cut Inflight Meals Beginning 1 October 2007

I meant jani and michael. they seem to be very much enamoured by IJ&co.

haha just because I choose not to kutuk them, I am considered 'enamoured'? Alright :clapping:

haha just because I choose not to kutuk them, I am considered 'enamoured'? Alright :clapping:

Jani, well said.

Things are very George Bush when it comes to MH. If you don't kutuk, then you're seen as a MH lover. if you don't share my opinion, then you're against me.

Sigh.

aiyoh...its like a stiffling dictatorship here. I think the 'friends of MAS' get a lot of flak from the MAS lovers.

anyways, there is a difference btwn not 'kutuk'ing and being completely taken by IJ&co.

Don't believe everything you read. That's the moral of the story.

Live and learn boy-o.

Edited by Izanee

HC CHai...looking forward to SQ's A380 service to London. I always avoided them due to my nationalistic pride but I will give them a try this time. After all, its the A380 we're talking about!!! :)

And I don't fancy eating out of a snack box and microwaving my own meal.

Since we've drifted so far from the original title - how can we improve the snek boks?

1. Bin it?

2. more substantial portions

3. more chicken/meat options...not just capsicum

And to be honest, I don't care two hoots whether MAS management look at this website or not. It will NOT change a single damn thing.

Edited by Izanee

Guest Michael

Like I said before, I reckon the snack box is going to stay around for a while.

On my recent flight, i wrote to MH to ablish the snack as that doesnt comes in line with a 5 Star airlines.

any reply from them yet ???

An analysis of MH's FY 2007 results showed that it saved a relatively measly MYR5million in inflight meal costs over the previous year's corresponding cost.

So, one can deduce that is how much MH is saving by introducing snackboxes, microwave-look-alike meals...it isn't really a lot of savings in the bigger scheme of things, for a MYR15 billion-revenue-entity. But I think it is more damaging to passenger goodwill.

And btw, MH, the bogus "5-star" airline, has quietly removed seafood meal as one of the available special-order meals.

So-called detractors of MH would not have much to say if MH did not create the 5-star hype. However, calling one-self a 5-star airline whilst dishing out low quality inflight meals (& for some miserable savings) is akin to taking customers for granted, and lying to the marketplace.

Maybe MH should come clean by introducing an asterisk to the term 5-star whenever it uses the term in print or e-media. The asterisk would refer to fine print stating "Applicable only to first and business class and on selected aircraft and routes only."

Ohh, wait I forgot...MH wanted to be leisure focus and business interested. Then maybe it should have put more emphasis on the quality of its Y offerings.

MH of today seems to be full of contradictions, typical of an entity trying to be what it is not.

Would the real IJ & Co please make up their mind?

Would the real IJ & Co please make up their mind?

I very much believe they have done that, already

How else could the snek-boks survey and related grahical illustration have seen the light of day ? :D

I very much believe they have done that, already

How else could the snek-boks survey and related grahical illustration have seen the light of day ? :D

No, not on the snackbox per se, as that is what they seem to have embarked on beyond the short term.

IJ & Co should make up their mind on what MH should really be, as a REAL 5-star carrier does not dish out low quality meals to save a miserable MYR 5m. It's an oxymoron.

haha....there we go! my comments have been justified. i knew that the savings on inflight meals were paltry but this is just taking the piss! :)

This is why I am so incensed. They claim to be 'Five star' but are now antagonising the passengers by serving crap at higher prices, claiming it will provide significant cost reductions. Now we know the true value!

Taking away seafood is a cheap trick. What do you expect from MAS? More underhand, sneaky tactics...

Its becoming clearer everyday how much MAS is moving from being a 'Five star' to a 'value carrier'.

No, not on the snackbox per se, as that is what they seem to have embarked on beyond the short term.

IJ & Co should make up their mind on what MH should really be, as a REAL 5-star carrier does not dish out low quality meals to save a miserable MYR 5m. It's an oxymoron.

It spell out clearly in BTP2, to achieve IJ&co KPI, cost cutting is priority over 5 star status. They are preparing to lose 5, 4 and even 3 star status to meet or exceed their KPI.

:drinks:

I think MH should get rid of all things that associate them with being 'Five Star'. As we all know, this so called 'Five Star' status was given by Skytrax, a survey related agency (which SQ and CX on the other hand ashamed to admit of being one). Seeing what MH is offering now and the path it chooses moving forward, we can expect the title/status being revoked (downgraded). This is like soooooo going to happen FOR SURE because MH offerings are inferior that some of the Skytrax's 4 star airlines (like EY).

When this is happening, and MH is still in drags about being 'Five Star', that would be like the biggest 'kemaluan' ever!

It spell out clearly in BTP2, to achieve IJ&co KPI, cost cutting is priority over 5 star status. They are preparing to lose 5, 4 and even 3 star status to meet or exceed their KPI.

:drinks:

I know..personal goals are more important than long term effects to the entity...but that's another story.

MH would do justice to itself and its customers but stopping the 5-star hype. 5-star denotes luxury, and luxury certainly cannot co-exist with cost cutting LCC-like ops.

MH can just use the Value Airline tagline (sounds like Valuair, another has-been LCC) and operate like an LCC++ (i.e. just a tad more than LCC). Then, all customers will just luuuvvvv those dry capsicum sandwic (sp), having no grounds to complain!

And Mushrif also has suggested something very good in some of his recent posts, about the inflight hot meal sales onboard MH's flights. BUT the main question is, can MH do that?

We all know how miserable MH is when it comes to 'Ancillary Income' or anything that relates to collection of revenues. If they can ommitted something so big like online sales for 24 international destinations just for the sake to launch eticketing or something so small like accepting AMEX, JCB and debit cards for online ticket purchases from their website, I doubt they can excel in doing the inflight hot meal sales.

'Ancillary Income' is just not MH thing I suppose, given they way they project themselves to the Malaysian public, unlike AirAsia which is EXCELLENT in this arena.

Wah Lau eh !

This inflight "buy as you eat" concept can certainly add a cultural dimension to liven up long boring flights. For example

US - chap with baseball cap hawking "hot dogs, hot dogs, get your dogs here !"

Hong Kong - stereotyped old lady pushing steaming cart, droning "cha siew bau, har gau, siew mai ...... !"

India - super efficient chaps dishing out tiffin boxes

Australia - Mr Croc Dundee tending his bar-bee of kangaroo tail

Malaysia - kebaya girls still dishing out snek-boks (let's face it, those boks are here to stay !) :)

(Captain Nik, sorry ah. No bashing intended. Just an attempt at humour, poor as it may be :D )

So to answer the forum topic..."How To Imporve MH Snackbox?":

The answer(s) lie(s) outside the box (pun intended)

(1) MH stop bragging about so-called 5-star services; snackboxes and 5-star services are very much oil-and-water.

(2) Look into supplementing those snackboxes with a "for-purchase-hotmeal" programme.

Separately, as those here-to-stay snackboxes are easy to clean, take away, store and dish-out, MH could have these for sale on the shorter less than 1 hr flights, again supplementing the free beverage-&-peanuts service. I'm sure they could sell more than a few on the SIN & PEN runs to,say, business folks travelling in Y running from meetings to meetings & didn't have time to grab a decent meal - not even that ubiquitous McD/KFC/A&W at the terminals.

MH may now not be that big on ancillary small-scale income generating activities, as Azizul pointed out, but if it can be that big on ancillary cost savings as seen in the inflight meal cost savings, it should also see that there are two sides to a coin. AK is a good example of small numbers add up to become big ones.