MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Rumour: MH to Cut Inflight Meals Beginning 1 October 2007

Latest MH Skytrax review (17/3) states the dreaded box is now appearing mid-flight on longhaul also (LHR-KUL-LHR).

Author, not suprisingly, wants improvements in the Economy catering.

Wake up IJ & MH.

The one served on the longhaul sector is a different snackbox in my opinion.

MH 17 AMS-KUL 21 October 2007

DSC03182amskul21oct07.jpg

This snackbox was served between the 2 main meals in the flight. I think it is an upgrade because it was not served before (recalling my experience onboard MH 1 and MH 4 KUL-LHR-KUL in 2004). I think MH came out with this idea to prevent passengers from having to leave their seats to get the snacks at the galley as in the previous arrangement. I find it a nice addition to accompany the IFE perusing session on the long flights.

However, on the other hand, the portion of the 2 main meals was drastically reduced.

Latest MH Skytrax review (17/3) states the dreaded box is now appearing mid-flight on longhaul also (LHR-KUL-LHR).

Author, not suprisingly, wants improvements in the Economy catering.

Wake up IJ & MH.

Please do go to Skytrax and you will see that since last month MH has hardly any 5 star reviews. Most 3 star with even 1 star! Just last year almost every review was a 4 or 5 stars. Something is wrong MH!

Has anyone kept track on the number of complaint letters to the press re: snackbox since its introduction? Yet, MH insists that they are doing the right thing, and that's what the customers want.

I know it is off limit in this forum, but does it remind you of a certain political party?

My recent observation of late is that there has hardly been any mention of Skytrax 5-star status by MAS. Only the "Malaysian Hospitality" and "Award Winning Cabin Crew" tag lines. Possibly the advertising direction/focus has shifted direction, in line with already announced shift in targetted market segment

My recent observation of late is that there has hardly been any mention of Skytrax 5-star status by MAS. Only the "Malaysian Hospitality" and "Award Winning Cabin Crew" tag lines. Possibly the advertising direction/focus has shifted direction, in line with already announced shift in targetted market segment

After al those changes you think they still have the cheek to mention 5 Star?

After al those changes you think they still have the cheek to mention 5 Star?

Well, there has not been any announcement from Skytrax that MAS has been stripped of its 5-Star status nor any updated 5-Star airline listing where MAS has been dropped. So, technically, bragging rights still with MAS, cheekful or cheekless as it may be :)

Anyway, my point was the 5-Star status doesn't gel very well with the proclaimed "leisure focussed, business interested" approach outlined in BTP2. So, I suppose dropping the emphasis on the 5-Star airline status is a step in the right direction. Presumably and hopefully also reduce/prevent cases where customers feel deceived by advertising 5-Star service, paying 5-Star prices but getting less than satisfactory catering for eg ;)

Guest Michael

MAS keeping the snack box is saving them money and airlines like to save money if they can do that.

Customers would like to save money too, and spend their hard-earned cash elsewhere that gives much greater value.

"Nothing more than budget dining"

T.H.C. , Labuan

New Straits Times 19/3/08

I AM not surprised that Hayati Ali of Malaysia Airlines should write so glowingly of the airlines' meal-box ("Meal-box advantages" -- NST March 13, 2008), especially since it is so much cheaper than the previous meal system and means easier work for flight attendants.

Reading between the lines, I've come to the conclusion that the majority of us are paying a high price flying with a non-budget airline that's not giving us premium service.

How can an airline like MAS serve a hard bun with a little mineral water, juice and fruit?

I travelled with a group of people recently and everybody objected to these meal-boxes. There is no option for travellers, whereas in the local budget airline we pay a much lower price but do get to choose our meal.

Indeed, MAS is getting more absurd. Before, they complained about not making a profit.

Now, after making more than RM800 million in profits, they serve us these buns.

I urge Malaysia Airlines to consider delivering premium service to travellers who fly on the national carrier.

During my last flight from BKI-KUL-KUL, i had made a hard complaint to the meal box. This is what i heard from them. I seriously doubt the quality will be improve in the short term. Well, i will lodge another complaint on my next flight to KUL which is schedule on 25/03/2008.

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

19 March 2008

GTS4957-03/2008-FI

Mr. Tay Tshung Ching

Email: kenneth_taytc@yahoo.co.uk

Dear Mr. Tay,

Thank you for your feedback through our inflight suggestion form

regarding

your travel experience with us.

We were concerned to learn that our "meal box" served on our flight was

not

to your satisfaction. We have since directed your concerns to the

relevant

departments for their improvement and immediate corrective action.

Currently, our meal box is in a robust development stage whereby its

components are being changed on a monthly basis. We are still

continuously

monitoring our customer feedback for further enhancement of meal box

and

its components. Continuous research is also currently being conducted

to

enhance the other components of our meal box. We hope you will bear

with us

while we implementing these initiatives.

Mr. Tay,

At this juncture we would like to thank you for your compliments for

the service rendered by our cabin crew whose names were mentioned in

your feedback. We have extended your kind feedback to the staff

concerned through their departmental head and we are sure that it will

spur them on to continue their good work.

On behalf of Malaysia Airlines, we thank you for taking the time to

your views with us. Let us assure you that the management of Malaysia

Airlines takes your feedback seriously and will continue to monitor and

track our customers' preference.

Yours sincerely,

Nur Hafizah Ghazali

Customer Response Department

Disclaimer:

"The message and any files attached is intended solely for the use of

the

person to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is

confidential and privileged under applicable laws. If you are not the i

ntended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, review,

disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or dissemination of this

message is prohibited. We take no responsibility of any reliance that

you may place on this message and we further take no responsibility for

any viruses or other damaging elements that may be contained in this

email

together with any of its attachments. If you have received this message

in

error, please notify us by return email and arrangements will be made

to

retrieve the same from you."

Looks like a canned response. No surprises there seeing they have pretty much made their mind up.

Looks like a canned response. No surprises there seeing they have pretty much made their mind up.

Yes, i do agreed with your comment. Datuk IJ is not going to change his mind in order to achieve the targeted profit. I had yet to decide what im going to write on my next flight to KL.

Edited by Kenneth T

I had yet to decide what im going to write on my next flight to KL

No need to decide yet, wait till you've actually sampled what they are going to offer on your "next flight" :)

Easy Kenneth, as so many others have said on this topic - vote with your feet - go with another airline! :)

And I thought all this while only Fedex, UPS and DHL carry boxes.

Let us look at the other point of view on the snack box. someone actually impressed with it.

http://mossmx5.wordpress.com/2008/03/20/mas-i-am-impressed/

</h2>

<h2>MAS, I am impressed….

I was on my official trip to Kota Kinabalu, Sabah on Tuesday ETD at 1500hrs. I have earlier ate my lunch in the Malaysia Airlines (MAS) Golden Lounge. The flight took off on schedule. It was a 2 and 1/2 hours flight.

What impressed me was the new style of the meal presentation. Before it’s used to be on a small tray and the choice of ‘nasi lemak’ (rice with some condiments) or omellete. Infact those days, I have already decided what to eat even before the stewardess opened her mouth to offer me the only two items on the menu.

I am not sure when MAS started introducing this beautiful meal box.It was a lovely decorated rectangular box. Inside you will find three slices of sandwiches with a selection of cheese, beef/chicken and a vegetarian slice. A cup of mineral water, a kit kat chocolate and an apple were also included. Drinks are then offered in a much more friendly manner. You can even have the meal box as a take away which a number of the passengers did.It’s a totally a break way from the MAS traditional style of serving the customers. Some bright new guys in MAS Customer Service Division are thinking outside the box. I can bet with you that the ideas are not coming from the old guns!!! Gone are the nasi lemak and omellete which is even served at teatime!!!

MAS has won numerous top awards for her excellent inflight service. Keep it up guys and keep introducing surprises. For online bookings, do surf www.malaysiaairlines.com .

OMG, i cant believe what had i read here. Im quite sure snack box will be on again on my next flight. I managed to get some feedback from my colleagues who went to KUL on the last few weeks for training and i can tell you all that they still prefer the hot meal than the snack box. Look like this time i gonna make a hard complaint to the MH management again.

Edited by Kenneth T

Let us look at the other point of view on the snack box. someone actually impressed with it.

Is the snackbox being served in Golden Club Class too? Or this passenger got into the Golden Lounge because he subscribes to the Golden Lounge program (Enrich Silver) or got in under someone else's membership (as a companion)?

Either way, after splurging your appetite at the vast buffet in the Golden Lounge, of course receiving the snackbox onboard is considered somewhat 'pleasant'. What about those who rushed to get into the aircraft and missed their breakfast/lunch/dinner only to find out that these snackboxes are served onboard? Would they be happy about it?

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

Easy Kenneth, as so many others have said on this topic - vote with your feet - go with another airline! :)

no worry. for sure he will not. :D

i believe they just simply copy and paste for the front part of the feedbach :pardon:

this 'impressed' person was probably the brilliant person working in MH who sparked the bright idea of introducing the snackbox during the numerous brain-storming sessions. some alpha/omega project... can't remember which

what a load of crap. he's lucky enough to have eaten to his heart's content in the golden lounge...as azizul said, what about others who travel in Y class?

What about a vote of no confidence??

Why, you think you own MAS kah ?! :p

As has been repeatedly opined here, you and I and everyone else here who is neither employee of nor shareholder of MAS (I hereby declare that I am neither) have in effect no stake in MAS' well being. How dare we commoners make such criticism of our national carrier :)

Heck, even our newly elected government has not attained such level of impudence (yet) !

Perhaps we (the committee) should be subjected to the keyboard equivalent of washing one's mouth out with soap !! ;)