MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Rumour: MH to Cut Inflight Meals Beginning 1 October 2007

what a load of crap. he's lucky enough to have eaten to his heart's content in the golden lounge...as azizul said, what about others who travel in Y class?

I dont think that cant of scenario should deserves a compliments.

I'm sorry to sound so stupid, but is the snack box really that bad? I don't understand what's all the fuss is about, but then again, it's been awhile since I've flown anywhere.

I agree with you. What's all the fuss about?

As long as I'm not served a snack box on an intercontinental flight, I don't mind it on regional and intra ASEAN. I flew Austrian Airlines within Europe and I had to actually pay for my meal because I was only flying Y, Austrian only gave us freebies from the F&B cart when we had to turn around back to VIE since we couldn't land due to the weather. Flying Qantas from SYD to BNE I was given only a muesli bar, and a soft drink. Flying across America, LAX to JFK the only free food in Y you get is salted nuts and such, you have to pay for food and thats a long transcontinental flight. So really I don't see why people are making such a big deal when MAS introduces a snack box, especially in view of developments around the world, at least they're not charging me. I could probably foresee many more airlines doing the same sort of thing around the region sooner than later.

As long as I'm not served a snack box on an intercontinental flight, I don't mind it on regional and intra ASEAN. I flew Austrian Airlines within Europe and I had to actually pay for my meal because I was only flying Y, Austrian only gave us freebies from the F&B cart when we had to turn around back to VIE since we couldn't land due to the weather. Flying Qantas from SYD to BNE I was given only a muesli bar, and a soft drink. Flying across America, LAX to JFK the only free food in Y you get is salted nuts and such, you have to pay for food and thats a long transcontinental flight. So really I don't see why people are making such a big deal when MAS introduces a snack box, especially in view of developments around the world, at least they're not charging me. I could probably foresee many more airlines doing the same sort of thing around the region sooner than later.

My thoughts exactly! At least the snack box is free.

Some 101s for you...

- when you say loudly and publicly you are one of the best in the world, you don't compare yourself with the not-so-best-of-the-world. So, your comparison is seriously flawed to start with.

- when you publicly declare to the customer you are one of the best in the world, you don't mislead your customer by dishing out sub-standard products.

- Malaysian Hospitality means that you give the best to your guest, not a downgrade from the previous offering.

You should be able to figure out the rest of the equation...

Some 101s for you...

- when you say loudly and publicly you are one of the best in the world, you don't compare yourself with the not-so-best-of-the-world. So, your comparison is seriously flawed to start with.

- when you publicly declare to the customer you are one of the best in the world, you don't mislead your customer by dishing out sub-standard products.

- Malaysian Hospitality means that you give the best to your guest, not a downgrade from the previous offering.

Are we still enjoying what MH has been offering previously? I left you guys to decide that's the most likely answer.

Edited by Kenneth T

MAS is not a charity and as such, nothing is "free" :)

..... I don't see why people are making such a big deal when MAS introduces a snack box, especially in view of developments around the world, at least they're not charging me .....

:)

Edited by BC Tam

I'm sorry to sound so stupid, but is the snack box really that bad? I don't understand what's all the fuss is about, but then again, it's been awhile since I've flown anywhere.

These snackboxed are served on regional flights not more than 3.5 hours. BKK, KCH, BKI, MYY and some others have been seeing this boxes. This is South East Asia where we have some of the best airlines in the world competing right next to each other and I am referring to SQ and TG. Both SQ and TG do NOT serve snackbox meals to their passengers on regional flights. Comparing MH with OS, QF or any American airlines are not valid because they are serving different region with different customer behaviours, in my opinion.

Another major reason for the grievances is that MH's airfares continue to increase despite the hot meals being changed with the snackboxes. There wouldn't be so much fuss if the airfares are cut in line with the downgrade of the meals service.

Are you out of your mind? The snackbox is not free. All meals onboard MH are never free. It is included in the ticket price. If earlier, I can get a one way KUL-KCH flight with hot meals with just MYR 125 but now I have to pay MYR 365 for the same ticket but get the snackboxes instead of the hot meals, do you think I am happy about that?

For this 2 newcomers, I hope you are a frequent traveller and you know what you are saying. MH's snackboxes have been discussed to death in this forum in 2 very long threads. It has resulted in fights among forum members as well.

The first thread when the rumour first surfaced in September 2007. http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6662

Then, a continuation of the thread after some misunderstanding in the first one. http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7662

Then, after the snackboxes have started its invasion, a thread on how to improve it came about. http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7293

Then, we have this thread, a 4th one just for this snackboxes issue.

MAS is not a charity and as such, nothing is "free".

BC, perhaps this 2 gentlemen have been flying MH for 'free' for too long (maybe they are government servants or something) that they forget normal people actually do have to pay for the tickets (pure speculation here based on the tone of the explanation. My apology if it is not true).

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

Guest Michael

Yep we need to learn that the snackbox is an idea probably coming from other airlines so MAS is on par with the peers.

Out of curiosity, maybe the mods can verify if the two are posting from the same IP address?

Edited by H Azmal

MH's fare had increase significantly over the years. The last month online fare from BKI-KUL-BKI is RM1,212 and when i purchased it yesterday it has revised further up to RM1,228 on a full EY fares. That's insane especially they are removing the hot meals too. It just does not matched with the improvement in inflight service.

Another major reason for the grievances is that MH's airfares continue to increase despite the hot meals being changed with the snackboxes. There wouldn't be so much fuss if the airfares are cut in line with the downgrade of the meals service.

Are you out of your mind? The snackbox is not free. All meals onboard MH are never free. It is included in the ticket price. If earlier, I can get a one way KUL-KCH flight with hot meals with just MYR 125 but now I have to pay MYR 365 for the same ticket but get the snackboxes instead of the hot meals, do you think I am happy about that?

You're oversimplifying here. You're not considering the rise in fuel and of course the inflation

BC, perhaps this 2 gentlemen have been flying MH for 'free' for too long (maybe they are government servants or something) that they forget normal people actually do have to pay for the tickets (pure speculation here based on the tone of the explanation. My apology if it is not true).

FYI, I'm a student. I've NEVER flown for free (but I would love to!)

You're oversimplifying here. You're not considering the rise in fuel and of course the inflation

That is a bullcrap.. I have been buying ticket to the same destination for over 8 years with SQ. Ticket price stays the same (maybe even lower), while the fuel surcharge and taxes has increase by double, maybe more. However, I don't see any decrease in terms of service with SQ. I still have a great entertainment options and hot meals. MH on the other hand, has replaced the refreshment on the long haul sector with cold hard sandwich. On the short haul sectors, they changed to snackbox :angry:

Increase in prices and surcharges due to fuel, people can understand. But when your ticket prices goes up, the least thing that the airline can do is let the service level unchanged. If MH, promote itself as 3 stars airlines, people probably don't care about it. But once they promote themselves to be in the same league as SQ and CX, that's outrageous.

Out of curiosity, maybe the mods can verify if the two are posting from the same IP address?

Please do, because I don't like the implications of your request.

Is it so hard to believe that 2 people might seem to think that snack boxes are not so bad?

Some 101s for you...

Thank you for educating me with 101's.

I never commented on the MAS publicity spiel and spin on the snack box, which i have long agreed with everyone here, its ridiculous, a load of bull, but who really believes PR spin and can't see what it actually is? I think Joe public notices that MAS is money pinching, cutting back on the frills no matter how great the advertising of Malaysian Hospitality, of the abbreviations of FSVC nonsense.

I'm commenting on the product itself, the snack box and not MH's spin. I personally don't have a problem with the snack box (shocking ehh..), I've flown other carriers around the world that's done the same or worse, so when MAS does it, I don't particularly mind.

You're oversimplifying here. You're not considering the rise in fuel and of course the inflation. FYI, I'm a student. I've NEVER flown for free (but I would love to!)

No, I am not. The price increase was within a period of less than 3 years, while at the same time AK can offer a seat on the same route with only MYR 70 one way inclusive of tax and surcharges less than a month ago.

These snackboxed are served on regional flights not more than 3.5 hours. BKK, KCH, BKI, MYY and some others have been seeing this boxes. This is South East Asia where we have some of the best airlines in the world competing right next to each other and I am referring to SQ and TG. Both SQ and TG do NOT serve snackbox meals to their passengers on regional flights. Comparing MH with OS, QF or any American airlines are not valid because they are serving different region with different customer behaviours, in my opinion.

Well, I disagree, I see this as the direction of regional air travel, once upon a time, I'm sure hot meals were served regionally in the states, Europe, Australia, you know, during the romantic glory days of aviation. But with the advent of LCCs, airlines all had to adapt to the competition, LCCs are new to this region, but their impact is surely being made. Like I said in my earlier post, I can foresee more of this happening in down the years. As for consumer behaviors, I'm a Malaysian and I don't mind it.

Another major reason for the grievances is that MH's airfares continue to increase despite the hot meals being changed with the snackboxes. There wouldn't be so much fuss if the airfares are cut in line with the downgrade of the meals service. Are you out of your mind? The snackbox is not free. All meals onboard MH are never free. It is included in the ticket price. If earlier, I can get a one way KUL-KCH flight with hot meals with just MYR 125 but now I have to pay MYR 365 for the same ticket but get the snackboxes instead of the hot meals, do you think I am happy about that?

You're taking it out of context, sure it's included in the ticket price, but I was making a comparison to other carriers, taking my experience with OS as an example, where they made me pay for my food (taking my wallet out a giving them Euros) on a regional European flight , a 1hr flight that cost me much much more than what MH charges you to KCH.

For this 2 newcomers, I hope you are a frequent traveller and you know what you are saying. MH's snackboxes have been discussed to death in this forum in 2 very long threads. It has resulted in fights among forum members as well.

Yes, I know it's been discussed to death, I'm just pointing out my personal opinion with regards to the matter, I personally don't mind it being introduced.

Then, we have this thread, a 4th one just for this snackboxes issue.

I'm not a government servant, I don't know about the other dude though. In fact, I've abandoned MH for international flights for a some time, I try to fly Star Alliance airlines because I'm a Silver M&M member. I usually found their fares, TG/SQ being more competitive than MH. Last time I flew MH was when I was living in Singapore, only then did I find were their flight more competitive price wise, ex SIN.

I am a newbie but I've been flying since the 80's, many many things have changed since then, I just hope dissenting personal opinions are allowed here.

With total tax and surcharges now on MAS domestic coming up to RM71 per way within peninsular, and RM115 per way between peninsular and Sabah / Sarawak to qualify for snack box meal, soon many more of the remaining 45% (TF claims AK has 55% domestic market share) will stop flying MAS and switch over to other carriers. At least one will not get insulted by snekboks offerings anymore and have the dignity to choose from a choice of hot meals offered by the likes of Air Asia. Or for extra service worth the money, go KUL-SIN-BKI on SQ / Silkair.

..... I see this as the direction of regional air travel, .....

Yes, agreed here on this point - sad though the reality may be :(

In a perverted way, I suppose MAS can be considered a pioneer in this avenue. I sincerely hope to be proven wrong in time to come, but I do believe that SQ, TG, CX and the likes are watching MAS' 'experiment' with more interest than anyone here in this forum :)

At the slightest indication that MAS can get away with it and there is a justifiable business case to be made, snack boxes in some form or another will be appearing on other carriers tooIn the most pessimistic viewpoint, the rot has started ! :(

..... I just hope dissenting personal opinions are allowed here

one of the wonders of the www (imo) is that there are no dissenting opinions, merely differing views :)

Edited by BC Tam

haven't had time to discuss this snack box thing...new job is too tiring. Agree with BC...MAS is a 'pioneer' but i doubt quality airlines like EK, SQ and TG will follow suit. maybe garuda and pr

haven't had time to discuss this snack box thing...new job is too tiring. Agree with BC...MAS is a 'pioneer' but i doubt quality airlines like EK, SQ and TG will follow suit. maybe garuda and pr

GA already has snack box on their short haul domestic flights and it has been there for as long as I can remember. However, I haven't seen them implement it on their international flights.

GA already has snack box on their short haul domestic flights and it has been there for as long as I can remember. However, I haven't seen them implement it on their international flights.

GA has in-fact up graded it's domestic service in order to compete against the many LCC in the country. For EY pax the baggage allowance is 30Kg. For flights below 60 mins inf-light service consist of newspaper, short movie, snacks service and choice of drinks. For 60-90 mins, newspapers, short movie, HOT MEAL, choice of drinks, On board shopping. For more than 120 mins, same as before but the HOT MEAL has 2 choice.

See the full list here

That's how you compete with LCC's. Premium service with premium price NOT LCC service with premium prices.

I think this shall be my last comment regarding the snack box. Enough said, now it's other airlines for me.

Edited by Alan B.

eh... Cool it babes...

The whole reason why the forum members are feeling all riled up is because MAS is branding itself as a multi awarded-5 star-premium-SQ esque carrier. But the present offerings are nothing more that AK wrapped in expensive gift paper.

If I were the travelling discerning frequent flier, I would get upset too.

Remember, IJ is here to ensure profits for the company. How he does that while maintaining the image is up to the PR department. So do I think the "snekbox" (alamak spelling also cannot get it right) is the way to go? For branding, no. For profits, yes.

And remember, IJ's main objective... profits, profits, profits...

The last month online fare from BKI-KUL-BKI is RM1,212 and when i purchased it yesterday it has revised further up to RM1,228 on a full EY fares.

For MAS most expensive return EY ticket between BKI/KUL, you can get it cheaper from a local travel agency. About RM100 cheaper.

Anyway, i'll be flying MAS again on 15/4/08 (MH051) to KUL and back to BKI on 18/4/08 (MH080). Both flight will be operated by 772. This could be my last flight with MAS !!!! I'll start flying AK on a regular basis soon. MAS can kiss my arse goodbye.