MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Rumour: MH to Cut Inflight Meals Beginning 1 October 2007

Guest Michael

I can speak for many that many people will continue to fly with MAS due to the service they receive.

Honestly, I havent been on those flights which serve the infamous "Snackbox".But it you compare with other US airlines...it is not too bad lar...

My mum and dad flew Air New Zealand between the islands and they were served juice and 50sen sized cookies.The crew would walk around with baskets and offering you cookies and sweets.My mum took two, my dad, being the "kiasu" type took a handful.It was like 8!! It was packed in clear plastic.Nothing to shout about but it had a very 'home-made feel" to it.

In US, most of the time they serve pretzels and a drink.So be thankful lar...

One key & very significant difference that you did not mentioned is that none of these airlines claim to offer a 5-star service. So one cannot be thankful if the airline misleads the pax, especially when one chooses the airline for frills and expects frills that are normally associated with an airline of that stature (even if it is hyped).

Reality fails to reflect expectations on MH's regional services. So, to a lot of customers, MH is simply "failing to meet expectations" - the new tagline.

On US airlines, you already know what to expect, and they do not pretend to the "best airline in the world". Your ANZ experience is also more akin to MH's intra-peninsula service.

Edited by Mushrif A

During one of my bored moments I paid the Skytrax site a visit and read the latest reviews for MH. Surprise, surprise, of late the stars given by the reviewers have fallen to 3 or 4 stars. It use to be almost all 5 stars last year, but of late there are more negative reviews and comments.

Emmmmm wonder how long the 5 star rating will last!

During one of my bored moments I paid the Skytrax site a visit and read the latest reviews for MH. Surprise, surprise, of late the stars given by the reviewers have fallen to 3 or 4 stars. It use to be almost all 5 stars last year, but of late there are more negative reviews and comments.

Emmmmm wonder how long the 5 star rating will last!

That new doesnt surprise me at all....and if there is a further cut, that may lead to a suspension from 4 star too.

Guest Michael

Ok guys maybe we should abolish the snack box after all hey if it is not being appreciated by enough people.

Ok guys maybe we should abolish the snack box after all hey if it is not being appreciated by enough people.

CANNOT !!

There is firm, irrefutable evidence that 9.3 out of every 10 pax appreciate snake-boks - please refer to some survey conducted by goodness knows who

Furthermore, who are we to be complaining here - our opinions here not worth the two hoots necessary to attract the attention of higher beings of MAS management anyway :)

Incidentally, did you mean abolish the snake-boks outright (ie no food) or to bring back the hot meal service ?

BC tam...almost choked on my sandwic (definitely 5 star and home cooked AND hot).... when i read your 'two hoots' comment! hahahaha.....i love that phrase...! :)

and yes, i know how to spell sandwich

Edited by Izanee

..... almost choked on my sandwic

Oh dear, not intended effect - sorry ! :D

Please chew, then swallow carefully next time :p

Get ready for more feel good statements:

Malaysia Airlines: Meal-box advantages

By : HAYATI ALI, General Manager, Inflight Service, Malaysia Airlines

WE REFER to the letter "Fast food no substitute for Malaysian fare" ( NST, March 6) by J.C.G. of Puchong, and we thank our customer for the feedback.

At Malaysia Airlines, we are committed to delivering hospitality and a value-for-money travel experience to our customers.

During the last quarter of last year, we introduced the meal-boxes on a trial basis to give passengers a new, healthier and more nutritious dining experience on board.

This was also in line with our drive towards evolving into a five-star value carrier without compromising on the quality of our products and services.

During the development phase of the meal-box, a detailed survey was conducted with economy class passengers who flew on our short-haul regional routes. The survey revealed that 47 per cent of passengers preferred the light meal-box compared with 26 per cent who opted for hot meals.

The survey also listed the top five food items that customers would like to see in a meal-box.

A selection of sandwiches, fruits, cookies, water, fruity yoghurt and muffin is offered depending on the time of day. Customers continue to enjoy unlimited supply of coffee, tea and fruit juices.

The meals are attractively presented in a box that can be taken away by our passengers. By having these meals packed into individual boxes, customers can decide to either immediately consume their meals or save them for later.

In addition, the concept enabled us to complete the meal service quicker and leave our crew extra time to attend to our passengers' needs and requests. The meal-box components are also changed on a monthly basis.

Ever since this concept was introduced, we have ongoing communication with customers for their feedback and found a high degree of acceptance.

Based on the feedback, we are introducing further improvements by substituting the sandwich component with a main dish at an ambient temperature for lunch and dinner on our Asean sectors, to be launched by April 1.

The feedback will be studied and monitored to identify areas for improvement.

Customers can also request for an inflight feedback form from the cabin crew. They can also email customer@mas. com.my or speak to any of the cabin crew on duty, who will record the feedback in the voyage report (VR).

Yawn yawn... different take on same spin. however, this time no mention about lighter aircraft load, no reheating required, thus saving fuel. Also no mention of number of cabin crew required per aircraft down to 3 from 4, no mention of saving extra 5 min turnaround time, thus squeezing out an extra flight per day per aircraft. Recalcitrant defense of a bad move, deja vu of Malaysian politics.

Spin enough and everyone will believe you, MH? Look at what happened to BN.

IJ & Co have been using the ‘unpopular’ and ‘expensive’ ‘lamb briyani’ on China route to justify for snack box. While on MH387 this morning, lunch was ‘lamb curry with boiled rice’.

Guess they are either engineering for another survey or they don’t believe their own survey. :pardon: :sorry:

P.s. Find the lamb curry pretty tasty, better than those crap dinner uploaded from KUL.

:drinks:

MH387 is to where from where?

Are you saying you didn't get snack box?

MH387 is PVG/KUL, about 5 ½ hours flight.

Snack box is for flight 2 hours or less.

:drinks:

MEAL BOXES: Let airline chew on your displeasure

I READ with amusement the reply by Hayati Ali, general manager, in-flight service, Malaysia Airlines, to complaints about the airline's introduction of the "snekbox" for flights below three hours.

MAS says 47 per cent of passengers prefer the light meal-box compared with 26 per cent who opted for hot meals. Just use your right to choose another airline and show your displeasure with your feet.

MAS is no longer the only airline for domestic flights. There's AirAsia for domestic and regional flights, where for a few extra ringgit, you can buy a hot meal.

If you prefer a full-service airline, there are many to choose from.

On a recent flight of about an hour within India on Jet Airways, I was served a hot breakfast and lunch. There was no "snekbox" in sight.

Need to travel to Europe? You will be spoilt for choice with airlines known for their service and you will be surprised at the cost of flying with them. If the 26 per cent stop flying with MAS, then maybe they will listen and change.

As for me, I will redeem my Enrich points and fly with them one last time.

looking at the reply, it should have been from Alan? i agree the most with the statement that reads "Just use your right to choose another airline and show your displeasure with your feet". MH sounds like BN now.

But, but, but ...... what happened to the 93% acceptance level ?! :D

There were purpoted hard facts and figures from whatever survey to back up that assertion, what gives ? :unknw:

If it needs pointing out, 47% is roughly half of 93% :spiteful:

Edited by BC Tam

If it needs pointing out, 47% is roughly half of 93% :spiteful:

Good one, BC, futher dividing it by 50% will probably give you the true figure. :) 23.5%

Good one, BC, futher dividing it by 50% will probably give you the true figure. :) 23.5%

Or probably square root of 93 = 9.6% acceptance level???

As one of you pointed out in this forum (can't remember who), acceptance level may have been construed from the number of pax that "accepts" the snackbox when given to them by the cabin crew.

Hence, a "rejection" will probably mean non-takers, either they had their meals before flight or someone who just throws a tantrum and flungs the snackbox back at the poor cabin crew.

As one of you pointed out in this forum (can't remember who), acceptance level .....

It was V Wong's post #194 here :)

I suppose that is why some of us are so looking forward, if at all possible, to look up the methodology of that survey. Humour is good for one's well being I believe !!

But seriously, there must be some F/A's amongst us here in this forum. Can they give an honest opinion as to paxs' general reaction to the sanck boxes ? Please ?

looking at the reply, it should have been from Alan? i agree the most with the statement that reads "Just use your right to choose another airline and show your displeasure with your feet". MH sounds like BN now.

That's very sharp of you Imran! It's an edited version of what I sent. the full version is below:

I read with amusement the reply by Hayati Ali, General Manager, In-flight Service, Malaysia Airlines to the recent complaints about the airlines introduction of the "snekbox" for flights below 3 hours. It was full of the usually "PR Talk". You know, the usual, "we are committed to delivering hospitality and a value-for-money travel", "without compromising on the quality of our products and services", "we have ongoing communication with customers" and "The feedback will be studied and monitored".

They say, "passengers preferred the light meal-box". So to 26 percent of you who don't, please don't bother to write complaints. Just use your right to choose another airline and show your displeasure with your feet.

Malaysia Airlines is no longer the only airline for domestic flights. There's Air Asia for both domestic and regional flights, where for few ringgit extra, you can purchase a hot meal. If you prefer a full service airline, then there are many to choose from. To Jakarta for example, try KLM which serve a nice hot meal with complimentary wine and only charge under RM500 return. There's Cathay Pacific, Thai and the world famous Singapore Airlines serving KLIA.

To India, try Jet Airways, who's in-flight service is way better that Malaysia Airlines and at a much lower price. On a recent flight of only 1 hour and 5 minutes within India on an ATR72, I was served a hot breakfast and lunch by Jet Airways. Not a "snekbox" in sight.

Need to travel to Europe? You will be spoilt for choice with Emirates, Qatar, Etihad which are well known for their superior service and you will be pleasantly surprised with the cost of flying with them.

While some may want friendly Malaysian crew, but I would like to remind them that most of the earlier mentioned airlines have Malaysian crew on board and I have had in-fact, experienced more unpleasant crew on Malaysian Airlines then on other airlines.

If the 26 percent stop flying with Malaysia Airlines, then maybe they will listen and change. Every one has the right to choose a better airline. As for me, I will redeem my Enrich points and fly with them one last time. Like a failed marriage, I say it was good while it lasted. You can keep your "sandwic".

That's very sharp of you Imran! It's an edited version of what I sent. the full version is below:

Wrong person la bro... :pardon:

Wrong person la bro... :pardon:

Hahaha sorry bro old man with bad eyesight! that was for Ramani! :blush:

Edited by Alan B.