MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
adrianqcs

MAS to look into replacing B737-400s

http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BT/S...46.txt/Article/

MAS to look into replacing B737-400s

By Anna Maria Samsudin

bt@nstp.com.my

April 7 2007

AFTER being put on hold for several years, Malaysia Airlines (MAS) will relook plans to replace all 39 units of its ageing B737-400 aircraft.

The move is in line with the airline's overall aircraft revamp exercise, aimed at further improving the efficiency of its operations and services.

"We will replace these ageing aircraft. Initially the idea was put on hold because the airline has no money. I think, now, we can look into this matter," managing director Idris Jala told a group of Malaysian reporters during a recent visit to South Africa.

Although the airline has identified the aircraft model to replace the 737, he was not willing to disclose the information.

"We basically know what we want. However, we would not disclose this information as we want both Boeing and Airbus to compete," he said.

MAS, in 2004, announced plans to replace the ageing B737s with newer and more efficient aircraft,

With an estimated cost of RM4 billion, the exercise had to be put on hold as MAS attempted to revive its financial health.

To date, MAS has a total of 97 aircraft, comprising 17 units of B777s, 17 units B747s, 39 B737s and 16 A330s.

Under its aircraft renewal plans, the airline had also announced plans to acquire long range narrow-body aircraft to support its network expansion in the region.

These new planes, either owned or leased, are expected to boost the national carrier's capacity by 20 per cent by 2011.

Idris said under plan, MAS aims to own at least 30 per cent of its fleet of aircraft, which would be used to serve its core routes, namely in the Asia-Pacific area.

To date, more than 90 per cent of its aircraft are owned by parent company Penerbangan Malaysia Bhd (PMB).

He explained that owning its own aircraft would enable the airline to manage its cost better.

"Leasing is expensive. We are currently paying around RM2 billion a year. Successful airlines such as SIA are more in control over their cost because they own their aircraft.

"When you own your aircraft, it would be easier for you not only in controlling cost but also in replacing the aircraft with a more efficient one," he added.

MAS, under its five-year plan aims to capitalise on high-growth travel regions through a more connected network.

The 2007-2011 network masterplan will see the national carrier expanding its core network in Asia-Pacific, while strengthening its hub and spoke connectivity in Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

hmmm I like the use of the word "longer-range narrow-bodies"... the A321? NAAAHHH! the A320? NAAAAHHH!! The B738/739ER! YEEEAAHHH BABY! 73H please!

737NG plz! Boeing want to conquer KUL too!!!

Since they dun hv money, won't expect any order at all ;)

i sure hope it's the NGs..because it would only mean differences training for the 734 boys in MH..if it's A320,*gulp*.....i dont want to go back to ground zero and start all over again <_<

If we only let those who will operate, and those who will maintain those aircraft, then the choice will be obvious. But the politicians might not agree.

Hope they read this thread

737NG's PLEASE!

No more flying toothpaste a.k.a A320's... NO MOREEEE!!

737?

A320?

Hmm, they all look and feel the same to me....? :huh: :pardon: *blushes*

:blink: BLASPHEMOUS! :blink: The Airbus and Boeing Gods shall strike you with a bolt of lightning!!

hehehe

:blink: BLASPHEMOUS! :blink: The Airbus and Boeing Gods shall strike you with a bolt of lightning!!

hehehe

:eek:

*runs*

Well at least I can differentiate the QF 734s and 738s - the latter has Millenium seats, the former has the generic adjustable seats. :D

Edited by Keith T

Millenium seats?

Keith, what's the difference? :)

hehe

Millenium seats are comfier than the other ones. ;) [domestic flights]

Millenium seats are also the ones used for Jetstar Star Class.

Not that QF operates A320s I don't think...

Been on both A320/737 and they do just feel the same. The A320 might have a slightly bigger cabin but there was no noticeable increase in seatpitch.

Edited by Keith T

Not that QF operates A320s I don't think...

Been on both A320/737 and they do just feel the same. The A320 might have a slightly bigger cabin but there was no noticeable increase in seatpitch.

What Keith said.

Cabin of A320 looks and feels larger (just), but neither is more comfortable than the other. :rolleyes:

And no QF doesn't operate A320s. :D

But my vote goes to the 737, still. Obvious reasons - training, maintenance, everything. Upgrade, don't switch - it costs more!

Then again, every year they review the same stack of papers and nothing gets done. I won't put a bet on it anymore. <_>

Politicians and Airbus? So, what makes the politicians want Airbus? They like France better :nea: :p

Edited by Seth K

Because of AK is operating A320, MH prefer 738.

If MH can delay the decision by a few more years, MH may able to order 737X. However, the decision to purchase is very often political and decided by ‘kick back’, so anything can happen.

:drinks:

The Airbus and Boeing Gods shall strike you with a bolt of lightning!!

Yikes, Keith's 'indiscretion' must have been of such magnitude for the two (normally) opposing "Gods" to reach a common concensus, and furthermore undertake remedial action together !! :)

Politicians and Airbus? So, what makes the politicians want Airbus? They like France better :nea: :p

No way to tell if Malaysian politicians have any preference for anything French, but they (the French chappies) do have the CDG landing slots so coveted by MH !

Yikes, Keith's 'indiscretion' must have been of such magnitude for the two (normally) opposing "Gods" to reach a common concensus, and furthermore undertake remedial action together !! :)

Pleased to be of assistance. ;)