MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Pieter C.

Pee before you fly

China Urges Pre-Flight Toilet Training To Save Fuel

November 30, 2006

A Chinese airline has calculated that it takes a litre of fuel to flush the toilet at 30,000 feet and is urging passengers to go to the bathroom before they board.

As Chinese airlines come under increasing pressure to cut fuel expenditures, China Southern's latest strategy is to encourage passengers "to spend their pennies before boarding the aircraft", Xinhua news agency reported on Thursday.

"The energy used in one flush is enough for an economical car to run at least 10 kilometres," Captain Liu Zhiyuan, who flies regularly between Hangzhou and Beijing, was quoted as saying.

Citing a survey by the company's logistics department, Liu said carrying one kilogram of items such as blankets and pillows by air for one hour uses 0.2 kg of fuel.

"This means the blankets and pillows on board the aircraft eat up 60 tonnes of fuel every day. If each seat is loaded with three 450 gram magazines, another 60 tonnes will be consumed," Liu explained.

Another cost-saving technique will keep CNY47 million yuan (USD$6 million) a year in the airline's coffers, Xinhua said.

"The company has asked logistics staff to fill the water tank only 60 percent full."

In the first half of the year, the "aggregated loss" of Chinese airlines was estimated at around CNY3 billion (USD$382 million), Xinhua said.

(Reuters)

Aduy........ :lol:

energy used in one flush is enough for an economical car to run at least 10 kilometres

wow! interesting! i will try to flush twice then :p

Hey! Does that mean I can power a car with my waste? How's that for new energy! (Joking mood) :p :D

Edited by H Azmal

A Chinese airline has calculated that it takes a litre of fuel to flush the toilet at 30,000 feet and is urging passengers to go to the bathroom before they board.

Wow, I didn't know that :o :blink: :blink: <_>

Edited by Andrew Ong

Excuse not to upload amenities or enough water to flush the toilet.

Easier to limit pax luggage allowance to 5kg each or surcharge pax who is weight over 55kg.

:drinks:

Edited by KK Lee

that's interesting to know the "formula 1" toilet system in aircrafts consume so much of fuel....

Interested to know how much will one flush cost in A380's toilet system where they claim the waste will be travelling at 60meter\s :p

It's amazing that this idea came from China...where the public toilets are "legendary" ! I think the inflight loos will have to be avoided once the on-board water supply runs out.

Another question:

To those who fly small GA planes where they are no toilets around..

Let say you want to do small and especially big business. What do you do dear pilots?

a)declare emergency landing

b)let go in pants

c)bring a plastic bag.

That reminds me...

Sitting in the Air NZ lounge now waiting for the departure of TG982, a 772ER with the (newer) new C beds. :good: Been chugging down Merlot as they have a great selection in the NZ lounge - seems like peeing prior to departure will be a wise idea. The NZ lounge is much nicer than the SQ lounge in MEL! Spotters will love this airport as it looks out directly and is level with the tarmac; you can see all the big birdies out there in clear view. Trippie with pics will be posted when I get back to MEL at the end of the month. :)

Edited by Keith T

May be charging for the use of toilet onboard is another idea for them to recoup the fuel.

:yahoo: :rofl: :drinks:

RM0.50 for 5 minutes. Door will open when time is up. :rofl: :rofl:

Thats fact is somewhat plausible, but since a portion of the air ticket has cater for the amenities i think thats all right. Its a plus minus situation, those pax which carry less than 20 kilos can compensate the loss.

hehe.

RM0.50 for 5 minutes. Door will open when time is up. :rofl: :rofl:

If I'm not mistaken, the public toilet in a country(China?) will open itself if you are using it for a long long time :pardon:

Coin-operated toilets maybe? ;)

Yeah, like Soul Plane.... :lol: Where they can also do the same to overhead baggage storage. :rofl:

I reckon that after people reading this article, they will flush more.............

yaya..purposely somemore :mellow:

Btw, actually is that a fact that the energy used to flush once = energy used for a car to move for 10kms?

Sign in to follow this