MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Tamizi Hj Tamby

Proposed SBW terminal complex 2 times bigger than JHB terminal complex

Guys,

From what i've remembered from a local daily (Sunday Eastern Times,22/10),the new SBW terminal complex will be 2 times bigger than JHB terminal complex.

If i'm not mistaken,it was mentioned by Deputy Minister of Housing and Local Government,Datuk Robert Lau Hoi Chew,who is also Member of Parliament (MP) for Sibu Town.

Any ideas,or confirmation on this news? I think this topic had been discussed several times before.

Any idea why JHB is used as the yardstick for comparison ? ;) I suppose it's a heck more politically correct than saying it will be half the size of KCH, or worse still a miniscule fraction of KLIA ! :D

Tamizi, any artist's impression of the project yet ? I thought someone came out with some conceptual design and made a model of it not long ago - are they likely to follow that idea ?

I'll bet Tan Sri TPK is already rubbing his hands in eager anticipation !! :)

Any idea why JHB is used as the yardstick for comparison ? ;) I suppose it's a heck more politically correct than saying it will be half the size of KCH, or worse still a miniscule fraction of KLIA ! :D

Tamizi, any artist's impression of the project yet ? I thought someone came out with some conceptual design and made a model of it not long ago - are they likely to follow that idea ?

I'll bet Tan Sri TPK is already rubbing his hands in eager anticipation !! :)

1. For what in the world does SBW need sto be that big, current size already no business.

2. For this one, I don't think TPK will do it. Just an instinct from the news I got when still in the industry.

1. For what in the world does SBW need sto be that big, current size already no business.

Couldn't agree more ...

They are building the airport for the next 100 years. :o If they don’t build something awesome, money can’t change hand. :blink:

SBW definately does not need a terminal that size...

sounds like some contracts will be lining some pockets instead... <_>

Firstly,thanks for your feedbacks,guys.

If the terminal complex construction is cancelled,so why the taxiway and apron project is still on? After the completion of the taxiway and apron,it could accomodate A330.But due to the current situation,SBW folks will not see any A330s touching down!

Sorry for the words,as if it had offended some of you.

Sorry for the words,as if it had offended some of you.

Hey man, I don't think you offended anyone :D Dun worry lah, after all, maybe the SBW expansion works could be for A330 services during festive seasons or other peak periods.

I believe that the local MP didnt want to see Sibu lacking behind Miri..some more after Miri received the city status last year ..so theres lot of catching up game to do for Sibu...

thats why he came up with this idea in the first place...we'll see if the Federal goverment approve this project...cause i dont see the state goverment will fully fund this project IMO...

From what i've remembered from a local daily (Sunday Eastern Times,22/10),the new SBW terminal complex will be 2 times bigger than JHB terminal complex.

To cater for the folks from Fuzhou ;)

I believe that the local MP didnt want to see Sibu lacking behind Miri..some more after Miri received the city status last year ..so theres lot of catching up game to do for Sibu...

thats why he came up with this idea in the first place...we'll see if the Federal goverment approve this project...cause i dont see the state goverment will fully fund this project IMO...

Fairul,If i'm not mistaken,You've also involved in the expansion of SBW runway project,right?

To cater for the folks from Fuzhou ;)

I'm agree with your opinion,S V,as when i've arrived at SBW on 22/10,i saw on the arrival screen there was a charter flight from FOS on that night.Guess that the a/c from FOS is parked at gate 1 on that night :lol:

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

Fairul,If i'm not mistaken,You've also involved in the expansion of SBW runway project,right?

I'm agree with your opinion,S V,as when i've arrived at SBW on 22/10,i saw on the arrival screen there was a charter flight from FOS on that night.Guess that the a/c from FOS is parked at gate 1 on that night :lol:

i only involved in the Pavement condition assesment ( PCA ) for SBW runway last May...it was a requirement from MAB since AK wanted to deploy their A320's there...but then, we're doing all the PCA all over Malaysia now..:)

back to the topic...based on the renderings that i saw for the new SBW terminal....its different from KCH or MYY....the terminal looks like a swan if u see from the top...

Edited by Fairul

I'm agree with your opinion,S V,as when i've arrived at SBW on 22/10,i saw on the arrival screen there was a charter flight from FOS on that night.Guess that the a/c from FOS is parked at gate 1 on that night

Don't take me seriously ;) Tamizi, I was just being silly :) They are indeed too ambitious.

Don't take me seriously ;) Tamizi, I was just being silly :) They are indeed too ambitious.

Sorry for that,S V :) As now,the people of Sibu are hoping to gain city status as latest on year 2010.So right now it's a race for the 3rd city in Sarawak :)

Quote from BERNAMA:

October 21, 2006 11:35 AM

New Sibu Airport Terminal Building Will Be Different

SIBU, Oct 21 (Bernama) -- The proposed re- development plan for the Sibu Airport Terminal building, if approved, will give it a unique and captivating look, Deputy Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Robert Lau Hoi Chew said.

He said the conceptual design done by a local consortium would incorporate the shape of a white swan, which is the town symbol.

"We want it to be different from the world-famous KL International Airport forest concept or the recently renovated Kuching International Airport or the Miri or Bintulu airports which are all beautiful," he said.

The re-development proposal was expected to cost about RM88 million, he told reporters after witnessing the soft opening of the Durin Bridge at Durin, about 49km from here, last night.

Second Finance Minister/ Minister of Infrastructure Development and Urban Development Datuk Seri Wong Soon Koh officiated at the ceremony which was attended by about 1,000 people from the surrounding areas who had anxiously awaited its opening for the past seven years.

Lau said the town leaders were actively pursuing the plan with the federal government under the current Malaysia Plan and he was optimistic that it would be approved.

"We have succeeded in getting the federal government to extend the runway from its original length of 1,981m to 2,745m to enable the airport to handle aircraft up to and including the Airbus 330 operations. We believe it will be sympathetic to our need as usual," he added.

-- BERNAMA

from sibu.gov.my:

FUTURISTIC DESIGN FOR NEW AIRPORT TERMINAL

SIBU: THE new airport terminal here will have a futuristic design with lots of green and courtyards. Deputy Minister for Housing and LocalGovernment Daruk Robert Lau Hoi Chew said once completed, the terminal would be twice the size of the Johore Bahru Senai ...

SIBU: THE new airport terminal here will have a futuristic design with lots of green and courtyards. Deputy Minister for Housing and LocalGovernment Daruk Robert Lau Hoi Chew said once completed, the terminal would be twice the size of the Johore Bahru Senai Airport.

Speaking to reporters at the soft opening of the Durin Bridge Friday night, he said the terminal would be people's friendly and that the overall structure would resemble the statue of a swan. He said the Sibu BN Visionary Development Team had lobbied very hard for the project and would continue to do so until the project was fully realized..

"We have targeted the project to be implemented under the Ninth Malaysia Plan. We have estimated the cost to be about RM80 million. Works Minister Datuk Seri Samy Vellu had publicly announced the project will be built under the Ninth Malaysia Plan.

Datuk Affendi Norwawi has also announced a Federal allocation of RM35 million to start off the project," he added. Lau added that an artist's impression of the terminal was ready.

The runway extension of the Sibu Airport to allow Airbus landings was completed recently. - ET

yeah..clones are beautiful. :pardon: Thank God TPK & KLIA Consult not doing SBW.

Pix of the design here. (Thanks Fairul for the link :) )

"We want it to be different from the world-famous KL International Airport forest concept or the recently renovated Kuching International Airport or the Miri or Bintulu airports which are all beautiful," he said.

hehehe so they don't want it to look like KCH, KUL, MYY etc... but they don't mind it looking like LGK?? Especially the interior :) hehehe

:help:

If you come to Sibu during festival season and school holiday, you would agree that we do need a bigger terminal. The current check-in lounge is too small with only 10 check-in counters and is always crowded when there are two or more airplanes depart at the same time. This terminal was opened in 1994 and the passenger movement in SBW had reached 920,930 in 2005.

Edited by I. Wong

Quote from BERNAMA:

October 21, 2006 11:35 AM

New Sibu Airport Terminal Building Will Be Different

SIBU, Oct 21 (Bernama) -- The proposed re- development plan for the Sibu Airport Terminal building, if approved, will give it a unique and captivating look, Deputy Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Robert Lau Hoi Chew said.

He said the conceptual design done by a local consortium would incorporate the shape of a white swan, which is the town symbol.

The re-development proposal was expected to cost about RM88 million, he told reporters after witnessing the soft opening of the Durin Bridge at Durin, about 49km from here, last night.

Second Finance Minister/ Minister of Infrastructure Development and Urban Development Datuk Seri Wong Soon Koh officiated at the ceremony which was attended by about 1,000 people from the surrounding areas who had anxiously awaited its opening for the past seven years.

Lau said the town leaders were actively pursuing the plan with the federal government under the current Malaysia Plan and he was optimistic that it would be approved.

"We have succeeded in getting the federal government to extend the runway from its original length of 1,981m to 2,745m to enable the airport to handle aircraft up to and including the Airbus 330 operations. We believe it will be sympathetic to our need as usual," he added.

-- BERNAMA

from sibu.gov.my:

FUTURISTIC DESIGN FOR NEW AIRPORT TERMINAL

SIBU: THE new airport terminal here will have a futuristic design with lots of green and courtyards. Deputy Minister for Housing and LocalGovernment Daruk Robert Lau Hoi Chew said once completed, the terminal would be twice the size of the Johore Bahru Senai ...

SIBU: THE new airport terminal here will have a futuristic design with lots of green and courtyards. Deputy Minister for Housing and LocalGovernment Daruk Robert Lau Hoi Chew said once completed, the terminal would be twice the size of the Johore Bahru Senai Airport.

Speaking to reporters at the soft opening of the Durin Bridge Friday night, he said the terminal would be people's friendly and that the overall structure would resemble the statue of a swan. He said the Sibu BN Visionary Development Team had lobbied very hard for the project and would continue to do so until the project was fully realized..

"We have targeted the project to be implemented under the Ninth Malaysia Plan. We have estimated the cost to be about RM80 million. Works Minister Datuk Seri Samy Vellu had publicly announced the project will be built under the Ninth Malaysia Plan.

Datuk Affendi Norwawi has also announced a Federal allocation of RM35 million to start off the project," he added. Lau added that an artist's impression of the terminal was ready.

The runway extension of the Sibu Airport to allow Airbus landings was completed recently. - ET

yeah..clones are beautiful. :pardon: Thank God TPK & KLIA Consult not doing SBW.

Pix of the design here. (Thanks Fairul for the link :) )

Nick,Thanks a lot for the links!!! :yahoo:

wow..this is great news..i was just wondering..is MAB going to re-design or re-make all the airports in malaysia..and also when are they going to get started on Langkawi and Penang..

thanks..

wow..this is great news..i was just wondering..is MAB going to re-design or re-make all the airports in malaysia..and also when are they going to get started on Langkawi and Penang..

thanks..

LGK was one of the first to be renovated. The terminal there is really nice now! (or has been fo many years).. actually, I can't say for sure if it still nice, but I believe so :)

:ph34r: :ph34r: There are many rumours about WMKP.. but i'm not at liberty to divulge any further :ph34r: :ph34r:

LGK was one of the first to be renovated. The terminal there is really nice now! (or has been fo many years).. actually, I can't say for sure if it still nice, but I believe so :)

:ph34r: :ph34r: There are many rumours about WMKP.. but i'm not at liberty to divulge any further :ph34r: :ph34r:

What happen to the Melaka? SO much for 120M mega project ;)

What happen to the Melaka? SO much for 120M mega project ;)

You're right,Seth.Right now there's no news about Batu Berendam Airport expansion project...As one of the sarawakians saying,in iban 'Nadai Brita agi'...no more news bout it...

You're right,Seth.Right now there's no news about Batu Berendam Airport expansion project...As one of the sarawakians saying,in iban 'Nadai Brita agi'...no more news bout it...

we did the testing at WMKM early this year already....its part of the requirement for the runway expansion...

actually the site possesion by the contractor started July if im not mistaken....but i dont kow what happened...still no progress..

RM120 Million maybe went into someones deeeeeppp pockets and the Airport remains as it is.

Developing Melaka was a silly idea anyway.. especially given the proximity to KLIA. Bus travel between KLIA and Melaka would be cheaper and more efficient!

The airport needs to be expanded to attract more GA activities and to aid MFA to expand.

Edited by Sandeep G

RM120 Million maybe went into someones deeeeeppp pockets and the Airport remains as it is.

Developing Melaka was a silly idea anyway.. especially given the proximity to KLIA. Bus travel between KLIA and Melaka would be cheaper and more efficient!

The airport needs to be expanded to attract more GA activities and to aid MFA to expand.

Its a silly idea indeed. but they say AK will use Melaka as new hub to the sumatras (medan, pekanbaru etc)? .. perhaps after this we'll have ipoh for hub to india? kuantan as hub to indochina? LOL well. it's money spent... better spend it wisely.