MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Radzi

Ever see a cracked windshield?

This is how a cracked windshield of the 737 looks like.

IPB Image

Inflight.....

IPB Image

...and on the ground.

In this case the crack was caused by the malfunction of the heating element, located between the outer and inner panel of the windshield. It is the outer panel that was cracked.

Needless to say, the aircraft was grounded until repairs are made.

Captain.. this happened to your flight rite? It does look like its taken from captains seat... and captain in command is u hehe.. Not dangerouskah having windshield cracking like that at those FL? :help:

normally..how do u judge whether teh aircraft is stil flyable or not when u reached the CRZ att and it cracked?

are those birdstains on top of the crack?

looks like molten residues to me.

Luckily the pilot not panicked ...

Really scary and dangerous...

Guest Fendy

must be scary. brings back memories of the trident (?) incident where the captain was sucked out of the aircraft

cracked during flight, must be scary....

do you request for a lower FL after i cracks?

I guess it must have cracked in-flight. As soon as it cracked, what was the first reaction from you, Capt. Radzi (I guess)? Reduce speed? Descend to a safe altitude? Contact ATC for advice?

Glad the flight, shall I say, ended safely!

must be scary. brings back memories of the trident (?) incident where the captain was sucked out of the aircraft

That's why "fasten you seatbelt while you're not moving around..." :lol:

Oh, by the way, I can see the runway from the "inflight" photo! :yahoo: :yahoo: The F/O did the approach, and the capt. got to snap, snap, snap... That's for sure, huh, since it cracked on the capt. windshield...

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

As soon as the first crack was detected, we open up the QRH (quick reference handbook) and follow the checklist. We need to reduce the differential pressure to about 5 psi, so we descended to FL260 and increase the cabin pressure to 10000 ft. As the window heat for the affected window has to be turned off, we need to avoid icing condition as well.

The inflight photo was taken after all these were done. The colors are there because I used the polarizer; it was already attached to the lens earlier.

Dangerous? Not really, if you know what you're doing. Panicked? What is that? :rofl:

Answer to the topic, NeVer.. but now i'd seen one.Cool counter measure sir..Thanks 4 sharing capt.hehe.sempat lagi snap snap.

BTW if im not wrong the glass is around 7-9 layers of diff coating and thickness :lol:

Wow... from the EXIF.... first pix was taken just after 1pm and the one at the gate almost 3pm...

Wahhh... it's a long "stare" at those lines, eh, Capt??

Luckily "panic" is not in pilot's vocab... :D

BTW... was at 32L threshold that day with Pieter, but only till about 1pm

and came back to fetch him around 5pm....

So I missed your arrival in this "condition" :pardon:

Rego?... Maybe Pieter or Emperor or Chaity nailed you that day... :rolleyes:

As soon as the first crack was detected, we open up the QRH (quick reference handbook) and follow the checklist. We need to reduce the differential pressure to about 5 psi, so we descended to FL260 and increase the cabin pressure to 10000 ft. As the window heat for the affected window has to be turned off, we need to avoid icing condition as well.

The inflight photo was taken after all these were done. The colors are there because I used the polarizer; it was already attached to the lens earlier.

Dangerous? Not really, if you know what you're doing. Panicked? What is that? :rofl:

Capt Radzi, never seen one before in-flight :blink: but seen a few on ground(removed).. Kind of scary for the first timer.. :good:

Answer to the topic, NeVer.. but now i'd seen one.Cool counter measure sir..Thanks 4 sharing capt.hehe.sempat lagi snap snap.

BTW if im not wrong the glass is around 7-9 layers of diff coating and thickness :lol:

Some info

Emperor, Pieter, Yong and I were at 32L after our lunch in Cowboy town.

I have only 1 shot of this 734 from the side. Perhaps others have a front shot of this plane ?

Rego 9M-MQO arriving around 2:45PM.

IPB Image

Thanks Chaity, but I don't think the crack will be visible from the outside unless you look very closely.

An engineer once told me that the B747 windshield is made like a lens in such a way that what the Captain sees outside is exactly what the co-pilot sees and distortion is negligible.

Sign in to follow this