MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Azman MN

It's spring in ZRH!

nice comparison smart vs 747 engine.... imagine if the 747 engine running at full throttle... :D

nice comparison smart vs 747 engine.... imagine if the 747 engine running at full throttle... :D

The smart will fly!

Anyway, saw some new stuff:

IPB Image

and I didn't know Croatian is Star Alliance!

IPB Image

after 9am, rnwy 34 arrivals becomes 16 departures

IPB Image

IPB Image

and something really interesting this day. There were some 20 hardcore spotters who seem to have organized an airside tour. They were all wearing safety vests... look at them on the bus:

IPB Image

I think all their photographic equipment cost more than the bus itself...

the bus took them to the special place : "runway crossing" - see how close they get! :good: :blink:

IPB Image

IPB Image

the bus took them to the special place : "runway crossing" - see how close they get! :good: :blink:

IPB Image

IPB Image

That's really the power of Kloten airport, Azman, that 'runway crossing photo spot' :good:

Thanks for including the 'old and dirty' granma :rofl:

OU is a guest-airline in the Star-Alliance, I believe, and not a full member...

Excellent series of shots, again, keep them coming ;)

really looking like a star alliance hub in ZRH:

IPB Image

remember those old adverts "Swissair the most refreshing airline.."?

IPB Image

some panning shots of 28 departures... low light..

IPB Image

IPB Image

those SAS leaving... to all their hubs- Olso, Stockholm, and Copenhagen:

IPB Image

IPB Image

after 8.00pm, again a runway switch. Departures are to the north... runwy 34:

IPB Image

For Capt. Attan and his cousin Alonso:

IPB Image

and finally at 8.30pm, the springbok goes home... nice long summer evenings are back!

IPB Image

Azman,

Are spotting spots generally accessible to the average spotter with no transport?

Azman,

Are spotting spots generally accessible to the average spotter with no transport?

When your friendly local spotter is not in town, it should not be a problem.

From 6am... you go to the rooftop of carpark 3. All the heavies will arrive. Remember my shots of TK arriving in Heliconia? In the summer, it will be bright by 6am. 200mm lens is enough. :good:

Then from 8am, the observation deck will open, and you get those shots like the Spanair/ CO, and apron activities. That Macedonian I could not get a side-on shot because my 70mm-300mm is not wide enough :rolleyes: . Also lots of departures from from 9am onwards like the AA and Delta. 100mm is already enough. You can also see some departures from rnwy28 at that time, but for this you need at least 300mm.

At this time, from the obs deck, the only thing that you are missing would be the arrivals at runway 32. You can see the planes approaching but they then disappear into the forest...

You will see loads of departures until about 11am. Then there is a strange quiet break until noon, but you can have lunch at the burger joint or browse at the BuchAir shop.

From noon there will be again loads of heavies departing, but by this time, you will probably have taken the bus to the Dock E observation deck ... but traffic will get light after 2pm and EK will leave at 3.30pm to end the rush. From Dock E, planes will rotate in front of you from both runway 16 and 28. :good: . However, it is in the wrong spot in terms of sunlight. I think Dock E closes at about 4 pm anyway, and only after this it becomes a problem if you do not have transport because this is the time to catch arrivals at runway 32. ALternatively, you can still go to the cargo parking area (5 minute walk) to get closer to the runway 28 departures. However, seeing as you have been up since 6am, I think it is time to go and have a rest...

So actually, you can really spend the whole day in ZRH without needing transport. What people with transport would do is to switch to the Heligrill for the 12pm-3.30pm afternoon departures. The morning is best spent at the obs deck.

Another thing I should mention is that on weekends, there are airport tours which start at the obs deck. Best thing to do is book a ticket for noon when you arrive at the obs deck, spot until 11am, have early lunch, and then join the tour. You will be driven to the various parts of the airport in a bus, and will be let out to take pictures at the runway crossing! 10 minutes there is a huge wow!!

TK has figured out how to take a train to the Heligrill....

Thanks for the detailed explanations Azman.

It seems spotting in ZRH is practically free and easy ! :yahoo:

Yup... thanks for the spotting tip, Azman... :good:

As Chaity mentioned... it practically "free" :crazy:

we only need to pay for KUL-ZRH-KUL airfare only :vava:

For Azuddin & Seth

IPB Image

cool, thanks for the Continental shot Azman, Appreciate it.

Azuddin

Free spotting in ZRH....The Deck at terminal, you need to pay for tht.

Plus...since good friends are around, dont forget to bring Kicap :D

Azman, Kicap express will be in ZRH on the 18th-21st May.

I heard tht you'll be away during those times...

So i wil take over the Parking spot for Sat morning and Sunday Morning.

Bro..heavy shots you got there....Nice wx too. :clapping:

IPB Image

Waaah.. Same Style Like The Ah Moi's Capturing First MasKargo 744F landing in KLIA. I Luvv It :lol:

Azman Thank for shots Around the airport. Luvv it. COol Spotter Friendly Airport. :D

This My First Time see the CSA Aircraft.. Hahahahaha. More More. :)

Free spotting in ZRH....The Deck at terminal, you need to pay for tht.

Plus...since good friends are around, dont forget to bring Kicap :D

Azman, Kicap express will be in ZRH on the 18th-21st May.

I heard tht you'll be away during those times...

So i wil take over the Parking spot for Sat morning and Sunday Morning.

Bro..heavy shots you got there....Nice wx too. :clapping:

21st? Ha... could get lucky with my kicap after all. I am arriving from Mumbai on 20th early in the morning. Go home and say hello to the wife, probably need to sort out my "Delhi belly" and then see you in the afternoon maybe? Will confirm later this week.

and yes, not really "free":

entrance to obs deck : about RM6

bus to E deck: about RM24

Airport tour : about RM40.

Lunch at Obs deck: about RM 40 (burger, fries and drink). Alternatively, buy a sandwhich from the airport grocerie store at half the price.

For swiss earner, this is nothing.... compared to the parking fees - half a day parking at the airport... RM60!! But Heligrill parking is free. Plus after spotting :drinks: at the runway 34 restaurant are on me :D

Mucho gracias, Azman, for the Spanair shot. Excellent pics esp the CO shot. Zurich Kloten is certainly my dream airport.

The shuttle bus was taking people there for shots? :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

Hi Sneeze - yes, all those people there are spotters. I saw them just before they boarded the bus. The organizer, this guy called Ralf something (he works for the airport security) was giving out the yellow vests to everyone to wear. When I asked, he said that he did not have a spare vest for me and he needed to have my name in advanced to get clearance. I saw lots of Canon white lens and a couple of Nikon D200s and D2X too....

But if you are a casual visitor on weekends, there is an airport tour that goes around the airport and stops there and lets you out for about 10 minutes. I mentioned this in my earlier post.

Hi Sneeze - yes

It seems to be very nice to spotters as well as the photographer.

I don't think it is possible to see the chance of having such activities in HKIA. :(

It seems to be very nice to spotters as well as the photographer.

I don't think it is possible to see the chance of having such activities in HKIA. :(

They should make this to all major airports around da world :rofl:

There are various way to make money these days, look at the number of spotters+viewers at ZRH, sure it will be more at LAX :clapping: , EWR :D , LGA :yahoo: , HKG ;) , TPE B) , LHR :drinks: , KUL :good: , ATL :blink: ......................................

Nice shots Azman, I guess if I can do part time, I'll be ground handler for a week with camera! :rofl:

I love those icons :help:

They should make this to all major airports around da world :rofl:

Agree with Seth, however, those airports are more care about the "so call" securit more than earning such little $$$$$$. <_>

Yeah, a few weeks ago, it was like spring in ZRH. Now it seems that we are back in winter. Very cold. When is summer ever going to come....

Sorry guys, besides bad weather, have also been busy, so here are some backlog.

Took these with TK - we were driving to see rnwy 14 arrivals, then TK said that it seems windy, better check ATIS... sure enough, it was rnway 28 arrivals instead. This is cool, got good location from the multi-story carpark, but later on, the sun in the wrong position..

Apparently this is ex- MH 742...

IPB Image

IPB Image

OK-jet

IPB Image

embraer

IPB Image

swiss looking busy

IPB Image

and a couple of them leaving from rnway 34...

IPB Image

IPB Image

and this one called Hamburg International...

IPB Image

that's it for now... away from home the next 2 weeks... :pardon:

and this one called Hamburg International...

IPB Image

Excellent pictures again, Azman...this HHI is really nice: just look at the 'countering' of the x-wind with the left wing :rolleyes: