MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Craig

MAS New Route/Frequency Application

Vancouver and Mexico City? Whoa.. haha

If I recall correctly, Mexico City was a fifth freedom flight served from LAX & was cancelled after the US revoked MH's fifth freedom rights due to complaints by one of the US3.

MH also flew to Malé, Kolkata, Kochi, Ahmedabad, Brisbane, Darwin, Buenos Aires, Kunming, Chengdu (which MH plans to resume), Xi'an, Guilin, Yogyakarta, Vientiane and Krabi :). Man I feel super old today for remembering those destinations I saw on the KUL/SZB departure board!

Vancouver and Mexico City? Whoa.. haha

Correct. Routing was KUL-TPE-YVR and KUL-TPE-LAX-MEX.

Even Busan? Really? Wow!

Correct too. IIRC, the routing was KUL-SEL-PUS-KUL.

If I recall correctly, Mexico City was a fifth freedom flight served from LAX & was cancelled after the US revoked MH's fifth freedom rights due to complaints by one of the US3.

Incorrect lol. It was the Mexican authorities that revoked MH's fifth freedom rights. MH and US had very liberal air agreements back then (not open skies, but very liberal; US-MY open-skies was signed in 1997). Mexico suspended Malaysia's fifth freedom rights on 01JAN1997. US3 was maybe US10+ when MH served MEX (but also only 2 airlines from each country were allowed to serve a city pair, e.g. only 2 American and 2 Mexican carriers were able to serve LAX-MEX back then).

Edited by Craig

MH served Chengdu too? When and what was the flight number?

I know they were serving Kunming with those early leased six-abreast biz class 738s but cant recall Chengdu.

Unfortunately, these were unsustainable - they were done for political purposes.

But in those days, frequency was not so important. Routes can be flown only twice weekly. Also, one or more stop flights are not a problem.

Believe if MH had serve daily with smaller aircraft like 757/767, some of those legacy routes may have attracted high yield pax and profitable.

In those days, many of MNC pax (e.g. high yield) preferred SQ for more convenience schedule.

Correct. Routing was KUL-TPE-YVR

YVR-TPE-KUL is one of my most flown TPAC routes. Oh, if only... :D

I can see how it'd be a huge money loser though. Even SQ can't find a way to make YVR work.

Believe if MH had serve daily with smaller aircraft like 757/767, some of those legacy routes may have attracted high yield pax and profitable.

In those days, many of MNC pax (e.g. high yield) preferred SQ for more convenience schedule.

You don't just pile on the flights and wait for passengers to magically appear. Yes, there might be several business travellers who value daily flights, but to assume that the routes failed purely because of frequency and not introducing an entirely new aircraft family is a bit naive.

When SQ was struggling with 3 weekly SIN-BCN-GRU, what did they do? Hint: they didn't go daily and pray everything would work out.

I can see how it'd be a huge money loser though. Even SQ can't find a way to make YVR work.

You don't just pile on the flights and wait for passengers to magically appear. Yes, there might be several business travellers who value daily flights, but to assume that the routes failed purely because of frequency and not introducing an entirely new aircraft family is a bit naive.

When SQ was struggling with 3 weekly SIN-BCN-GRU, what did they do? Hint: they didn't go daily and pray everything would work out.

One thing for certain, MH business model was a failure.

MH served Chengdu too? When and what was the flight number?

I know they were serving Kunming with those early leased six-abreast biz class 738s but cant recall Chengdu.

CTU, flown by an A330 and axed during BTP1.

KUL-TPE-YVR only operated twice a week (Wednesdays and Fridays only) - does that work for you :p It's a daytime flight both east and westbound. IIRC, it was MH 98/99.

CA-SG/MY market is tiny. SQ pretty much relied on fifth freedom ICN-YVR to make the flight worked for them previously.

MH was the first airline in ASEAN to fly to all 6 continents! They flew to Buenos Aires and Mexico City waaay before any of the ME3 and definitely waaaay ahead of any regional rivals (ASEAN)..

They've flown to Zagreb, Stockholm, Munich, Manchester, Paris, Madrid, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Beirut, Vienna, Istanbul, Rome, Newark, LAX, Cairo, Brussels, Zurich over the years. Not all at the same time though...

No point dwelling on past success. Look at their state now. They need to do a lot more work to improve.

One thing for certain, MH business model was a failure.

There was no business model - Mahatir visits a country, then promises the host that they will have air links.

This command is then passed on to MH... So MH has to obey, even if it is against its business model. In the end, they just gave up!

Wonder if our current PM would suggest some new routes to MAB

LAX direct perhaps? Either the A350 or 787-9

Edited by David.W

Wonder if our current PM would suggest some new routes to MAB

LAX direct perhaps? Either the A350 or 787-9

As much as I would love a LAX-KUL nonstop, it wouldn't be happening in the near future. Nonstop flights on UA for LAX-SIN is yours for $380 USD! And if you are flying to KUL, the UA/NH JV covers it well - flights are frequently $400 USD or less. Then they have corporate contracts to fill up the premium cabin. Where is MH going to get the corporate contracts from?

I flew MH LAX-MEX in 1993.

SQ with the GRU- BCN route - not sure if they made the right decision to kill it. I must have flown at least 10 sectors and it was always almost full, even in F. The one thing that was not so good is that the plane leaves BCN a bit too early in the morning. If it left only 1 hour later, it would attract a lot more connecting passengers from the rest of Europe.

As much as I would love a LAX-KUL nonstop, it wouldn't be happening in the near future. Nonstop flights on UA for LAX-SIN is yours for $380 USD! And if you are flying to KUL, the UA/NH JV covers it well - flights are frequently $400 USD or less. Then they have corporate contracts to fill up the premium cabin. Where is MH going to get the corporate contracts from?

That's one way or return?

Return?! That's way cheaper than what I paid for last year on QR - and I thought that was already cheap!

Most international tickets aren't reversible (e.g. LAX-KUL fares aren't the same as KUL-LAX fares). Id love it to be - Id save a lot for my flights to EU or Cairo :p

Edited by Craig

Most international tickets aren't reversible (e.g. LAX-KUL fares aren't the same as KUL-LAX fares). Id love it to be - Id save a lot for my flights to EU or Cairo :p

Ah, that explains everything...

And here I'm already packing for a trip to America again :)

MAVCOM approved the following route applications from MH (April 2019):

KUL-PDG - 2.2 units (what is a "unit"?)

BKI-SDK - 7 weekly

KUL-KTJ - 3.3 units (where's KTJ? Google says Kenya :D)

KUL-LBU - 1 weekly

KUL-MYY - 2 weekly

KUL-PKU - 4.4 units

KUL-SOC - 4.4 units

KUL-BTU - 1 weekly

KUL-JHB - 2 weekly

KUL-KCH - 4 weekly

KUL-PEN - 4 weekly

KUL-SDK - 3 weekly

Other notable approved applications:

OD:

BKI-SDK - 14 weekly

SZB-XSP - 42 weekly!!!

AK:

KUL-CGK - 7 weekly

KUL-MNL - 7 weekly

KUL-PKU - 5 units

D7:
KUL-NGO - 4 weekly

More info here: MAVCOM April 2019 Air Traffic Rights

KUL-KTJ - 3.3 units (where's KTJ? Google says Kenya :D)

Per GCMAP, the nearest guess would be Gong Kedak in Kelantan (WMGK).

Maybe it is KJT - Kertajati International Airport the new airport built to replace Bandung's current Husein Sastranegara International Airport which is said to only handle domestic flights in the near future. Currently it's a huge white elephant with hardly any flights, so the talk is that all international flight may soon be forced to transfer there from BDO. With bad land connection, I would just fly to Jakarta and take a bus or train to Bandung as Damri already has transfers from CGK and the railway company is talking of starting some of the regular Argo Parahyangan trains from CGK to Bandung.

Maybe it is KJT - Kertajati International Airport the new airport built to replace Bandung's current Husein Sastranegara International Airport which is said to only handle domestic flights in the near future. Currently it's a huge white elephant with hardly any flights, so the talk is that all international flight may soon be forced to transfer there from BDO. With bad land connection, I would just fly to Jakarta and take a bus or train to Bandung as Damri already has transfers from CGK and the railway company is talking of starting some of the regular Argo Parahyangan trains from CGK to Bandung.

Been flying to BDO a few times, heard about "a new airport for Bandung" but never see anything within logical distance to the city. So where is this KJT?

KJT ... in the middle of nowhere, north east of Bandung. Almost as far from BDO as Jakarta is.

Found it. According to Google Maps, it takes about 2.5 hours to get to old BDO from the new airport. It takes a few minutes more to travel by road from CGK to BDO.

Edited by Radzi

Sign in to follow this