MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
kandiah k

World's Best Airports 2017

With ancient aerotrains constantly breaking down and dodgy toilet fittings, KUL deserves where it is.

.. and the annoying shops and kiosks blocking the way

Apparently, they did win an award for Best Airport Immigration Services

A joke - the queues for for foreigners has got worse over the past year. For several months last June-September queues of upto 3 hours were frequent.

A search twitter and you will soon see what Im talking about.

Edited by Robert

The management need to buy a new train for aerotrain services else the problem will not be solved.

The management need to buy a new train for aerotrain services else the problem will not be solved.

There was news by the MAB team some months ago to build an underground link between the MTB and the satellite and to discontinue the aerotrain but I am not sure how serious they are with that. The trouble with Malaysia is the maintenance. They have excellent ideas and plans but the maintenance is poor or abysmal at best.

The aerotrain is a disaster. Frequent breakdowns and when it works, the aircon doesn't work sometimes. And MAHB does a horrible job when that happens. Poor signs and communications to redirect passengers and insufficient buses.

The aircon in many parts of the satellite terminal is bad too, especially on the second floor.

General amenities like the toilets look old and is in dire need of an upgrade.

Immigration is horrible if you're a foreigner.

Baggage collection waiting times are horrendously long - probably one of the worst among major international airports anywhere in the world.

The arrival hall and pick up area remains a mess.

Airport staff are just hopelessly hopeless in basic English.

And here's a suggestion, forget the forest in the airport in the whatever crap. Nobody gives a hoot about it anymore anyway. Get rid of those trees in the centre of the satellite terminal. You'd free up a lot more space and make it look less cluttered.

KLIA/MAHB/MoT, please just buy a ticket to Singapore for a one night trip and for goodness sake, LEARN!

I don't even wanna start with the joke that is KLIA2.

And please, don't start comparing us with the likes of BKK, MNL, CGK, etc. Malaysian politicians hate being compared with the red dot. But the fact is, we are just a couple of hundred miles north of the world's best bar none. So suck it up and learn from them.

slightly off topic I have a couple of questions:

Were the check in / transfer desks in the customs arrival area ever used? seems a strange place to put them

The area on L3 above the old KLIA transit station seems a complete waste of space because everybody is crammed into the international arrival area. Wonder what they should do with it

I see that L2 of the carpark (block B) has been closed off. Any idea what the plans are for it. Now everybody has take a lift to L2 and a few weeks back the lifts were not working... sigh

The aerotrain is a disaster. Frequent breakdowns and when it works, the aircon doesn't work sometimes. And MAHB does a horrible job when that happens. Poor signs and communications to redirect passengers and insufficient buses.

The aircon in many parts of the satellite terminal is bad too, especially on the second floor.

Baggage collection waiting times are horrendously long - probably one of the worst among major international airports anywhere in the world.

And here's a suggestion, forget the forest in the airport in the whatever crap. Nobody gives a hoot about it anymore anyway. Get rid of those trees in the centre of the satellite terminal. You'd free up a lot more space and make it look less cluttered.

KLIA/MAHB/MoT, please just buy a ticket to Singapore for a one night trip and for goodness sake, LEARN!

And please, don't start comparing us with the likes of BKK, MNL, CGK, etc. Malaysian politicians hate being compared with the red dot. But the fact is, we are just a couple of hundred miles north of the world's best bar none. So suck it up and learn from them.

You hit the right nailSSS. Omg, KLIA is such a disgrace to be honest. The immigration officers were so rude to visitors on numerous occasion last year when I used it. Granted the visitors may not know English, at least try to find someone or ask local Malaysians to translate to them. They treated them like dirt. Please, these visitors, be it foreign labour or tourists are coming and bringing much needed money to local economy, so be kind to them. If you can't handle customer or not customer oriented, for Virgin Mary's sake, please find another job. Some of them are really jaguh kampung and should stay in jungle!

Really malu to always read "hospitable" Malaysians in our Tourism Malaysia advertisement.

Edited by JuliusWong

Granted the visitors may not know English, at least try to find someone or ask local Malaysians to translate to them.

My guess is they probably don't know English that well either. So you have 2 fellas staring and pointing at each other.

They need to do the important thing to compete with major airports or else KUL will continue left behind, just compare last year ranking and this year.. just my 2 cents.

i. horrible toilets (with no maintenance whatsoever at the parking lot toilet and potential crime scene)

ii. very2 long wait for baggage collection

iii waste of spaces especially the proposed retail spaces leading to anjung tinjau which had been vacant since the airport opened

one wonder how could this "gateway" to our country be in such dire state

Spot on! Agreed bro!

The Skytrax awards is good to knock some sense into MAHB. Otherwise you see them all over the airport and social media banging their chest like King Kong declaring how good they are in managing the airports in Malaysia

Actually toilets​ at satellite terminal were upgraded, the wall tiles are coated with some kind of paint or epoxy.

Yes - but I don't really find the "upgraded work" to be very aesthetically executed. One more thing - I often find the toilets to be wet and smelly ....

I am surprised KLIA is not further down the ranking.

Yes - but I don't really find the "upgraded work" to be very aesthetically executed. One more thing - I often find the toilets to be wet and smelly ....

Believe it is first of its kind (to me anyway); before this, I have never seen people apply coating over wall tiles.

Hence, my great respect and appreciation for the venerable uncles cleaning the male toilet in SIN. Ditto HKG. The ladies in BKK are a bit garang but do a fine job too.

The poor maintenance of KLIA is annoying. But the poor planning is even worse. There was a master plan when the airport was first built, and now it is just a mess.

The poor maintenance of KLIA is annoying. But the poor planning is even worse. There was a master plan when the airport was first built, and now it is just a mess.

Its no longer an airport - its a big shopping district development!

It is a positive development that the toilets are being refurbished. It is a good effort by MAHB. However, we so far hear a lot of complains about their cleanliness rather than their age.

We see old airports such as Don Muang, Taipei, Soekarno Hatta and Manila where their toilets are totally out of trend but they remain spotless and dry. It seems that their toilet workers treat the job with pride. They follow SOP and I believe they get proper and solid training and are being supervised constantly.

Refurbishment can create a better environment but it does not necessarily equate to cleanliness. My grave concern is that the new toilets will somehow get dirty even though they may require less maintenance and supervision.

The human touch is paramount here. Many times I see the toilet cleaners waste their time talking and standing by the entrance observing the activities outside. I hardly see their supervisors checking on them. Few times I tried to scare them off. "You apa buat??? Apa you tengok kat luar sana hah??!! Mau kerja atau tak mau kerja?? Tak mau kerja you pergi balik kampung! Nanti saya bagitahu you punya boss!!" I hope a fresh SOP and constant supervision will be undertaken very soon.

One positive development that I see too is the refurbishment of one of the car park floors. I think it is B2 where it is directly connected to the concourse. It looks bright and refreshing and I believe MAHB is in the process of refurbishing the whole car park terminal.

Have to understand that the change of head of state will affect the masterplan.

Have to understand that the change of head of state will affect the masterplan.

But isn't it a drastic change?

A huge amount of land was earmarked for the airport so that it can expand without being locked in like Subang. A lot of land is also allocated to host aerospace activities.

Now, all we hear about is building shopping districts and shopping malls. Not much is said about building even satellite terminal 2 or other aviation related developments.

Sign in to follow this