MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

MAB: Temporary Limitation on Checked In Baggage Allowance to LHR, AMS & CDG Imposed Then Retracted

I'm wondering if 'colleagues' at competitors (SQ, CX, TG etc etc) are in any danger of death by laughter yet ?! :D

The procedure's no different than if you're facing a weather related issue or technical issue. Again, it's reasonable to charge a fare difference if you choose to delay your flight by TWO WEEKS OR MORE.

If that is the attitude, then that is why MH is what it is today.

I'm wondering if 'colleagues' at competitors (SQ, CX, TG etc etc) are in any danger of death by laughter yet ?! :D

This would have been a great April fools joke, but MH's timing is a bit off.

This would have been a great April fools joke, but MH's timing is a bit off.

It did crossed my mind to rationalize that 'any publicity is good publicity', while trying to fathom why..oh why? But then MAB is not any botox-laden has-been celeb. Or it is?

The "passenger's entitled to everything and the kitchen sink" attitude is even worse. Passengers need to realize that airline operations are at the mercy of the surrounding situation.

The problem is that this was not an avoidable issue. Weather problems are wreaking havoc on their operations simply because they don't want to take any unnecessary risk of flying through a warzone. It's not like they're actually saving money flying the longer route. If they really wanted to screw the passengers they could have just cancelled the flight & leave them to their own arrangements. Saves them the cost of the flight even.

And it's not that they have not conceded anything - they've waived the change fee, which costs around RM 200 per ticket if I'm not mistaken. I don't think any other airline would do differently, so prove me wrong.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

The reasoning has made them look odd, its pure stupidity, said Shukor Yusof, founder of Endau Analytics, an aviation consultancy firm in Malaysia. Its ludicrous. Malaysia Airlines have been flying to Europe for decades. Over the last 30-40 years was there no bad weather?"

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-05/malaysia-air-bans-hold-bags-as-headwinds-leave-jets-short-of-gas

Usually, on kul-ams/cdg/fra, mh 772 could carry 8 tons under belly cargo. If fuel tank is not full, how far or long could 772 fly with 8 tons additional fuel?

If it looks and sound so ridiculous, and after the initial negative reaction; if we all pause and then think that they cant all be that ridiculous, maybe its time to think outside the box.

I say CM was forced to make the decision at gunpoint from someone higher up to stash something heavy and valuable

<conspiracy theory >

Edited by David.W

..... if we all pause and then think that they cant all be that ridiculous, maybe its time to think outside the box.

I guess someone already operating on same wavelength as you :)

It’s painfully clear that on the so-called Australasia-to-Europe “kangaroo route” MAS can’t provide a viable long-term alternative to the strong Qantas-and-Emirates collaboration on one side, and Singapore Airlines and its Star Alliance partners on the other.

Mueller has already decided to drop direct flights to Paris and Amsterdam, and agreed to a massive code-share deal with Emirates.

If the absurd checked baggage ban was his way of telling Malaysian politicians the flag carrier needs to beat a hasty retreat from unprofitable long-haul routes, then he might even have scored a coup. – Bloomberg, January 6, 2016.

snipped from: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/why-mas-can-ignore-pr-fiascos#sthash.Gyt2syxM.dpuf

I think if they can demand passengers cannot check in luggage to Europe (which is absurd and cruel and wow like are you f*king crazy?), surely they can demand only slim and sado cabin crew can work for them (which is acceptable). Anyway, I believe the cabin crews have been given enough time and warnings to lose weight.

Meanwhile, from another spy at the MH Rumour Department regarding the routing:

Company issued a notice to avoid Ukraine, Afghanistan and all the 'stans.

Go figure.

Meanwhile, from another spy at the MH Rumour Department regarding the routing:

Company issued a notice to avoid Ukraine, Afghanistan and all the 'stans.

Go figure.

Me think if the route is more northerly, may still pass by Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan along with Xinjiang, Tibet, Belarus and Russia. Don't think these places pose grave threat to high altitude commercial flights despite negative media reports on the localised geopolitical issues at some of these places.

Wow, without baggage, why is it so heavy? Extra fuel??

Yes, 123800 kg of fuel during takeoff. Too bad I didn't have the DOW (dry operating weight, which is the aircraft weight without fuel and pax/payload). In comparison in January 2014 KUL-FRA via Ukraine route requires 102700 kg of fuel loaded for the flight (data from a saved flight plan)

Partnership with EK now makes sense. One-stop journey is probably better. But more crews are needed, which then equals more costs.

Off-topic.

Whoever shared the loadsheet photo I shared here to other forums, please have them removed because I don't want to get in trouble with the company in these last few days with them.

Off-topic.

Whoever shared the loadsheet photo I shared here to other forums, please have them removed because I don't want to get in trouble with the company in these last few days with them.

That's true Captain, it is not worth the trouble at all. Not especially in the last few days of your contractual obligations.

I hope you do find another airline to hop onto soon, keeping the income flowing in, even if it means relocating to another country on the planet. It may not be lushy tropical green, beach and coconut anymore, but could be sand dunes and camels. Oh well, that's a life decision we all have to take. All the best to your ventures, Captain Radzi, and do keep us posted!

Edited by S V Choong

Sign in to follow this