Jump to content
MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, jahur said:

Only issue now it seems the songket wau coming in will probably overwrite the current scheme. Even though both are negaraku the wau logo's are very different so as the company name font styling. 

Perhaps the songket wau livery should only be used on factory fresh aircraft, i.e. the B737 Max and the A330 Neo. Secondhand A350s should have the same livery as the existing A350s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jahur said:

Negaraku is the standard.

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2022/09/831853/malaysia-airlines-high-patriotism-spirit-malaysia-flag-livery

 

The initiative to refresh the liveries coincides with airworthy maintenance and came during the Covid-19 pandemic when close to 80 per cent of aircraft were grounded due to the worldwide travel ban.

At the end of the programme to refresh the liveries, 58 of 76 aircraft would be decked in the liveries, Eke Nazri said.

 

Only issue now it seems the songket wau coming in will probably overwrite the current scheme. Even though both are negaraku the wau logo's are very different so as the company name font styling. 

Is the 737-8MAX and A330neo versions of the livery officially the new standard now? If it is, I hope we start seeing them on existing a/c. Or else we're going to end up with a very odd visual divide between the new and old planes. 9M-MAH for instance was painted with the older version of the livery despite coming online around the same time as 9M-MVA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, flee said:

Perhaps the songket wau livery should only be used on factory fresh aircraft, i.e. the B737 Max and the A330 Neo. Secondhand A350s should have the same livery as the existing A350s.

Very confusing branding in the long run. Multiple tail logo variations though again the airline always cannot commit into repainting the entire fleet within a year lol.

Lets see
2010 swoosh livery entry
2012 oneworld entry and wau edit + a380 exclusive paint scheme again took them very long to follow up the paint(never completed) standards on the entire fleet and the only commitment they seem to be doing is pasting the tiny oneworld sticker near the door on every aircraft.

2014 turmoil probably cause the mess in trying to rebrand.

2017ish special one off negaraku, a350 with different tail logo standards entry, weak commit to repaint most of the aircrafts to follow up the 2017 styling based on the a350.
2021 negaraku to be standard paint and thanks the pandemic it was easier to repaint most of the fleet.
2023 wau songket motif edit now to be standard updated negaraku for the 737max and a330neo meanwhile no indication if other aircrafts will follow.

Meanwhile Thai, Garuda and Singapore probably only tinker the corporate logo once every 15 years that also with very marginal changes.
 

Edited by jahur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jahur said:

Negaraku is the standard.

Thank you. I understand they want to be patriotic but it's a bit odd that they have so many non-standardized livery (worst was probably the A380 blue). The flag is a bit too in your face for my taste. I think the swoosh livery is simple and nice. If they really want to do Negaraku, maybe remove the crescent moon and star. I think just the red stripes and blue is fine. Or better yet, incorporate our indigenous art into their livery like what Qantas is doing (tail remains the same tho).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Craig said:

Thank you. I understand they want to be patriotic but it's a bit odd that they have so many non-standardized livery (worst was probably the A380 blue). The flag is a bit too in your face for my taste. I think the swoosh livery is simple and nice. If they really want to do Negaraku, maybe remove the crescent moon and star. I think just the red stripes and blue is fine. Or better yet, incorporate our indigenous art into their livery like what Qantas is doing (tail remains the same tho).

Do they recognize our indigenous art in Malaysia? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kandiah k said:

Do they recognize our indigenous art in Malaysia? 

Hopefully. There are a few of them at the National Art Gallery (Balai Seni Negara). Alaska Airlines incorporate their indigenous art on their planes too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have seen on several reports on FB groups regarding issues with the A350 J seats. It seems to be a long running issue whereby the seat airbags deflate rendering the seats extremely uncomfortable and unusable.  It seems that an emergency air mattress/seat cover can be inflated by the crew but isn’t a good work around.

My understanding is that the seats were an off the shelf product however I haven’t heard of such reports from other airlines.

Any idea what the cause of this is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robert said:

Have seen on several reports on FB groups regarding issues with the A350 J seats. It seems to be a long running issue whereby the seat airbags deflate rendering the seats extremely uncomfortable and unusable.  It seems that an emergency air mattress/seat cover can be inflated by the crew but isn’t a good work around.

My understanding is that the seats were an off the shelf product however I haven’t heard of such reports from other airlines.

Any idea what the cause of this is?

Deflating seats aren't uncommon. I've also heard of deflating issues on LX J which is from the same manufacturer. While not the same product, AC's 787 and 777 J is famous for having a deflating issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chris Tan said:

Deflating seats aren't uncommon. I've also heard of deflating issues on LX J which is from the same manufacturer. While not the same product, AC's 787 and 777 J is famous for having a deflating issue.

Thanks Chris. Looking at the reports of these on MH its really poor considering the amount of money you pay,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2023 at 8:53 AM, Craig said:

Thank you. I understand they want to be patriotic but it's a bit odd that they have so many non-standardized livery (worst was probably the A380 blue). The flag is a bit too in your face for my taste. I think the swoosh livery is simple and nice. If they really want to do Negaraku, maybe remove the crescent moon and star. I think just the red stripes and blue is fine. Or better yet, incorporate our indigenous art into their livery like what Qantas is doing (tail remains the same tho).

According to the Emblems and Names (Prevention of Improper Use) Act 1963, MAS should be prosecuted for they way national flag is displayed.

https://www.malaysia.gov.my/portal/content/138

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw maybe 4 or 5 wide body sitting in MH's hangar this morning. Seems like they are really short on aircraft. MH52 and 66 departed early this morning to KIX/ICN respectively where as MH 715 to DPS (A333) has been canceled for the past few days. MH 52 used the A333 from BOM (MH195) where as MH 66 used MH 140 from SYD.

And it appears that most India 737 arrivals are parked at the C gates now - are there short of available bays in the morning at the G/H gates or is it due to ease of beyond connections for India flights (mostly going to Australia and DPS)?

Edited by Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MH operations is still in shambles 🫠

MH149 to MEL diverted to CGK on 08DEC. 9M-MTO left for MEL late. Departed at 01:21, turned around in Timor Sea and arrived CGK at 04:57. Departed CGK at 07:39 and arrived back at KUL at 10:22. 10 hours flight to nowhere. MTO departed for TPE later at 14:12. 
 

And many other 737s and 330s delays. It seems like only 350s are reliable nowadays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2023 at 10:44 PM, Craig said:

I saw maybe 4 or 5 wide body sitting in MH's hangar this morning. Seems like they are really short on aircraft. MH52 and 66 departed early this morning to KIX/ICN respectively where as MH 715 to DPS (A333) has been canceled for the past few days. MH 52 used the A333 from BOM (MH195) where as MH 66 used MH 140 from SYD.

And it appears that most India 737 arrivals are parked at the C gates now - are there short of available bays in the morning at the G/H gates or is it due to ease of beyond connections for India flights (mostly going to Australia and DPS)?

The widebody you saw in the hangars: A330-300 9M-MTE and 9M-MTN, A330-200 9M-MTU and A350-900 9M-MAC. All four are down for scheduled maintenance. I don't think MH, like any airlines, would want to delay or cancel any flight given any chance. Given any day, SQ has also flight delay and retiming. Of course theirs are not as obvious since they have a huge fleet to play around to with (154 vs. 75). MH149 diversion could be technical fault or medical, something they do not want to or have predicted. 

Edited by JuliusWong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Craig said:

MH operations is still in shambles 🫠

MH149 to MEL diverted to CGK on 08DEC. 9M-MTO left for MEL late. Departed at 01:21, turned around in Timor Sea and arrived CGK at 04:57. Departed CGK at 07:39 and arrived back at KUL at 10:22. 10 hours flight to nowhere. MTO departed for TPE later at 14:12. 
 

And many other 737s and 330s delays. It seems like only 350s are reliable nowadays. 

seems that there a few delays yesterday. at 5am they made a small retime to MH606 however the aircraft used was pretty much onetime in its early secretors but was late leaving to Changi for some reason. Another go on FB was unhappy because the MH app was showing his BKK-KUL flight as ontime but upon arriving at the airport there was a significant delay or 3 hours plus which ended being 5 hours. He later found an email buried that announced a 3 hour retiming. As usual the MH it systems were not joined up!

The aircraft which was used for MH788/789 wasn't delayed more than an hour for prior sectors and the sat on the ground at KUL for >2.5 hours. Looks like the aircraft allocations were messed up because excluding the delays there was no way that the schedule was achievable.  There were reports that the departure boards at KLIA for MH Were showing a lot of delays/retimes.

Just another day with Delaysia Airlines!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One A330 in jeddah aog from hydraulic leak. Meanwhile MVD deployment delayed while MVB is geared in. I think it comes a time if they take new aircrafts they don't have sufficient amount of LAE and techs to clear them in ample time on top of them having to service other foreign and local clients in queue for MRO services on top of having to service MAG's own aircrafts.

All the mess stems from HR always shuffling and disposing valued staffs like replaceable toy figures and always boasting that they can always find fresh new blood to bully and all operational hiccups and complaints are acceptable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Robert said:

seems that there a few delays yesterday. at 5am they made a small retime to MH606 however the aircraft used was pretty much onetime in its early secretors but was late leaving to Changi for some reason. Another go on FB was unhappy because the MH app was showing his BKK-KUL flight as ontime but upon arriving at the airport there was a significant delay or 3 hours plus which ended being 5 hours. He later found an email buried that announced a 3 hour retiming. As usual the MH it systems were not joined up!

The aircraft which was used for MH788/789 wasn't delayed more than an hour for prior sectors and the sat on the ground at KUL for >2.5 hours. Looks like the aircraft allocations were messed up because excluding the delays there was no way that the schedule was achievable.  There were reports that the departure boards at KLIA for MH Were showing a lot of delays/retimes.

Just another day with Delaysia Airlines!

The early morning BKK flight yesterday was combined with the later flight in the morning and upgraded to A330-300 from I have gathered.

I have said this before 15 A330-300 for MH is really not sufficient, 25 should be just nice. MH should have arm-twisted Airbus to get more when they placed the order in 2009 since Airbus was on the tail-end on A330 order spree. Other major airlines were scrambling placing orders for B787.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

The early morning BKK flight yesterday was combined with the later flight in the morning and upgraded to A330-300 from I have gathered.

I have said this before 15 A330-300 for MH is really not sufficient, 25 should be just nice. MH should have arm-twisted Airbus to get more when they placed the order in 2009 since Airbus was on the tail-end on A330 order spree. Other major airlines were scrambling placing orders for B787.

The guy said it was a 737. Just looked at FR24 and didn't see any 333 swaps. Maybe I missed one of the flights though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

The early morning BKK flight yesterday was combined with the later flight in the morning and upgraded to A330-300 from I have gathered.

 

20 hours ago, Robert said:

The guy said it was a 737. Just looked at FR24 and didn't see any 333 swaps. Maybe I missed one of the flights though. 

It was all 737s to BKK on the 11th. None of the flights were combined on that day. 
 

There are a few times when the delay doesn’t really make sense. The plane is sitting on the ground. But an advanced delay is posted. It could be for connections but to delay 3-5 hours for connections seem odd for short and frequent flights to BKK/SIN. Or else it could be for crew 🌝

And like you mention, a few times where you already know that turnaround aircraft isn’t meant to be for a normal schedule. 

On 12/12/2023 at 10:35 AM, jahur said:

One A330 in jeddah aog from hydraulic leak.

So 5 wide-body on the ground including an unplanned MTN. 5 out of 28. That’s almost 18% of widebody AOG 🫠

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Craig said:

There are a few times when the delay doesn’t really make sense. The plane is sitting on the ground. But an advanced delay is posted. It could be for connections but to delay 3-5 hours for connections seem odd for short and frequent flights to BKK/SIN. Or else it could be for crew 🌝

And like you mention, a few times where you already know that turnaround aircraft isn’t meant to be for a normal schedule. 

So 5 wide-body on the ground including an unplanned MTN. 5 out of 28. That’s almost 18% of widebody AOG 🫠

Not mistake the drive was to get all planes at max utilisation rates with near unachievable turnaround(like lcc) except when there's mechanical or software issues pilling up with operating aircrafts that way they don't have the manpower to quickly rectify them. There was a rumor many weeks back that a few of the upper management team and BOD's were also caught up by the operational mess on their flights.  Not sure if action will be taken on the party that was responsible for ignoring the issue of many valuable staffs leaving rapidly this year.

Meanwhile

Malaysia Aviation Group adds 248 flights through to March 2024 to meet soaring travel demand

Quote

KUALA LUMPUR (Dec 11): Malaysia Aviation Group (MAG) added 248 flight frequencies to its domestic and international travel network through to March 2024, to meet soaring travel demand during the festive season, it said in a statement on Monday.

While load seems is good and profits are coming, i don't think the experience for customer is improving nor is the workload for the staffs. I've seen staffs from operations complaining they've been trying to get leaves approve only to be rejected for continuously for months meanwhile many are put on standby and stuck at home.

HR's Big brain so called Cadet avengers team for pilots and engineers are taking too long to come in(Sim and academy centre also on relocation phase which will impact workforce) meanwhile more experienced people are leaving for much greener pastures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jahur said:

Not mistake the drive was to get all planes at max utilisation rates with near unachievable turnaround(like lcc) except when there's mechanical or software issues pilling up with operating aircrafts that way they don't have the manpower to quickly rectify them. There was a rumor many weeks back that a few of the upper management team and BOD's were also caught up by the operational mess on their flights.  Not sure if action will be taken on the party that was responsible for ignoring the issue of many valuable staffs leaving rapidly this year.

Meanwhile

Malaysia Aviation Group adds 248 flights through to March 2024 to meet soaring travel demand

While load seems is good and profits are coming, i don't think the experience for customer is improving nor is the workload for the staffs. I've seen staffs from operations complaining they've been trying to get leaves approve only to be rejected for continuously for months meanwhile many are put on standby and stuck at home.

HR's Big brain so called Cadet avengers team for pilots and engineers are taking too long to come in(Sim and academy centre also on relocation phase which will impact workforce) meanwhile more experienced people are leaving for much greener pastures.

Maximizing aircraft utilisation is often unrealistic. PK was once known for its maximize utilisation and see it's current state. For reasons, qr, ek, sq, ey, ba, lh, etc don't aim for maximizing utilisation.

Pen-up demand of 2022 is unlikely to persist.

Was at golden lounge at kul satellite recently, buffet spread is comparable to local 3 star hotel.

Edited by KK Lee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2023 at 1:54 PM, jahur said:

Efforts to bring home stranded passengers in Mumbai still ongoing: MAS

9M-MTN gone aog since late nov 23rd. Saw some circular on twitter pax got fed up and quarrel only for the indian police to be dispatched over. 2 nights and no rebooking or rescue aircraft is slow.

9M-MTN was diverted to Mumbai due to engine failure on November 24, 2023

Quote

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/348519

Date:    Friday 24 November 2023
Time:    09:50 UTC
Type:    Airbus A330-323
Owner/operator:    Malaysia Airlines
Registration:    9M-MTN
MSN:    1470
Year of manufacture:    2013
Engine model:    Pratt & Whitney PW4168A
Fatalities:    Fatalities: 0 / Occupants:
Aircraft damage:    Unknown
Location:    W of Mumbai -    India
Phase:    En route
Nature:    Passenger - Scheduled
Departure airport:    Doha-Hamad International Airport (DOH/OTHH)
Destination airport:    Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KUL/WMKK)

Malaysia Airlines flight MH165, an Airbus A330-323, diverted to Mumbai Airport (BOM) after reportedly suffering an engine failure while en route from Doha (DOH) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL).
The flight landed safely at BOM at 10:24 UTC.

The aircraft was ferried to KUL on 29 November 2023.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, KK Lee said:

Maximizing aircraft utilisation is often unrealistic. PK was once known for its maximize utilisation and see it's current state. For reasons, qr, ek, sq, ey, ba, lh, etc don't aim for maximizing utilisation.

Pen-up demand of 2022 is unlikely to persist.

Was at golden lounge at kul satellite recently, buffet spread is comparable to local 3 star hotel.

One things that has often bothered me is how slow the ground crews are at turning the planes around at places like KLIA, Penang and Singapore. They seems to require the best part of an hour or more on a regular basis and then once loaded there is also another excuse (or no comms at all)  as to why the pushback hasn't started. 

Was reading a report that yesterday MH780 had two failed take offs and then retuned to gate. Anther aircraft was eventually found and the flight left 3.5 hours late. Sorry not sure what the number was and whether it's still AOG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jahur said:

Meanwhile

Malaysia Aviation Group adds 248 flights through to March 2024 to meet soaring travel demand

While load seems is good and profits are coming, i don't think the experience for customer is improving nor is the workload for the staffs.

 

I read. This is in addition to the Sendai and Sapporo-Chitose charters. It’s not a great combo with a few aircraft on the ground during one of the busiest travel periods of the year. I can’t imagine it being pleasant for both staff and pax. One is overworked and underpaid whilst the other is keeping their fingers cross for no delays. 
 

1 hour ago, Robert said:

One things that has often bothered me is how slow the ground crews are at turning the planes around at places like KLIA, Penang and Singapore[…]
 

Was reading a report that yesterday MH780 had two failed take offs and then retuned to gate. Anther aircraft was eventually found and the flight left 3.5 hours late. Sorry not sure what the number was and whether it's still AOG.

Not a problem if they turn around a bit slower than other stations but schedule has to reflect that. Sometimes MH schedules an overtly optimistic turnaround for their planes. 
 

And that’s one of the reasons I never take MH781 back from BKK. First it’s borderline close to the last train service from KUL. Any delays (which happens more often than not for MH780/781) will make me miss the last train. And secondly, MH781 has a terrible OTP.
 

MH 775 is my preferred evening option. Relatively on time and just in time before the CX lounge closes for the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...