MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

20 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

9M-MTN was diverted to Mumbai due to engine failure on November 24, 2023

It was due to loss of both electrical generators. 

1 hour ago, Robert said:

yes but when they have been retimed and then running more late it still takes an hour+ to turn the aircraft around. The perception is that everyone mistaking their own sweet time. I don't often fly AK or TR these days but they seem to be faster. 

I think AK has extended the "flight duration" so that its flights arrive "on time" by and large. I think their fleet operations IT system is doing a good job scheduling their aircraft. As most of their planes don't do 24 hour stints, extending the individual flight durations does not significantly impact the number of sectors the aircraft can do each day. Maybe MAG should invest more in their IT infrastructure to help with better operational planning.

1 hour ago, flee said:

I think AK has extended the "flight duration" so that its flights arrive "on time" by and large. I think their fleet operations IT system is doing a good job scheduling their aircraft. As most of their planes don't do 24 hour stints, extending the individual flight durations does not significantly impact the number of sectors the aircraft can do each day. Maybe MAG should invest more in their IT infrastructure to help with better operational planning.

The customer front end is buggy so I shudder to think what the back end is like haha

Seems like another day of cancelations and delays for MH just as the school holidays is about to begin. 2 BKK, 1 SGN, SIN, DPS flights already delayed before the day begin, a few canceled/severely delayed domestic (KBR, PEN, BKI, KCH)

21 hours ago, flee said:

I think AK has extended the "flight duration" so that its flights arrive "on time" by and large.

Schedule padding. Something MH lacks. Quite a few MH flights are scheduled for the most optimistic operations, perfect weather, crew on time, aircraft turned around without delays. 

This is MH problem… full government interference in the past and poor forward planning. Even VN has 787s!!! Come on lah. They should have replaced their 777s with long range aircraft such as the 787s or A350s. They just got rid of 13 777s without replacement!

They may not need as many long range aircraft due to their contraction but at least add more narrow body aircraft .. don’t replace like for like! They should have added a few more to allow for situations such as this

Edited by Izanee

17 hours ago, Izanee said:

This is MH problem… full government interference in the past and poor forward planning. Even VN has 787s!!! Come on lah. They should have replaced their 777s with long range aircraft such as the 787s or A350s. They just got rid of 13 777s without replacement!

They may not need as many long range aircraft due to their contraction but at least add more narrow body aircraft .. don’t replace like for like! They should have added a few more to allow for situations such as this

Mh top management and the board lack confidence and competency to plan beyond 5 years horizon.

Over the fast few days Im seen several reports on FB groups of missing bags on flights ex KUL to a variety of destinations.
Not sure if there are/have been issues or whether it's just a few exceptions.

I'm off to LHR in a few days so will make sure I have air tags in all my bags :)

29 minutes ago, Robert said:

Over the fast few days Im seen several reports on FB groups of missing bags on flights ex KUL to a variety of destinations.
Not sure if there are/have been issues or whether it's just a few exceptions.

I'm off to LHR in a few days so will make sure I have air tags in all my bags :)

And also a lot of posts in social media on damaged luggage after they flew with MH. Sure it was the ground crew issue but it affects MH image. I make it a point to plastic-wrap my luggage every time I fly. Better be safe than sorry.

Edited by JuliusWong

7 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

And also a lot of posts in social media on damaged luggage after they flew with MH. Sure it was the ground crew issue but it affect's MH image. I make it a point to plastic-wrap my luggage every time I fly. Better be safe than sorry.

I do wonder if some of it is due to people buying cheap crap luggage

Latest townhall has some staffs calling out the HR head(who was not present anyways lol) for the current manpower mess. It has been a repeated cycle.

1 minute ago, jahur said:

Latest townhall has some staffs calling out the HR head(who was not present anyways lol) for the current manpower mess. It has been a repeated cycle.

Oh yes, many employees hate that guy to their guts. Him still being at that role till today is a miracle, but then again MAG is a GLC, so nothing surprising.

4 minutes ago, Robert said:

I do wonder if some of it is due to people buying cheap crap luggage

Yes, that could be a factor too. Proliferation of luggage brands due to travel explosion right before COVID, so many cheap brands in the market. On the other side of the coin, checking in a Rimowa and expect it to come out spotless is definitely something LOL (no offense meant to all Rimowa users).

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Ever since the LHR meltdown of 2022, I've invested in air tags and made sure that all my check-ins have an air tag. It costs a pretty penny but gives you the peace of mind there is a high possibility knowing where your bag is when the airline shrugs at you.

MH uploaded their NS24 updates. Interesting network additions:

KUL-DPS: 332 operates selected flights on MH 850/851
KUL-HKG increase from 2x to 3x daily with the return of MH432/433 (1335 departure ex-KUL; 1835 departure ex-HKG). I was hoping they'd renumber this flight
KUL-MNL increase from 15x weekly to 21x weekly
KUL-MEL ex-SAS 350 to continue operating MH148/149
KUL-ICN increase from 7x to 12x weekly with the resumption of MH38/39 (1450 departure ex-KUL, 0010 departure ex-ICN). Reservations still unavailable for MH 38/39
KUL-HND reservations still not open
KUL-XMN tentative resumption but reservations aren't open (they suspended it in October?)

On 12/19/2023 at 7:26 AM, Craig said:

Ever since the LHR meltdown of 2022, I've invested in air tags and made sure that all my check-ins have an air tag. It costs a pretty penny but gives you the peace of mind there is a high possibility knowing where your bag is when the airline shrugs at you.

Had a fantastic flight to LHR. We were booked in J and they upgraded us to Suites at check in. The satay was very good, better some of the local stalls near me. The two crew looking after row 1 were exceptional, especially after my wife wasn't well during the latter stages of the flight. Luggage was out pretty fast which was a bonus.

What could have been better?
The catering messed up and changed a number of passengers chef on call meals to something random which most people didn't want.

2 hours ago, Robert said:

Had a fantastic flight to LHR. We were booked in J and they upgraded us to Suites at check in. The satay was very good, better some of the local stalls near me. The two crew looking after row 1 were exceptional, especially after my wife wasn't well during the latter stages of the flight. Luggage was out pretty fast which was a bonus.

Nice. Congrats on the op-up. Now the million dollar question - was Nescafe Gold served in Suites 🤣

2 hours ago, Craig said:

Nice. Congrats on the op-up. Now the million dollar question - was Nescafe Gold served in Suites 🤣

haha I dont drink coffee so no idea 

Malaysia Airlines today December 22, 2023 rolls out new uniform for male cabin crew. Subtle changes only. Lighter grey colour coat with double button and long pants. Brighter blue in the inside. Cutting and materials are different as well. Vest is still there.

9 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Malaysia Airlines today December 22, 2023 rolls out new uniform for male cabin crew. Subtle changes only. Lighter grey colour coat with double button and long pants. Brighter blue in the inside. Cutting and materials are different as well. Vest is still there.

3 piece suit is meant for formal event but mh service is more toward lcc level. scratching my head.

Malaysia Airlines flight MH53 KIX-KUL suffered a suspected engine failure yesterday December 23, 2023 and was diverted to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Aircraft involved A330-323 9M-MTH. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/mh53#33584cb9

Source

May be an image of aircraft

412297464_838525404949250_45790553765622

Last night MH52 KUL-KIX was heavily delayed. Was to depart at 10:40pm last night, but only departed today December 24, 2023 at 5:21am, arriving at KIX at 12:05pm, instead of 5:20am

With this incident, MH now has two A330-323s grounded 9M-MTH and 9M-MTN, during travel peak season. A330-223 9M-MTU and A350-900 9M-MAC remain grounded. Hope they will be back in service soon.

Edited by JuliusWong

It looks like MH's A330 fleet are now starting to be hangar queens. They have to consider easing their flight schedules to accommodate for the increased number of AOGs until they receive their Neos.

the A339s they are getting will be only for replacement. Expansion will not be possible I’m sure! If and when they want to expand further afield to Europe and US, they will be limited by lack of aircraft delivery slots!

such a shame .. would have been nice to see a few more A350s and some 787s!

Edited by Izanee

9 hours ago, Izanee said:

the A339s they are getting will be only for replacement. Expansion will not be possible I’m sure! If and when they want to expand further afield to Europe and US, they will be limited by lack of aircraft delivery slots!

such a shame .. would have been nice to see a few more A350s and some 787s!

SQ deploys A350s for heavy lifting and B787s for regional routes - MH is using the A339s for its current network and any expansion into Europe/US will need A350s. As such, we can probably assume that any new orders for A350s will be for those routes.

9 hours ago, Izanee said:

... such a shame .. would have been nice to see a few more A350s and some 787s!

If MH had at least maintained their fleet planning ideals of the glory yesteryears (019 era perhaps ?) they would likely have already signed up for A350-2000ERs and B787-11XLRs by the dozens each 😁

10 hours ago, Izanee said:

I think it was at CAPA meeting that the CEO said they are looking at adding another 10 wide body and 35 narrowbody to their fleet (in addition to the 20 339 and 6/7 359).  I can't find the news article but I forgot if it included increasing their proposed 359 count to 10 as well. So MAG will probably have 36-40 wide body by 2027-28, a nice increase from the current 28 today.

The 350s can be used for Europe expansion (*if* they have a fleet of 10) but I don't believe US will be in their radar in the near/medium term. US isn't exactly a place Malaysians frequently travel to. Same goes for Americans to Malaysia. CX, NH, SQ, PR, Taiwanese carriers, ME4 + TK have covered pretty well for MY-US/CA traffic. It's just really far for most Malaysians to travel to and we almost always stick to ANZ and Europe for our "western" countries holidays.

If anything, I'd rather MH return back to JNB/CPT. SQ is taking the bulk of Southeast/East Asia plus ANZ - Southern Africa traffic. Southern Africa is a route less traveled for most Asians, but you get a lot for your ringgit there. Think of it as Europe quality produce at Malaysian price :)