MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

1 hour ago, jahur said:

Overall from what i see SZB reconfiguration and redevelopment will not be for big operation like 30 narrowbody combined parking as what some people might've assume.

Yes, the road infrastructure around SZB is absolutely congested and WCT is looking to the govt. for financing the expansion of that. However, the govt. is pretty cool to it. KTM must come up with an at least 3X per hour SZB to Sentral non stop service on the train service if it is to become popular with pax. If these transport issues are not solved, I can't see SZB capable of becoming a super busy airport for regional traffic.

2 hours ago, jahur said:

Some of the airlines recent townhall plans regarding SZB operations in the future might shock quite a few. I dont think i can state it out here. It will probably a few months after when more direct announcements by proper channels have been made instead. 

Overall from what i see SZB reconfiguration and redevelopment will not be for big operation like 30 narrowbody combined parking as what some people might've assume.

So it's more of a LCY/HLP instead of a HND/SHA. Assuming SKS takes delivery all of its 10 E2s on order, there won't be much RON parking room left for AK/MH/FY/OD plus foreign carriers? I remember vaguely they announced that it was meant to accommodate jets up to 320/737 or has that now changed.

1 hour ago, flee said:

Yes, the road infrastructure around SZB is absolutely congested and WCT is looking to the govt. for financing the expansion of that. However, the govt. is pretty cool to it. KTM must come up with an at least 3X per hour SZB to Sentral non stop service on the train service if it is to become popular with pax. If these transport issues are not solved, I can't see SZB capable of becoming a super busy airport for regional traffic.

If anyone has been to Pavilion Damansara Heights recently, then they'd not want WCT as the contractor for SARP. The roads there are a mess and it's making traffic around that area worse and it's not even half ready yet. Subang Skypark line doesn't need to be nonstop. I think the previous stop at Subang station is great. It allows passengers to transfer to the Kelana Line or god forbid, someone transfers to KTM Komuter.

3 hours ago, jahur said:

Some of the airlines recent townhall plans regarding SZB operations in the future might shock quite a few. I dont think i can state it out here. It will probably a few months after when more direct announcements by proper channels have been made instead. 

I would be excited if non-stop flights from East Malaysia to SZB reinstated (by any airline) as an alternative to KUL. If that happens, can potentially saves us travellers extra MYRs on ground transport to KL.

42 minutes ago, Craig said:

So it's more of a LCY/HLP instead of a HND/SHA. Assuming SKS takes delivery all of its 10 E2s on order, there won't be much RON parking room left for AK/MH/FY/OD plus foreign carriers? I remember vaguely they announced that it was meant to accommodate jets up to 320/737 or has that now changed.

Something from MAG might be stirring up for SZB and its not something most would expect thats all i could say. It has something to do with probably 1/3 of the open ended 35 narrowbody order thingy(not included the 10 widebody which technically cant fit in szb) that the group plans to order. It is not going to be the 160-180 seater 737/320.

16 minutes ago, Alif A. F. said:

I would be excited if non-stop flights from East Malaysia to SZB reinstated (by any airline) as an alternative to KUL. If that happens, can potentially saves us travellers extra MYRs on ground transport to KL.

There will be domestic flights just don't expect it to be multi frequency nor cheaper tickets than going to KUL. I think Loke mentioned they envisioned SZB more towards the premium side and its main aim is to connect ASEAN.

Edited by jahur

49 minutes ago, jahur said:

Something from MAG might be stirring up for SZB and its not something most would expect thats all i could say. It has something to do with probably 1/3 of the open ended 35 narrowbody order thingy(not included the 10 widebody which technically cant fit in szb) that the group plans to order. It is not going to be the 160-180 seater 737/320.

There will be domestic flights just don't expect it to be multi frequency nor cheaper tickets than going to KUL. I think Loke mentioned they envisioned SZB more towards the premium side and its main aim is to connect ASEAN.

Even now, FY flights out of SZB cannot be considered to be cheap.

My guess is that MAG are probably looking at something with 100-130 seats with two class cabins -  a bit upmarket from the single class planes of FY.

52 minutes ago, jahur said:

I am not sure how is the prevailing pattern now, but pre-COVID there are plenty of government official and business-related travels between KUL and East Malaysia (esp. BKI and KCH), usually for meetings and to lesser extent conferences, seminars. Usually as a day trip or 2-3 nights. Make sense if the venue is at Putrajaya (nearer to KUL).  Otherwise, its just too time consuming to reach KL proper, if one is not keen on staying overnight.

2 hours ago, flee said:

Even now, FY flights out of SZB cannot be considered to be cheap.

It's the price people are willing to pay to not schlep all the way to KUL. A 15-20 minute car ride instead of a 45-60 minute car ride. If it works out for the SZB operators, good for them (just like how LCY>LHR>LGW>>STN price wise)

3 hours ago, jahur said:

Comac C919? 😂 Although that's getting into the 150 seater category. I am thinking maybe E2 or A220. Seems like that can be a good fit for SZB plus tertiary ASEAN cities ex-KUL so MH can build up their frequencies. The A220 even has range to fly KUL-CTS. I better not jinx it - otherwise we might see MH A220 flying KUL-CTS!

My parents are lucky! They were among the first passengers at the inaugural flight today. My dad's notable comment is - it smells plastic😁. There was no inaugural ceremony at the gate, and no commemorative gifts. Apart from the new aircraft announcement by the crew, it was just a typical flight. I guess, if the crews didn't announced it, the passengers most probably didn't notice they were in a new aircraft at all.

Edited by Alif A. F.

On 11/13/2023 at 1:39 PM, jahur said:

Am looking at the scheduling for the 737max it seems Manila, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh deferred with no commencement date.

Meanwhile KUL-BKI will be receiving 2x daily flight from nov 21st onwards and being upgraded to 3x daily from Dec 04 onwards.

KUL-MYY to have 1x daily from Dec 04 onwards as well.

KUL-KCH to only commence at Jan 04 2024 with 1x daily.

Its quite likely MAB will only receive 2 737max this year.

Good news! Apparently they will receive another three additional B737 MAX 8 next week.

Malaysia Airlines to get three more B737 MAX 8 next week, first unit delivered on Nov 16 [NSTTV]
By BILQIS BAHARI - November 20, 2023 @ 11:47am

SEPANG: Malaysia Airlines Bhd is expected to end the year with four Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft with another three arriving next week.

Malaysia Airlines' parent Malaysia Aviation Group (MAG) group managing director Datuk Captain Izham Ismail said the national carrier would be receiving another six B737 MAX 8 aircraft in 2024.

"We're getting another three (B737 MAX 8) this year and contractual is six (aircraft) next year," he said after the launch of MAG's first B737 MAX 8 aircraft at Hangar 5, MAB Engineering Complex here today.

The event was officiated by Transport Minister Anthony Loke Siew Fook, Malaysia Aviation Commission (Mavcom) chief operating officer Raja Azmi Raja Nazuddin and MAG chairman Tan Sri Wan Zulkiflee Wan Ariffin.

https://www.nst.com.my/business/corporate/2023/11/980249/malaysia-airlines-get-three-more-b737-max-8-next-week-first-unit

7 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Good news! Apparently they will receive another three additional B737 MAX 8 next week.

Only likely to get 1 more for this year or if extremely lucky 2. An aircraft out of assembly will usually take 1 month of trials and customer acceptance flight. So far 5 frames have registration booked but only 2 photographed outside with 1 already delivered yesterday. 

The person who wrote article must've misheard or got the older info during the event. From what i am seeing only MVD will be delivered without delays. 

Edited by jahur

SEPANG: Malaysia Airlines Bhd is expected to end the year with three Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft with another two arriving next week.....

The text in article has been edited, the headline is still glaring though 😁

1 hour ago, jahur said:

Only likely to get 1 more for this year or if extremely lucky 2. An aircraft out of assembly will usually take 1 month of trials and customer acceptance flight. So far 5 frames have registration booked but only 2 photographed outside with 1 already delivered yesterday. 

The person who wrote article must've misheard or got the older info during the event. From what i am seeing only MVD will be delivered without delays. 

Yes, I was thinking the same actually. Was googling for MVB and MVC photo, but couldn't find any, even those at the Boeing production site. Perhaps the reporters heard Izham said they WERE supposed to get FOUR this year, but due to recent grounding and rework only TWO will arrive this year.

53174235400_cdf7793a66_c.jpg

737-8 MAX, Malaysia Airlines, 9M-MVD (MSN 66354/8745) by ca350, on Flickr

8 hours ago, jahur said:

That was why I did not bother to get excited about that.

9M-MVD has undergone customer acceptance flights last week - so maybe the paperwork is now being completed. I don't see any frames listed on the production lists headed for MH yet. So I guess the other deliveries will only come in 2024.

On 11/21/2023 at 11:04 AM, JuliusWong said:

Yes, I was thinking the same actually. Was googling for MVB and MVC photo, but couldn't find any, even those at the Boeing production site. Perhaps the reporters heard Izham said they WERE supposed to get FOUR this year, but due to recent grounding and rework only TWO will arrive this year.

53174235400_cdf7793a66_c.jpg

737-8 MAX, Malaysia Airlines, 9M-MVD (MSN 66354/8745) by ca350, on Flickr

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks, but it really bothers me that on just one side of the plane, there are three different Waus.

1. The tail Wau, which is non-Italic (I think the retro Wau)

2. The winglet Wau, which is Italic (The present Wau)

3. The "Sustainable" something something Wau near the door, which is in the opposite direction of the other Waus,

3 hours ago, jani said:

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks, but it really bothers me that on just one side of the plane, there are three different Waus.

3. The "Sustainable" something something Wau near the door, which is in the opposite direction of the other Waus,

That should be sufficient to generate a fourth - "WOW" !! 😆

A small news update: New selections for the ‘Chef on Call’ inflight dining service coming soon!

4 hours ago, jani said:

Good observation. I think the winglet Wau has the same Wau as the tail's but without the songket. I don't understand why they only put the songket at tail but not the winglet, interior and printed materials. On printed materials and billboards, the Wau is heading towards the right. On the aircraft, it is heading towards the left. Therefore for the "Sustainable Tomorrow MAG" Wau follows the printed materials and billboards logo, heading towards the right.

The good thing is they have dropped their previous all blue logo on printed materials and billboards revert to previous red and blue logo, but you can still find the all blue logo throughout their website.

Malaysia Airlines first 737 Max 8 new livery unveil from PR for BT MAG

Malaysia Airlines Logo history

sustainability-vertical-logo.png

On a side note, on the new B737 MAX 8, Malaysia Airlines seems to revive its 1987's Malaysia Airlines logo with red widget on "m", "a" and "s" alphabets, but now it is in yellow colour.  Malaysia Airlines Logo 1987

N6067U Malaysia Airlines Boeing 737-8 MAX photographed at Seattle Boeing Field King County International (BFI / KBFI) by Nick Sheeder

Edited by JuliusWong

22 hours ago, jani said:

Viewing from the starboard side, all logos align correctly!

Who knew there'll be a BKK-KUL redeye tonight? MH 774/775 canceled and consolidated to MH 780/781 which resulted in MH 780 up gauged to 330 (9M-MTI). Departed at 20:10 instead of scheduled departure of 18:05 but returned to gate at 20:51. Left gate again at 23:18 and estimated to arrive BKK at 00:15. Return flight is expected to depart BKK at 01:15 (I highly doubt they can turnaround a 330 in 1 hour) and expected to arrive KUL at 04:30.

Incoming MH 781 is expected to turnaround as MH 164 to DOH with a delayed departure at 05:30 (highly unlikely). Pretty much anyone connecting at DOH for the 08:00-ish connection bank will be gone.

Edited by Craig

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

Who knew there'll be a BKK-KUL redeye tonight? MH 774/775 canceled and consolidated to MH 780/781 which resulted in MH 780 up gauged to 330 (9M-MTI). Departed at 20:10 instead of scheduled departure of 18:05 but returned to gate at 20:51. Left gate again at 23:18 and estimated to arrive BKK at 00:15. Return flight is expected to depart BKK at 01:15 (I highly doubt they can turnaround a 330 in 1 hour) and expected to arrive KUL at 04:30.

Possibly due the new retrojet 9M-MLV grounding at CMB. Last night MH178 was cancelled. As for the A330 returning to gate, not sure what happened there.

Seems like MH's HND rights expired per Mavcom's latest ATR bulletin along with 7 weekly A330 seats to BNE. MH 36 must not be working out for them (MH 37 or at least MH71 with similar timing seems fine).

MH 70/88 (both NRT flights) seems to be flown with A330 nowadays instead of A359. 9M-MAB has not flown since 11 September. Last flight was MH37 from HND. Anybody know what's going on with that frame?

18 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Possibly due the new retrojet 9M-MLV grounding at CMB. Last night MH178 was cancelled. As for the A330 returning to gate, not sure what happened there.

Don't they have 1 spare 738 with the delivery of 9M-MVA?

On 11/24/2023 at 6:35 PM, Craig said:

Don't they have 1 spare 738 with the delivery of 9M-MVA?

Yes, they do not have spare aircraft lying around at the moment. All B737-800NG (except 9M-MXI which is now under maintenance) are now flying four/six sectors daily. Although MXE, MXO and MXY have flown fewer sectors over the past one week. MXY has not flown since November 20, 2023, presumably also under maintenance.