MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

The delays continue:

MH123 to SYD, 7/11, 2+ hours
MH388 to PVG, 8/11, 3+ hours (still on ground)
MH164 to DOH, 8/11, 3+ hours (there goes all connections at DOH) and they are using the aircraft from MH140
MH133/145 to AKL, 7/11, 2-4 hours
MH172 to DEL, 7/11, 3 hours

42 minutes ago, Craig said:

The delays continue:

MH123 to SYD, 7/11, 2+ hours
MH388 to PVG, 8/11, 3+ hours (still on ground)
MH164 to DOH, 8/11, 3+ hours (there goes all connections at DOH) and they are using the aircraft from MH140
MH133/145 to AKL, 7/11, 2-4 hours
MH172 to DEL, 7/11, 3 hours

Shortage of aircraft and no spares(1 tinnsy tiny unalligned turnaround to collapse the the whole thing) and as of few months ago +shortage of engineers.

Up to nearly hundreds of engineers left this year from MAG. And you have the HR head always singing "who? dorang tak syukur? gaji dorang perlu tetap sama mcm ofis" each time someone argues about potential operational constraint from the lack of concern on manpower.

Edited by jahur

31 minutes ago, jahur said:

Up to nearly hundreds of engineers left this year from MAG. And you have the HR head always singing "who? dorang tak syukur? gaji dorang perlu tetap sama mcm ofis" each time someone argues about potential operational constraint from the lack of concern on manpower.

I wonder if HR ever ventures out to see that even 3k isn't enough to hire wait staff at some restaurants around KL. Hundreds of engineers leaving MAG is quite a big issue, no?

58 minutes ago, Craig said:

I wonder if HR ever ventures out to see that even 3k isn't enough to hire wait staff at some restaurants around KL. Hundreds of engineers leaving MAG is quite a big issue, no?

They've opened a new pool of LAE cadetship(via bank loans) only issue to resupply back manpower waiting for them would take years. Its the same issue plaguing pilots. This is not only happening at MAG but quite a number of airlines around the world such as SAS, air india, Qantas. HR have been viewing them as expandable overpaid noisy crowd that should at most be tied directly as an office manager that would eventually be replaced by A.I(which almost everyone else greatly disagrees upon) Any sound of safety regulation and cost and debt acquiring such rating and experties pinned onto the employee is seen as cost nuisance to revenue.

49 minutes ago, jahur said:

HR have been viewing them as expandable overpaid noisy crowd that should at most be tied directly as an office manager that would eventually be replaced by A.I(which almost everyone else greatly disagrees upon) 

I wonder if HR view themselves as expendables 🤣 But the cost to replace any entry level staff is usually 4-8 months salary and I imagine it's much higher for an engineer or pilot (12-24 months perhaps?). 

22 hours ago, jahur said:

Shortage of aircraft and no spares(1 tinnsy tiny unalligned turnaround to collapse the the whole thing) and as of few months ago +shortage of engineers.

Yes, this is the issue. Imagine a newly hired HR whose basic salary is RM3-4K higher than the engineers who have been working their heart out since MAS era now MAB...and spent all the times and money to attain the professional certification over the decades, and then HR turned around and say "you old man does not deserve RM8-10K a month salary". Of course engineers will say "Fish u, I am out of here!!". 

Now with Turkish Airlines, Riyadh Air, Saudia and Air India placing orders for hundreds of new aircraft recently, EK will be getting their new A350 next year, literally a dead sentence for MH. Can't wait to see when SIA Engineering opens at SZB, it will be fun. 

Anybody know how many 737's have the new cabin installed?

Unannounced aircraft swaps are getting annoying when you preselect seats, checkin confirms that everything is ok but the plane your board is different. Last night MH609 has this issue and on Tuesday MH610 had an aircraft swap but the check in staff in Singapore were able to resolve it for me. 

A few months ago they also did this and my wife and I ended up sitting separately owing to row 4 in J not existing in the new cabin. 

10 hours ago, Robert said:

A few months ago they also did this and my wife and I ended up sitting separately owing to row 4 in J not existing in the new cabin. 

I just avoid Row 1 and 4 (if it’s scheduled as 738) if possible. Reassigned is still acceptable. Downgrade is absolutely not. 

On a separate note, does anyone know why MH is only selling fully fare Y (maybe Y1/2) and mostly J for ATQ-KUL in February/March? KUL-ATQ has all booking class available. Is ATQ-KUL really selling that well?

Edited by Craig

12 hours ago, Robert said:

Anybody know how many 737's have the new cabin installed?

Unannounced aircraft swaps are getting annoying when you preselect seats, checkin confirms that everything is ok but the plane your board is different. Last night MH609 has this issue and on Tuesday MH610 had an aircraft swap but the check in staff in Singapore were able to resolve it for me. 

As of today, the following B737-800NG have been reconfigured to new seat configuration (12BC/162EY: 174 seats)

1. 9M-MLM
  2. 9M-MLN
  3. 9M-MLO
  4. 9M-MLS
  5. 9M-MLT
  6. 9M-MSA
  7. 9M-MSF
  8. 9M-MSE
  9. 9M-MSG
  10. 9M-MXD
  11. 9M-MXE
  12. 9M-MXF
  13. 9M-MXH
  14. 9M-MXK
  15. 9M-MXL
  16. 9M-MXN
  17. 9M-MXQ
  18. 9M-MXX
  19. 9M-MXV

They have  42 B737-800NG in their current fleet (including three leaving soon), they are halfway through the fleet refurbishment. Three B737-800NG (FFF, MLK, MLL) will leave for FY. FFF has been withdrawn from service since Oct 2023. 

Some internal photos show 9m-mah spotted already painted in Malaysia airlines negaraku livery in VCV but still on foreign registration as EI-HJZ. 

Since one of our ministers was at Boeing’s Seattle plant for a “lawatan sambil belajar”, do you think he asked Boeing what’s up with MH’s 7M8 deliveries? 😂

Edited by Craig

31 minutes ago, Craig said:

Since one of our ministers was at Boeing’s Seattle plant for a “lawatan sambil belajar”, do you think he asked Boeing what’s up with MH’s 7M8 deliveries? 😂

MVA is coming on Nov 16th with MVD 2-3 weeks after presumably.

9 hours ago, jahur said:

MVA is coming on Nov 16th with MVD 2-3 weeks after presumably.

Oh nice. Thank you for the info. Is MVD MH’s second 7M8? I am curious if they are skipping MVB/MVC. But they’ll have a MVP yeah? 😬

54 minutes ago, Craig said:

Oh nice. Thank you for the info. Is MVD MH’s second 7M8? I am curious if they are skipping MVB/MVC. But they’ll have a MVP yeah? 😬

Different airframes requires different rework, hence the delivery is not following the usual A to Z sequence. 

1 hour ago, Riza said:

I always thought this ex SK aircraft will do the DOH rotation. Its MEL instead 

Wouldn't it be better to deploy the aircraft to higher yield routes? Although secondhand, this aircraft is perhaps MHs best (and newest built A350) and I won't be surprised if it will also be used on the Japan routes after the initial deployment to MEL.

Am looking at the scheduling for the 737max it seems Manila, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh deferred with no commencement date.

Meanwhile KUL-BKI will be receiving 2x daily flight from nov 21st onwards and being upgraded to 3x daily from Dec 04 onwards.

KUL-MYY to have 1x daily from Dec 04 onwards as well.

KUL-KCH to only commence at Jan 04 2024 with 1x daily.

Its quite likely MAB will only receive 2 737max this year.

2 hours ago, jahur said:

Its quite likely MAB will only receive 2 737max this year.

You may be right. I was looking at the first flights for B737Max and only 9M-MVD (the second MH Max) has made its first flight. There were no other 9M reggos that took their first flights recently. 

https://aviation.flights/boe/737/66354

Edited by flee

On 11/10/2023 at 11:08 PM, JuliusWong said:

As of today, the following B737-800NG have been reconfigured to new seat configuration (12BC/162EY: 174 seats)

1. 9M-MLM
  2. 9M-MLN
  3. 9M-MLO
  4. 9M-MLS
  5. 9M-MLT
  6. 9M-MSA
  7. 9M-MSF
  8. 9M-MSE
  9. 9M-MSG
  10. 9M-MXD
  11. 9M-MXE
  12. 9M-MXF
  13. 9M-MXH
  14. 9M-MXK
  15. 9M-MXL
  16. 9M-MXN
  17. 9M-MXQ
  18. 9M-MXX
  19. 9M-MXV

They have  42 B737-800NG in their current fleet (including three leaving soon), they are halfway through the fleet refurbishment. Three B737-800NG (FFF, MLK, MLL) will leave for FY. FFF has been withdrawn from service since Oct 2023. 

JW, I thought -MXA has also undergone the interior refurb Bhai? 

9 hours ago, Tom/PER said:

JW, I thought -MXA has also undergone the interior refurb Bhai? 

MXA is still in the older interior, according to my insider's information.

21 hours ago, sweekee said:

Azul and HK airlines grounded a few A350,go go MH

Only these A350-941s remain in the marketplace:

1. MSN 124 (ex-Hong Kong Airlines B-LGA), currently with Azul, rumoured to be leaving, lessor  AerCap
  2. MSN 153 (ex-Hong Kong Airlines B-LGB), lessor AerCap
  3. MSN 168 (ex-Hong Kong Airlines B-LGC), currently with Azul, rumoured to be leaving, AerCap
  4. MSN 235 (ex-Hong Kong Airlines B-LGE), lessor ALAFCO
  5. MSN 246 (ex-Hainan Airlines B-308G), lessor JIC Leasing
  6. MSN 256 (ex-Hong Kong Airlines B-LGH), lessor ALAFCO
  7. MSN 391 (ex-SAS Scandinavian Airlines SE-RSC), lessor Fuyo General Lease (FGL)

Note that Thai Airways are also in the market for additional A350-941. So far, they have secured 5 out of 11 they are seeking for. If they are taking the above MSN 124, 153, 168, 235, 246, 256, it will fit in just nicely six airframes. All are configured in C33 Y301.

Thai's A350 fleet now has three different configurations and cabins: C32 Y289, C33 Y301 and C30 Y309. I am not sure if MH will want to add another configuration/ cabins to their A350 fleet.

At the same time SAS has just released SE-RSA MSN 358 from lease, which is now going to China Airlines. The latter is looking to add two A350s, therefore who will take up SE-RSC MSN 391 remains unknown for now.

Edited by JuliusWong