MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Penang wants airport named after P. Ramlee

No offence but P. Ramlee does not resonate among younger generations nowadays.. Later we will have airports named after Lee Chong Wei or Siti Nurhaliza, personally, I think just leave it as it is.

Personally if the Penang airport would be renamed....I will rather have it renamed as Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Penang International Airport but the name is too long and at times difficult for pilots to pronouce it correctly.......I believe LCE is better suited than P Ramlee........since LCE has done more for Penang

By the way, was the Penang state government wanted the name changed or merely suggested for such name changed?

And which party can gazette such name change? DCA, Minister, PM?

Edited by Azrin A

No offence but P. Ramlee does not resonate among younger generations nowadays.. Later we will have airports named after Lee Chong Wei or Siti Nurhaliza, personally, I think just leave it as it is.

so elsewhere in the world where the airport is named after a person, that person must be resonate among their today's younger generations?? your point is not relevant

By the way, was the Penang state government wanted the name changed or merely suggested for such name changed?

And which party can gazette such name change? DCA, Minister, PM?

i guess MAHB.

so elsewhere in the world where the airport is named after a person, that person must be resonate among their today's younger generations?? your point is not relevant

Just because its done elsewhere doesnt mean its a good idea.. I dont see any benefit of changing the name.. If its some arts center, by all means, but airport?.. Well penang int sounds good enough to me.

In Malaysia, virtually all airports are named after a Sultan, or after the place itself. I think this practice should not be changed.

On the same topic, do you know that many American Air Force bases are named after a person? What is the qualification to have a USAF base named after someone?

In Malaysia, virtually all airports are named after a Sultan, or after the place itself. I think this practice should not be changed.

On the same topic, do you know that many American Air Force bases are named after a person? What is the qualification to have a USAF base named after someone?

I believe for Edwards AFB they named it after Glen Edwards who died while testing a plane there.

Penang has no Sultan. So named after Lim Guan Eng? But he is still alive yet.

Penang has no Sultan. So named after Lim Guan Eng? But he is still alive yet.

Radzi has stated "or after the place itself". BTW, dont you guys think this is the time for us to have something new in our aviation industry?

just retain the original PENANG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT as the name symbolises the City, not the person from the City.

naming the airport after P.Ramlee does not mean anything.

Let Penang and its people to decide what is right or wrong. Its about the State wanting to honor its Rakyat.

Perhaps there are others who are also deserving as well, like the late Tan Sri Dato Lim CE, and the late Tan Sri Loh BS (Honda). Perhaps it is also a good call to just name it where it is located so that simpleton will be able to identify the place in an instance and without having to try to explain what or who the name is to visitors etc.

just retain the original PENANG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT as the name symbolises the City, not the person from the City.

naming the airport after P.Ramlee does not mean anything.

Penang International is not the original name of the airport. It was Bayan Lepas. And Penang is not a "city" but a STATE... poor you!

They should rename ISTANA BUDAYA to P.RAMLEE HALL... More suitable than airport

Istana Budaya is Istana Budaya.....

no relations with P Ramlee at all!

we already have Jalan P Ramlee in KL

and Auditorium P Ramlee at Angkasapuri

Perhaps you can check the history of Istana Budaya available at the building.

For and on behalf of Istana Budaya

:)

Penang International is not the original name of the airport. It was Bayan Lepas. And Penang is not a "city" but a STATE... poor you!

Well Dean, same goes with.....

What is the capital town of Selangor?

some of kids nowadays may say....Klang, or even PJ

Edited by affendi osman

you-me-they-all-everyone-worldwide knows where Penang is.. and ppl down south wouldn't even refer singapore city as singapore city, but just plain Singapore.

My point here is obvious, name the airport after the PLACE that is most likely to ring bells around the world.

Well Dean, same goes with.....

What is the capital town of Selangor?

some of kids nowadays may say....Klang, or even PJ

and yes i do know that Penang is a state, not a city. take the Singapore example above for example. tq

Why bother to name airport after notable figure? We have Jalan, Auditorium, sekolah and memorial named after P. Ramlee. And that should be sufficient.

I regret they don't retain the name of Bayan Lepas! Changi and Incheon are among popular locality and everyone understood it belong to Singapore and Seoul.

Why bother to name airport after notable figure? We have Jalan, Auditorium, sekolah and memorial named after P. Ramlee. And that should be sufficient.

I regret they don't retain the name of Bayan Lepas! Changi and Incheon are among popular locality and everyone understood it belong to Singapore and Seoul.

Patriotism flew together with time.....

You know why? That is the BIG differents between BN and the opposition party. 55 years of ruling our country,leaving us with NO IDENTITY and teaching us to do not appreciate someone who was not related with their party.

Arthur,

Are you aware of origin (one of them anyway) of term "Mat Salleh" ?

As in reference to 'white man' in general

Or are you alluding to the local warrior cum nasty villain (depends very much on which opposing perspective) of many years past ?

Arthur,

Are you aware of origin (one of them anyway) of term "Mat Salleh" ?

As in reference to 'white man' in general

Or are you alluding to the local warrior cum nasty villain (depends very much on which opposing perspective) of many years past ?

I'm also curious how the term mat salleh is used as reference to 'whitemen'. I am sure the local mat salleh, ie the local warrior, was not white in complexion..

Edited by Cheng Long

I'm also curious how the term mat salleh is used as reference to 'whitemen'

The version I have been fed - term is adulteration of 'mad sailor'

In reference to drunken seamen of colonial regime

Not overly flattering to the orang putehs (white men) I'm afraid :)

Sign in to follow this