MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Waiping

Russian passenger jet reported missing in Indonesia

Literally slammed onto the side of the mountain...

Yup looks very much like pilot error (controlled flight into terrain - CFIT).

Russian test pilots are known for their gung ho antics during demo flights!

Russian test pilots are known for their gung ho antics during demo flights!

flee, i thot you were the non-prejudicial type! :)

I've read a lot of comments saying this will be a setback for Sukhoi & the Superjet - but other planes had lost a prototype before & still flew on and be successful (namely the A330). I doubt the plane's reputation will be damaged badly.

My condolences to those involved. Just found out from my mom that her friend in Indonesia lost 3 of her acquaintances in the crash.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

I've read a lot of comments saying this will be a setback for Sukhoi & the Superjet - but other planes had lost a prototype before & still flew on and be successful (namely the A330). I doubt the plane's reputation will be damaged badly.

My condolences to those involved. Just found out from my mom that her friend in Indonesia lost 3 of her acquaintances in the crash.

I already know the verdict -- blame it on the dead pilots, as hinted by the Russian Deputy PM in Moscow.

flee, i thot you were the non-prejudicial type! :)

I actually saw the MiG 29 crash at the Paris Air Show... But when these pilots get it right, you can hear the crowds gasp in amazement! :)

Superjet 100 flew in low-traffic Indonesian airspace: DGCA

By: Mavis Toh Singapore

The Sukhoi Superjet 100 aircraft that crashed in Indonesia on 9 May 2012 was in the air space above Bogor as it is an area that does not normally have much traffic.

The aircraft was given permission to operate in Indonesia as part of its promotional plans, Indonesia's director general of civil aviation Herry Bakti said in a statement.

Sukhoi then chose to fly in Bogor, a mountainous area south of Jakarta, he added.

"The choice of flying in the area of Bogor is often carried out considering the lack of flights in the airspace. There are no scheduled flights that pass through the region, only charter flights," said Bakti.

Revealing more information about the incident, Bakti said radar contact with the aircraft was lost at 14:33 local time, 12 minutes after take off from Jakarta's Halim Perdana Kusuma Airport.

Just before contact was lost, the pilot had also requested for permission from air traffic control (ATC) to descend from 10,000 feet (3,048 metres) to 6,000 feet.

Bakti did not say why the request was made or whether the ATC acceded to the request.

He confirmed that the area was "cloudy" during the incident, but said that there should not be any speculation on the possible cause of the crash before the National Transportation Safety Committee issues its investigation report.

Neither the flight data recorder nor the cockpit voice recorder have been recovered, says Indonesia's Search and Rescue Agency (Barsanas).

Bakti said that the authorities will not interfere with the planned purchase of the SSJ100 by Indonesian carriers, although local media reports suggest that this has been suspended pending the investigation into the crash.

Indonesia's Kartika Airlines has ordered 30 Superjets while Sky Aviation has orders for 12.

The aircraft, with the serial number 95004 and tail number 97004, was on an Asian demonstration tour when the incident happened on 9 May.

Radar contact with the aircraft was lost shortly after and search helicopters located the wreckage of the aircraft on Mount Salak, about 5,797ft above sea level, more than 17 hours later.

Alenia and Sukhoi joint venture Superjet International confirmed that the aircraft had completed a full pre-flight check and reported no technical issues before taking off. The aircraft also did not report any failure before disappearing from radar contact.

Updated data from Sukhoi shows that there were 45 people on board the crashed aircraft. They include journalists, pilots and engineers from Sukhoi and officials from various Indonesian carriers.

"At this time, all our resources are devoted in assisting the authorities with the investigations, aimed at determining the cause of the accident," Sukhoi Civil Aircraft said in a statement on its website.

http://www.flightglo...ce-dgca-371704/

Edited by xtemujin

Another video of the SSJ-100 before it crashed. Some of the ppl shown died in the tragedy.

JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com — Komite Nasional Keselamatan Transportasi Rusia (KNKT Rusia) akhirnya menemukan kotak hitam atau black boxpesawat Sukhoi Superjet 100. Kotak hitam itu nantinya akan menjadi bahan investigasi tim gabungan Rusia-RI untuk meneliti penyebab jatuhnya pesawat Sukhoi saat demo terbang di Gunung Salak.

Hal ini diungkapkan Juru Bicara Basarnas, Gagah Prakoso, Sabtu (12/5/2012) di Bandara Halim Perdanakusuma, Jakarta. "Black box, informasi yang telah diterima, sudah ditemukan, baru saja," ujar Gagah.

Kotak hitam itu, lanjutnya, kini sudah diambil tim KNKT Rusia. "Sudah diambil tim KNKT Rusia. Selanjutnya saya tidak mengerti karena itu sudah menjadi wewenang KNKT," papar Gagah.

Namun, pernyataan berbeda justru disampaikan Kepala Basarnas, Marsekal Madya Daryatmo. "Black box sampai sekarang belum ditemukan. Kami masih fokus mencari korban," papar Daryatmo dalam jumpa pers di Bandara Halim Perdana Kusuma pada Sabtu sore.

Adapun kotak hitam adalah sekumpulan perangkat yang digunakan dalam bidang transportasi. Umumnya merujuk kepada perekam data penerbangan (flight data recorder atau FDR) dan perekam suara kokpit (cockpit voice recorder atau CVR) dalam pesawat terbang.

Fungsi dari kotak hitam sendiri adalah untuk merekam pembicaraan antara pilot dan pemandu lalu lintas udara atau air traffic control (ATC) serta untuk mengetahui tekanan udara dan kondisi cuaca selama penerbangan.

Walaupun dinamakan kotak hitam, sesungguhnya kotak tersebut tidak berwarna hitam, tetapi jingga (oranye). Hal ini dimaksudkan untuk memudahkan pencarian jika pesawat mengalami kecelakaan.

Penempatan kotak hitam ini dilakukan sedemikian rupa sehingga mudah ditemukan. Umumnya, terdapat dua unit kotak hitam yang diletakkan pada bagian depan pesawat dan bagian ekor pesawat, yang diyakini merupakan bagian yang utuh ditemukan.

Translate in English Using google translate..

JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com - Russian National Transportation Safety Committee (NTSCRussia) have finally found a black box or black box of Sukhoi Superjet 100 aircraft. The black box will be the subject of a joint investigation team of the Russian-RI to investigatethe cause of the crash when demo Sukhoi flying on Mount Salak.

This was disclosed Basarnas spokesman, dashing Carey, Saturday (5/12/2012) atHalim Perdanakusuma Airport, Jakarta. "Black box, the information has been received,have been found, a new course," said the gallant.

Black box, he continued, has now been taken NTSC Russian team. "It's taken NTSCRussian team. Further, I do not understand because it has the authority NTSC," said thegallant.

However, it is different statement submitted by the Head Basarnas, Marshal Daryatmo."Black box until now has not been found. We still focus on searching for survivors," saidDaryatmo a news conference at Halim Perdana Kusuma Airport on Saturday afternoon.

The black box is a set of devices used in transportation. Generally refers to the flight datarecorders (flight data recorder, or FDR) and cockpit voice recorder (CVR or cockpitvoice recorder) in aircraft.

Function of its own black box is to record a conversation between the pilot and guidetraffic or air traffic control (ATC) and to learn about air pressure and weather conditionsduring flight.

Although the so-called black box, the box is not really black, but orange (orange). It is intended to facilitate the search when the plane crashed.

The placement of the black box is done in such a way that is easy to find. Generally, there are two units of a black box placed in front of the plane and the tail, which is believed to be an integral part found.

http://nasional.kompas.com/read/2012/05/12/17142667/Kotak.Hitam.Sukhoi.Ditemukan

This is really odd news.

http://us.nasional.vivanews.com/news/read/313295-pilot-sukhoi-diduga-melompat-sebelum-tabrakan

"Pilot Sukhoi Ditemukan 5 Km dari Lokasi. Jasadnya ditemukan lima kilometer dari lokasi tabrakan. Di dekat jasad, ada parasut."

"Suskhoi's pilot found 5km from crash site. Next to the body, a parachute."

[To translate, use Google Translate and figure out yourself.]

How do a pilot jump out from a pressurized passenger jet? Seems illogical.

Pilot bail out using a parachute?? News getting weird by the days. Earlier there were news that the Sukhoi could have radio frequency interference due to someone on board switches on his/her mobile while in-flight.

Russian Jet Replaced Before Doomed Indonesia Flight

15/5/2012 15:19

The Sukhoi Superjet 100 that crashed into a mountain outside Jakarta, Indonesia, killing 45 people on May 9 was a replacement aircraft for one which had been withdrawn due to engine problems shortly before the flight, according to reports in the Russian media.

A Superjet 100 aircraft with the tail number 95005, which earlier performed demonstration flights in Kazakhstan and Pakistan as part of a six-country tour aimed at wooing potential buyers, was the one originally planned to be shown in Indonesia on May 9, the LifeNews television channel said on its website, quoting Alexander Tulyakov, deputy president of Russia’s United Aviation Corporation (UAC).

But an engine oil leak revealed during maintenance on May 6 forced the show organizers to replace the plane with another similar jet, with the tail number 95004, Tulyakov said, resulting in organizers having just a few hours to prepare the plane for the flight.

A spokesperson for the Sukhoi Corporation which designed the plane and is part of UAC confirmed that the plane was replaced, but would not name the reason.

All 45 people on board the Superjet 100 were killed when the plane slammed into a steep side of Mount Salak near Jakarta shortly after take-off on a a demonstration flight on May 9.

Russia's acting Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said last week that experts believe "human factor" was the most probable cause of the fatal crash, but UAC head Mikhail Pogosyan later said it was still premature to say if pilot error was to blame.

A search operation for the victims’ bodies continues despite difficult weather and terrain at the site of the crash, with the flight recorders of the Superjet 100 yet to be discovered. Indonesian aviation officials have said the investigation of the crash may take up to a year.

The jet is the first commercial plane to be designed and built in Russia since the fall of the Soviet Union two decades ago.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20120515/173463377.html

Somebody posted on FB that the terrain warning was OFF. I keep asking myself how come no terrain warning. Anyway the claim has yet to be confirmed.

I gave up following the Indo press on this matter - so much misinformation.

I think these stories are more reliable since there are pics, but you never know. :)

"CVR found, FDR still missing"

http://news.detik.com/read/2012/05/16/092227/1918129/10/black-box-yang-ditemukan-baru-vcr-fdr-masih-dicari?9911012

http://news.detik.com/read/2012/05/16/084759/1918101/10/black-box-buatan-manusia-ada-kemungkinan-error-dan-tidak-terbaca?9911012

[plug into Google Translate for your favourite language.]

wah.... handing over the found item looks like a big fanfare like event...

Somebody posted on FB that the terrain warning was OFF. I keep asking myself how come no terrain warning. Anyway the claim has yet to be confirmed.

GPWS or TAWS has to be switched off if the said pilot wanted to fly VFR and below MSA intentionally to avoid a continous nuisance warning. It is a common practice for a demo flight and no biggie about it.

:hi:

GPWS or TAWS has to be switched off if the said pilot wanted to fly VFR and below MSA intentionally to avoid a continous nuisance warning. It is a common practice for a demo flight and no biggie about it.

:hi:

Ya, forgotten about it. Guess they took it a tad too far.