MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Y. J. Foo

Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental

First quarter 2012? That's one year from now!

That is provided there is no more delays.

I think we will get a better idea of when the deliveries will be once Cargolux receive their B747-8F this year.

I agree, all of us keyboard warriors do not have the full facts to even attempt to make airline aircraft acquisition decisions!

Believe any keyboard warrior with training or experience in finance, accounting or business management is a better decision maker than most local politicians, whose wimp, fancy and personal interest often supersede GLC management recommendation.

Air China Agrees To Buy 5 Boeing 747-8 Planes; List Price $1.54 Bln

SHANGHAI (Dow Jones)--Chinese flag carrier Air China Ltd. (0753.HK) said Tuesday it signed an agreement with Boeing Co. (BA) to buy five 747-8 aircraft that will expand its fleet capacity by 6.6%.

Air China said in a statement the planes' combined list price is around US$1.54 billion, but it didn't disclose the actual purchase price. The company added that Boeing had granted it "significant price concessions."

The Chinese carrier said it expects to take delivery of the planes from 2014 to 2015.

-Wang Ming contributed to this article, Dow Jones Newswires; (86-21) 6120-1200; ming.wang@dowjones.com

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110307-714991.html

Edited by S V Choong

Is it purely political? But, A380 maybe too big for them.

Not really, as per article they are still open for A380. Airbus and Boeing (both EU and USA) are playing nice with China ever since China became economy superpower lately. CZ has A380 on order, I do think CA may order sometime in the future. :rolleyes:

Boeing Media Release:

Air China to become first Chinese customer for Boeing's newest jumbo jet

K65038_med.jpg

HONG KONG, March 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Boeing (NYSE: BA) and Air China today signed an agreement for the purchase of five 747-8 Intercontinental jetliners. Air China is the first Chinese carrier to contract the passenger version of the new, fuel-efficient 747-8.

The agreement requires Chinese government approval, at which time it will be posted to the Boeing Orders & Deliveries website.

"Air China has been operating 747s since the 1980s," said He Li, vice president of Air China. "The new, high capacity Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental will deliver exceptional economics and a great flying experience to our customers."

Air China, the flag carrier of the People's Republic of China, will use the airplanes to expand its international routes.

"The technologically advanced 747-8 Intercontinental will deliver improved operating economics, efficiency and environmental performance in support of Air China's continued growth," said Marlin Dailey, vice president of Sales & Marketing, Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "Air China has become one of the fastest growing airlines in the world and today is one of the world's largest carriers. We're proud to be part of their success and look forward to continuing our long and enduring partnership."

The new 747-8 Intercontinental carries 467 passengers in a three-class configuration. The airplane features a new wing design and an upgraded flight deck. The airplane interior incorporates features from the 787 Dreamliner including a new curved, upswept architecture that will give passengers a greater sense of space and comfort, while adding more room for personal belongings. The architecture will be accentuated by lighting technology that provides smooth transitions for a more restful flight.

Using 787-technology GEnx-2B engines, the airplane will be quieter, produce lower emissions and achieve better fuel economy than any competing jetliner. It also increases cargo volume by 26 percent.

Maybe they are for presidential (... and CPC top brass) travels?

Replacing the few 744s they are currently using in CA livery?

:pardon:

Edited by Andi C

With longer hump, it gives the illusion that this aircraft is not longer than its predecessor. Nice, but not as impressive as 787's first flight!

Boeing 747-8I completes first flight

The largest passenger aircraft in Boeing's 95-year history, the 747-8 Intercontinental, has completed it maiden sortie.

The aircraft - designated RC001 - departed from runway 34L at 9:59PST local time from Boeing's Everett, Washington, facility at Paine Field and landed at 14:25PST at nearby Boeing Field in Seattle, where the company's flight test operations are housed.

During the 4h and 26min flight, the aircraft reached an altitude of 6,096m (20,000ft) and a speed of 250kts (463km/h).

Painted in a bespoke red, orange, gray and white scheme, and powered by four General Electric GEnx-2B engines, the aircraft took to the sky under the control of 747 chief project pilot Capt. Mark Feuerstein and Capt. Paul Stemer.

The first flight of the 747-8I kicks off a 600h-long programme of test flights for the new 747, slated to seat 467 in three-classes. The first of two test aircraft, RC001 is fully instrumented and designed for flutter clearance, flight controls, ride quality, and stability and control evaluations.

A second dedicated test aircraft, RC021, which will be painted in airline launch customer Lufthansa's colours, will be tasked with testing the aircraft's interior, including the galleys, lavatories, smoke penetration and environmental control system.

The first flight caps a trio of maiden sorties for Boeing's commercial operation, making it the third since December 2009's 787 and February 2010's 747-8F's first flight. Boeing plans to deliver all three models before the year is out, the first time it has attempted three model certification campaigns simultaneously.

In contrast to the period leading up to the 747-8F's first flight when the cargo market had plummeted in the wake of the global economic crisis, the near-term economic outlook places the commercial aerospace industry at the beginning of its up-cycle. The US airframer has already taken orders for seven additional 747-8 aircraft in 2011, including two freighters from Korean Air Cargo and five passenger models from Air China.

Though industry leaders worry the larger 747's biggest competition comes from its own backyard.

"In a way, the 777-300ER, they compete a little bit with each other," says Steven Udvar-Hazy, CEO of Air Lease Corporation. "There's quite a bit of overlap and there's many airlines both in the Asia segment and Europe that have shifted their 747 flying to 777-300ERs and they can work with frequency, off-season, it's a little better match capacity-wise."

Though Boeing has moved to marketing the 747-8I as an aircraft in a low-risk niche beneath the 525-seat A380 and above the 365-seat 777-300ER or A340-600, a marketing tactic validated by both Lufthansa and Korean Air, each having purchased both the A380 and the 747-8I to span their large aircraft fleets.

Boeing's 747-8I features a super-critical wing design, expanded use of advanced composites, new engines, an updated flight deck, and lateral fly-by-wire controls of its outboard ailerons and spoilers as well as 12% more passengers over its processor, the 747-400ER. It has a 442,000kg (975,000lb) maximum take-off weight and a range of 14,800km (8,000nm).

At 76.3m (250ft), the -8I is the longest ever built in commercial aviation history, and will only be certified up to 605 passengers in a single-class configuration.

While the iconic design of the 747 features only a partial upper deck, the Airbus A380's complete upper deck allows it to seat up to 853 passengers, despite having an overall length 3.6m (11ft 10in) shorter than the -8I.

The 747-8 programme is running roughly two years behind the original schedule after the programme suffered significant resource starvation, multiple leadership changes, supply chain issues and design changes stemming from the freighter's flight tests.

At the time of its December 2006 launch order for the -8I, Lufthansa expected its first 386-seat aircraft in early 2010, with early 2012 slated for its introduction into revenue service.

Luxembourg-based Cargolux, is expected to take delivery of the 747-8 freighter due mid-year, pushed back from October 2009.

The first 747-8I is expected to be delivered to a completion centre for finishing as a business aircraft for the Kuwaiti Government before the end of 2011.

Boeing holds orders for 108 747-8s including 76 freighters and 33 Intercontinental passenger aircraft, a type due to enter service in late 2011. Pending the approval of the Chinese government, Boeing will add the additional 5 747-8Is from Air China to its backlog.

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/03/20/354560/boeing-747-8i-completes-first-flight.html

Nigeria's Arik Air was revealed as the previously unidentified customer for two Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental aircraft. It joins Korean Air and Lufthansa as airlines with the passenger version of the 747-8 on firm order. The order is valued at $635 million at list prices.

Boeing has sold 36 747-8Is including nine for VIP customers. In addition, Air China earlier this year announced its intention to order five 747-8Is (ATW Daily News, March 9).

Lagos-based Arik carried just over 1 million passengers in the 2011 first half. It operates 120 flights daily. It said it plans to use the 747-8Is on "key long-haul routes." It currently operates A340-500 flights from Lagos to both London Heathrow and New York JFK. According to the carrier, it has traffic rights to Johannesburg, Houston, Paris and Beijing.

http://atwonline.com/aircraft-engines-components/news/arik-air-orders-two-747-8is-1007

Nice to see a new airline ordering the 747-8Is

Any idea what airline made an order for the 15 747-8is in Paris air show?

Any idea if Thai, Cathay and China Airlines will be ordering this planes too? What abt the Middle Eastern airliners- Qatar, Emirates, Gulf Air?

The 15 booked at Paris Air Show was Hong Kong Airlines....

Thai and China Airlines may stand a chance. Gulf Air no. Qatar Airways no. Cathay maybe. Emirates freighter only.

Edited by JuliusWong

My favourite is the Airbus A340-300.

Very nice plane - quiet and comfortable. Does not take too long to board and customs and immigration on exit is less problematic as there are fewer pax on the flight.

Unfortunately the 747-8 had been overshadowed by the sales success of its smaller siblings and the hype of the 380s. It would have fitted very well to a lot of airlines' needs.

Operating the 380s would have needed a 777 or equivalent to supplement its operations... with the 747, some airlines could've done with a single airplane type instead of having

a few 380s and a few 777s. What more, some airlines also operate 747Fs.. the cost savings from operating a single type of aircraft would have been enormous.

Airlines couldn't have been able to recouped the additional costs of introducing a brand new aircraft type as compared to the lesser cost of introducing a derivative.

The 380s are also restricted by the number of airports it can go to, whereas the 747-8 can practically operate in any airport that the 747-4 currently operates.

Hope the 747-8 survives.. still thinks it looks far better than the dugongs and it carries with it a lot of nostalgia..

Edited by jit

Love B747, that's why if not Boeing, i'm not going but if not Airbus, i'll take a bus.. :D

Ah, if not mistaken there will be some Sukhoi Superjet for some Indonesian airlines on the way...:good: