MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Waiping

Fernandes: Illogical to move us to KKIA

15 years is enough for hospitals in KK to equip themselves with helipads.

Edited by Waiping

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2018/07/25/fernandes-incentives-given-to-all-airlines-not-just-airasia/

His remarks imply that AirAsia group deserves special treatment?

What is this?

He was addressing the original remarks made by MAHB that suggested Airasia got special incentives from KLIA. What he is saying was that the incentives were given to all airlines and not just Airasia.

AirAsia: Let us develop Terminal 2 at Kota Kinabalu airport

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2018/07/25/airasia-let-us-develop-terminal-2-at-kota-kinabalu-airport/

They should make T2 two levels - one for arrivals and one for departures. They should make it highly automated - like Changi T4. They need to enlarge the departure hall - maybe by 4 or 5 times the floor area. Then it can accomodate more pax.

Last time I was at KKIA it was complete chaos. Couldn't believe my eyes what was happening in such international gateway into one of most visited state/country in Malaysia. Imagine if you have multiple widebody arriving at same time..... Edited by JuliusWong

when you don't have enugh apron, havoc for planes especially during bad weather, when you settle the apron, the immigration counter is the bottleneck, done the immigration counter, then the carousel will be another bottleneck, when the terminal and apron is upgraded, the access road will be the bottleneck, once the access road is done, jalan tanjung aru will be the bottleneck.

If everything's done together then there will be no headache, but as a malaysian, we know how they execute things, one by one, so headache will be one by one.

I watched the Transport Minister in action in parliament this morning. He said they are looking at KKIA now because they want to expand it before it gets congested, like PEN.

I hope they would look into expanding the apron for more remote bays. Sometimes the problem with bki is there's limited place to park overnight aircrafts. Airports like SGN though the terminal is not big due to limited spacing there's adequate remote bays close to the terminal to park non essential traffic during peak period.

Do u think TF is thinking about parking aircraft? He wants to fly them 24 hours a day, if possible!

Do u think TF is thinking about parking aircraft? He wants to fly them 24 hours a day, if possible!

Easier said than done. Currently they can't even mount 24hrs service to KUL. The earliest being 5:30am to KUL, then last flight from KUL ETA 0025. Nothing in between.

Currently only the odd ones from Wuhan and Guangzhou. Not sure about the load but I've heard the Chinese prefers CZ due to timing.

Edited by Waiping

http://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/no-more-business-usual-airport-expansions-govt-review-financing-model-says-loke

In Malaysia, it is not normal for a single airline to operate an airport, Loke said. “There is no precedent for an airline company to operate an airport (here), but it is in other countries. So far, only AirAsia has expressed interest to operate the terminal. It is a major decision and implications that we have to study a new model,” he added. Loke said the government would have to sit down and talk to various stakeholders, including the Malaysian Aviation Commission (Mavcom), Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd and regulating bodies.
Time for airport management system overhaul in Malaysia?

They have average downtime of 5-6 hours but if there's no adequate parking where the hell are they gonna park the planes in 5-6 hours before the next flight? Edited by jahur

I watched the Transport Minister in action in parliament this morning. He said they are looking at KKIA now because they want to expand it before it gets congested, like PEN.

PEN is at reaching the limit earlier than KKIA due to political reason, the challenges faced by PEN will be tougher than KKIA had comparatively, PEN can afford an upgrade that can last for maybe another 5 to 6 years, that also limited to terminal expansion, no extra room available to PEN for now, if the tourism growth momentum is there then PEN will have another headache already. However the room for Sabah to grow in tourism is fairly larger than PEN. But the space available to grow also larger than PEN.

I hope they would look into expanding the apron for more remote bays. Sometimes the problem with bki is there's limited place to park overnight aircrafts. Airports like SGN though the terminal is not big due to limited spacing there's adequate remote bays close to the terminal to park non essential traffic during peak period.

yup, this is a good idea, actually it can be done with AirAsia as they prefers using their red lorry stairs rather than aerobridge (as they can perform dual exit embark disembark that get things done faster.). it is so funny that in PEN the aircraft is parked near to the aerobridge and the passenger are disembark via the red lorry staircase, and the passenger walking the stairs into the arrival hall.

yup, this is a good idea, actually it can be done with AirAsia as they prefers using their red lorry stairs rather than aerobridge (as they can perform dual exit embark disembark that get things done faster.). it is so funny that in PEN the aircraft is parked near to the aerobridge and the passenger are disembark via the red lorry staircase, and the passenger walking the stairs into the arrival hall.

Only to walk up the staircase to the arrival hall again.

In my humble opinion, there isn't much that beat ignominy of having to trudge down those red AK steps, walk up to the inactivated aerobridge, clamber up the 'service' stairs to said aerobridge, proceed into airport terminal and thereafter walk down stairs into arrival hall cum baggage reclaim station :)

The physical part of it I personally can (thankfully) manage still. But the absurdity of that exercise just so we (pax) collectively skimp on a ringgit or two each, irrespective of exposure to the elements (heat, rain etc) and physical challenges (old, infirmed, handicapped etc) - that takes some mental adaptation

Yes, stairs are good for u! I remember boarding an Air New Zealand flight from CHC-AKL and I boarded at the rear, via stairs.

Ak is using aero bridge outside the country. If mavcom is truly serving the public should mandate ak to use aero bridge for pax safety.

Ak is using aero bridge outside the country. If mavcom is truly serving the public should mandate ak to use aero bridge for pax safety.

AK keep on saying aerobridge is not a necessity, with aerobridge it incur higher airport tax thus make their fare no longer affordable. Excuse me sir, airport tax is paid by passenger, AK like to victimize airport tax as an element that making their airfare no longer low cost. that's AK.

They should also mandate the minimum pitch in Y to be 40 inches for pax health and safety.

MOT and MOF brokered an agreement with AirAsia and MAHB.

Expect announcement soon

https://www.instagram.com/p/BludMQqBN67/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=tefi63cf04r5

They should also mandate the minimum pitch in Y to be 40 inches for pax health and safety.

28" is the minimun set by FAA, followed by most of not all governing board across the world. AirAsia is 29" I think. Not that it is any better. Malaysia Airlines is 32 in Y if I'm not mistaken.

AirAsia is 29" I think. Not that it is any better. Malaysia Airlines is 32 in Y if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, Airasia is 29" and Airasia X is 32".

MAB B738 Y seats are 30" while Malindo's 737s are 32" in Y.

Yes, Airasia is 29" and Airasia X is 32".

MAB B738 Y seats are 30" while Malindo's 737s are 32" in Y.

Just wonder. Is the A320 narrower than the B737? I don't think so. Both aircraft seats 6 abreast. Having a narrower seat doesn't make sense, I think.

Edited by Radzi

I remember boarding an Air New Zealand flight from CHC-AKL and I boarded at the rear, via stairs.

Was the aircraft parked nearby a functioning but electively unutilised aerobridge ?

Was the aircraft parked nearby a functioning but electively unutilised aerobridge ?

Both the aerobridge and stairs were deployed. Since my seat was at the back, I elected to board via the less popular stairs rather than Q at the front.

If any of you remmeber Pan Am's former World Port terminal in KJFK, the building's roof was designed as overhanging structure, so the forward section of aircrafts parked under the shade thereby enabling passengers back then to disembark via stairs without worrying about weather. Why not reintroduce such design back again, if everyone is concern about getting wet due to aerobridges not used?😊

Just wonder. Is the A320 narrower than the B737? I don't think so. Both aircraft seats 6 abreast. Having a narrower seat doesn't make sense, I think.

The A320 is only marginally wider than the B737 - note wide enough to notice. AK's A320 seats are wider than D7's A330 seats, though.

Sign in to follow this