MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Waiping

Fernandes: Illogical to move us to KKIA

Agree. As I mentioned on numerous times KKIA T2 is not longer able to handle the amount of passengers. There is not enough immigration counter to handle even 1 fully loaded flights, and mind you the counters are usually manned. There is not enough boarding gate, there is not enough seat to accommodate all the waiting passengers, and there is no land to expand to.

Perhaps MAHB should start offering OD to park at T2 too just to squeeze AK out, or put the aircraft on hold until immigration already clear the earlier flight. Such ignorant!

Why are we so soft on this guy? Just close off the taxiway and dont provide scan machines and immigration at T2. Force them out. Anybody noticed how long the queue is during peak hours just to enter the boarding hall?

If I am not mistaken, Check-in Island E at T1 is already reserved solely for AK.

So, MAHB plans AK to park the latter's aircrafts from gate A6 onwards?

That means gates A11 to A13 will be reserved for MASwings?

Did TF or Aireen Omar ever set foot on T1 for survey or inspection and see for themselves whether they truly justify their concerns?

Hoping FlyMojo (I am hoping this airline will take off successfully) will make a move very soon and occupy the gates since AK not wishing to move...

Slide6.JPG

Source: http://albelurani.blogspot.com/2010/04/kiblat-di-kkia.html

Airasia is looking ahead - the next 5 years. They forecast that the present facilities will not meet their expansion needs.

Moving base is an expensive business. They need to be able to get some return on investment - this is something that is not coming from the move to klia2. As such, they don't want to have a second channel draining their resources in these challenging times of falling Malaysian Ringgit and political uncertainty.

Airasia is looking ahead - the next 5 years. They forecast that the present facilities will not meet their expansion needs.

Moving base is an expensive business. They need to be able to get some return on investment - this is something that is not coming from the move to klia2. As such, they don't want to have a second channel draining their resources in these challenging times of falling Malaysian Ringgit and political uncertainty.

Thanks for the insight!

As such, they don't want to have a second channel draining their resources in these challenging times of falling Malaysian Ringgit and political uncertainty.

Are you not keeping abreast of the falling Ringgit saga ? Apparently you have to be insane to not believe a weak Ringgit is so good for the country. Even the Chinese are deliberately devaluing their Yuan :lol:

Maybe MAHB is looking beyond the next 5 years ? For sure area around T1 offer greater scope for expansion needs than what is available nearby T2. Unless Tan Sri has eyes set on some very valuable and desirable real estate in vicinity :)

Are you not keeping abreast of the falling Ringgit saga ? Apparently you have to be insane to not believe a weak Ringgit is so good for the country. Even the Chinese are deliberately devaluing their Yuan :lol:

Am I missing something here? Did the Yuan devalue by 25% in the past year, like the RM?

Maybe MAHB is looking beyond the next 5 years ? For sure area around T1 offer greater scope for expansion needs than what is available nearby T2. Unless Tan Sri has eyes set on some very valuable and desirable real estate in vicinity :)

IIRC, one or two weeks ago, Airasia said that there were NO PLANS to redevelop the T2 LCCT. So if they move away from the LCCT, there is no prospect of having another LCCT in BKI. They have already declared that klia2 is NOT AN LCCT. It costs more to run operations there and they don't want a repeat of the saga.

Passengers might complain again if they have to pay KKIA T1 charges on top of doubled airport tax... ;)

There is still plenty of space available at T1. It won't be a problem for AK to introduce another 20 daily departures even after moving to T1.

There is still plenty of space available at T1. It won't be a problem for AK to introduce another 20 daily departures even after moving to T1.

T1 is not only serving AK. When other airlines (e.g. Malindo) expand, they will also need more facilities. When that happens, T1 will be overcrowded and MAHB has no plans to build anything else at BKI.

Look at what happened at LGK - Airasia announced that they will set up an international hub there more than 6 months ago but MAHB has been sleeping and not doing much to expedite that since the announcement.

We have already seen that Airasia Group airlines can grow explosively - just look at how much Thai Airasia has grown at DMK in the last 12 months.

Perhaps it is time for Airasia to progressively move its operations to elsewhere in ASEAN. I think that they will have a rather good opportunity to set up Airasia Singapore when they move to T4.

Airasia should go to places that allow them to set up a business that is profitable and with room to grow. If BKI does not want that, they should go elsewhere. Shareholders are getting impatient and questioning why the share price keeps going down - so the management has to do something to get more shareholder value...

You can take whatever TF said but dont take it seriously as it has no face value to begin with. Hub in LGK? Hub in MKZ was mooted years before. TF is very good at playing this game and people still foolishly believe in him. No doubt AK transformed aviation scene in this region but this does not give him the license to squeeze government and passengers alike by not wanting to move to KKIA terminal one.

Facilities are there, why refuse to move? Most importantly why is he holding MAHB responsible for anything extra thay they charge to passengers? Just like the absurd KLIA2 fee that has nothing to do with KLIA or MAHB at the first place.

And people buying it.

There is just no ample space left at T2(I've interned there a couple months and i've seen the AK dispatchers complaining about the potential hazards with space constraint issues on the A320 sharklets that are parked side by side each other) and complaining about sharing parking bays with Awan Inspirasi&Weststar helicopters during peak hours that it affects their on time departure and arrivals.

Unless MAHB could woo Sabah Air, Layang-Layang, Logistic Air and the Police air base hangars out and compensate them then it should not be a problem or relocating a school that is on the opposite side, then this expansion on T2 is possible. On another note the road to Tanjung Aru needs a revamp as the place is always jammed during peak hours and beach goers now already annoyed by the increase traffic in T2 plus constant development in the area is already worrying the locals.

Edited by jahur

There is just no ample space left at T2(I've interned there a couple months and i've seen the AK dispatchers complaining about the potential hazards with space constraint issues on the A320 sharklets that are parked side by side each other) and complaining about sharing parking bays with Awan Inspirasi&Weststar helicopters during peak hours that it affects their on time departure and arrivals.

Unless MAHB could woo Sabah Air, Layang-Layang, Logistic Air and the Police air base hangars out and compensate them then it should not be a problem or relocating a school that is on the opposite side, then this expansion on T2 is possible. On another note the road to Tanjung Aru needs a revamp as the place is always jammed during peak hours and beach goers now already annoyed by the increase traffic in T2 plus constant development in the area is already worrying the locals.

Better relocate the school somewhere else, I attended the school there for 6 years (Darjah 1-6) in 1990s. My teacher always briefly stop teaching whenever there were 'commercials' (airplanes take-off). Can't imagine the air traffic now, since the volume increase by wide margin.

MAHB already indicated that present MASKArgo hangar will be demolished to make way for expansion.

Quoting Alif, is there a master plan for WBKK from MAHB? I doubt there is one...

A lot of things in KK are planned only for the short term/short-medium term. The lack of planning is all reflected on our existing infrastructures in KK City, massive queues to and out of the city due to the increase in car ownership, exposed open space where more trees could be planted for shades etc etc. When a lot of developed countries are looking into 15-20 year plans we are still implementing 5 year plan for the country. I guess it's easier to have 'donations' with short term 5 year plan. These short plans become nice targets to benefit certain groups, and not for the benefit of the nation and her people.

This saga of AIrAsia not moving to T1 will no doubt continue, and I foresee AirAsia to remain in T2 for a considerable amount of time. Cost is sensitive to them, so they will rather stay in cattle class T2 than the costlier T1. If they want to develop their own terminal Sabah Gov has said they will need to talk to Federal about it. Lots of hot air and no action. And as I type this power is still not restored at work for more than an hour. Well done SESB.

Edited by Eddy Liew

Would TF willing to spill a dime to MAHB to compensate and woo them away to allow T2 to be expand, again by MAHB? :lol:

We talk about T1 might not be able to cater AirAsia Expansion service. Can somebody tell me how many new A320s AK recieved this past 8 months? And how many old a320 went out for lease/ sale?

Lets say they stay there at t2, how can they expand with the already constrained space? Dream about setting a new D7 base at BKI.

We talk about T1 might not be able to cater AirAsia Expansion service. Can somebody tell me how many new A320s AK recieved this past 8 months? And how many old a320 went out for lease/ sale?

Lets say they stay there at t2, how can they expand with the already constrained space? Dream about setting a new D7 base at BKI.

Excellent question!

In the past 12 months, Airasia has declined to expand in Malaysia because the business environment is not good here. Most of the A320 new deliveries were sent to DMK - as a result, Thai Airasia grew tremendously. Some deliveries were deferred and converted to A320NEOs.

D7 is no longer interested in BKI. They are doing good business in Thailand too. And their Indonesia JV is starting to come alive, after the setbacks caused by QZ8501.

It is such a shame that the Airasia Group's expansion plans are now sent over to Thailand and Indonesia. Its a bit like our car industry isn't it?

Yea yea... stay at T2. Like it fly it. Dont like it fly others. Simple rule. Yadaa yadaa... air asia is very good at selling lies...

Cheap fare...not cheap at all

Zero fare... not all destination not all seat

Their airfare are the lowest... not really

Fly from rm3... never ever you will fly at that fare ever...

Quoting Alif, is there a master plan for WBKK from MAHB? I doubt there is one...

A lot of things in KK are planned only for the short term/short-medium term. The lack of planning is all reflected on our existing infrastructures in KK City, massive queues to and out of the city due to the increase in car ownership, exposed open space where more trees could be planted for shades etc etc. When a lot of developed countries are looking into 15-20 year plans we are still implementing 5 year plan for the country. I guess it's easier to have 'donations' with short term 5 year plan. These short plans become nice targets to benefit certain groups, and not for the benefit of the nation and her people.

This saga of AIrAsia not moving to T1 will no doubt continue, and I foresee AirAsia to remain in T2 for a considerable amount of time. Cost is sensitive to them, so they will rather stay in cattle class T2 than the costlier T1. If they want to develop their own terminal Sabah Gov has said they will need to talk to Federal about it. Lots of hot air and no action. And as I type this power is still not restored at work for more than an hour. Well done SESB.

Actually, I posted a topic about KKIA masterplan back in December 2013 here. However, MAHB recently said that, "For future growth, there are some lands surrounding KKIA including the cargo area, so that we can cater. It will still take six years at the growth rate of five per cent to reach the 9 million capacity."

Kota Kinabalu is implementing its so-called 2020 Local Plan. Though, I still have doubt about how well this plan will address the next 5 years, given that DBKK and the state depends part of funding from federal for some high impact project.

Actually, I posted a topic about KKIA masterplan back in December 2013 here. However, MAHB recently said that, "For future growth, there are some lands surrounding KKIA including the cargo area, so that we can cater. It will still take six years at the growth rate of five per cent to reach the 9 million capacity."

Kota Kinabalu is implementing its so-called 2020 Local Plan. Though, I still have doubt about how well this plan will address the next 5 years, given that DBKK and the state depends part of funding from federal for some high impact project.

Land reclamation is an option.

Land reclamation is an option.

That has always been the norm, rather than 'option' for my kampong since whenever anyone cared to remember :)

Am I missing something here? Did the Yuan devalue by 25% in the past year, like the RM?

In case you missed it

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/bahasa/2015/08/11/orang-gila-saja-tak-faham-kebaikan-ringgit-jatuh/

:)

Point is, the Ringgit is so much further up (or down) along the 'devaluation' curve, hence we Malaysians are so much better off compared to the Chinese. What is that few %age drop vs USD they have achieved compared to the 25% you quoted :lol:

Edited by BC Tam

IIRC, one or two weeks ago, Airasia said that there were NO PLANS to redevelop the T2 LCCT. So if they move away from the LCCT, there is no prospect of having another LCCT in BKI. They have already declared that klia2 is NOT AN LCCT. It costs more to run operations there and they don't want a repeat of the saga.

Passengers might complain again if they have to pay KKIA T1 charges on top of doubled airport tax... ;)

Like I inferred earlier, which landlord will put money into renovation/upgrade of a property where they have already served eviction notice to the tenant ?

Take KLIA2 as a precedence, there will NOT be another LCCT in Malaysia

The prospective rewards of building the biggest & bestest far outweigh considerations for a single airline's purported desire for efficiency

Passengers will complain regardless, can't see it making a jot of difference - what is the alternative ? :)

Was Airasia Group properly consulted by MAHB for inputs during the design of KLIA2?

MAHB may have consulted AK but didn't mean they took AK view. If KLIA2 was designed from user and operator perspective, there won't be that many turns and change of elevation.

Excellent question!

In the past 12 months, Airasia has declined to expand in Malaysia because the business environment is not good here. Most of the A320 new deliveries were sent to DMK - as a result, Thai Airasia grew tremendously. Some deliveries were deferred and converted to A320NEOs.

D7 is no longer interested in BKI. They are doing good business in Thailand too. And their Indonesia JV is starting to come alive, after the setbacks caused by QZ8501.

It is such a shame that the Airasia Group's expansion plans are now sent over to Thailand and Indonesia. Its a bit like our car industry isn't it?

In the bolehland, putting the cart in front of the horse is quite a common order.

MAHB may have consulted AK but didn't mean they took AK view. If KLIA2 was designed from user and operator perspective, there won't be that many turns and change of elevation.

User = Airasia and pax?

Operator = MAHB?

Sign in to follow this