MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

AirAsia Skidded Off Runway in Kuching - 11 January 2011

actually seems ak/TF have very good relationships with the local media - as even in past 2 incidents with its then 733s overshooting the runway also have beraly mention in the press - and even this recent incident gets reported just once and no follow up news on ak n its plane n also not one but several pax who were treated for minor injuries.

A case of AK's advertising dollars over ruling editorial freedom?

Newspapers pretty much the world over don't write stories that will upset their paymasters!

Geoff

Newspapers pretty much the world over don't write stories that will upset their paymasters!

By inference, Qantas must be plenty stingey when it comes to newspaper ads :p

Actually I think we are overly sensitive to this type of news because of our passion with flying and planes. Over here is who's stabbing who, who's "sodomizing" who, who's jumping which wagon blah blah blah still grabs top spot in reader interest.

A case of AK's advertising dollars over ruling editorial freedom?

I suspect that in Malaysia, political masters will win over paymasters any day. The threat of the non-renewal of their printing permits is enough to send shudders down their spines! ;)

Lucky those political bozo's dont have any effects on internet forums such as Malaysianwings, we are still talking about it till now! :yahoo: Political Master and Paymaster my fooot, we rock! :good:

Remember the incident where MH's B734 9M-MMR snapped one of its landing gear minutes before push back also in KCH a few months back? The aircraft was repaired in KCH. Everything that is needed to fix it was flown into KCH.

I think we should expect the same for 9M-AHH as well.

Significant difference. The MH aircraft was almost static, so not difficult to fix. The A320 snapped aat speed.

Significant difference. The MH aircraft was almost static, so not difficult to fix. The A320 snapped aat speed.

and that incident caused MH aircraft suffered major structural damage that lower wing skin and main landing gear support beam were replaced and some damage to adjacent fuselage frames. i believe that AK 320 will have to change both its engine, its cowls and reversers, pylon has to be dropped for inspection, nose gear assy change, main gear assy removed for fuse bolt and wing spar inspection, fuselage belly skin change and some structural damage on section 11/12 frames and nose gear wheel well bulkhead. guess, the airbus team is already in KCH or maybe TF can get it fix by any ah chong pomen for a very low cost?? haha...

Its the pilot's call against the tower's recommendations that possibly caused the veering off of the aircraft?

There's no update yet on the outcome of the investigation (or will it be published?).

Hi Rashdan Radzi,

I am not an expert too, however, with my limited knowledge, I should be able to answer some of your Qs.

This is the reported weather at the time of accident:-

Generally, there are 2 factors will determine whether a capt of an aeroplane will continue to land or execute a miss-approach, 1) Surface wind condition and 2) Forward visibilty. Assuming other factors are constant (safe limit) like runway is clear, clearance was given, no windshear etc .......

Based on the reported weather, it was well within an A320 limit (max 32 kts cross wind) and Air Asia limited its capt to 30 kts only. The reported wind was almost calm.

The lowest forward visibilty is 5000 m = 5 km ........ That also within safe and legal limit for an instrument approach into KIA runway 25.

Therefore, based on the reported weather alone, it should be a safe and legal landing situation and any capt will continue the approach & land as briefed and planned.

What we do not know is the 'approach' (pre-landing process) process itself. Was the aircraft fully configured? Was the aircraft met all 'Stabilised Approach' criteria?

Generally, a safe landing is a result of a good approach.

Back to your 2nd Q, high speed approach and late in configuring the aircraft. I will answer later ........ Gotta go now ;)

:hi:

please do not jump to conclusions before the report is out,dont based on youre armchair experience or speculation before those poor crewmembers has a chance to defend themselves.If you dont have the data youre in no position to judge them.be professional about it.They were configured early,on speed and stabilized for the app,its a matter of wrong place at the wrong time.besides app into KCh in bad weather is pretty hazardous,just ask any jet bloke who has flown into KCH in weather and he will give you varying type of answers

please do not jump to conclusions before the report is out,dont based on youre armchair experience or speculation before those poor crewmembers has a chance to defend themselves.If you dont have the data youre in no position to judge them.be professional about it.They were configured early,on speed and stabilized for the app,its a matter of wrong place at the wrong time.besides app into KCh in bad weather is pretty hazardous,just ask any jet bloke who has flown into KCH in weather and he will give you varying type of answers

Stryker

Is your statement "They were configured early,on speed and stabilized for the app....." fact or speculation?

If fact what's your source?

Geoff

Stryker

Is your statement "They were configured early,on speed and stabilized for the app....." fact or speculation?

If fact what's your source?

Geoff

sorry cant reveal source of information,still ongoing investigation.suffice to say aquaplanning is a big possibility.Vapp was Vls+5,flare at 20 ft RA,touch down was 1.27G.wind was crosswind,speed increased exponentially within a few seconds prior to and during the flare.

Hi stryker,

I am not accusing the crewmember or anyone for what had happened but giving a statement as what other commander of an aircraft would do with that kind of weather and at no time I wrote it was an "unstabilised approach".

Whether armchair or not is for you to judge .... However, SAFE & LEGAL are objective but airmanships is SUBJECTIVE........ certainly it was thought during line training for both occupants left and right seats.

Cheers

Some pointers and details of the aircraft's condition, and the KCH surrounding situation does reveal some possibilities on how the AK could have veered off the runway. Yup, possibilities is the word here. As more and more feedbacks from veteran pilots out there, that possibilities kinda narrow down to a lesser figure.

Nevertheless, the fact is that no one wants to risk their lives or of that they are responsible here. Let the folks do their job to further narrow down the possibilities and find the most likely cause of this incident.

Hi stryker,

I am not accusing the crewmember or anyone for what had happened but giving a statement as what other commander of an aircraft would do with that kind of weather and at no time I wrote it was an "unstabilised approach".

Whether armchair or not is for you to judge .... However, SAFE & LEGAL are objective but airmanships is SUBJECTIVE........ certainly it was thought during line training for both occupants left and right seats.

Cheers

Hi to you too and to all others.Im sure its in everyone interest to know what really happen on that flight.I apologize to anyone if some remarks were made off the cuffs.No sane pilot will want to kill him or herself.

Also both crew members very experience both in flying(A320) and with the company.During the said incident,there a was a flight of 3 A320s in trail ,shooting the app,with the said flight out infront.Viz was good,all three airplanes were radr vectored for an app into Rwy 25 IKG KCH.

will continue soon.

In Malay newspaper - Harian Metro..

AirAsia beri amaran pada penyebar fitnah

KUALA LUMPUR: AirAsia hari ini menasihati orang ramai supaya tidak mempedulikan pesanan khianat yang tersebar melalui Twitter, Facebook atau SMS dengan dakwaan palsu bahawa penerbangan AK5154 atau AK5145 terhempas di Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa Kuching atau KLIA pada Ahad.

"Kami telah melaporkan penyebaran pesanan pada polis dan Suruhanjaya Komunikasi dan Multimedia Malaysia (SKMM) kerana ia telah menimbulkan perasaan cemas di kalangan orang ramai serta gangguan kepada operasi kami," katanya.

AirAsia dalam satu kenyataan di sini, hari ini berkata, pihaknya tidak teragak-agak untuk mengambil tindakan undang-undang dan memulakan tindakan sivil atau jenayah terhadap individu atau kumpulan yang menyebar pesanan salah dan berhasad dengki berkaitan syarikat itu khususnya berkaitan keselamatan. "Bagi mengelak diheret ke mahkamah, kami menasihati pihak berkenaan supaya tidak menyebarkan, mengulangi, dan/atau mengedar maklumat yang disedari salah atau memfitnah AirAsia," katanya. Syarikat penerbangan murah itu menasihatkan orang ramai supaya merujuk rangkaian komunikasi rasmi AirAsia jika mempunyai sebarang pertanyaan berkaitan operasinya melalui facebook.com/airasia, twitter.com/airasia, airasia.com/ask atau pusat penggilannya di 600 85 9999 (talian premium).

Source : http://www.hmetro.com.my/articles/AirAsiaberiamaranpadapenyebarfitnah/Article

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

In Malay newspaper - Harian Metro..

From Bernama:

AirAsia Issues Warning Against Malicious Messages On Social Media & SMS

KUALA LUMPUR, March 16 (Bernama) -- AirAsia today advised the public to disregard malicious messages circulating on Twitter, Facebook or via chain-SMS, which falsely claimed that one of its flights (variously described as AK5154 or AK5145) had crashed in Kuching airport or in KLIA on Sunday.

"We have reported the circulation of the messages to the police and the Malaysia Communications & Multimedia Commission (MCMC), as it has caused unnecessary panic among the public and disruption to our operations," the low-cost airline said in a statement here today.

AirAsia said it would not hesitate to take strong legal action and initiate civil or criminal proceedings against individuals or groups who circulate or spread false and malicious messages regarding the company, particularly relating to matters of safety.

"At the risk of legal proceedings we strongly discourage any person from creating, disseminating, repeating, spreading, circulating and/or forwarding any information which he or she is aware to be false or slanderous about AirAsia," it added.

The airline advised the public to refer to official AirAsia communication channels should they have any enquiries regarding its operations via facebook.com/airasia, twitter.com/airasia, airasia.com/ask or its call centre at 600 85 9999 (premium line).

Don't worry...if anything happen here, KCH MW members will let you know first hand...

Yup Cikgu, MSwings members almost everywhere, every airport to update and come with pictures :D

Yup Cikgu, MSwings members almost everywhere, every airport to update and come with pictures :D

Hahaha! Yeah, MWingers provide the best, most accurate and knowledgeable coverage. :clapping:

Any latest news and still ongoing investigation? Last month I had been at KCH and AHH still parked there.

Looks like repairs to 9M-AHH is to proceed soon. Notice that a temporary hangar is being erected over the entire aircraft.