MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Wood

MH 737-800s to Perth (WA) in 2011

G'day all,

Malaysia Airlines have announced new service 3x weekly service to Perth effective 15.01.11 from Kota Kinabalu.

These flights will operate using B73H aircraft.

No flight numbers or arr / dep times have been made avail yet.

Give you & us guys another option travelling between Malaysia & Australia.

Cheers Greg / Perth

Hey if anyone planning a weekend escape to PER do inform ya! :D

very interesting development. I was hoping they would put the 738's daily from KL in addition to the daily 777 service.

errkkk .. if its the same seats arrangement of current 738, i would say, it's not gonna be pleasant flight .. not much legroom & comfort!

This route is still not 100% confirmed. The confirmation is not expected until mid September.

Also on the cards, but not commencing until Jan 2012 is double daily PER (up from 10 per week)

Regarding the route, I think it is maybe on the cards due also to stronger West Australian economic ties with Sabah. They (the guys from WA) already set up some sort of trade office here in KK after setting up one in KL...

Edited by Alif A. F.

Not trying to pour cold water here but what are the chances that this would turn out to be a profitable route.

It's proposed to be 3x weekly, I hope it would work. If your final destination is in East Malaysia, you will save 1-2 hours of flying time.

How about DRW? Maybe they can tag it with KUL, DRW-BKI-KUL.

Edited by Johan Z

It's proposed to be 3x weekly, I hope it would work. If your final destination is in East Malaysia, you will save 1-2 hours of flying time.

How about DRW? Maybe they can tag it with KUL, DRW-BKI-KUL.

Plus 1-2 hours or more of waiting time during transit in KUL.

Not trying to pour cold water here but what are the chances that this would turn out to be a profitable route.

Not cold water, but a very legit query

In fact, one can question whether this whole BKI hub concept will be more profitable/cost effective, hence more sustainable than the current 'tag-on' operations

It will be an interesting and revealing experiment :)

It's a leisure market. In fact, Malaysia itself is mostly leisure market. But they will the only airline that plies this route. I think it can be a sustainable route if done well. I'm looking forward to it. But whether they will be raking in the ringgits, we shall see.

Sign in to follow this