MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Raj

Foreign Carriers and Malaysia

12 hours ago, Craig said:

SQ will reduce SIN-KUL from 68 weekly to 47 weekly beginning NW23/24 schedules (only SQ 126 will remain on 359 plus 106 on weekdays and 108 on weekends). As for PEN, SQ will fly 5 daily on 738 instead of 738/7M8 mix and Scoot will increase from 18 to 21 weekly flights. And lastly, MYY will be increased to 3x weekly. I am shocked that SQ Group has 8 daily flights to PEN!

Have not used SQ to KUL for a while owing to cost and my focus on Oneworld. Thats a quite a reduction in schedule to KUL, I guess people are not willing to pay top $ 

6 minutes ago, Robert said:

Have not used SQ to KUL for a while owing to cost and my focus on Oneworld. Thats a quite a reduction in schedule to KUL, I guess people are not willing to pay top $ 

I think SQ mostly focuses on SG originating corporate pax (I've seen quite a few bankers on SQ SIN-KUL flights) and connecting pax for its KUL flight. Their fares are not competitive and no one is willing to pay 20-30% more for a 45 minute flight. Even my SG based PPS friend refuses to pay for a SQ business ticket but rather pay for a MH business (SIN-KUL) ticket and the occasional XSP-SZB because of how much more SQ costs (and according to them, MH wins hands down in this short sector minus flat bed seats).

And I don't know why they can't even put a 738 flight after SQ 125/126. 1835 seems a bit early for their last SIN-KUL flight.

34 minutes ago, Robert said:

The ground experience is hands down better through MH, especially if you have an afternoon/evening flight out of SIN. 

18 hours ago, Adam Lawrence said:

Indonesian LCC, Super Air Jet will begin flying to KL from Surabaya & Lombok beginning August 23, 2023

Article is in Indonesian: https://bisnis.tempo.co/read/1755011/super-air-jet-buka-rute-internasional-terbaru-terbang-dari-lombok-dan-surabaya-ke-malaysia

Anyone else finds it odd that GA only flies once a day to KUL when MH (another full service carrier) flies it 4 times a day including a RON. Pretty much any airline flying this route (other than KLM) has more frequencies than GA.

45 minutes ago, Craig said:

Anyone else finds it odd that GA only flies once a day to KUL when MH (another full service carrier) flies it 4 times a day including a RON. Pretty much any airline flying this route (other than KLM) has more frequencies than GA.

GA is downsizing its Asean presence significantly. Even flights to Kalimantan and Papua barely exist now. A lot of the domestic routes in Indonesia has been replaced Lion Group. But a lot of the time lion has very poor reliability in timing my own cousins over there always complaining. Indonesia Airasia on the other hand has better reliability but presence itself is also small but is still better than Garuda. 

Edited by jahur

5 hours ago, jahur said:

GA is downsizing its Asean presence significantly. Even flights to Kalimantan and Papua barely exist now. A lot of the domestic routes in Indonesia has been replaced Lion Group. But a lot of the time lion has very poor reliability in timing my own cousins over there always complaining. Indonesia Airasia on the other hand has better reliability but presence itself is also small but is still better than Garuda. 

That might have something to do with their retirement of ATR 72 and CRJ-1000 operation, essentially the GA Explore brand was killed during the restructuring. GA now only concentrate on major or second major domestic route which have better load. Not point fighting out with Lion Air Group in all markets, in the end everyone dies. With NAM/ Sriwijaya Air Group now largely out of the picture, Lion Air Group now can dominate the smaller domestic route. 

28 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

Not point fighting out with Lion Air Group in all markets, in the end everyone dies. With NAM/ Sriwijaya Air Group now largely out of the picture, Lion Air Group now can dominate the smaller domestic route. 

Everyone was hoping Batik indonesia  which has similar 1 to 1 hard product would overtake GA but that was not the case. The operating environment in indonesia is also a mess with so many airlines popping up(about 5-6 AOC approved in just 2021) without control and some collapsing or cutting safety corners to keep afloat. If this continues Indonesia may risk itself going for another regulatory downgrade. Does not help domestic air travel in indonesia is pricey but yields are still non existent even with volume.  

Indonesia anti-trust agency finds seven airlines guilty over ticket prices

The Conspiracy To Crush AirAsia In Indonesia

Edited by jahur

On 8/3/2023 at 10:09 AM, jahur said:

Interesting. They only fly to SIN, KUL, BKK outside of ID in ASEAN. KUL/BKK once daily and SIN multiple times daily.

On 7/31/2023 at 10:33 PM, Craig said:

SQ will reduce SIN-KUL from 68 weekly to 47 weekly beginning NW23/24 schedules (only SQ 126 will remain on 359 plus 106 on weekdays and 108 on weekends). As for PEN, SQ will fly 5 daily on 738 instead of 738/7M8 mix and Scoot will increase from 18 to 21 weekly flights. And lastly, MYY will be increased to 3x weekly. I am shocked that SQ Group has 8 daily flights to PEN!

FYI, MYY was upgraded to x3 weekly since early 2023, though TR being TR, they kept on changing the flight times.

SINGAPORE AIRLINES NS24 NETWORK CHANGES – 07AUG23
NS24Star Alliance Published at 2000GMT 07AUG23

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230807-sqns24

Singapore Airlines on Monday (07AUG23) announced service changes for Northern summer 2024 season, effective 31MAR24. Planned operation changes as of 07AUG23 as follows.

Singapore – Kuala Lumpur eff 31MAR24 54 of 73 weekly available for reservation (59 from 03JUN24, 66 from 01AUG24)

1 hour ago, JuliusWong said:

SINGAPORE AIRLINES NS24 NETWORK CHANGES – 07AUG23
NS24Star Alliance Published at 2000GMT 07AUG23

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230807-sqns24

Singapore Airlines on Monday (07AUG23) announced service changes for Northern summer 2024 season, effective 31MAR24. Planned operation changes as of 07AUG23 as follows.

Singapore – Kuala Lumpur eff 31MAR24 54 of 73 weekly available for reservation (59 from 03JUN24, 66 from 01AUG24)

They dropped many KL flights are now they are putting them back

1 hour ago, Robert said:

They dropped many KL flights are now they are putting them back

Looking at their revised schedule (subject to further adjustment), I think they are deploying their fleet to market where they can earn more revenue i.e. they have adjusted upwards their daily/weekly flight schedule to major markets: Haneda daily flight (4x daily), Melbourne (5x daily) Shanghai - Pudong (5x daily), Yangon (10x weekly), Hong Kong (6x daily), Perth (4x daily) , Beijing  (3x daily) and Dubai (11x weekly). KUL is besieged by low cost carriers, there are 40+ daily flight by various airlines, revenue could be marginal for them. or maybe now they have extra aircraft to spare, therefore revising KUL schedule.

Worth noting, SQ fleet renewal roll over is currently on-going. They are now waiting for 13 B737MAX-8, two more A350s pax and 15 additional B787-10. Current financial year they will receive eight B787-10 (two delivered). Quite considerable increase in capacity to spare. Thereafter, they have a brand new fleet of B737MAX-8, A350, A380, B77W and B787-10.

I am curious to know how did Singapore Airlines manage to attain 4x daily HND slot.

Edited by JuliusWong

On 8/17/2023 at 12:16 PM, JuliusWong said:

I am curious to know how did Singapore Airlines manage to attain 4x daily HND slot.

They have 2 daytime slots (and one each for JL/NH for HND-SIN) and 2 nighttime slots (one each for NH/JL as well). Each daytime slot a foreign carrier received will be reciprocated with a JL/NH slot to that country where as nighttime slot is less restrictive. 

On 4/23/2023 at 6:04 PM, Craig said:

I like how you put Sarawak-owned airline as foreign carriers 😂 After all, us Semenanjung get a 3-month visa waiver upon arrival. 

Now Sabah's turn - only fair it's also placed in this 'foreign carriers' thread 😁

I hope this absurdity does not come to reality 🤦‍♂️

https://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news/218944/sabah-may-have-own-airline/

Screenshot_20230827_135245.jpg

Edited by BC Tam

37 minutes ago, BC Tam said:

Now Sabah's turn - only fair it's also placed in this 'foreign carriers' thread 😁

I hope this absurdity does not come to reality 🤦‍♂️

https://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news/218944/sabah-may-have-own-airline/

Screenshot_20230827_135245.jpg

Why not? Malaysia Airlines has been neglecting both Sabah and Sarawak for the past decades, AirAsia is charging exorbitant fees and charges since Day 1, and almost every international destination, Sabahans and Sarawakians need to fly to KUL to transit. Each state has their two state owned aviation company (shady or not shady is another story). Why not decentralise the decision making to each respective Wilayah for them to make their own decision? Sink or swim they will be responsible themselves.

53 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

Why not? Malaysia Airlines has been neglecting both Sabah and Sarawak for the past decades, AirAsia is charging exorbitant fees and charges since Day 1, and almost every international destination, Sabahans and Sarawakians need to fly to KUL to transit. Each state has their two state owned aviation company (shady or not shady is another story). Why not decentralise the decision making to each respective Wilayah for them to make their own decision? Sink or swim they will be responsible themselves.

Except when another FAX fiasco happens it is the enduser that swallows the mishaps and it can take years for service restoration. Note it is actually safer if it was Sabah Sarawak joining and forming the airline. Sarawak(far more stable and cash rich) invited Sabah for the airline formation years ago and even recently. But Sabah as usual decides to "u do u i do me". Last external audit on Sabah air already flag this company as being low on cash with only its subsidiary sazma aviation having sustainable revenue. 

Edited by jahur

The way that Sabah Air Chairman announces the plan to the media, is so...typical 'kedai kupi' talk, with plenty of, how should I say, sentimental values?

1 hour ago, Alif A. F. said:

The way that Sabah Air Chairman announces the plan to the media, is so...typical 'kedai kupi' talk, with plenty of, .....?

“We are just thankful that foreign investments have been lucrative for Sabah under the leadership of Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor, enabling us to fly further,”

I don't quite catch the correlation ?! 😏

The very lucrative KL-KK route is now served by MAS, Firefly, Airasia and MyAir.

Overly flattering for the insect, oblivious towards the textile design 😁

“I know some good aviation engineers and pilots from Papar and Penampang, most of whom are women. Won’t you be proud as a Sabahan to have them serving their own State?

🙄 

“Initial plans are nightly schedules, 10pm flights for example, as air traffic is clear meaning cheaper flights. 

Can someone help me out here please ?! 😉

21 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

Do you think that neglect is driven by spite or commercial reasons? If the East Malaysian market were such a cash cow, I do wonder why MH and AK are so blind to that pot of gold. Unless, you mean providing incentives to those airlines to build up their hubs there, and connect BKI/KCH/MYY etc. to the world. But then again, I thought using taxpayer's money to fund our airlines is a big no-no.

On another note, I'm surprised to hear every state has two carriers. Didn't realise the Malaysian aviation field is THAT crowded.

1 hour ago, Chris Tan said:

Do you think that neglect is driven by spite or commercial reasons? If the East Malaysian market were such a cash cow, I do wonder why MH and AK are so blind to that pot of gold. Unless, you mean providing incentives to those airlines to build up their hubs there, and connect BKI/KCH/MYY etc. to the world. But then again, I thought using taxpayer's money to fund our airlines is a big no-no.

On another note, I'm surprised to hear every state has two carriers. Didn't realise the Malaysian aviation field is THAT crowded.

I don't know if it is driven by spite or commercial reason, maybe you can tell us perhaps? And what's up with the same broken record "taxpayer's money" again and again? You do know Sabah and Sarawak have taxpaying citizens also right? You do know Sarawak itself is setting up their own wealth sovereign fund for local and international investment right? What they want to do with those money is up to them, as I mentioned before, whether or not they swim or sink is all up to them.

On 8/27/2023 at 4:09 PM, JuliusWong said:

Why not decentralise the decision making to each respective Wilayah for them to make their own decision? Sink or swim they will be responsible themselves.

With regard to this issue and particularly in Sabah context, I fear 'sink' may prove dominant over 'swim'

My fear is tgat if they do go headlong into this, the proverbial bottomless pit will be opened up ..... 😕

Edited by BC Tam

8 hours ago, JuliusWong said:

I don't know if it is driven by spite or commercial reason, maybe you can tell us perhaps? And what's up with the same broken record "taxpayer's money" again and again? You do know Sabah and Sarawak have taxpaying citizens also right? You do know Sarawak itself is setting up their own wealth sovereign fund for local and international investment right? What they want to do with those money is up to them, as I mentioned before, whether or not they swim or sink is all up to them.

Perhaps you didn't understand my question. You claimed MH and AK have been neglecting East Malaysia for decades. I'm asking why you believe so.