MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
MOHD RAMZAN FADZIL

KLIA CHANGE TO MAHATHIR INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

In my opinion that all International Major airport should maintain the city name instead of Prime Minister or President name. Having a major airport with leader's name is more like a communist or dictator nation.

Look at US, LAX is the major gateway into the US, but the name maintain to Los Angeles International Airport, just the international terminal were named. Most of non-major airport in the US was named after the president.

I vote not to change the name.

Azuddin

But what about Atlanta, or Washington (Both Reagan National & Dulles), or Paris Charles-De-Gaulle? They sound nice. At least if they want to change the name, don't drop the city name, but for KLIA it would probably sound a bit weird : Kuala Lumpur Mahathir International Airport (KLMIA).

The thing is, people dont want to change from what they used to. Legacy. Me included.

Suvarnabhumi and JFK (and the rest) were being named the first day the airport appeared. People can accept it while it is new. But not like simply wanted to change to something else from what people used to. What was Ali Rustam thinking? Like giving Dato' title to someone and being used to called by it? Gila!

JFK's original name was Idlewild Airport, named after the golf course situated nearby.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

IF we can give names to airports in Malaysia, I an im favour of these national heroes/legends' names for these several airports:

• Si Bongkok Tanjung Puteri/Tun Fatimah for JHB

Azizul

I think JHB official name is Sultan Ismail International Airport, Johor Bahru. and believe me.. none of Johor Sultan will let the name go.

I can agree with this suggestion if Kuala Lumpur is served by more than 2 International Aiport. furthermore. the Acronym, MIA? Missing in action? :blink: :blink:

If I could remember, They wanted to name the International Airport after Mahathir when it first opened back in '98. But he refused and declared that no airports in Malaysia shall be named after the country's Prime Ministers, past or present.

This poll is created to judge member's preference on renaming Kuala Lumpur International Airport to Mahathir International Airport.

Please don't reply to this thread; reply to the original thread instead.

I think Mahathir in his blog just a few days ago said that he doesn't like things be named after him.

He said many people have approached him but he never agreed to. Till this point, only an orchid is named after him, nothing else.

TUNKU ABD RAHMAN is much better...if we see RAHMAN it self..

R= RAHMAN

A=ABD RAZAK

H=HUSSEIN ONN

M=MAHATHIR

A=ABDULLAH

N=NAJIB

Fair to all our PM..

But still vote to maintain KLIA

:) :)

who knows... it might be this way

R= RAHMAN

A=ABD RAZAK

H=HUSSEIN ONN

M=MAHATHIR

A=ABDULLAH

N=NAJIB NIK AZIZ

who knows... it might be this way

R= RAHMAN

A=ABD RAZAK

H=HUSSEIN ONN

M=MAHATHIR

A=ABDULLAH

N=NAJIB NIK AZIZ

HAHAHA...Not Imposible DR Chuo.. :good:

HAHAHA...Not Imposible DR Chuo.. :good:

Will Nik Aziz using this MAHATHIR AIRPORT?????

Edited by MOHD RAMZAN FADZIL

Why must they change it. . More' extra money' will be spend to rename the airport, change the sign board, etc. . .

Better spend it on other benefit activity that will bring benfit to everyone

Oh no!...i can see where this going...it's bye bye Kuching (Semi- ) International Airport...and Hello! Pehin Seri Abdul Taib Mahmud (Still Semi - ) International Airport Kuching.....I would prefer James Brooke International Airport Kuching....very international indeed...hahaha!

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Oh no...i can see where this going...its bye bye Kuching (Semi- ) International Airport...hello Pehin Seri Abdul Taib Mahmud International Airport Kuching.....I would prefer James Brooke International Airport Kuching....very international indeed...hahaha!

Francis Light International Airport :lol:

If he wants, either AOR or LGK in his home state can be named after him. But not KLIA, imo!

Or.... just the LCCT (current one, not the new one) to name after him. Leave the mtb KLIA alone!

BKI - Musa Aman International Airport? yikes! ::80::

Edited by Andi C

I wonder if any moderator can incorporate this poll into the original thread. Thanks.

I vote for 'No' not because I don't like him ..

But KLIA sound is good already

.....I would prefer James Brooke International Airport Kuching....very international indeed...hahaha!

ya Kenneth..a good idea indeed..maybe we can put the "Rajah" also with it.. :p

"Tuan-tuan dan Puan-puan, Selamat Datang ke Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa Rajah James Brooke Kuching"

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to Rajah James Brooke International Airport Kuching"..haha..sound very-very international.. :good:

but then, have to wait till a new airport to be build then (maybe 50++ years from now) :lol: :db:

KUALA LUMPUR=MAHATHIR INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

KUCHING=TAIB MAHMUD INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

SABAH=MUSA AMAN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

KELANTAN=NIK AZIZ INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

what else...?

B)

If LCCT Labu project not frozen, then possibly Najib-Labu @ east in the future! :blink:

I have nothing against renaming the airport. I don't know how accurate is the article but I think Dr M deserve something name after him to keep his legacy going. He also achieve many to make malaysian proud. eg. KLCC twin tower,Proton, Sepang etc......

Personally I don't think Dr M is the kind of person who wants to be 'worshipped' with places named after him, unlike a certain someone whose face were on countless banners in KL during the last Federal Territory Day, and (currently) two huge ones spanning the federal highway near Seputeh!

Edited by Rozhan