MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
MOHD RAMZAN FADZIL

KLIA CHANGE TO MAHATHIR INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Hope Datuk Seri Mohd. Ali Rustam will reconsider his suggestion after watching this documentary done by Australia

Broadcasting Company.. Hope can refresh your memory about this case which happened about decades ago.

Click here to watch this ABC documantary

Well, I don't see what this has to do with the issue. I mean, Dr.M have done more for the nation.

Jo'berg recently changed its airport name and I don't remember at all what it is now even though I've been there a few times since the change.

Should have called it Mandela Airport... now that is a really respected name! Any other name would simply fall short...

Let’s have a Jalan Tun Dr Mahathir, says Cheras Umno

NEWS/COMMENTARIES

Sunday, 20 June 2010 Super Admin

“I call on the government to change the name of Jalan Ampang to Jalan Tun Dr Mahathir as soon as possible,” said Syed Al. “I also would like to propose that the Kuala Lumpur International Airport be renamed Mahathir-Hasmah International Airport, Kuala Lumpur.

By Adib Zalkapli, The Malaysian Insider

Cheras Umno today asked the government to rename Jalan Ampang to Jalan Tun Dr Mahathir.

The Cheras Umno division chief Datuk Wira Syed Ali Alhabshee also wanted the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) to be renamed to honour both Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad and his wife Tun Dr Siti Hasmah Mohamad Ali.

“I call on the government to change the name of Jalan Ampang to Jalan Tun Dr Mahathir as soon as possible,” said Syed Ali when opening the Cheras Umno annual assembly.

“In Kuala Lumpur we now have Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, Jalan Dato Onn, Jalan Tun Razak. It is fair that we honour Tun Dr Mahathir for his contribution,” he said.

Syed Ali said he had made the same request to the government when he was a member of the Dewan Negara, months before Dr Mahathir’s resignation as prime minister in October 2003.

“We must honour him when his around, don’t wait until he is gone,” he said.

Jalan Ampang is one of the major roads in the Klang Valley connecting the city centre with the state of Selangor.

The road is home to several entertainment outlets and major shopping centres including the Suria KLCC.

Syed Ali added Dr Siti Hasmah should also be honoured in a similar way for her role in Dr Mahathir’s life.

“I also would like to propose that the Kuala Lumpur International Airport be renamed Mahathir-Hasmah International Airport, Kuala Lumpur,” said Syed Ali.

http://malaysia-today.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32571:lets-have-a-jalan-tun-dr-mahathir-says-cheras-umno&catid=19:newscommentaries&Itemid=100131

There is no smoke without fire, let’s see how the main stream media play up in the next few days.

For crying out loud...just leave the airport name alone! :nea:

ALL i can say is stupid idea yup u guys are rite leave the airport name alone KLIA name is already cool dun change it SON of a B***

As the Man himself said before...

do not name anything upon a guy while the guy is still alive

(except for sultans/kings)....

Mudah Lupa (Easy to Forget)

Lols, Malaysian MPs have nothing to do? :finger:

I hope not. Another stupid idea.

i do agree with u,klia is the best,well known.if it is for remembering our ex pm,it should have been done many years ago,before it is named klia

I think that it is OK to name infrastructure facilities after notable citizens to honour them . . . but instead of changing names of existing ones, why don't wait till new facilities are built to honour such citizens.

Changing the names of existing facilities results in the following scenarios:

- In the case where such facilities are already named after notable citizens, the new name erases history and past honours bestowed on notable citizens

- Lots of related collaterals, printed materials and signages will have to be changed at huge costs

- In some cases, such names can be confusing to foreign visitors for a rather long interim period

A country such as Malaysia with so much development going on has plenty of scope for naming prime facilities after notable citizens and so there should be little pressure to rename existing ones. I frankly still like the name - Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

KC Sim