MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
KC Sim

Singapore Airlines First Airbus A330-300 - Handover

On 21 January 2009, Airbus handed over the first A330-300 to Singapore Airlines . . . it was cold, dismal and the beautiful video presentation that Airbus had produced could not be screened as the entire area of Blagnac was hit by a power outage! Still, all speeches went ahead and the cabin tour progressed without a hitch.

From a photographer's standpoint, I was disappointed as the dismal weather did not allow me any decent shot of the aircraft's exterior before and during the handover. Later in the afternoon of 21 Jan (when my photo-permit for TLS had expired), I realised that the aircraft was to be towed away from the Airbus Delivery Centre . . . the dismal weather notwithstanding, I went to watch it from the 2nd Storey balcony. Then a miracle happened . . . an Airbus engineer saw me and came up to me to ask if I would like to go down on the ramp to photograph it being pushed back . . . WOULD I???!!! I certainly would and did . . . not before thanking him profusely. He wasted no time ripping the luminous jacket off his own back and passed it to me, just so that I would not lose time. I did not quite get his name but hope that somehow he sees this and knows how grateful I am. And then a second miracle happened . . . for just a few heartbeats longer than 2 mins, the sun burst through the thick overcast just about 6 seconds after the pushback commenced. So here are some shots for a start .. .

mw-9V-STA-2009-01-21-13Cr-PUP.jpg

mw-9V-STA-2009-01-21-26Cr.jpg

mw-9V-STA-2009-01-21-37Cr.jpg

And just less than a minute before the pushback, this was how dismal it looked . . .

mw-9V-STA-2009-01-21-39Cr-DeliveryC.jpg

Will be posting interior shots later as I finish processing the pictures.

KC Sim

Hi Bob,

sorry for the anxiety I have caused you . . . had I known that, I would have posted earlier. I was really surprised how pretty the A330 in SIA's livery looks . . . even the Airbus people who have delivered countless A330s before this commented it is one of the prettiest livery on this aircraft - and that the big titles went particularly well.

I must admit I do agree . . . and even the media folks who previously have never thought any plane looked different commented similarly. And to think these media people saw it in dismal light. For that 2 minutes when the light came out during the pushback, they were filing their stories in the media centre. I was lucky to have toured the cabin a day before - for photography - and that allowed me the opportunity to write my piece the night before the handover and filed the story the moment the embargo was lifted.

KC

great set of shots KC>.. im already tuned in waiting for more pictures :)

Excellent KC!

Can't wait to see her myself in flesh!

Walter, your wish is granted far quicker than you can imagine. The A330 9V-STA is right now at KLIA and will return to SIN later this evening around 1730hrs at SQ3016. Could someone advise what it is doing at KLIA?

KC Sim

Walter, your wish is granted far quicker than you can imagine. The A330 9V-STA is right now at KLIA and will return to SIN later this evening around 1730hrs at SQ3016. Could someone advise what it is doing at KLIA?

KC Sim

arghhhhh~!!!!

Weather is awful at this moment, 1730 departure aint that suitable also @_@.

KC Sim

thanks for the info KC. unfortunately, weather in KUL is as mundane and gloomy as in TLS on SQ A330 delivery day. :huh:

there might be a few ultra-hardcore KUL spotters in KUL this evening, you'll never know... :lol:

KC, nice pictures of the SQ A330. She does look good in 330. :clapping:

Hmmmm SQ A330 in KUL, too bad I am at home reading MWings forum. :angry:

I was in SIN Terminal 1 yesterday morning. Around 10AM, spotted that SQ A330 passing by TI Viewing Deck. :yahoo:

Took a few shots but still in my CF card. Will upload later when I have a chance to look at it. :pardon:

Someone in KUL should catch her flying today ...... :blink:

Edited by Chaity

Someone in KUL should catch her flying today ...... :blink:

Saw it departing 32R around 1335 LT today. Too bad I was during pushback at bay A4, so in no position to take any picture. And weather was not spotting-friendly either.

Thanks for sharing, KC :drinks: Superb job as always!

A330 looks really good in SQ livery I must agree... also the A345

Looking forward to any interior cabin shots

sorry for the anxiety I have caused you . . . had I known that, I would have posted earlier. I was really surprised how pretty the A330 in SIA's livery looks . . . even the Airbus people who have delivered countless A330s before this commented it is one of the prettiest livery on this aircraft - and that the big titles went particularly well.

The SQ livery looks superb on the A330-300. Even better than putting it on the A340-500.

Thanks for the superb photos, KC

Awesome shots of SQ A330. Look much better than I expected. :)

Thanks KC for sharing these wonderful shots from TLS.

Waiting for the cabin shots.

'klik' - "refresh", 'klik' - "refresh"

hmm....

how come...

hhmmmmmmm....

The A333 in SQ livery, with the dark blue and gold cheatline contrasting with the white does look stunning indeed! The enlarged fonts are certainly growing on me, and I suddenly find myself feeling that the old and smaller fonts look odd.

I'm really really looking forward to the photos of the J and Y cabin soon!

COOL! and Superb! Its always our pleasure to have all these insight in Mwings. Many many thanks for the sharing KC!

Now.... i am tuned in for more...

Sorry for the delay in posting these cabin interior shots. But first, let's begin from the front . . . which is the office where folks like TK work.

mw-9V-STA-Cockpit.jpg

In the 30-seater Business Class section, "the product take its cue from SIA's longhaul cabin onboard the B777-300ER and A380" - the words of SIA's Executive VP Operations & Services. Indeed, one who has seen the interior of the B77W and A388 immediately gets a sense of familiarity - but notice that the seats are not extra-wide and when turned into a lie-flat bed, it inclines at an angle of 8 degrees. But it does have new features that those on the B77W & A388 do not.

Firstly, the seat itself . . .

mw-9V-STA-BizClass-Seat.jpg

. . . and the back of the seat where you could see additional storage slots (2 per seat), an extra slot for bottled water (very thoughtful), nice slot for inflight magazines etc.

mw-9V-STA-BizClass-SeatBack.jpg

The reading light has undergone yet another change to LED and turns on gradually when one swivel it outwards by pressing on the depression. It again dims gradually when returned to its flushed position. One could play with this all night long . . .

mw-9V-STA-BizClass-ReadingLight.jpg

Another feature I like very much is the slot that is built into the armrest separating each pair of seats for storing laptops . . . this way, one could work on the laptop, stow it away temporarily during mealtimes or naps and then easily retrieve it to work again. The slot is quite deep and could take a full-size laptop but a new cool and hip mini-laptop would possibly disappear from view. Each pair of seat is also given added privacy by a screen that can be pulled out from the divider between them.

mw-9V-STA-BizClass-Laptopstorage.jpg

The feature that many will like is the i-pod and i-phone connectivity introduced in both Business Class and Economy Class. In the Business Class seat, there is a stowage space built into the front end of the armrest between each pair of seats . . .

mw-9V-STA-BizClass-iPod-Storage.jpg

The Economy Class section has the same look and feel as that on the B77W and A388. The colours teal/grey in one section and earthy brown in the other are maintained.

mw-9V-STA-EconClass-Seats.jpg

mw-9V-STA-EconClass-Seat.jpg

I-pod / i-phone connectivity means also that one could use the seat-back IFE screen to enjoy pictures of one's own family, friends and pets, personal selection of music, video content etc. The i-phone though connected cannot however be used to make calls (and I for one am glad that SIA is not intending to allow mobile phone calls onboard its planes).

mw-9V-STA-EconClass-iPodConnectivit.jpg

A close-up of the various ports gives you and idea what you could plug into during the flight.

mw-9V-STA-EconClass-Ports.jpg

I know of folks who have already booked themselves for joyrides on the A330 between SIN and KUL / CGK . . . bet you are excited about it and wishing you a very pleasant experience.

The official debut of the A330 however is the SIN-BNE flight on 30 March 2009, exactly 25 years after SIA launched services on this route. Wonder what inflight giveaways SIA has planned.

KC Sim

I have been dodging the A330s of airline thus far.

Suddenly, these pictures have provided me a renewed meaning in riding A330s again!

Edited by S V Choong