Icon Important Announcement!

New registrations require administration validation. This may delay registration approvals.
Reach out to us on our Facebook Page for faster approvals

Photo

Air Asia in talks for more A320's

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 Pieter C.

Pieter C.
  • Platinum Member
  • 13,223 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:33 AM

AirAsia In Talks For More A320s

August 21, 2007
Malaysian budget carrier AirAsia is in talks to buy more Airbus A320 planes due to increasing demand, AirAsia Deputy Chief Executive Kamarudin Meranum said.

AirAsia, one of the fastest growing airlines in the world, has 150 firm orders for the single-aisle A320s and options on another 50.

"We are in discussions to increase our Airbus orders," Kamarudin said, but gave no further details.

"We will probably firm up some of the optional aircrafts and take additional optional aircrafts," he said.

AirAsia, Asia's largest budget carrier, introduced its low-fare, no-frills concept in December 2001, and has since embarked on an aggressive expansion.

(Reuters)

Hope they know what they're doing and not 'over expanding' like previous airlines such as PeoplExpress, etc...

#2 Louis L.

Louis L.
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE(Pieter C. @ Aug 22 2007, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hope they know what they're doing and not 'over expanding' like previous airlines such as PeoplExpress, etc...

hope so that they really in need for the aircraft and not for the sake of showing off... dry.gif

#3 Azmir I.

Azmir I.
  • Silver Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE(Louis L. @ Aug 24 2007, 05:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hope so that they really in need for the aircraft and not for the sake of showing off... dry.gif

Be carefull with that statement .Whatever we want to say we must think rationally and with facts before jumping on conclusion.How about Emirates with their 55 aircraft order A380? or 60 aircraft order A350XWB from Qatar?

#4 Gavin Andrew David

Gavin Andrew David

Flying High

• Platinum Club Members
  • 7,055 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:07 PM

They have many many many many aircraft , many many many many flights , many many many many many problems with a/c and there are many many many many things I hate about AirAsia .

But their yearly profits don't have all the many's like what i've mentioned above ..

#5 Alif A. F.

Alif A. F.
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(Gavin Andrew David @ Aug 24 2007, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They have many many many many aircraft , many many many many flights , many many many many many problems with a/c and there are many many many many things I hate about AirAsia .

But their yearly profits don't have all the many's like what i've mentioned above ..

I never take AK before, and surprising that the company do get some bad review though...

#6 zeqa

zeqa
  • Gold Member
  • 847 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:57 PM

How many planes they have currently?

#7 Benjamin Ng

Benjamin Ng
  • Silver Member
  • 277 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE(zeqa @ Aug 24 2007, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How many planes they have currently?

Malaysia 34
Thailand 12
Indonesia 8

#8 Azmir I.

Azmir I.
  • Silver Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:22 PM

Its a free world,as a consumer you get to choose whatever ,wherever you want,one mans meat another mans poison.You cant compare a full service or legacy airline to a LCC.You should be compare Ryanair,easyJet or Southwest.

#9 Louis L.

Louis L.
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE(Azmir I. @ Aug 24 2007, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Be carefull with that statement .Whatever we want to say we must think rationally and with facts before jumping on conclusion.How about Emirates with their 55 aircraft order A380? or 60 aircraft order A350XWB from Qatar?

huh.gif dun get me wrong azmir....as a can say regular flyer for ak...i do support them...well...i just raising my point of concern for our baby boy...just like parent worrying about their children...got my point??

#10 Seng Lim

Seng Lim
  • Gold Member
  • 695 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:48 PM

150 A320s not solely catered for AK operations but for FD & QZ (+ any other future subsidiaries) as well. With over 500 millions populations in Asean there's plenty of room to grow.

#11 Azmir I.

Azmir I.
  • Silver Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:18 PM

O.k.points taken,no problemo.

#12 Kenneth T

Kenneth T
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:23 PM

I seriously dont think theye need so many planes for AK Malaysia for the time bring, unless such plane is deployed for Thai and Indo AK. rolleyes.gif

#13 Naim

Naim

• Platinum Member
  • 5,948 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE(Alif A. F. @ Aug 24 2007, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never take AK before, and surprising that the company do get some bad review though...

In all my years of traveling with AK, only had a couple of delays - then just an hour or so late, with the old 737. So far no prob for me. Many times arrived early. Btw just got back from DPS. Last Monday AK904 (AFV) arrived DPS 10min early, today AK901 (AFI) arrived KUL 30min early. good.gif

+++

#14 Rozhan

Rozhan
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:11 AM

I think AK & Co is going to annihilate the competition. I see many of the new planes are going to cover China and India, which are within the range of A320s, and more frequencies to current destinations when people get to know AK better. Fly it, know it, love it!

#15 Azmir I.

Azmir I.
  • Silver Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:06 AM

Current planning is to equip KUL hub with approx 40-50 A320 then to replace B733 at hubs JHB,KCH,BKI and perhaps new hub PEN followed by ThaiAirAsia (FD)and IndonesiaAirAsia (QZ) and also other JV in the pipeline planned for the future.The airplane order is not solely for Malaysia but rather for the whole AirAsia Grp.Planned replacement for FD will start this Nov and QZ the earliest 2008.

#16 BC Tam

BC Tam
  • Platinum Member
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:36 AM

One does not have to dwell too deeply into Malaysian aviation history to learn of previous overly ambitious expansion plans. Yes, very impressive and exciting times they were when "a certain someone" signed contracts for 744's, 772ER's, 773's, 734's, 735's, 333's in rapid succession. Years later, we see the red ink predominate in the annual P&L's and many of the birds basking unproductively under the sun at KLIA. Then the taxpayers, well, paid ....... !

Having even taken into account the very different business models between AK and the above-referred carrier, one cannot help but wonder if anything was learnt from previous experience. I do sincerely hope they know what they are getting into though (and make a success of it) !

#17 Kenneth T

Kenneth T
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:41 AM

Things are in the past now, so what they do is to utilise the current ageing fleets and to be more prudednt with fleets selection since cash flow is another concern her. Not to mention the task to keep the current sharehiolders happy too....of which majority are the government which indirectly implies the RAKYAT $$. Haha rolleyes.gif

#18 S V Choong

S V Choong
  • Platinum Member
  • 7,040 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:15 PM

Just a question about the jargon, FD is Thai Air Asia and QZ is Indonesia Air Asia, correct?

BC, it's the tax payer's money anyway who cares....wink.gif i wonder how much of their earnings had returned to the citizens if they did make a profit.

O/T Looks like MH is solidifying the idea of keeping the 734 fleet as any new planes from A or B Co. can only be delivered 5-6 years from now due to the backlog of orders. Perhaps one should ask why AK is able to get their 320 birds delivered in a matter of months, while it takes MAS to acquire their first bird 5-6 years later? Doesn't sound quite right.... Though MH is better of keeping their current 734 till the latest narrow body shows up rather than ordering the current 737NG.

Edited by S V Choong, 25 August 2007 - 02:16 PM.

#19 Naim

Naim

• Platinum Member
  • 5,948 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE(Azmir I. @ Aug 25 2007, 08:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Current planning is to equip KUL hub with approx 40-50 A320 then to replace B733 at hubs JHB,KCH,BKI and perhaps new hub PEN followed by ThaiAirAsia (FD)and IndonesiaAirAsia (QZ) and also other JV in the pipeline planned for the future.The airplane order is not solely for Malaysia but rather for the whole AirAsia Grp.Planned replacement for FD will start this Nov and QZ the earliest 2008.
AirAsia Vietnam in the pipeline (JV with Vietnamese) and soon another hub in Vietnam.+++
QUOTE(S V Choong @ Aug 25 2007, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a question about the jargon, FD is Thai Air Asia and QZ is Indonesia Air Asia, correct?BC, it's the tax payer's money anyway who cares....wink.gif i wonder how much of their earnings had returned to the citizens if they did make a profit.
Before talking about 'using' taxpayers' money, pls check AirAsia shareholding structure here first:http://tinyurl.com/3bpu7a+++

#20 BC Tam

BC Tam
  • Platinum Member
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(Kenneth T @ Aug 25 2007, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
..... the task to keep the current sharehiolders happy too....of which majority are the government which indirectly implies the RAKYAT $$. Haha rolleyes.gif

Quite right - "Haha rolleyes.gif" ! wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users