MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Pieter C.

Air Asia in talks for more A320's

..... actually Ive been following this forum for quite sumtime.. but decided .. well y dun i participate in it..

Welcome to the forum Alex. Yeah, I would think the PUBLIC in that context is anyone who can "show AK the money" to buy their share.

Sorry no offence, but could you please write in full words rather than short cuts for the sake of easy reading? :p Don't feel obliged if you don't wish to.

Edited by S V Choong

I'm all for AK, as long as I get to pay 'value-for-money' airfares for places I've always wanted to go to. Btw I just got home from 4 nites in Bali, paid only RM230 return, and flight KUL-DPS arrived 10min early, DPS-KUL early by 30min. I'm a happy puppy! Other ppl can foam in the mouth but I'll stick to AK as long as I can get great deals like this. :D

+++

Agree with Naim. Truly agree.

And may I add that, I rather enjoy paying RM11 for Air Asia Nasi Lemak and 1 cup of hot drink rather than MH food on domestic flights, especially those originating from KUL.

Edited by Fitri Shukri

Won't fly AK unless for exceptionally short flights (like anywhere within peninsular M'sia)

Same here. Or intra-east Malaysia flights. For BKI-KUL i still prefer MAS. I just hope MAS will order new planes soon and introduce PTV in all classes on their narrowbodies aircraft. And also upgrade the meal in EY (MAS food portion is so small and suck nowadays, no offence !). And also bringing back the YEE30 fare for BKI/KUL sector.

Edited by Isaac

..... but well we should be well aware tt AK n MH way for managing is diff.. 1 is GLC n another is a profit minded com.. so well it holds accountability towards the shareholder n not the gov .....
Yes, one is categorized as a GLC. The other, well, possibly GLC in another sense :p
..... airasia's expanding like no one can, and nothing is going to stop them .....
Nothing ?! :blink: :)

I just hope MAS will order new planes soon and introduce PTV in all classes on their narrowbodies aircraft.

I don't think so... since the narrow bodies are used for short/mid haul flights? :pardon:

Sure, no problem at all. Will write in full context =D.

But it'll be very interesting to see AK overtaking SQ in terms of fleet size. That I would say a truly Malaysia Boleh story.

Edited by Alex Oh

Agree with Naim. Truly agree.And may I add that, I rather enjoy paying RM11 for Air Asia Nasi Lemak and 1 cup of hot drink rather than MH food on domestic flights, especially those originating from KUL.
Hehehe ... my next good deals with AK are for Nov (cuti sekolah) trip to Chiangmai - paid only RM245 return - and for RM100 tix to LGK in Dec (LIMA '07). For Sep and Oct, no trips, grounding myself for puasa and Raya. Trips for 2008 already on the drawing board. :)And yes, I'd rather grab the AK onboard nasi lemak than eat at McD or Asian Kitchen at LCCT. +++
airasia's expanding like no one can, and nothing is going to stop them. we can be red all over, but that definitely does not include our accounts book ;) ;)
A couple of bad crashes may ... but I think the LCC business model is a bit too early to judge, just like the dotcom biz in the late 90s. Creative accounting can make things look good. AK may yet flop, but pls not before I can grab more goodies. +++ Edited by Naim

i guess it's unfair to talk about a crash before it could even occur. to date, we've got everything to talk about for sure. crashes will definitely happen no matter how safe you try to be, but that's not the point. the point is what we have been doing all this while to avoid things like that from happening. and i think we need not wait another 20-30 years before we authorise that the LCC model is the best. it's more than half a decade now and it's running strong. give it a few more years and it'll prove that you can do things differently and fill your pockets at the same time.

I don't think so... since the narrow bodies are used for short/mid haul flights? :pardon:

Well, they have to offer something more in order to remain competitive. They also need to offer more than just complimentary meals, more legroom, assigned seating etc. to distinguish themselves between a no-frills airline and a full-service carrier.

By the way, some of you might wonder why i hope MAS will bring back the YEE30 fare. Well, it's because if you book your flight like in the last minute for BKI/KUL return, it will cost you RM1000+. I can save lots of money if YEE30 fare still exist.

just to share something laaa.. hope it not out of topix.. but still about AK laaa..

Spotting today.. see some big banner at the hanger curious to know about it.. as Walter dunno.. Yong ask me to go closer so this what i get laaa... everybody one to be the 1st. :rofl:

AK.jpg

Go to the site area.. see the big signboard.. got this perspective view.. on my mind 'muat kaaa'~??

AK2.jpg

AK3.jpg

i guess it's unfair to talk about a crash before it could even occur. to date, we've got everything to talk about for sure. crashes will definitely happen no matter how safe you try to be, but that's not the point. the point is what we have been doing all this while to avoid things like that from happening. and i think we need not wait another 20-30 years before we authorise that the LCC model is the best. it's more than half a decade now and it's running strong. give it a few more years and it'll prove that you can do things differently and fill your pockets at the same time.

You are obviously an AK dependant, so your opinion, to me, is not always objective. Let's be realistic, a bad crash or two, terrorism attacks, epidemics, anything that drives users away, and the LCC model may get flushed away too.

+++

Go to the site area.. see the big signboard.. got this perspective view.. on my mind 'muat kaaa'~??

AK2.jpg

hmmm since when did AK order the a340?? bad artist impression...... :p

Edited by Alex Oh

i'm not being on their side for nothing. bigger airliners have had bigger marks in their history, yet nobody talks about them. why? just because they're a full airline. do agree with you that it'll take one incident only to ruin the image, but think again as the proportion isn't running smoothly. the LCCs are always the ones that are being picked on. i hear all kinds of things people say every single day, and i can assure you maybe 20% of them were in favour of the LCC model although i can bet you that 80% of them only fly on these LCCs although they have a thousand and two complaints.

it's always the case of people comparing a full airline with a LCC. unexpected and unforeseen circumstances cannot be avoided, but if we are awaiting eagerly for it to happen is just simply ridiculous. perhaps some might suggest that we wait for one disaster to happen so that we could make conclusion about the LCC model? speaking back in those days (or even now), they speak on previous records, but the trend nowadays is to speak and make judgments based on what would or could happen later? i leave that to you guys anyways :spiteful: :spiteful:

purely my one and only cent.

i'm not being on their side for nothing. bigger airliners have had bigger marks in their history, yet nobody talks about them. why? just because they're a full airline. do agree with you that it'll take one incident only to ruin the image, but think again as

I'm just a user. I use AK because to me, it's value for money, but that does not mean I'll support AK till the end of the world (hey, it ain't my dad's company). And when you read my previous posts, I'm always in support of AK, satisfied with the service, and have never compared it to full airlines. I have no other motive.

But when you said "airasia's expanding like no one can, and nothing is going to stop them. we can be red all over, but that definitely does not include our accounts book ..." then that's one pretty cocky statement. A lot of things can make this high flyer crash and burn (metaphorically and literallly), and let's leave it at that. And as long as I think it's a decent airline with great fares, I'll keep using it. Otherwise I'll switch.

Look at your AK passenger traffic trend for last one year HERE.

[June '07 number not yet out - late by almost 1 month now.]

Jul 605455

Aug 700234

Sep 638932

Oct 659646

Nov 736376

Dec 877386

Jan 712425

Feb 685325

Mar 762610

Apr 736795

May 787785

To me that looks like a drunk walking in a circle - not going anywhere. If I'm a shareholder I'd be worried because LCC model depends a lot on bulk buy (see HERE), and yet the company is gonna commit more $$$. In any case I ain't no shareholder, so I don't really care. All I care is I can get cheap fares on safe planes. Otherwise I'll find another carrier.

Oh yes, gotta add another thing. The ppl behind AK are obviously cunning businessmen, and what they're good at is to hype up values of companies (whether companies do well or not) and sell them off for oodles of money when the time comes. Look at AirAsiaX, not a single flight yet, and look at all the hype + FAX trick, even got the englishman in. A lot of Malaysian companies are shooting stars - AK could be one too, so grab the goodies while you can. :)

+++

Edited by Naim

Look what happen to Asmara Air?All that hype even before getting an AOC with Big time politician backing but habuk pun tarak.LCC thing in Asia is a new thing,not many people are convince with the bussines procedure but its qite mature in the States or Europe.Look when AirAsia was under DRB Hicom it was bleeding money for 5 years,its final year with DRB before takeover by TuneAir was $35 million in losses.,2 x B733.Best of all when I joined the company in early 2002 the MAS pilots that I met at KLIA were giving comments that the company will go under in 3 years and that send chills down my spine.At the end of the daylets think of it,Malaysian consumers can choose which mode of transportation to choose,by bus - high possibility of road crash on hiway,taxi-drivers wont use meters,so you can choose which one you want.Malaysia bussiness analyst are not conversant with LCC philosophy yet.Please do not talk about AirAsia X before you know anything,I know for a fact about it cause Im one of the pilots doing the A330 course plus info from DCA.

I know for a fact about it cause Im one of the pilots doing the A330 course plus info from DCA.

Sure, no prob. and I know the guys behind AK and AKX, so maybe I do know something from upstairs not known to you? Info from DCA? My old classmate is running the show there, and boy, does he have great tales to tell. :)

+++

Anyway, what is so difficult about the 'LCC philosophy' that mere mortals like us cannot understand it? It may be magic to the A330 man, but hey, it ain't rocket science to me and most other ppl. I'm talking about the variables in the model, and the (high) risks associated with them. It's simple, LCC models thrive on bulk buy. Any slow-down in take-up, and the model goes into a tailspin. Hence my concern on the more-or-less flat passenger growth over last 12 mths.

strategy.gif

See nice pic above from company website. We see such nice pic all the time in our business. Look at the foundation, in particular 'stimulate new markets' and 'strong cashflow'. I tell you that's gonna be tough. The pillars may wobble, and the 'high margins' and 'sustainable growth' goals may collapse. Borrowing may help, but for short-term.

All I'm saying is, fine, you guys are loyal salarymen/women of the company, which is great, but pls do not be too cocky. Five years is a short time, business-wise. Let's see how it goes in the next 5.

And yes, I know, in the early days, company had to send staff for motivational courses to keep their morale up. They seem much better now.

+++

Sure, no prob. and I know the guys behind AK and AKX, so maybe I do know something from upstairs not known to you? Info from DCA? My old classmate is running the show there, and boy, does he have great tales to tell. :)

+++

hehe..yes Naim...from my experience dealing with those MAHB people for quite some time...heard lots of stories which took me by surprised...but then..who am i to judge..as long i can get cheap tickets..im fine with it.. :D

I have friends who moved from a Captain in the (Blue) Air Asia to become co-pilot on MAS B737. And I have friends who were MH B737 copilot that went to AK to become B737 and A320 Captains. I guess everybody have their own niche.

hehe..yes Naim...from my experience dealing with those MAHB people for quite some time...heard lots of stories which took me by surprised...but then..who am i to judge..as long i can get cheap tickets..im fine with it.. :D

MAHB? DCA ppl have better yarns, I guess. :D

Btw since somebody mentioned about the old AirAsia-Hicom days, I have a story to tell. I was there when it happened, and bumped into the odd Boeing salesmen with their pretty impressive catalogues. Heheheh, great powerpoint presentations ...

In the early 90s, in its pre-GLC heydays, Hicom Berhad answered directly to the Chief Kahuna (the Old Retired Man lah), and the strategy was for Hicom to move into services - aviation being one of them. To give MAS a bit of a shake, two entities appeared - Air Asia and KLAS.

The Old Man personally chose a name for the airline, which was initially 'Pacific Eagle'. Somehow or rather, they could not get the name, so instead had to settle for plain 'Air Asia'. Btw look at the old Air Asia logo:

airasia.gif

Can you not spot the legacy eagle somewhere?

In '95, as the fledgling airline was still looking for its footing, the govt sold Hicom to Yahaya Ahmad. I quit as soon as Yahaya came on-board, only to hear of his demise in a chopper crash when I was in Manila 2 yrs later).

As soon as Yahaya took over, he decided to refocus on the automative industry. That was virtually the end for Air Asia ver. 1.0. So when Mr TF appeared with Mr Pahamin, it was a dream come true for Hicom.

So, pls do not bash Hicom for Air Asia 'non-performance'. It was a political decision to set up the airline under Hicom, to wake MAS up, and Hicom did not really want it. Yahaya Ahmad finally killed the project off. All AK dependants should instead be grateful to Hicom Bhd for giving birth to that baby initially called 'Pacific Eagle'.

+++

Interesting story Naim. I remember the day (or rather night) of the chopper crash as I was in Kg Dong, not to far from the site. It was a bit hush hush news amongst locals as the local men in blue and those first to reach the site had a sinister version of what they believed actually happened that led to the crash.

Interesting story Naim. I remember the day (or rather night) of the chopper crash as I was in Kg Dong, not to far from the site. It was a bit hush hush news amongst locals as the local men in blue and those first to reach the site had a sinister version of what they believed actually happened that led to the crash.

Rozhan, you a Kg Dong boy? I was last there hunting for some Rafflesia late last year. Trekked all the way past Mona Fandey's land. Read story HERE. :)

Btw, ahem, what's the sinister story about? :o

Also pls check your PM.

+++

I was last there hunting for some Rafflesia late last year.

OT: What do those things actually smell like in real life? :mellow:

Edited by Keith T

OT: What do those things actually smell like in real life? :mellow:

A rotting dead cat/dog by the roadside? Pretty close. :)

+++

i'm not speaking as a loyal employee of the company or what. and 5 years of success is more than enough to speak for itself. and saying that we're proud of the LCC concept and we have full faith in it is practically not being cocky. it would be cocky if they were running in the RED and having loads of problems just like Adam Air and we still kept saying this is a success which will never be achieved by anyone no matter when. all i'm doing is giving the credits they deserve when it's due.

and five years for a concept which have been proven to be successful is good enough. unless, we're the pioneers for the LCC concept and nobody has ever come up with one. and i affirm what i said earlier, there is no stopping them. if you're going to harp on issues of a crash/a hijack/or a malfunction which would destroy the whole LCC concept, i'd love to harp on the free fares, outstanding achievements and the utmost important one, the record of the airline is still at a applaudable level. and yes, at the end of they day, it's your choice that matters most, not mine or his or even hers.

cheers.

Sign in to follow this