MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Sing Yew

Tiger Airways Keen To Fly To KLIA's LCC Terminal

Came across this from Bernama's website:

Tiger Airways Keen To Fly To KLIA's LCC Terminal

SINGAPORE, Oct 29 (Bernama) -- Singapore's low fare airline, Tiger Airways, is keen to fly to Malaysia's new low cost carrier (LCC) terminal at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).

Commenting on a newsreport that Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) was wooing regional LCCs to fly to the new facility, to be launched next year, Tiger Airways Chief Executive Officer Tony Davis said that the airline was "very keen" to fly between Singapore and Malaysia.

"(We) will definitely take up the offer from MAHB to use the LCC terminal if we receive permission from the Malaysian aviation authorities to do so," Davis said in a statement.

Malaysia's AirAsia, the region's leading LCC, would be the main occupier of the RM108 million terminal, taking up 24 of the 30 parking bays available.

Newsreports from Malaysia quoted MAHB Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Datuk Bashir Ahmad as welcoming other budget airlines to use the terminal which is expected to be begin operation by March or April next year.

Davis said: "MAHB is currently expecting to service only half of its 10 million passenger capacity from the existing Malaysian budget carrier that is going to use the facility. Tiger Airways is confident it can help raise these figures substantially if we are allowed to fly the Singapore-Kuala Lumpur route."

The KLIA LCC terminal will be five times larger than the new LCC terminal at Singapore's Changi Airport, which can handle around two million passengers a year.

Tiger Airways, which will be the largest user of the Singapore LCC terminal, currently flies to 10 cities in six countries -- Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Macau, the Philippines and Indonesia.

-- BERNAMA

Any possibility? hmmm, let me think.......yes, if and when snow forms in hell first!! biggrin.gif

The highly profitable KUL-SIN sector has and will always be at the vested interests of MH and SQ.........pulling in the Air Asias, Tiger Airways, Jetstars etc into the picture, i reckon, would spell suicide for MH and SQ on that route!

Edited by Jamie H

Any possibility? hmmm, let me think.......yes, if and when snow forms in hell first!!  biggrin.gif

The highly profitable KUL-SIN sector has and will always be at the vested interests of MH and SQ.........pulling in the Air Asias, Tiger Airways, Jetstars etc into the picture, i reckon, would spell suicide for MH and SQ on that route!

12424[/snapback]

Maybe not suicide, but definitely smaller capacity to break-even for both MH and SQ. Here's what happened on the highly profitable LON-AMS route: before EasyJet started LON-AMS (LTN/STN/LGW), both BA and KLM used bigger aircraft, like L1011 and DC8-63....look at them now BA fall back to A319 (LHR) and 737 (LGW) and KLM also back to 737 (LHR), apart from 1 or 2 Boeing 767 flights (these are mainly used for connecting traffic and CARGO)

MH could cope quite easily as it has a narrow-body fleet... its SQ that will really suffer!!! their 777s may be just too big and expensive to operate... but then again, Tiger Airways is a subsidary of SQ? Does this mean if Tiger flies, SQ will pull out?? I doubt it, but then again who knows!!

Air Asia, Jetstar Asia, Tiger Airways, MH, SIA, Air Mauritius, JAL, Sri-Lankan.. wow! That would be great!

Senai might suffer though... Tiger and JQ should just stay in S'pore.. maybe they can fly changi-paya lebar-seletar!?!

Wouldn't be fair to AK right? They've tried in vain for some time to get landing rights to SIN with no success.

[i might be wrong here, please correct me if I was]

Just to add a few more,

Royal Nepal

Air India

Emirates

Myanma

besides the others who operate the KUL-SIN / SIN-KUL route.

I think the possibility of other LCC's coming into KLIA would be NOK AIR, PHUKET AIR (if its a LCC) and perhaps CEBU PACIFIC to name a few. It is very unlikely to see JQ and TIGER in KLIA if they are flying in from SIN.

Unless they start new routes from KLIA, making it their base.... tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

tongue.gif

Just to add a few more,

Royal Nepal

Air India

Emirates

Myanma

besides the others who operate the KUL-SIN / SIN-KUL route.

I think the possibility of other LCC's coming into KLIA would be NOK AIR, PHUKET AIR (if its a LCC) and perhaps CEBU PACIFIC to name a few. It is very unlikely to see JQ and TIGER in KLIA if they are flying in from SIN.

Unless they start new routes from KLIA, making it their base.... tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif

tongue.gif

12508[/snapback]

Does EK flies KUL - SIN ?

Sing Yew,

Their new timetable and press release states that some of their flights will be DXB-SIN-KUL using an A332.

biggrin.gif

12513[/snapback]

I see. So it's just SIN-KUL and not KUL-SIN ?

It'll actually be good if the timing is nicely coordinated with their Oz bound flights.

JAL and Sri Lanka Ailrline also serve KUL-SIN right?

Edited by fairul

sorry for my post above..didnt read sandeep's post...

You guys are forgetting something.......Yes, there are a number of airlines operating the KUL-SIN route vv, but the question is, how many of them actually have fifth-freedom rights? Not many!!

As I said earlier, MH and SQ have a major stranglehold on this sector....I doubt other full-service carriers are allowed to ferry pax in btw, let alone the LCC's!

Edited by Jamie H

Any possibility? hmmm, let me think.......yes, if and when snow forms in hell first!!  biggrin.gif

Hey Jamie, seems that you and I must share the same source for weather info !

Try check out a parallel thread on same subject at the 'other' Malaysian aviation site biggrin.gif

I know, personally, that JL has traffic rights, as I flew "them" on a service-trip before, when KUL-KL-AMS was full (and not allowed on MH at that time) and I was able to fly KUL-JL-SIN-KL-AMS wink.gif

Sign in to follow this