MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MH's Routes Changes in January 2008

What are the mistakes? I am curious...

Ok, the mistakes are:

Firefly Route Map

- There's SZB-JHB. FY don't serve JHB anymore.

- KUA-TGG was marked as MH's route. MH doesn't fly KUA-TGG. FY does.

- FY's PEN-LGK and PEN-KBR are missing.

- IPH is not even dotted. FY served PEN-IPH and SZB-IPH.

MH Route Map

Missing Link

- KUL-BNE

- KUL-XMN

- DXB-BEY

- DXB-IST

- KUL-FRA

- KUL-CDG

Wrong Link

- KUL-NGO

- KUL-Seoul (there's already KUL-ICN)

- KUL-Shantou

- KUL-LHE-KHI (has yet to commence, will only start on 30 March 2008, subject to approval)

- KUL-IST (no more nonstop, now via DXB)

Rozhan....is that flight on EY? That is value for money.

Yes it was, the casserole dish that is, by Noritake. A little touch but goes a long way to show how THAI appreciates passengers' business. And inflight entertainment system as well.

Missing Link

- KUL-BNE

- KUL-XMN

- DXB-BEY

- DXB-IST

- KUL-FRA

- KUL-CDG

They proudly advertise other airlines' routes but forgot their own. How embarassing :rolleyes:

Looking at the routes out of Sao Paulo, you can see there's one route to a Central African "island" labelled "Porto Alegre". First of all, Porto Alegre is a Brazillian city few hundred km southwest of Sao Paulo (Wiki link), and secondly, there is no direct route linking Sao Paulo and Central Africa, nor to the non-existant "island" on the map (neither on TAM nor other airlines).

Edited by Keno Omar

No, no - cannot do that. Why blame MAS for all these inaccuracies ? It's those joint service and codeshare partners punya pasal (Pieter, =concern/fault) If the Brazilians decide to relocate a city of theirs to mid atlantic, what can MAS do ?!

Furthermore, those printers should have done some homework. Tsk tsk ! This is our nation's pride and joy you know (well, a section of the nation anyway)

:pardon:

Edited by BC Tam

I found yet another fantasy island north of Auckland which also seems to have a nonstop link to Sao Paulo.

Perhaps MAS could blame it on plate tectonics :pardon:

Hahahaha..you guys crack me up with your remarks. With a network like that, do we need any other airline in this world? No wonder IJ does not want to join an alliance. It is just not necessary at all! :)

Who knows - we might be able to fly from KUL to Malta via the lost city of Atlantis on their leased 737NG; fully packed with passengers and filled with delicate 'sandwic'es using the finest low weight ingredients to minimise fuel burn.

Rozhan - cannot believe that is what TG offers to EY pax. A few years ago I would have chosen MH anytime over all the other airlines. Noritake dishes huh? Its those little touches that makes people return time and time again. I really hope MH will manage to get more pax but I don't see that happening anytime soon! Not with their current plans anyway.

Edited by Izanee

Hahahaha..you guys crack me up with your remarks. With a network like that, do we need any other airline in this world? No wonder IJ does not want to join an alliance. It is just not necessary at all! :)

Who knows - we might be able to fly from KUL to Malta via the lost city of Atlantis on their leased 737NG; fully packed with passengers and filled with delicate 'sandwic'es using the finest low weight ingredients to minimise fuel burn.

Rozhan - cannot believe that is what TG offers to EY pax. A few years ago I would have chosen MH anytime over all the other airlines. Noritake dishes huh? Its those little touches that makes people return time and time again. I really hope MH will manage to get more pax but I don't see that happening anytime soon! Not with their current plans anyway.

If they really want to display that xtensive network in the magazine, they should first display all of the destinations where codeshare partners go, and available for booking. For instance, SIN-KUL route, in SQ website, you can see a total of 13 flights a day that SQ and MH flies, and you can book the MH flight direct from the website. While in MH website, it only shows 7 exclusive MH flights, blinding their SQ partner. How could they proudly display the network, when you cannot book the codeshare partners online. Will the codeshare partners happy with this arrangement?

7 January - The first MH flight to Lahore (LHE) in Pakistan, which will be tagged along with Karachi (KHI).

After perusing the pdf version of the schedule, it looks like LHE won't be started even until 29 March 2008. Why no announcement made about this?

MH won't start Lahore (LHE) at least before 26 October 2008, now 10 months delayed than originally planned.

MH is closing it's Menara MPPJ Ticketing Office. Cost cutting I suppose. The very empty and quiet Putrajaya Ticketing Office remains in operation perhaps to facilitate government officers I suppose.

MAS shuts Menara MPPJ ticketing office

The Star, Friday March 21, 2008

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia Airlines (MAS) will integrate its ticketing operations with its existing office at KL Sentral in Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur, by ceasing service at Menara MPPJ here.

MAS senior general manager (network and revenue management) Datuk Bernard Francis said the initiative was part of its ongoing efforts to consolidate its Klang Valley direct distribution channel operations for ticketing and related services at one centralised location.

“Our premier ticket office at KL Sentral currently operates daily from 4.30am till 12am,” he said in a statement here yesterday. Francis said the ticketing office at KL Sentral would soon be expanded to cater to more customers.

Looks like they are cutting cost to the brim.....wonder if they can cut some salaries of certain people too :angry:

Anyways, I was reading through this link and found out something interesting about the A380 decision and also the "weakest link" in their hub and spoke concept !!

Read on....

http://www.redorbit.com/news/business/1305...poke_from_2009/

:rolleyes:

Speaking of hub and spoke, MH inked the code share agreement with China Southern Airlines yesterday. The same code share agreements will be signed with Jet Airways and Turkish Airlines in June 2008. I hope this is a good business decision.

MAS initiatives to bring in more sales next year

Friday March 21, 2008

By SHARIDAN M. ALI

GUANGZHOU: Malaysia Airlines expects additional revenue of RM70mil to RM100mil per annum, starting next year, from its global hub and spoke network initiatives. Managing director Datuk Seri Idris Jala said the group would see part of the additional revenue this year.

“The optimal contribution will start next year as we are now in the process of enhancing our network and promoting the cross-selling of services between airlines that we have code-share agreements with,” he said. Jala said this before the formalisation ceremony of a code-share agreement between MAS and China Southern Airlines (CSA) yesterday.

He said the volume of passengers in the network with CSA had doubled since its started last November. From this code-share arrangement, MAS can now offer services to 90 destinations in China from Guangzhou and 38 destinations in China from Beijing using CSA.

“We are leveraging on the strong growth of Chinese outbound travellers and expect to see a 7% increase in the number of passengers for our China-Malaysia flights this year,” he said. CSA chairman Liu Shao Yong said the company had also seen a 10% increase in sales via 300,000 passengers since the code sharing with MAS in November.

Jala also said that MAS planned to sign two more code-share agreements with Turkish Airlines in Turkey and Jet Airways in India by June. “The agreement with Turkish Airlines is expected to fly beyond Istanbul to the rest of central Europe. Currently, we are discussing some technical issues with them.

“Similarly, the code sharing with Jet Airways promises a large network in the Indian continent,” he said. With the inclusion of CSA, MAS had signed seven code-share agreements with airlines globally.

Just a minor update.

MH finally changed the seat covers for B734s. 9M-MMQ now has the red GCCL seats and a colourful EYCL seats with a mixture of red, orange, blue and green seats.

Also, don't forget to book your MH's 0 Fare Asean tickets at midnight tonight.

MH finally changed the seat covers for B734s. 9M-MMQ now has the red GCCL seats and a colourful EYCL seats with a mixture of red, orange, blue and green seats.

But didn't they just change the seat covers on 734 not so long ago ? The exact same colors found on MAS 744/772. Red, Orange, Blue and Green huh ? So very TG. Any picture, Zul ?

MH is closing it's Menara MPPJ Ticketing Office. Cost cutting I suppose. The very empty and quiet Putrajaya Ticketing Office remains in operation perhaps to facilitate government officers I suppose.

Nope, govt offices must acquire their tickets (OGS) thru travel company, not directly from MH offices.

My office is directly infront of Putrajaya MH office and we still go thru travel agent.

Officer personally, yes they may.

Looks like MH has terminated the MYY-HKG (via BKI) direct service, which was launched with such fanfare and optimism not too long ago. Shame :(

I just want to share a few notes from 2 of my best friends whom visited me in CGK last weekend. Both are aspiring professionals and travel a lot on MH but they are not aviation enthusiasts. I suggested them to try EK on one of their sector to which they choosed the CGK-KUL, and here are their short remarks, which they specifically asked me to put it here:

Best Friend 1 Mr. Accountant:

but all pain & aches were relieved when we boarded emirates... simply awesome... & its only an economy class. pity it was just a short journey to KL. emirates is so much better than MAS. if i can afford it, after this if possible i wud try to board emirates je.

Best Friend 2 Mr. Doctor:

agree with Mr. Accountant, emirates is just awesome, i wish MAS can be as good as that, may be azizul can put up suggestion to MAS on how they should improve their service, put up our review in your webpage yang you join tu..... i think they should improve on the internal environment, the color is too dull, change the uniform especially the male steward, and to smile and be more friendly, i naik MAS biz class g KT pun tak best, tak friendly langsung, may be just a domestic flight.....

That is their first impression towards EK that will last forever. Pity MH!

Best Friend 2 Mr. Doctor:

..... and to smile and be more friendly, i naik MAS biz class g KT pun tak best, tak friendly langsung, may be just a domestic flight.....

That is their first impression towards EK that will last forever. Pity MH!

I find Mr Doctor's comments more disturbing. From previous discussions, it seemed to me that the 5* cabin crew warmth was the saving grace over and above all the other cut backs. Does this suggest that even this element is going down the drain ? :(

Looks like MH has terminated the MYY-HKG (via BKI) direct service, which was launched with such fanfare and optimism not too long ago. Shame :(

Tourists and students traffic is seasonal, better catered by chartered flights. MH should stick to hub (KUL) and spokes system instead of fulfilling politicians wish. Every politician and his dog in this country want his local airport to have direct flights to LHR, HKG, SYD, PER, BKK, SIN, MEL, LAX, JFK, MCO, NRT, CPT, HRE.

:drinks:

Every politician and his dog in this country want his local airport to have direct flights to LHR, HKG, SYD, PER, BKK, SIN, MEL, LAX, JFK, MCO, NRT, CPT, HRE.

And why have you delibrately and maliciously omitted BKI from that list, we are the centre of the universe after all !!

[ :rofl: initially, but after reflection :( ]

From the Business times online!

For all those who keep saying that MH pax keeps increasing. With its world renowned service fading away, poor inflight entertainment and rubbish food - people are getting better deals elsewhere.

MAS Q1 net profit slips

By Zaidi Isham Ismail Published: 2008/05/21

PDF

EMAIL

PRINT

CURRENCY CONVERTER

LARGER TYPE

SMALLER TYPE

The carrier's passenger load factor was lower at 69.2 per cent and it spent RM1.4 billion for fuel compared with RM1.1 billion previously

MALAYSIA Airlines' (MAS) net profit in the first quarter ended March 31 2008 slipped 10 per cent to RM120 million from RM132.7 million in the same quarter a year ago due to fewer air travellers and higher jet fuel prices.

In the period under review, passenger load factor was lower at 69.2 per cent. However, it was the national carrier's seventh consecutive quarterly profit.

MAS' revenue increased six per cent to RM3.7 billion from RM3.5 billion, but expenditure rose 6.5 per cent to RM3.6 billion from RM3.3 billion, of which 28 per cent went to pay for costlier fuel.

MAS forked out RM1.4 billion for fuel compared with RM1.1 billion previously.

Cargo arm Malaysia Airlines Cargo Sdn Bhd (MASkargo) saw its profit improved to RM36 million.

MAS managing director and chief executive officer Datuk Seri Idris Jala said the airline was proud to have sustained its profitability despite the tough operating environment.

"It will be tough to sustain business performance for the rest of the year due to high oil prices and the uncertain global economy, but we accept the good, the bad and the ugly sides of the business," he said.

The second quarter is traditionally MAS' weakest.

"Our aspirational financial target remains and we will work hard to achieve it,"

Idris told reporters at the company's training headquarters in Selangor yesterday when announcing the quarterly results.

Analysts are forecasting MAS to make a net profit of between RM750 million and RM1 billion this year.

Idris said the downtrend is in line with the challenging times for global airlines, many of which are already seeing lower profits and have issued profit warnings.

The International Air Transport Association has also revised global traffic growth downwards to four per cent from six per cent.

Idris said that oil price, which has surged more than 40 per cent since the beginning of the year to a record high of US$127.2 (RM413.4) a barrel, is a major concern.

"We expect oil price to remain high and MAS has actively mitigated the rise with fuel hedge, fuel efficiency, fuel surcharge and the 'Every Day Low Fares' campaign."

It is also trimming cost by identifying closer alternate airports, revising taxi fuel policy at stations and optimising uplift of fuel, water and meals.

MAS is also adjusting its fuel surcharge on a route-by-route basis