MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MH's Routes Changes in January 2008

HERE'S MY RANT TO NST....LET'S HOPE IT IS NOT TOO CONTROVERSIAL TO GET PUBLISHED. YOU KNOW WHAT OUR PRESS IS LIKE!

Well done again Izanee! To me, you are our ADVOCATES, bringing justice to all Malaysians in general. But why when it comes to something like this, the efforts have to come from MW members who are abroad (Yorkshire, United Kingdom in your case)? What are those (the majority of whom) in Malaysia contribute (in this sense I mean)?

Azizul, you are a nobody? I've always thought u were a somebod in the aviation world...w all the great things u have convey to us MWingers..the rumours et al.

No, I am not at the moment. But I have close relationships with many people who are in the know of the industry.

Shall I get acclimatized to the desert?

Better pay, package and aircraft in the sand pit, why not?

Good Luck!

:drinks:

Edited by KK Lee

thank you azizul for your kind words. much appreciated!

radzi - i know two people who moved to the desert. they seem to be doing extremely well. one pilots the 777, the other the A340-600. two different airlines!

MAS international passenger traffic for Nov 2007 is DOWN. Surprise surprise!

IJ's plan is not as good as he says it is.

FROM BUSINESS TIMES ONLINE:

MAS 'attractive' even with oil price hitting US$100

The research house says it will revisit its earnings forecast for MAS if oil still hovers above US$95 by the middle of next month

Published: 2008/01/09

MALAYSIAN Airline System Bhd (MAS) remains an attractive stock despite oil prices touching US$100 (RM327) a barrel.

"Our estimates incorporate oil at an effective price of US$87 (RM284) per barrel for (MAS') financial year ending December 31 2008. As such, given MAS' 29 per cent hedge at an oil cost of US$79 (RM258) per barrel, our earnings (estimate) can still hold up to US$100 per barrel oil as long as this situation is not prolonged," OSK Research Sdn Bhd's senior vice-president, Chris Eng, said in a report on Monday.

He said the local research house will revisit its earnings forecast for MAS if oil still hovers above US$95 (RM311) by the middle of next month.

"Based on November operating statistics, international passenger traffic was below our expectation, but cargo traffic was above, indicating that MAS is still able to grow its cargo business despite the high fuel surcharges turning away some customers," he added.

Eng also reckons that the national carrier's withdrawal of its commission to local travel agencies, effective this month, will have minimal impact on its earnings as the move has already been factored in.

"This had previously been announced, but there is now a service charge from the travel agents as well as at MAS ticket centres to balance off the lost revenue for the agents. With this zero commission, we see Malaysian travel agents evolving into more of travel advisers rather than just ticket printers," he said.

Eng also noted the slight delay in the airline's Business Transformation Plan, which the research house had expected to be announced early this month.

"It appears that the announcement of the Business Transformation Plan by MAS may be delayed slightly to end-January or February.

"We do not view this as a cause for concern, but rather that MAS wants to ensure that its plan is watertight before announcing it," he said, maintaining his "Buy" call on the stock at a fair value of RM6.40.

Some pointers:

SQ announced double daily to ZRH.

SQ will be doing 4 flights a day to Sydney soon - one A380, 2 747s and one 777W.... rejoice rejoice!

SQ will be doing 4 flights a day to Sydney soon - one A380, 2 747s and one 777W.... rejoice rejoice!

SQ doing 4 daily to SYD and 3 daily to LHR and MH cuts down LHR to2 daily and SYD has become a circus with a tag on to BNE on the way back to KUL. :rolleyes:

IIRC, MH used to fly to Darwin, Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney & Cairns. Under the 5*at LCC cost concept, perhaps MH should consider fly KUL-PER-ADL-MEL-SYD-BNE-CNS-DRW-KUL with B734

..... perhaps MH should consider fly KUL-PER-ADL-MEL-SYD-BNE-CNS-DRW-KUL with B734

Not technically feasible - insufficient storage space for the wonderful sand-wic snackboxes required :)

IIRC, MH used to fly to Darwin, Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney & Cairns. Under the 5*at LCC cost concept, perhaps MH should consider fly KUL-PER-ADL-MEL-SYD-BNE-CNS-DRW-KUL with B734

I hope your suggestion is just a mere joke.

If that happens. I would cancel all my forward bookings with MH and escape to SQ.

One stop on the way to ADL is still acceptable if there're no choice. But the journey back to KUL with all the stops are just unimaginable. And as BC mentioned. I wouldn't want to be served 5 cheapo-looking snack boxes for the journey back to KUL.

Edited by Sing Yew

And as BC mentioned. I wouldn't want to be served 5 cheapo snack boxes for the journey back to KUL.

Why not? Surely 7 (you've mis-counted the number of connections) legendary and delightful sawdust 'sand-wic' boxes will beat 2 traditional meals hands down. No?

I hope your suggestion is just a mere joke.

If that happens. I would cancel all my forward bookings with MH and escape to SQ.

One stop on the way to ADL is still acceptable if there're no choice. But the journey back to KUL with all the stops are just unimaginable. And as BC mentioned. I wouldn't want to be served 5 cheapo snack boxes for the journey back to KUL.

(1) His suggestion is dead serious. Go on..jump ship to dear SQ.

(2) What? You don't like snackboxes? Then you must be one of the miserable 7% that do not LOVE the snackboxes. And get your facts right...the boxes are not that cheap. (The contents may be something else, though)

Why not? Surely 7 (you've mis-counted the number of connections) legendary and delightful sawdust 'sand-wic' boxes will beat 2 traditional meals hands down. No?
Actually it's 6. Since if I'm returning to Malaysia, the it would be ADL - MEL - SYD - BNE - CNS - DRW - KUL.So assuming that they dish out one snack box for each sector, I'd be getting 6 of them.We don't get 2 traditional meals now for the ADL - KUL sector. Just lunch (not a full tray) and a breadroll with fillings in it for refreshments prior to landing. The same applies for the MEL - KUL sector as well.
(1) His suggestion is dead serious. Go on..jump ship to dear SQ.(2) What? You don't like snackboxes? Then you must be one of the miserable 7% that do not LOVE the snackboxes. And get your facts right...the boxes are not that cheap. (The contents may be something else, though)
I am seriously considering jumping ship. The only remaining appeal towards MH now is that the flights are nonstop.No I don't like what I see inside the snackboxes. In fact, I think the survey may have been doctored in order for them to get the desired results.I didn't intend to imply that the cost of those boxes are cheap, what I was trying to say was that what's inside those boxes look cheap. Sorry if I implied otherwise.

i doubt you will get six snack boxes. if you've already had one, that is it. no more. that way, they might just make that route work. ;)

Not technically feasible - insufficient storage space for the wonderful sand-wic snackboxes required :)

i pity that poor fella going from kul to drw...

i pity that poor fella going from kul to drw...

He'll be fine...he will enjoy the wonderful snackboxes together with 93% of fellow MH travellers. But, after arriving in DRW, he'll probably stay away from sandwic-es (sic) for several years after suffering from a sand-wic overdose.

More likely than not he'll stay away from MH too, for good !

That is if you're talking about your ordinary Joe Bloke.

Some of us here may just prefer such a routing, I'll give it a go if opportunity arises ! :)

Guest Michael

Does anybody know when the fleet renewal will start and what new products will be launched?

hope he doesn't get any tummy upset from eating too many capsicums. or maybe we should name it 'kapsikum' to match 'sandwic' ...

Edited by Izanee

hope he doesn't get any tummy upset from eating too many capsicums. or maybe we should name it 'kapsikum' to match 'sandwic' ...

In order to maintain its '5 star' status, MH can't let the pax has too much of capsicums. They could load up sandwic with Aussie ham in ADL, meat pie in SYD and banana in CNS.

They can even add AKL in their itinerary : KUL-PER-ADL-MEL-SYD-BNE-AKL-CNS-DRW-KUL :clapping:

okay folks let be serious,

Lets just look at MH fleet here: -

I suppose one possible reasons is the equipment - capacity problem here. there is a wide gap between the 333 (almost 300 seater) and 734 ( abput 150 seater). Some sectors and frequency need an aircraft in between the 2 (i.e. a 200 -250 seater) ; this is where they would be really $^&%&^%& if 787's is not purchased. The 332 may fit nicely, but the number of such aircraft is limited in MH and the GCC seats , is a bit too much for our Malaysian Market!, why on earth do u need 40 + GCC seats when most Malaysians are only willing to pay for the cheapest seats ( unlike our SQ counterpart).

ZRH / MAN and even YVR / MUC may have worked well for MH , if they could use smaller aircraft with regular frequencies. As an example, we all know that MH enjoys good load but low (leisure) yield to MAN and ZRH good CLUB demand but low load at the back; then why can't they just operate KUL - ZRH - MAN ? Say daily 772 or 332 ( during low season) ? Business comunity would appreciate the daily link to one of the main financial capital and it could also provide good leisure traffic and link for the Kangaroo tourists.

MH management too slow in introducing innovative products. Okay we may not like TR 019 days, but it needs to be appreciated that he managed to execute the introduction of the newest aircraft then (772) fast ; faster then SQ and not forgetting the intro. of PTVs in EYCL was much quicker then TG / BA / KE / JL OR EVEN CX!. Airline industry today is progressing as fast as lighting these days...

...to be continued

The rate MH is going and losing international pie, they might as well do away with the 380s and 747s and operate a fleet of 737s (which they are famoud for) and probably T7s or 330s. No point having the biggies if you don't even have the pax. What a sad tale to tell when u see airlines all over mushrooming but our national airlines reduced to snack box size - malu aje!

Wont be surprise next time AK become the national pride and MH .... skytrax regrade to 5 star economy class airlines with its signature snack box service. I can see the brandling line now .... if you are travelling cattle class - MH is your 5 star preferred airlines!

I think MAS has kind of a hen-egg problem: I can not offer enough frequencies on good routes, so I don't attract enough (high yield) biz-pax. Because I do not have enouge high yield biz-pax I can not justify for enough frequencies.

So i close another good route and wonder that I lose even more pax...

One of my teachers of my university days once told me: The only way to get away of recession is massive expansion, and not shrinking, as the cost per unit gets even higher (the big overheads don't change that much, but you transport/produce less), which makes you even less competitive.

Another thing is the necessity of diversification: You have to stand out compared to your competitors in something to be successful: SQ has created it's singapore dream and offers a good network. EK offers cheap fares on Y and makes a lot of press because of its sheer size.

MH? Once it was known for one of the best service products _AND_ a good network. But these days seem to vanish fast.

I honestly think that some of you lot would be good in replacing the current MAS management, as it seems that you guys have better vision and in depth knowledge of what's happening in the aviation industry..

The current management is just slow and seems to be out of touch..and i've got a feeling that they're starting to believe in their own hype as a 5 star airline..but for how long?..

I can only hope for the best.. :mellow: