MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Izanee

MAS is better placed than SIA or Thai in ASEAN? You must be joking!

An example of which can be viewed at Museum Negara. Gosh! It is already a museum exhibit :D

You know what's worst, we are old enough to have been around when they were on the road. Many of the young guys here would have no idea what were are talking about. Happy New Year guys!

I'd call it 'SS', not the once feared German one, but syiok sendiri @ perasan:)

SS, memang pun...

MH wants to has a 5 stars bas ekspress with low cost price, does it make sense? fuhhhh yooo

Guest Michael

Maybe there is still hope for MAS, Idris remains determined I think.

hahaha...rozhan. i can't believe its a museum exhibit!

i remember the good ol' days when i was in school...that was THE way to get around - no LRT/monorail etc etc!

hahaha...rozhan. i can't believe its a museum exhibit!

i remember the good ol' days when i was in school...that was THE way to get around - no LRT/monorail etc etc!

He he.... It was the choice mode of transportation if one needs to get to one's destination fast, albeit having to be squeezed like a can of sardines throughout the journey, and perhaps offensive body odours of other pax whose arms had to cling on the overhead handstraps, exposing their underarms to the max!!

Some drivers tend to drive like crazy and got stage bus drivers fuming. I witnessed an incident aboard a Sri Jaya bus I was on. There was this Bas Mini driver who rudely swerved to the side of the road (to stop) and blocked the bus I was on. The Sri Jaya driver and conductor came down the bus, went to the Bas Mini driver and punched him a few times!!

Those were the days......

Alan, I guess we are old already :D

<_< What a piece of @#%$!$ statement!

MH uses the antique old and dirty 734s ( not forgetting no IFEs) for most of the regional flights whereas others have newer aircraft with good IFE ( even the flying time is less than 1 1/2 hours)

... not forgetting we could only get just sandwiches instead of hot meals!

Okay, those pack food may only be well appreciated for flights that are less than one hour (not 3 hours) or during the month of Ramadhan.

He he.... It was the choice mode of transportation if one needs to get to one's destination fast, albeit having to be squeezed like a can of sardines throughout the journey, and perhaps offensive body odours of other pax whose arms had to cling on the overhead handstraps, exposing their underarms to the max!!

Some drivers tend to drive like crazy and got stage bus drivers fuming. I witnessed an incident aboard a Sri Jaya bus I was on. There was this Bas Mini driver who rudely swerved to the side of the road (to stop) and blocked the bus I was on. The Sri Jaya driver and conductor came down the bus, went to the Bas Mini driver and punched him a few times!!

Those were the days......

Alan, I guess we are old already :D

Encik Rozhan, most of our young readers here have no privilege of experiencing this BMW (Bas Mini Wilayah) much less "Abang Basri" (Bas Sri Jaya - KL's biggest bus companies, then, circa late 70's to 1997)

MAS on the other hand was around all those time, yet they remains content to be in the past, follower rather than a leader. So sad. Hope MAS will soar again....

Given that the predicament MH is in at this moment, it does not look very promising for an airliner of this (previously) magnitude to regain its grounds. History has repeated itself many times over Fortune 500 companies across the globe. For one, it is good that IJ embarked on the exercise to trim the carrier's fat but he is not very careful about certain sensitivities, in the end, he trimmed the very much needed muscles that is to push the ailriner in the future. He may currently has an entity that is reknowned for its service but not for long as service quality is derived from human elements, which one of it is pride and proud to work for a good company with excellent product to offer - that part has eroded and very soon, many of the FAs are going to feel so demotivated when more and more pax complain about the aircarft as well as the IFEs and food. Routes are one of the critical biz issues what more a critical success factors of an airline which has been backseated by IJ over financial indicators, hence, the beanding of MH and the impression its creates out of this downsizing intervention may result is pax opting for other expanding airlines of reputation, trying to gain back lost customers are harder that creating new ones - this is another faux pas in the airline biz. But then hey, in biz nowadays, it is the financial indicators that talk! My 2 cents!

DavidC

Encik Rozhan, most of our young readers here have no privilege of experiencing this BMW (Bas Mini Wilayah) much less "Abang Basri" (Bas Sri Jaya - KL's biggest bus companies, then, circa late 70's to 1997)

MAS on the other hand was around all those time, yet they remains content to be in the past, follower rather than a leader. So sad. Hope MAS will soar again....

Thanks for reminding me of the 'BMW' moniker, although the bus was a Mercedes-Benz :D! Amazing isn't it..... while the lowly, zero 'star' bus services in KL has modernize by leaps and bounds, MAS is still in the pits, despite all the help the gov has extended to it all these while, not to mention passengers who have spent billions of dollars to fly them.

Now that I don't ride on KL buses as much, I can only feel how blessed the commuters of today to have clean aircond buses and low fares, plus the various LRT...., when all we had in the past were the 'BMWs' and hot and stuffy stage buses with suffocating black diesel smoke!

As much as I dislike most service based industry in Malaysia, I'd have to concur with the news article this time.

In my personal opinion, MAS cabin crew are generally friendlier and more helpful than their SIA counterparts... especially in the economy class.

Myself and a few of Singaporean friends have experienced racial bias on board SIA flights... You get a feeling that there is some sort of elitist atitude amongst the cabin crew whereby there is preferential treatment against the favour of Asians.

However, I cannot comment on the Business/First class service on SIA flights as I havent used it before.

SS for Syok Sendiri is one..

I would also says SS for "Self Sarcastic". We all know how MH is really is nowadays.

Azuddin

i remember bmw! i'm afraid to say that mas may probably never win back the customers it dumped during their current downsizing of routes.

i remember bmw! i'm afraid to say that mas may probably never win back the customers it dumped during their current downsizing of routes.

The way they are doing things, indeed many will forever forget MAS. I for one, am disgusted with their sneaky fuel surcharge increases and RM15 ticket charge issued at the office. I wouldn't have been so disgusted had they informed customers earlier before such surcharge take place. I think it was patently rude. On the RM15 charge.... we are paying them money for the trip already, and they want so more??? To pay for their office upkeep, printer toners, electricity, water, pantry supplies, tea ladies, aircond maintenance etc etc??!

In my personal opinion, MAS cabin crew are generally friendlier and more helpful than their SIA counterparts... especially in the economy class.

Friendly cc is not unique or exclusive to MH, AK cc are similarly friendly.

:drinks:

Myself and a few of Singaporean friends have experienced racial bias on board SIA flights... You get a feeling that there is some sort of elitist atitude amongst the cabin crew whereby there is preferential treatment against the favour of Asians.

That is definitely a big misconception. I have flown SQ for many years since I was 1 year old and I don't ever recall them having preferential treatments towards the ang moh. I have flown them in business and first class too and I found they are just as friendly to everyone. MAS' cabin crews are quite okay, they just lacked the proper training, efficiency, and grace that SQ has. But in terms of friendliness, they may just as good as SQ.

Friendly cc is not unique or exclusive to MH, AK cc are similarly friendly.

:drinks:

i agree...maybe its because we are malaysian?? however, i must say that a lot of SQ stewardesses are malaysian too!

i agree...maybe its because we are malaysian?? however, i must say that a lot of SQ stewardesses are malaysian too!

and pilots... and engineers...

true dennis... so how many singaporeans actually work for sq ??

i remember reading the article about the msa split...it mentioned that a lot of the staff decided that sq will provide better job security so they went across.

From what I know and with the cabin crew that I speak to, I see no reason for them to be biased/elitist towards non Asian customers. This is all a hyped out thing by 'local passengers (Malaysian/Singaporean)' who feel inferior to their foreign counterparts.

I have never heard of any China, Korean, Japanese, Indian, Filipino or Thai passenger who ever had anything to say about the SQ cabin crew service standard (bias/elitist). So it only makes even more case that this is truly a unique 'local passenger profile' issue. Why the need for such insecurity? Perhaps the 'locals' are trying too hard to outlive the social and cultural heritage of foreign colonication and supremacy in this region that has been around for many years.

Culturally, the 'Kiasu' bug syndrome lives with both Singaporean and Malaysians. And yes, hear me say that. Malaysians are somewhat 'Kiasu' in their own way as well. Hence, their expectations are very high indeed whenever they travel on SQ services. And most, I reiterate again, most, passengers of this 'local' had only travel by SQ itself and never gave a chance to sample what other foreign airline can offer them in terms or 'service' Sometimes, I think these group of 'locals' deserved a slap in their face. And when these group of 'locals' travel, they demand a lot of unnecessary things to test how much service/upgrades can be rendered to them. When things do not work in their favours, they will cry bias/elitist again. In comparison, our 'White Men' are all well behaved throughout the entire journey. At most, serve them the alcohol and they will sleep happily after that.

Demanding upgrading for family members holding economy ticket, Cancelling special meal request and asking for business class food, Seated in business class and asking to serve business class meals to their family seated in eonomy, Throwing tantrum hoping to get cash and shopping vouchers. This are just a few. These people never had a family member who works as a cabin crew. So they will never spare a thought for those who are serving them. And oh no, cabin crew do not treat passengers like faceless people.

I can type endlessly about all the stupid and shameful things but it will be a wate of bandwith and your reading time here. So please feel free to approach me when I am not clicking in Obs Hill and I am more than willing to share with you what actually transpires to this bias/elitist stuff is all about.

My 0.02 cents.....

what you say is quite true. it is the same for patients as well. asian patients (and their relatives), on many occasions, give us so much grief. I don't know why that is. Their pain threshold is lower as well.

We are used to have 40-50 year old ladies who have 'pain all over' when in fact nothing is wrong with them.

in fact ...we call it the Dal syndrome...

'Dying asian lady' !!!

..... And oh no, cabin crew do not treat passengers like faceless people

Try flying with China Southern !

(ok to be fair, not ALL cabin crew) :)

From what I know and with the cabin crew that I speak to, I see no reason for them to be biased/elitist towards non Asian customers. This is all a hyped out thing by 'local passengers (Malaysian/Singaporean)' who feel inferior to their foreign counterparts.

I have never heard of any China, Korean, Japanese, Indian, Filipino or Thai passenger who ever had anything to say about the SQ cabin crew service standard (bias/elitist). So it only makes even more case that this is truly a unique 'local passenger profile' issue. Why the need for such insecurity? Perhaps the 'locals' are trying too hard to outlive the social and cultural heritage of foreign colonication and supremacy in this region that has been around for many years.

Culturally, the 'Kiasu' bug syndrome lives with both Singaporean and Malaysians. And yes, hear me say that. Malaysians are somewhat 'Kiasu' in their own way as well. Hence, their expectations are very high indeed whenever they travel on SQ services. And most, I reiterate again, most, passengers of this 'local' had only travel by SQ itself and never gave a chance to sample what other foreign airline can offer them in terms or 'service' Sometimes, I think these group of 'locals' deserved a slap in their face. And when these group of 'locals' travel, they demand a lot of unnecessary things to test how much service/upgrades can be rendered to them. When things do not work in their favours, they will cry bias/elitist again. In comparison, our 'White Men' are all well behaved throughout the entire journey. At most, serve them the alcohol and they will sleep happily after that.

Demanding upgrading for family members holding economy ticket, Cancelling special meal request and asking for business class food, Seated in business class and asking to serve business class meals to their family seated in eonomy, Throwing tantrum hoping to get cash and shopping vouchers. This are just a few. These people never had a family member who works as a cabin crew. So they will never spare a thought for those who are serving them. And oh no, cabin crew do not treat passengers like faceless people.

I can type endlessly about all the stupid and shameful things but it will be a wate of bandwith and your reading time here. So please feel free to approach me when I am not clicking in Obs Hill and I am more than willing to share with you what actually transpires to this bias/elitist stuff is all about.

My 0.02 cents.....

I agree with you in many aspect. I have heard of Hong Kongers complaining that CX crew are rude to their own people (the Chinese) but bow towards any Caucasian customers. I have been on both SQ and CX before. I don't feel I am being discriminated upon in anyway at all. I spoke Cantonese onboard CX to the crews and spoke English to their foreign crew. I was asked many times if I was from HK by the crew when I talked to them. While I was onboard on SQ flight and I spoke to ethnic Chinese SQ crew in Mandarin and non ethnic Chinese crew in English. I told them I am Malaysian, but none of them carries any negative attitude towards me. Thats all based on my experience with CX from HKG-AKL return and SQ from SIN-AKL return. I wouldn't say if they are better or worse than MH, I think they are on par with each other.

It could also be that Caucasians are more of a conversationalist type than an average Asian. Asians appeared to be more reserve. So when you see Caucasians talking to the F/A, it is likely that the misconception begins from there onwards. Manners also play an important part. Many pax, especially mainland Chinese, treats the F/A rudely and ask for unreasonable stuff in a rude manner. Some made me like to throw them some punches if I am allowed. How would the F/A feel if they are being treated badly? I guess we cannot always expect thing coming from one side only.

There is also a probable tendency which I think, Malaysian (probably incl. myself) likes to generalise matters and person. (For example - all Singaporeans are kiasuists). Malaysians tended to be ultra sensitive when it comes to racism or discriminating attitude. I visited one forum lately and there is this annoying lady kept claiming that Australian and westerners in general are racist, while she knows very little about the country and have only been there once or twice. But no mention of how bad the situation is in her own country :blink:.

I guess if we do care to approach and open ourselves to talk to the crews, you may see things in a different light? My 0.02 cents.

Can anybody tell me this, I was on a night flight from TGG to SZB. I was reading a newspaper. When the light went off for take off, the cabin crew switch on the light for a caucasian seating in front and the back of me. But not mine. Of course its nothing much but what do you see from this? Tell me they are not bias?

hahaha...what sort of paper were you reading man? That is so bloody blatant. I notice it on occasions. Not all the time though.