MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Now where does China Southern send their A380s to? From what I know they use that domestically between Beijing and Guangzhou. The ever congested airspace in China make sense too to have less frequency with smaller birds but more density with bigger birds.

I would like to see Air China increase their 747-8i orders though!

For international routes CZ using their A380 to LAX and AMS if I'm not mistaken

To LHR! Everyone flies their A380 to LHR.

Nope, CZ's 787-8 flies to LHR direct from CAN.

So far only AMS and LAX are CZ's A380 destinations, though they did use them to SYD for a little while. Apparently CZ uses their A380 for CAN-PEK and CAN-SHA (Hongqiao) routes.

Malaysia Airlines plans possible A380 wet-lease operation

As market conditions continue to make it difficult to offload its redundant Airbus A380 fleet, Malaysia Airlines is developing an innovative project to keep its six aircraft flying through the formation of an exclusive Super Jumbo wet-lease business. Although it remains the airlines goal to try and sell the aircraft when it replaces them with new A350 equipment in 2018 and 2019, it believes an alternate option may be required.
Speaking during a fireside interview at the World Routes Strategy Summit in Chengdu, China, Peter Bellew, chief executive officer, Malaysia Airlines said: “I don’t want to see them depart to the desert or remain parked in Kuala Lumpur. We are working on a project to keep them flying.”

Malaysia Airlines plans possible A380 wet-lease operation

As market conditions continue to make it difficult to offload its redundant Airbus A380 fleet, Malaysia Airlines is developing an innovative project to keep its six aircraft flying through the formation of an exclusive Super Jumbo wet-lease business. Although it remains the airlines goal to try and sell the aircraft when it replaces them with new A350 equipment in 2018 and 2019, it believes an alternate option may be required.
Speaking during a fireside interview at the World Routes Strategy Summit in Chengdu, China, Peter Bellew, chief executive officer, Malaysia Airlines said: “I don’t want to see them depart to the desert or remain parked in Kuala Lumpur. We are working on a project to keep them flying.”

PB went to Chengdu with Benyamin D7's CEO, both used D7same flight...Lolx

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKuidoFAYJl/?taken-by=bellewpeter

Bagus PB kipidap!

Really looking forward to see the wet lease customers.

Imagine EK flight but on MH A380 with MH crews based in DXB.

Since he is talking about a high density configuration, why not wet lease it to D7? They can equip the top deck with their two class product while MH can continue using the lower deck in 3 class configuration. D7 can then instantly restart their London flight with double daily frequency!

PB went to Chengdu with Benyamin D7's CEO, both used D7same flight...Lolx

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKuidoFAYJl/?taken-by=bellewpeter

Did he get free tickets?

Since he is talking about a high density configuration, why not wet lease it to D7? They can equip the top deck with their two class product while MH can continue using the lower deck in 3 class configuration. D7 can then instantly restart their London flight with double daily frequency!

Did he get free tickets?

Erm, I don't think AirAsia X will be that suicidal to engage A380 for London. 840 (max capacity) is a lot, lot of seats to fill. Lolx.

I think PB gets a discount for the flight, most airlines have reciprocal gentlemen agreement for one another.

Erm, I don't think AirAsia X will be that suicidal to engage A380 for London. 840 (max capacity) is a lot, lot of seats to fill. Lolx.

840 seats is the current economy class capacity on both decks of the MH A380 (2 x 420).

Anyway, I doubt the Airasia group will ever "mess around" with MH again. It is an emotional issue for many and it is best that they pursue separate business paths.

Did he get free tickets?

Maybe offer zero fare but make him pay MAHB, meals, luggage, insurance, processing fee, etc etc :D

Malaysia Air Says London Fare Cuts Are Luring Travelers From BA

Malaysia Airlines Bhd. Chief Executive Officer Peter Bellew said fare cuts aimed at boosting passenger numbers on Kuala Lumpur-London flights are bearing fruit, with the carrier’s market share up 9 percentage points in the past 11 weeks.
The Asian company, which saw passenger confidence slump after two fatal crashes in 2014, now accounts for 53 percent of traffic between the two cities, up from 40 percent as recently as May, Bellew, who took over on July 1, said in an interview. British Airways has a 20 percent market share, he said.
Malaysia Air has begun selling return tickets between Kuala Lumpur and London for as little as £399 ($491), undercutting BA by 4 to 5 percent, Bellew said. It offers 2,000 seats a day on two Airbus Group SE A380 flights, versus about 500 at the U.K. carrier, which has a single Boeing Co. 787 service.
Full report:

Malaysia Air Says London Fare Cuts Are Luring Travelers From BA

Malaysia Airlines Bhd. Chief Executive Officer Peter Bellew said fare cuts aimed at boosting passenger numbers on Kuala Lumpur-London flights are bearing fruit, with the carrier’s market share up 9 percentage points in the past 11 weeks.
The Asian company, which saw passenger confidence slump after two fatal crashes in 2014, now accounts for 53 percent of traffic between the two cities, up from 40 percent as recently as May, Bellew, who took over on July 1, said in an interview. British Airways has a 20 percent market share, he said.
Malaysia Air has begun selling return tickets between Kuala Lumpur and London for as little as £399 ($491), undercutting BA by 4 to 5 percent, Bellew said. It offers 2,000 seats a day on two Airbus Group SE A380 flights, versus about 500 at the U.K. carrier, which has a single Boeing Co. 787 service.
Full report:

How's the yield though. No point getting good loads but crap yields.

I think right now, PB is just looking to increasing revenue - this was stated in his previous interview. Empty A380s don't bring in revenue and it is not good for morale too. He needs more bums on seats - more people to experience MH again. Yields can then be bumped up during high seasons.

How's the yield though. No point getting good loads but crap yields.

I think right now, PB is just looking to increasing revenue - this was stated in his previous interview. Empty A380s don't bring in revenue and it is not good for morale too. He needs more bums on seats - more people to experience MH again. Yields can then be bumped up during high seasons.

While I agree, MH has been using this approach (if true) for a bit too long.

WHilst nothing new to most of you, it seems there is further development to wet lease the 380s post 2017 for pilgrimage flights.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-malaysia-airlines-a-idUSKCN12J2SR

Talks are probably on-going with usual suspects like Tabung Haji.

Indonesia would be another obvious choice but infrastructure limitations there may curtail any immediate hopes in that market.

Saudia is the other target wet lease candidate. But that will kill Eaglexpress. 700 seat cattle mover, hmmmmmm...

Edited by flee

There are about 230 airports and alternate airports today that can handle A380, potentially up to 405. If MAS can establish a niche A380 charter market, I think they will be in for the win. Travel groups, MICE, Hajj. customized tours group, high rollers etc....

http://www.airbus.com/fileadmin/media_gallery/files/brochures_publications/aircraft_families/A380_airport_compatibility_network.pdf (See Slide #3)

http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamilies/passengeraircraft/a380family/a380airportcompatibility/

Saudia operating to where?

Dhaka? Pakistan? Can the airports DAC, ISB, KHI etc. take A380s?

ISB and KHI are both A380 capable. Dhaka is potential airport to develop.

Edited by JuliusWong

Actually, MH should not only be depending on Tabung Haji for Haj and Umrah business. They could operate scheduled A380s to JED all the time and sell the seats to charter organisations in ASEAN.

Many from Indonesia already transit in KL for their flights - so why shouldn't MH start marketing Haj and Umrah charters in Indonesia? Same for Singapore and Thai muslims.

Actually, MH should not only be depending on Tabung Haji for Haj and Umrah business. They could operate scheduled A380s to JED all the time and sell the seats to charter organisations in ASEAN.

Many from Indonesia already transit in KL for their flights - so why shouldn't MH start marketing Haj and Umrah charters in Indonesia? Same for Singapore and Thai muslims.

Brunei, The Philippines and those in interior and southern part of China too! :)

And here is Bloomberg's report.

Unloved A380 Gets Lifeline With Plan for 700-Seat Hajj Carrier:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-19/mass-muslim-pilgrimage-to-boost-unloved-a380-under-malaysia-plan

Believe pb is putting the cart in front of the horse, blaming a380 capacity instead of his failure to lure more pax particularly ex Aus to connect to lhr. If current strategy persists, doubt mab will be profitable sustainably in 2018 and even with a359 on kul-lhr.

Believe pb is putting the cart in front of the horse, blaming a380 capacity instead of his failure to lure more pax particularly ex Aus to connect to lhr. If current strategy persists, doubt mab will be profitable sustainably in 2018 and even with a359 on kul-lhr.

I tend to agree on this - I am not sure why KUL-SYD/MEL are not A380 routes if there is sufficient pax for those services. Also PB mentioned that the A380's economics is best when the route is about 8-9 hours flying time. So, KUL-SYD/MEL would fall into that sweet spot.

The Bloomberg report also mentioned that a separate unit (maybe another subsidiary of the MAG) will be set up to operate these wet lease/charter operations - we used to have MAS Charters, so it might be a similar type of unit. This will take the A380s off MAB's books. It would be very interesting if the new unit starts making profits with an all A380 fleet!

Edited by flee