MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

I flew MH1 2 weeks ago and about to fly MH2 in 2 days time. They also pushed forward the departure time of both flights by about 30mins, so on MH1 we were scheduled to depart at 930pm instead of the original 10pm, but due to a delay we left at 10 anyway. AFAIK that's the only timing update we got.

Also, do MH 380 flights still switch on the tail cameras now? The cam wasn't on for takeoff and landing for MH 1.

Thanks. It is a way of misleading passengers, unfortunately.

As for the camera, they were switched off sometime last year due to complaints from passengers post MH17, according to the cabin crew when I flew in October 2015. However, in August and September 2014, they were still displaying the camera view on-board. Such a shame!!! .

As for the camera, they were switched off sometime last year due to complaints from passengers post MH17, according to the cabin crew when I flew in October 2015. However, in August and September 2014, they were still displaying the camera view on-board. Such a shame!!! .

Shame indeed. I wish they could have an added an option to activate it (per seat) in the IFE for those who wish to view it. For my earlier flight I actually shied away from selecting a bulkhead seat because I was hoping to see the camera *shakes head*

Hurry up hurry up hurry up let the deal goes through! I don't really care if the jets go to the Turks, the Persian or the Brits. All I want is for all 6 frames to be sold securely.

I even dare to go to the point of suspending LHR to get all 6 frames sold now. Get rid of them once and for all to avoid future headaches.

I think the pressure to take them off the LHR route is somewhat lower, now that fuel prices are much lower than even a month ago.

why would passengers complain about a tail camera?

Hurry up hurry up hurry up let the deal goes through! I don't really care if the jets go to the Turks, the Persian or the Brits. All I want is for all 6 frames to be sold securely.

I even dare to go to the point of suspending LHR to get all 6 frames sold now. Get rid of them once and for all to avoid future headaches.

I think the pressure to take them off the LHR route is somewhat lower, now that fuel prices are much lower than even a month ago.

MH already shot themselves when they sold their third LHR slot. Whoever makes the decision deserves to be shot......

And they cannot afford to sell anymore slot.

MH already shot themselves when they sold their third LHR slot. Whoever makes the decision deserves to be shot......

And they cannot afford to sell anymore slot.

IIRC it wasn't even sold - it was given to AI a while back as a form of repayment or such.

why would passengers complain about a tail camera?

That people had audacity to whinge and rant about MH's snak-boks, naked nasi lemak and Smarties/M&M themed interior deco previously, is ample evidence there is no limit to what human kind will complain about

:D

Oops, as a (semi-retired) keyboard warrior I feel the pedas a bit BC Tam!

Oh dear, not quite the flavour intended :)

Perhaps you may need to adjust to taste with that wonderful seasoning - sarcasm :pardon:

Malaysia Airlines Plans To Keep Six Superjumbo A380s At Least Until 2018 - Ceo Mueller
SINGAPORE, Feb 15 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines plans to keep the six superjumbo A380s 'at least' until 2018, says its Chief Executive Officer Christoph Mueller.
Nonetheless, without deliberating on the plan, Mueller said that "we don't have A380s in excess."
According to recent reports, the airline was trying to dispose off its six A380s, four of which were in service and the other two remained idle.
"We have no problem with the aircraft at this point of time," he told reporters on the sidelines of the Singapore Airshow Aviation Leadership Summit here today.
Asked on the possible addition of A350 aircraft to serve long haul destinations, he just replied "maybe".

Also see: http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/15/reuters-america-airshow-malaysia-airlines-says-delays-airbus-a380-sale-for-two-years-at-least.html

Guess nobody wants them. Was onboard MNA in J, 3 of the front row J seats have reclining problems. When you fully reclined them, you can see bits and pieces of nuts served from the previous flights. No more tail cam view as some pax did complain of some kind pf phobia/uneasiness.

How if the "dugongs" fly to SYD or MEL on frequent basis for another solution? Or still capacity restricted?

Edited by J. Suri

In the Bloomberg interview, the MAB CEO said that 5 aircraft are being used on the double daily LHR route and one for charters. It looks like MH A380 flights to JED are pretty routine these days. So there is no real need to send them to MEL or SYD.

The Australian market has softened since the loss of MH17, when Australian lives were lost.

JED and MED flights are only seasonal. Practically none during non school holiday periods. But in season, 2 frames may doing the runs at the same time.

SYD is done only on rare occasions

Mueller wasnt vary accurate on the usage of the A380. He was was "rounding up" the data by a huge margin.

If they're keeping - better upgrade the product too...

Upgrade might not be a good idea because MH's customer base is mainly low yield and not premium. As MH is having difficulty filling the plane, having a high density configuration (like EK's) is also not a good option. Perhaps, getting rid of first class and having premium economy is they way to go.

However, the stay of execution for the A380 is only until 2018. When the A350s arrive, MAB might have to re-evaluate the situation.

Upgrade might not be a good idea because MH's customer base is mainly low yield and not premium. As MH is having difficulty filling the plane, having a high density configuration (like EK's) is also not a good option. Perhaps, getting rid of first class and having premium economy is they way to go.

However, the stay of execution for the A380 is only until 2018. When the A350s arrive, MAB might have to re-evaluate the situation.

The people can't have royalties and ministers to travel J class to London.

The new MH shouldn't make decisions that only benefit the elite. If F isn't making money, then time for it to go.

The new MH shouldn't make decisions that only benefit the elite .....

Maybe remove that 'burden' from MH/MAB's shoulders and go add a few more executive jets ?

More klass, no ? :D

Give 1 or 2 A380 to the government to convert to Air Force One

there you go now you have the first A380 used by head of state

Edited by DaTan