MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azri M.

LCCT 'bursting at the seams'

As I'm typing this one of the staff member is shouting "TAWAU! TAWAU! TAWAU!" which reminds me of my bas mini days in front of Bangkok Bank when the bus conductors hailed "SOGO! CHOW KIT! THE MALL!!" coaxing you to come on board their pink little devils.

KOTA RAYA! KOTA RAYA! :rofl:

Looks like LCC-T is really a bus terminal now.

Taken from NST online

KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Tony Fernandes does not want marble floors, travellators or aero-bridges at the Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT).

The chief executive officer of AirAsia Bhd will settle for more seating, less passenger congestion, better flight information and more retail outlets.

He just wants LCCT operator, Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB), to improve facilities and services at the terminal.

Fernandes' comments come in the wake of a New Straits Times report yesterday that the LCCT was bursting at the seams with passengers generally unhappy with the situation.

"AirAsia passenger volume has grown from 200,000 five years ago to 18 million currently, and we are looking to hitting 30 million in five years.

"We are not small anymore and MAHB needs to keep pace with our growth and expansion," he added.

Fernandes said the recent accolade of being named Airline of the Year 2007 by the Centre of Asia Pacific Aviation was testimony to its rapid progress.

A MAHB spokesman had earlier indicated that budget airlines should not compare the LCCT to the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), given its budget travel concept.

Fernandes said that while he did not expect the same standards at KLIA, the LCCT needed to offer an adequate number of seats, a flight information display system and more retail offerings.

"The MAHB must get the little details right. We are trying to get more retail outlets into the LCCT in terms of food and beverage and merchandising, but approvals are slow.

"With more retail offering, travellers would be able to walk around and shop as opposed to looking for places to sit."

Fernandes added that AirAsia fully subscribed to the logic of lower expectations.

But MAHB needed to lower its fees, both for airlines and passengers, he said.

"Using the same argument that we should not expect the services and facilities in KLIA, why then are the same charges levied on other airlines that use KLIA placed on us," he asked.

Fernandes is also concerned about the potential delay in MAHB's expansion plans for the terminal building, adding that AirAsia had made the request a year ago.

"We understand that the job (for the extension) has not been tendered out. What's more, the planned new and bigger LCCT will only be ready in 2014. By then, we would have lost our competitive advantage," he said.

Fernandes said the aviation industry the world over was making rapid progress and that competition was getting tougher.

"We are also creating spin-offs for other sectors in the economy. For instance, more businessmen are using our services now. This means that foreign companies would be prompted to set up regional offices here due to the ease and affordability of travel."

MAHB, when contacted, indicated that it would be coming up with a statement soon on issues raised.

from my opinion, TF got his point ,just consistent with my personal opinion about the current LCCT , others i not too sure :unknw:

RM120 mil has been set aside for the the expansion of the LCCT.....work to start early next year..below are the renderings...

DSC05715.jpg

DSC05714.jpg

Edited by Fairul

Thanks for the scoop Fairul. I hope the new LCCT is practical to passengers as it is to airline customers.

I would agree with what TF said about no marble floors etc. There is no time to appreciate such luxurious materials and furnishings as one would be more interested with taking the flight and fly off or arrive and go home / to the hotel.

More seats, good WiFi, more F&B and variety of shops (selling at sensible prices) are all that are necessary. Also, I can do without people hawking their wares such as that at MTB domestic's Flying Emporium. There was even a bloke trying to 'sell' credit cards! Very irritating.

thanks fairul for sharing the plan (is it called plan anyway ? :unknw: ) from what i can see, this is more reasonable interm of area for the LCCT, more space means more seat and more space also means more F&B outlet, not to mentioned it will stretch out the crowd , so that it won't be overcrowded.

In my opinion, luxurios in Low cost travelling is out of the point, but basic or should i say descent facilities need to be provided by MAHB . descent does not link with what MAHB had provided at the current LCCT, what they provided is not sufficient . Let us say about something here, ak's customer do have the spending ability , just don't make it look to should i say "cheap" , but in way also luxurious stuff is not appropriate .

I think MAHB should send a few officers onboard AirAsia X to Gold Coast and have a look at Coolangatta Airport. The airport is this year's CAPA LCC Airport of the Year (incidentally with AirAsia's winning).

Many things can be learnt from the airport in terms of design and facilities.

RM120 mil has been set aside for the the expansion of the LCCT.....work to start early next year..below are the renderings...

DSC05715.jpg

DSC05714.jpg

I believe these renderings have appeared on this forum some months ago, and MAB is sooooo SLOW in executing the plan. We will be looking at 2009 by the time the expansion is completed.

I wonder if this is due to the old-guards that are at the helm of MAB?

In all this, how is the new T2 LCCT at KKIA going? Are operations there smooth? Are passengers there happy with the "feel" of the terminal?? Perhaps the answer is on our own backyard and already on MAHBs cards - hence the plan for the new LCCT to be built adjacent 14L and upon the existing Long-Term carpark - unfortunately killing off KLIA Cowboy Town

So u spent an overnite in LCCT KLIA rite? Hows ur trip back to KBR?

Yes Kenneth. Gained PR status at the CoffeeBean too. Part of the story in the previous page in this thread. Aerial pics of my KBR leg is here.

DSC05715.jpg

DSC05714.jpg

Thanks Fairul.

The drawings... look like a school to me :lol:

I hope they build budget hotel too, with hourly rental.

I believe these renderings have appeared on this forum some months ago, and MAB is sooooo SLOW in executing the plan. We will be looking at 2009 by the time the expansion is completed.

I wonder if this is due to the old-guards that are at the helm of MAB?

this renderings was in the office for quite sometime already..yerp..i did posted this almost a year ago...

I think MAHB should send a few officers onboard AirAsia X to Gold Coast and have a look at Coolangatta Airport. The airport is this year's CAPA LCC Airport of the Year (incidentally with AirAsia's winning).

Many things can be learnt from the airport in terms of design and facilities.

Should MAHB wants to take some ques from OOL, CAPA's LCC Airport of the Year 2007.

DSC03423.jpg

Check-in area for AirAsia X

DSC04120.jpg

Baggage collection area

DSC03427.jpg

Landside duty free outlets

DSC04121.jpg

Departure hall

DSC04127.jpg

Food outlets

DSC04136.jpg

Carpark

DSC04141.jpg

Bus terminal

DSC04154.jpg

Tourist Information Center

DSC04150.jpg

Observation Deck - SPOTTERS ALERT!

DSC04157.jpg

DSC04158.jpg

9M-XAA!

DSC04198.jpg

Holding area

DSC04211.jpg

Full photo album can be view here. http://picasaweb.google.com/azizulzul/GoldCoastAirport

Thanks Fairul.

The drawings... look like a school to me :lol:

I hope they build budget hotel too, with hourly rental.

Agree with you, Fitri!

Tony said they're gonna have a Tune Hotel there to tune the passenger isn't it ?

wow..if there is thing like this here at klia lcct <_ ......i mean this is how it should be....with the obeservation deck i guess won be seating down inside terminal hence there will another vacant seat a solution for lcct cramp also src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_blum.gif" alt=":p"> ) .

thanks for sharing azizul :good: ...just wanto ask one question , coolangatta bigger or klia lcct bigger? i mean i terms of the terminal's area.

Sure Louis, my pleasure. In term of size, KUL LCCT is bigger (terminal size wise) and is handling more passengers and aircraft movements as compared to OOL.

I was surprised to find out that they have an Observation Deck, although it is not a deck per se, more like a nice gazebo.

DSC04158.jpg

...with high fencing between your camera and the aircraft.

At least there's a place where the pax can relax outside the cramped terminal.Is there only 1 of those things???

Yes, only one deck (gazebo). But if you look at the album, there are many places that passengers can sit outside the terminal. The garden next to the bus terminal, the bus terminal itself, the alfresco cafes etc.

i guess the garden idea isn't really suitable for LCCT in KLIA due to our climate here, people would rather cramp inside the air condtioned terminal.

i guess the garden idea isn't really suitable for LCCT in KLIA due to our climate here, people would rather cramp inside the air condtioned terminal.

with a few exception of course, they will always be a few who won't mind sitting/standing under the scorching heat...you know what i mean.. :pardon:

with a few exception of course, they will always be a few who won't mind sitting/standing under the scorching heat...you know what i mean.. :pardon:

i guess i am one of it :p ...but not for too long coz later kena heat stroke :rofl:

...with high fencing between your camera and the aircraft.

in that case, I demand an observation tower :D

Sign in to follow this