MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
adrianqcs

Help me identify the aircraft in this 1984 picture

20 years ago, F27 Canin, note 'new' uniform

f27bki82c.jpg

My first office! Note the mengkuang fans in the seat pocket for pax to fan themselves. Always had to look out for pax trying to tapau them. There were also no closed overhead bins just open hat racks. No bags could be place there. Always had hard time explaining to pax...... memories for the good times :D

My first office! Note the mengkuang fans in the seat pocket for pax to fan themselves. Always had to look out for pax trying to tapau them.

Ahh, one of the specialty found on the F-27, due to the lack of APU. So the a/c is powerless if the propeller does not spin?

By the way Nik, do you have anymore of the F-27 photos? :p

Edited by S V Choong

Wow Nik!! CLASSIC!!

My uncle used to fly the DC10 too for MAS before he moved abroad.

Keep the retro pictures coming!! Loving every single bit of them.

Ahh, one of the specialty found on the F-27, due to the lack of APU. So the a/c is powerless if the propeller does not spin?

By the way Nik, do you have anymore of the F-27 photos? :p

Not really. The engines are started using an electric starter motor, much like a piston plane. And electrical 'x-bleed' (ahem) is used when GEN 1 is on line to power the other starter motor.

Normally F27 ops would require a GPU ( actually a big cart carrying generators plugged into the a/c system. ) that will supply electrical power for lights and MARK 1 cabin ventilation fans. For additional pax comfort we supply MARK2 ventilation fans which we install in the seat pocket and is human powered. :D :D

Aircraft air-con is only effective after take-off as it does not have aircon packs, but just old fashioned Air cycle machine. Normally in the afternoon, the cabin will be fairly hot so cockpit windows open and close is a repetitive activity. After take off, the cabin will cool down and will be at the 'right' temp on achieving cruise, at which time, you actually need heating :rolleyes:

There was this joke about the F27;

Pax; Why so hot aaaaa???

Crew: Because they put two fans outside only.....

As fo F27 photos, i have plenty, but I thought it may bore you guys if I post em.....

As fo F27 photos, i have plenty, but I thought it may bore you guys if I post em.....

You'll find us here a very tolerant lot here, actually. Excepting spotters and simmers labelled as 'stupid' and those having been served MH's lunch box that is ! :) :)

Wah! Nice history lesson! :)

20 years ago..the cabin crew uniform look like the present-day CSA (frontliner) uniform :nea:

Nik, certainly the more the merry!! It is hard for anyone to see the Fokker F-27 in action nowdays, the younger ones are probably as keen as the older members ;) Please if you have more ;)

Very nice to hear the inside stories of the F-27s. I have seen the Mark 1 generator before, it is always parked in front of the plane's nose wasn't it? To be honest, I never realised how hot it was inside the F-27, probably because of my over-excitement while sitting inside the F-27s.

Could you please tell us which type are you piloting nowdays? ;)

Edited by S V Choong

. For additional pax comfort we supply MARK2 ventilation fans which we install in the seat pocket and is human powered. :D :D

:rofl: hahaha sorry forgot to use technical terminology - Mark II ventilation fans! hahaha.

Working on the F27 was the best. It's the only fleet where the cabin and cockpit crew were close with each other. As the planes got bigger they would grow apart unless they were dating......and that's another story not for the forum :rolleyes:

Guest Michael

Don't u just love the sarong kebaya I think the girls look gorgeous in that and it is a good corporate image as well.

sv wrote

Could you please tell us which type are you piloting nowdays?

Primarily a glass topped mahagony desk equipped with a 21 inch CRT and 17 inch LCD.

And occasionally a :good: :good: B777-200. :good: :good:

...and the now famous FSS in the picture will initiate legal proceedings against you for posting her picture without prior consent.......

Edited by Mohd Saat

Primarily a glass topped mahagony desk equipped with a 21 inch CRT and 17 inch LCD.

And occasionally a good.gif good.gif B777-200.

Ooohh... 744 & 744F? I guess you are rated for both 744 and 772?

...and the now famous FSS in the picture will initiate legal proceedings against you for posting her picture without prior consent.......
You know JW???
Ooohh... 744 & 744F? I guess you are rated for both 744 and 772?
NO no no....only B777.

Thanks Capt Nik for the F27 pics. Unfortunately I avoided F27(!!) when it operated under MAS as I recalled, thanks to Alan's recollection, the mengkuang fans which my father had to fan me in the hot and stuffy F27 cabin of MSA in 1970. It put me off F27s ever since.... until I took a ride on MAS' F50 in 2005, followed by FAX and Firefly in recent times. I thought I should enjoy it while it lasts.

The cabin looks similar to B737-200 of the period, and I especially like the colour kite motif on the partition walls. If only something more vibrant is put on current equipment in place of the dull grey types. I feel MAS should drive down the 'kite' brand in as many places possible to build its brand so that it lingers on customers' mind. Even current Wedgwood serviceware for business and first class is lacking on this, what more disposable aluminum casserol dish for economy and generic plastic cutlery and even swizzle sticks.

I agree that many would look forward to anything about the old days of MAS. Personally it was the golden era of MH as I knew it.

snip

I agree that many would look forward to anything about the old days of MAS. Personally it was the golden era of MH as I knew it.

Golden era it may be but no way it can survive in today's business world. As someone celebrating my 27th year with MH, the so called Golden years ( 80s ) holds fond memories of the romance of flight as well as romance inflight ( I was a bachelor then :yahoo: ).

Here's some pics grabbed from a video I made of my F27 years. Sorry about the quality......, but it was 25 years ago....

Morning flight to Lahad Datu

f27001.jpg

Safety briefing

f27002.jpg

Landing Lahad Datu

f27003.jpg

Nik!!

Awesomee!!!!!!!! Sir is there a possibility of us getting a peek too of the video??

Edited by Walter Sim

Yeah, BKI T1 25 years ago - man, has it been that long ?! The terminal must have been spanking new when that pic was taken. Now it's scheduled for partial demolition soon !

Thank you ever so much for those pics Captain Nick - my guess is you've spent a bit of time over this side of South China Sea ?

25 years and it looked exactly the same before the renovation works started (or even before FAX took over the RAS... oh how I missed those days)

Captain Nik, does 777 has 21" CRT display??
No, I was referring to my desk at the Charter Office.
my guess is you've spent a bit of time over this side of South China Sea ?
1981 to 1987. Best flying years and lifestyle...the sea, the islands, the mountains, the jungle, the sky, fresh seafood and great people....BKI has it all.....Adrian, 12,480 is right.....
Nik!!Awesomee!!!!!!!! Sir is there a possibility of us getting a peek too of the video??
Sure, but I'll have to reedit to shorten it so it can be uploaded to youtube.

More Video Grab Pix for your viewing pleasure.......

refuelling

f27apron2.jpg

baggage loading

f27refuel.jpg

handover briefing at the apron

f27apron.jpg

Water Methanol boosted Take Off

f27takeoff.jpg

Mt Kinabalu as we climb thru a layer of stratus

f27cloud.jpg

ancient instrumentation....

f27panel2.jpg

Edited by Nik H.

Nik, hopefully my request not too undue. did you mind to share your videos with us? either under Observation hill or Aviation Collectibles sub-forum. :drinks:

Edited by Samuel Chy

Sign in to follow this