MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Azfar

Malaysia Airline Question....

You are right Pieter,

MUC, went there twice...in a cold cold winter at minus temperature...didn't see the city that well as its too cold and gloomy.

AMS, since it has been 24 hours stay for us...i tried to visit the city as many times as i can..i like the simple city of AMS...walking around is Fun and taking the tramp too.

New York, since Jumbo took over..there goes the smell of NY city, its the city smells i love!! Its busy, dirty and full of life.

CDG..Paris..no proper tour to that city...was on the rush with the short stay.

Hello! Best regards from Mexico; this is my first post here, however I have been reading the topics for a while (thus I'm passing from passive reader to active member :rolleyes: )

I am sorry if I'm "resurrecting" this old topic but I think it's a good place for my questions, since the very first member asked why Malaysian stopped flying to Mexico. I wonder not why, but when did Malaysia cancelled operations at Mexico? Does anyone here remember for how long did MH flew to Mexico, as well as the frequency of their flights? I do remember the route was MEX-LAX-TPE-KUL, and as it was previously noted in this topic, the flights were operated by 747-400.

Finally, congratulations to all the people related to malaysianwings website, you are doing a very nice and interesting job!

Thanks in advance for your help.

I am sorry if I'm "resurrecting" this old topic but I think it's a good place for my questions, since the very first member asked why Malaysian stopped flying to Mexico. I wonder not why, but when did Malaysia cancelled operations at Mexico? Does anyone here remember for how long did MH flew to Mexico, as well as the frequency of their flights? I do remember the route was MEX-LAX-TPE-KUL, and as it was previously noted in this topic, the flights were operated by 747-400.

Poor load, low yield, Mexico is not seem to be in South South camp by our Government and our beloved leader doesn't have a ranch there.

:drinks:

Edited by KK Lee

Hello! Best regards from Mexico; this is my first post here, however I have been reading the topics for a while (thus I'm passing from passive reader to active member :rolleyes: )

Finally, congratulations to all the people related to malaysianwings website, you are doing a very nice and interesting job!

Welcome to MW Mayer, you're the first member from Mexico!!!! :drinks: :clapping:

Maybe there is low yield in MEX (as mentioned by KK Lee).

Hope that doesn't offend you :)

Cheers!!!! :drinks:

Welcome to MW Mayer, you're the first member from Mexico!!!! :drinks: :clapping:

Maybe there is low yield in MEX (as mentioned by KK Lee).

Hope that doesn't offend you :)

Cheers!!!! :drinks:

Thanks a lot for your welcome Andrew! I had no idea I'm the first member from Mexico, but I definitely think this is a very interesting website to learn airline news not only from Malaysia and Asia, but from all the world, considering we live in such a globalized place.

Thanks for your reply -as well as KK Lee's-, I'm sure Mexico is not an attractive destination for MH, but I am trying to research: by any chance do you remember when Malaysia Airlines started/ceased operations at Mexico? I'm talking about 13, 15 years ago, but I do not have -and am interested- in the exact dates.

A second question is: what was the frequency of those MH flights?

I know I'm making difficult questions since they belong to time ago, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards from Mexico!

Welcome to MW Mayer !! I thin the glory days of MH on the LAX-MEX-LAX are long over. If Im not mistaken, they flew twice a week on that route and they had a lot of competition from US and MEX carriers.

For LAX-MEX-LAX route: Mexicana, Aeromexico, American Airlines, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Frontier Airlines and many more carriers were competing against MAS :o .

MAS decided to pull out because of high competition. :pardon:

Poor load, low yield,

Not really. Load was good. You are right about the yield though. But that is not what killed the route, but the government of Mexico. They revoked MAS rights to operate flights between LAX/MEX because of pressure from US and Mexican carriers. Their traffics were badly hit by MAS.

By the way, welcome to Malaysianwings.com :)

Edited by Isaac

Hello Isaac, Andrew, kandiah. Thanks a lot for your comments and replies.

I read MH did very well on the LAX-MEX route when operating it years ago. It seems that it was flying full on the sector, but not to TPE and KUL, then it was a very strong competition for the airlines flying the route at the time (Aeromexico, Mexicana, Delta and United). The rest of the story is that Malaysian discontinued the route after the Government discontinued the 5th freedom rights on the LAX - MEX portion.

It is important to note that MEX-LAX is the most important route from Mexico to any foreign country, in terms of passengers transported. Almost 900,000 PAX flew the route during year 2005. Currently, four airlines operate MEX-LAX: Aeromexico, Mexicana, Alaska and United.

Once again thanks for your help and best regards from Mexico.

Mayer, first of of all welcome to MW!!!Hope we can share lots of Central America aviation :drinks:

Gov interfere is important in this issue because each aims to protect domestic product. Of course when foreign airlines operate LAX-MEX-LAX, better service being offer..............so pax change their option. Good thing too MH didn't get 5th freedom and stop completely this route, less competitions=more money generate. What happen to JL, thought they also interested LAX-MEX-LAX.....what their status Mayer?

For LAX-MEX-LAX route: Mexicana, Aeromexico, American Airlines, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Frontier Airlines and many more carriers were competing against MAS :o .

MAS decided to pull out because of high competition. :pardon:

Nope. MH was doing very well on this sector - between LAX and MEX vv. The reason they stopped was because rights were revoked. Yield back then was still moderately good despite the worldwide trend of gradually declining yields due to added cost pressures in the industry - gradual only because of certain improvements in cost-efficiencies. It is this radical improvement in cost efficiencies where MH lagged and ended up in the situation it is today. High competition was a factor considered by the US DOT in revoking rights for MAS... US Carriers would always get priority and well, MAS just didn't fit into the picture.. so they stopped.

Mayer, first of of all welcome to MW!!!Hope we can share lots of Central America aviation :drinks:

Gov interfere is important in this issue because each aims to protect domestic product. Of course when foreign airlines operate LAX-MEX-LAX, better service being offer..............so pax change their option. Good thing too MH didn't get 5th freedom and stop completely this route, less competitions=more money generate. What happen to JL, thought they also interested LAX-MEX-LAX.....what their status Mayer?

Hey Seth! Thanks for welcoming me to the Forum! I must confess I'm not much aware of Central America aviation issues (i.e., Guatemala, El Salvador, Costa Rica...) but rather on Mexican aviation topics.

As for your question on JL being interested in LAX-MEX-LAX, I was not aware of this news. Is it something you recently heard of? The latest information I knew is that JL and Mexicana Airlines (MX) agreed to expand their code share partnership, in such a way that by the end of March 2007, the airlines will code share on flights operated by MX that fly from Mexico City to Vancouver, and on flights departing Vancouver for Tokyo operated by JL. Besides, JL offers a daily service between Tokyo and Mexico City routed via Los Angeles (i.e., connecting with a MX flight at LAX). Perhaps this is the information you knew Seth?

JL flies 2X a week MEX-YVR-NRT, but for the first time they are facing competition, since Aeromexico (AM) started Mexico-Tijuana-Tokio flights on November 16th. AM flies 2X too, using Boeing 777 equipment. It is my understanding that passenger load factors started slow but have been improving lately (40-50%); however, it is worthy to note that the cargo transported between Tijuana and Tokio is a pivotal factor in AM operations, considering there is a sizeable number of Japanese firms (as well as foreign direct investment) in Baja California, the state where Tijuana is located (only Mexico City has more Japanese firms, Baja California is ranked in second place). I really hope this route works out for Aeromexico!

I look forward to sharing ideas and comments with you and all of the MW Forum members. :clapping:

Best regards from Mexico.

TK : If you like conducting your own walking tours in foreign cities, Munich certainly would fit the bill. Find a map of Munich and the entire area from Hauptbanhof to Marienplatz, the Englishcher Garten, Olympiapark, Schloss Nymphenburg . . . these are all great for tonnes of discovery on foot.

You will find the city most visitor-friendly.

Personally, I am surprised that none of the SE Asian carriers have successfully made Munich a destination. Thai had been there and SIA's plans for SIN-MUC-ORD was topedoed by Lufthansa's opposition. I remember that during the route assessment made by MAS at the time of its Business Turnaround Plan, Frankfurt was not one of its top-performing cities (which really surprised me). With that, I don't think MAS would go anywhere near Munich soon.

Can anyone confirm if KUL-ARN-JFK service is now saved from the axe? I keep reading statements one way or the other. Many thanks.

KC Sim

Erm..does anyone know why MAS isn't part of an alliance? Are there plans for it? Surely the benefits of which would be enormous..no? B)

During Mr-019’s era, ‘doing it my way’, national pride and lost of identity was the reasons given not joining alliance.

MH business model and schedule is still basically 80’s. It remains to be seen whether they will actually join Skyteam in 2 years time.

Mayer, thanx for the information!

About JL, it was rumour at A.net a while ago, I tried to find link to but it seems the search engine rather dissapointed :sorry: But the basic idea is JL try to imply LAX-MEX route but same fate they got with MH...

Edited by Seth K

Can anyone confirm if KUL-ARN-JFK service is now saved from the axe? I keep reading statements one way or the other. Many thanks.

KC Sim

The route is there to stay for the foreseeable future, despite earlier statements to the contrary. Was originally supposed to terminate post 15-Jan-07 but will now continue as per usual. And of course, MH flies to EWR, not JFK.

Hello again. A friend of mine posted interesting information today in a Mexican Aviation Forum, regarding MH flights between MEX-LAX and Asia. According to his data, 183 thousand PAX were transported to/from MEX by MH between 1992 and 1996. 79% of the passengers flew the MEX-LAX-MEX route and only 21% continued to or came from Asia (TPE-KUL). Considering these figures, Mexican and American airlines complained to the government and... well, the rest is history.

Good day.

During Mr-019’s era, ‘doing it my way’, national pride and lost of identity was the reasons given not joining alliance.

MH business model and schedule is still basically 80’s. It remains to be seen whether they will actually join Skyteam in 2 years time.

It was only towards the end of Mr 019s era that Alliances were really bursting onto the scene. OneWorld the most obvious group around the time IIRC. There are other reasons - more probable anyway - as to why MAS hasn't joined an alliance. Theses have been discussed many times here in MWings.com in the GA forum.

Also, at the rate and pace MH are working on their "BTP", and with some of the developments we have seen over the past few months, it really does hint closer at joining an alliance - e.g. Skyteam. In terms of business model and schedule, I'd say MH is still stuck at around 1993-1994 rather than the 80s. my 2 sen.