MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

RM99 to fly KUL-Macau

TheStar

Saturday October 6, 2007

MYT 8:04:00 PM

RM99 to fly to Macau

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia Airlines is offering one-way promotional fares from as low as RM99 (excluding taxes and other charges) for its new Kuala Lumpur-Macau route which starts from Nov 10.

The promotional fare is open from Sunday, Oct 7, until Oct 14 for travel between Nov 10 and Dec 31 this year.

The offer is available through its website www.malaysiaairlines.com, its nationwide ticket offices, appointed travel agents and 24-hour toll-free call centre at 1-300-88-3000.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...mp;sec=business

At first glance I thought ths is the normal AK's promotion to MFM. But when I read it thoroughly, I was surprise that it was MH that is going to fly to MFM. And looks like the MYR 99 fare was snactched up. The cheapest ticket at this moment is on sale for MYR 698 excluding of taxes.

Wow, looks like they have really started adding new destinations (after LHE was announced on 17 September 2007). A quick check at MH's website showed that MFM has been added into their online booking system. It will be served by B734s (thus snackbox and 2 cabin staff in Economy).

But I am wondering about the flight number. The flight will be assigned with the number MH 7056 (KUL-MFM) and MH 7057 (MFM-KUL). It is a well known fact that all flight number started with MH 7XXX are for extra/charter flights. Is this service permanent or just for a specified period of time (like MH's service to Bahrain and Kuwait during Arabian peak summer season)?

The cheapest I can get from AK is RM253 return, including taxes. MAS still way to go with such services...

I wonder, why on earth MH even thinking to go back to MFM. As far as I understand, this market is a low yield market and MFM is not known to have any major airline on their turf. Before we know it, MH will be on the brink of disaster once more, as it tries to compete with AK head to head.

I used to fly to MFM on the B735 during the mid 90s. Hopefully I'll have my chance of revisit soon.

Well, what do you know !

Is MH flying KUL/MFM because they think they can make money there or just cause they see AK going to fly there from four different Malaysian origins soon ?

I sincerely hope this is not some ego issue between the two Datuk's :)

Instead of competing with foreign airlines like SQ, CX, EK, etc, MH is fighting with AK on low yield route like MFM. Understand most AK MFM pax are Chinese girls using AK to validate their Macau visa. Guess MH see itself a LCC instead of legacy airline.

Sad to see MH has lost its direction again.

:drinks:

what can you say? MH is competing head to head with AK using a 737 with snack box. at least its cheaper on AK, and you have choice of things to eat.

Thought I was happy of the new destination, until I read the article in The Star.

The four weekly direct flights would leave Kuala Lumpur at 8.15pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. It departs from Macau at 1am on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday and would arrive back here at 4.50am.

No thanks.

Thought I was happy of the new destination, until I read the article in The Star.

No thanks.

It's not only the crews flying suffer, but the passengers would suffer as well. Why on earth they came out with such a brilliant idea? I really wonder how long they can sustain in this market by offering such time. AK has better time as compared to them as well....

The timings are probably due to fleet utilisation reasons. But all the same, those are some un-social times indeed. Departing KUL at 2015 will get you in around midnight. No Friday night departure and the poor inbound timing for Sunday night/Monday morning renders the service impossible for quick weekend getaways - an increasingly big source of leisure traffic I might add.

The target market here is obviously package tourists to whom price is of greatest concern and everything else secondary. Even then, if AK can compete on pricing yet has the better schedule - I've no doubt that they'd find AK's service more attractive.

The timings are probably due to fleet utilisation reasons.

Not probably, but definitely !!! :pardon:

Isn't that the very same reason for the 'bad' timings of Cebu Pacific at KUL ? :p

AK will be flying to MFM 4 times daily compared with MH’s 4 times weekly, plus MH flight is red eyes. Doubt, MH service will be popular or profitable.

Instead of irritating AK, MH should focus its resources to compete with SQ, TG, CX, EK airlines. May be MH has lost its bottle.

:drinks:

you're right KK - this is the problem with MH. it tries to expand but it chooses its route wrongly and uses low frequencies which will not endear itself to the business travellers - therefore most routes will become filled with low yielding leisure passengers like myself.

then they add ridiculous scheduling to the mix - presto! another loss making route.

they have the advantage of a loyal fan base, good aircraft with great IFE and routes covering all continents. BUT still they can't adjust their schedules to allow their own flights to connect easily at KUL.

why are MH so stupid? they must pay big bucks for people to come up with these schedules...even if you have no bloody clue how to do them - can't they at least copy another successful airline like Emirates or even closer to home, SQ (even though they might 'lose face')? Don't be proud - if they want profits - they have to bite the bullet and go for it. Look at dubai - all flights from europe arrive in waves - which allow connections to the east within a few hours and vice versa.

MH can't be like HY or SU - wait in TAS or SVO 48 hours before connecting somewhere else. that was in the 80s. a long long time ago.

people want to get to places quickly, and at a convenient time.

i am not the expert in these matters, and i understand that there will be other factors involved like time slots in departure/arrival airports, routes, aircraft availability etc etc. But what i don't understand is that WHY can SQ, qatar and emirates do it while we can't????? this is supposed to be bolehland isn't it??

i guess its boleh for certain groups and individuals.

like TF!!!

enough of my ranting. i'm getting more impatient now with MH's stupidity.

Edited by Izanee

I see that MH can never ever hope to compete with the likes of SQ from the day MSA was split in two. I have had an admiration for Singapore Airlines since the 1970s when they always lead in product innovation, even to this day. SQ has had and will continue to have a special place in flyers who expect superior products and services for the money they pay.

Therefore to make MAS perasan that they are superior, it competes with relatively smaller carriers like AK. But then AK is not going to be 'small' for long :) Look at AK's product innovation such as online check-in, more options for online payment like direct debit from bank account,gift vouchers etc. These mean a lot for passengers' convinience. MH meanwhile, is closing tickets offices everywhere and somewhat wants customers to sembah them if they want to buy tickets. Recently discovered KUA town ticket office is closed and passengers must buy at the airport which is a RM25 taxi ride one way.

Edited by Rozhan

oh my god - they are closing ticket offices in towns? didn't realise this. they must be stupid.

cutting costs in the wrong places. i'm sure more money would be saved getting rid of the managers and con-sultants who seem to be destroying this airline from inside.

Sign in to follow this